or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 554

post #16591 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

I have one LP that does not transmit any PSIP data. It shows up with a TSID of 0, but not in the PSIP section.

We used to have one of those in DFW too. No PSIP meant not only no listings but also no time. I was actually surprised that it worked at all! How did my receivers even tune it in without a channel map? (Actually, my converter boxes couldn't agree on which subchannel was 1 and which was 2; another clue that something was hinky.)

They've started sending PSIP since then (still no listings beyond the default "TBA," but at least there's a TSID and time now).
post #16592 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

The times are displayed in GMT; you have to adjust to your local time
That part is right, but
Quote:
(subtract 5 hrs for EST, 6 hours for EDT or CST, 7 hours for CDT or MST, etc.)
That part was not so right.

Subtract four hours for EDT,
five for EST or CDT,
six for CST or MDT,
seven for MST or PDT,
eight for PDT or AKDT,
nine for AKST,
ten for HST.
post #16593 of 18096
So far, after doing a factory reset, 00000 entered for Zip, TVG enabled, immediately followed by two reboots, the clock has been in sync to the second with my W W V B radio-controlled clock for two days now.
post #16594 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I did some research on this a while back, and the answer to all your questions is, "it depends."

A brief intro: PSIP guide data is sent in 3-hour blocks called EITs (Event Information Tables), which means there are eight EITs per subchannel for each 24-hour day included. A maximum of 128 EITs (16 days) is supported, but the most I've seen is just shy of 6 days, which would be 46-47 EITs. There are also ETTs which contain extended text descriptions of the shows.

Factors that affect bandwidth include not only how many EITs and ETTs are sent, but also how often it is sent, and how much detailed info is sent for each program. Typically data further in the future is sent less often, so bandwidth requirements aren't linear (so sending 4 days might require only twice the bandwidth of just sending 1 day). And the way bandwidth is allocated among a station's subchannels and other services also varies greatly, so it's really difficult to give good hard numbers.

But regardless of the details, the vast majority of a subchannel's bandwidth is going to be used by video. I'd be surprised if even the most generous guide used more than 5 percent of the bandwidth used by video.

My observation is that the PSIP data is ephemeral and is sent on pretty much a continuous basis. I say this because anytime you want to refresh the data you can just tune to a channel and frequently the data for a time block comes and goes. By that I mean you can be looking at the guide for a channel and the info will disappear and then a few seconds or minutes later will reappear.
post #16595 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

My observation is that the PSIP data is ephemeral and is sent on pretty much a continuous basis. I say this because anytime you want to refresh the data you can just tune to a channel and frequently the data for a time block comes and goes. By that I mean you can be looking at the guide for a channel and the info will disappear and then a few seconds or minutes later will reappear.

The disappearing and reappearing data seems to be a bug in the DTVPal. There is no question that tuning to a channel will download that stations guide data for how ever many hours they send out. The question has always been how frequently, when the DTVPal is in standby mode, the DTVPal does a channel sweep to keep the guide filled in for all the channels. My PSIP data seems to update about every 2 hours.

Mark
post #16596 of 18096
HEADHONES

Most TV sets do not provide connectors for headphones any more.

Can I use the RCA audio outputs of the CM-7000PAL to connect headphones? (I would use the optical ouput to drive active speakers or a sound system).
post #16597 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post

HEADHONES

Most TV sets do not provide connectors for headphones any more.

Can I use the RCA audio outputs of the CM-7000PAL to connect headphones? (I would use the optical output to drive active speakers or a sound system).
you could, but you'll need additional audio converter box, as headphones has low impedance while RCA output is high impedance circuit
post #16598 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

The disappearing and reappearing data seems to be a bug in the DTVPal. There is no question that tuning to a channel will download that stations guide data for how ever many hours they send out. The question has always been how frequently, when the DTVPal is in standby mode, the DTVPal does a channel sweep to keep the guide filled in for all the channels. My PSIP data seems to update about every 2 hours.

Mark
As EE I would go for a day of gathering I2C commands going to two demod lines and two tuner's chips ... same time, as SW guy I don't see how it would help us:if it's a bug, I can't fix it.

To add some idea how the FW is works: sometimes, when you bring the DVR from standby mode you could see "new stations found ...".
That means: DVR is scanning ALL frequencies during "sleep" mode, parsing PSIP data.
Why it would not parse that part of PSIP what is carry EPG [EIT/ETT] ? It should.
post #16599 of 18096
Verrdun: Sorry, no. RCA audio outputs are what is called "line level", and not designed to drive speakers or headphones. If you do it, you shouldn't blow anything, and you might hear a little something, but it will probably be too weak and you will not have any control over the volume. The sound system to which you will connect does not have a headphone connection?

Edit: P Smith beat me to it...
post #16600 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

...t. The question has always been how frequently, when the DTVPal is in standby mode, .....

Mark

I think the current discussion has to do with band width required to support PSIP, not how the DVR works.
post #16601 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

I think the current discussion has to do with band width required to support PSIP, not how the DVR works.
You can find the answer at Trip's site, after you'll look at TSReader's HTML file for each station: www.rabbitears.info
Edited by P Smith - 4/6/13 at 7:59pm
post #16602 of 18096
My time keeps getting off, by about 8 to 10 seconds/day faster. This makes the end of some of my recordings disappear. I tried the fix that was recommended here, 2 reboots in a row. It changed the clock a full minute ahead, so I then set the time myself. But now the time keeps advancing again. It's not a huge deal, I can go in and change the time every few days, but it's a little annoying. Has anyone found any other fixes for this problem? Thanks!
post #16603 of 18096
First a couple of questions.

On the remote press Menu- 3 -2 - 6, PgDn until you see "PSIP (5), state: 0x4404, elements: xx." How may elements?

Have you done a factory reset since TVGOS ended?
post #16604 of 18096
So far, the factory reset followed by two reboots (my post 16590) seems to be working. I'm thinking the unit has to be in standby mode for the clock to adjust itself. Pal#1 drifted ahead yesterday about 10 seconds fast, was On in use for about 15 hours. Set to Off-Standby mode last night, this morning the clock is within 2 seconds of real time now. As Mabuttra mentioned before, manually entering a time seems to interrupt this self adjust, so best to leave it alone to settle.

With Pal#2 that I had only done two reboots, the clock continued to drift ahead after it initially found the time and date. So I did the factory reset and two reboots to it, first the time was 20 sec ahead, then overnight it adjusted itself within 4 seconds, so it seems to have worked on that one too.
post #16605 of 18096
Same question to you too ED. On the remote press Menu- 3 -2 - 6, PgDn until you see "PSIP (5), state: 0x4404, elements: xx." How may elements?
post #16606 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

Same question to you too ED. On the remote press Menu- 3 -2 - 6, PgDn until you see "PSIP (5), state: 0x4404, elements: xx." How may elements?
21
post #16607 of 18096
Does anyone else have more than 21?
post #16608 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

First a couple of questions.

On the remote press Menu- 3 -2 - 6, PgDn until you see "PSIP (5), state: 0x4404, elements: xx." How may elements?

Have you done a factory reset since TVGOS ended?

I have done a reset since TVGOS ended (the kind where you don't lose your already-recorded programs, but you lose all your program & channel setups, and have to re-do them. Is that factory reset?) My PSIP program guide is working fine, the TVGOS logo is totally gone, and my zip is set to 00000. I'll make note of the Menu thing and try it a bit later when I'm at my CM7000, and get back to you on that. Thanks ~ I'll be back in touch.
post #16609 of 18096
Yes, you have done a factory reset. Did you do the 2 warm boots after the factory reset?

After thought -- indoor or outdoor antenna?
Edited by Pete-N2 - 4/7/13 at 8:45am
post #16610 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

My time keeps getting off, by about 8 to 10 seconds/day faster. This makes the end of some of my recordings disappear. I tried the fix that was recommended here, 2 reboots in a row. It changed the clock a full minute ahead, so I then set the time myself. But now the time keeps advancing again. It's not a huge deal, I can go in and change the time every few days, but it's a little annoying. Has anyone found any other fixes for this problem? Thanks!

After you do the two back-to-back soft reboots your clock will adjust to the "weighted mean" of the PSIP times in your area. Once you manually set the clock (as you did) you no longer have a "lock" to the PSIP times and your clock will drift fast by about 8 seconds per day (as others have reported here).

If your time is not accurate when using PSIP times you should contact the local offending stations and tell them that their PSIP times are off. You can read back in this thread to see how to identify each station in your diagnostics list and how far off each station's PSIP time is. It is generally assumed that drastic outliers are disregarded by the DVR for the "weighted mean" calculation. Anyway this is one "other fix" to the problem that you asked about.
post #16611 of 18096
The other "fix" to the problem is to find the stations that are running fast and delete them from your list of channels so they stop skewing your clock. Of course, you can only do that if they are channels that you don't want to record.
post #16612 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The other "fix" to the problem is to find the stations that are running fast and delete them from your list of channels so they stop skewing your clock. Of course, you can only do that if they are channels that you don't want to record.
I my case, that did not help. The offending station still showed in the diagnostics even after being deleted.
I finally got someone at the station to set their clock, which fixed my problem.
post #16613 of 18096
Oh boy!!!!... My DTVPal seems to be having a problem. It went into its TVGOS reboot cycle but will not come out of it. It shows the DTVPal logo and says it is downloading; then goes to a black screen, but never get to the green progress bar. It just recycles round and round. I've unplugged it and replugged it but it won't get out of the TVGOS download cycle.

Does this mean my DTVPal is finished??? Any suggestions to get it out of this loop???
Time for a Tivo Premire????
Gary
Edited by goddi1 - 4/7/13 at 3:54pm
post #16614 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddi1 View Post

Oh boy!!!!... My DTVPal seems to be having a problem. It went into its TVGOS reboot cycle but will not come out of it. It shows the DTVPal logo and says it is downloading; then goes to a black screen, but never get to the green progress bar. It just recycles round and round. I've unplugged it and replugged it but it won't get out of the TVGOS download cycle.

Does this mean my DTVPal is finished??? Any suggestions to get it out of this loop???
Time for a Tivo Premire????
Gary
Look above - there are posted a few methods ... unplug coax, press Menu, get Reset to Default ... if nothing will help, I could re-program your DVR's flash memory and cleanup all user/system changes to factory level
post #16615 of 18096
Greetings,
I tried to search for solutions to this problem but I could not find anything relating to it...I probably don't have the right words.
However, I did unplug the coax, but that has no effect on the problem. It still comes up with the TVGOS attempts to load and just loops and loops. I can not get the remote to communicate with the DVRPal at all.
Can you tell me what the method is to "reprogram the DVR's flash memory...."?
Thanks...
Gary
post #16616 of 18096
Quote:
Can you tell me what the method is to "reprogram the DVR's flash memory...."?
read my posts in the thread (I did explain it many times)
Quote:
I tried to search for solutions to this problem but I could not find anything relating to it...I probably don't have the right words.
take your time - read the thread, just read and you'll find many advises
post #16617 of 18096
(I hope I'm posting properly to this forum -- I've not done this much.)

I wanted to let people know that today I bought an RCA universal remote set that included the RCR6373R/RCR6473R and RCR3273R/RCR3373R remotes. Neither has a "DVR" button like the original that came with the DTVPal, but I was able to get to the DVR functions by pressing the menu button and navigating to the DVR area from there. I have not used either one much so far, but they both seemed to work using the code 50775. I specifically tried controlling a previously recorded program and was able to play, pause, fast forward. So I'm hoping that at least the RCR6373R (the larger remote) will "play well" with the receiver/recorder box.
post #16618 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfavero View Post

(I hope I'm posting properly to this forum -- I've not done this much.)

I wanted to let people know that today I bought an RCA universal remote set that included the RCR6373R/RCR6473R and RCR3273R/RCR3373R remotes. Neither has a "DVR" button like the original that came with the DTVPal, but I was able to get to the DVR functions by pressing the menu button and navigating to the DVR area from there. I have not used either one much so far, but they both seemed to work using the code 50775. I specifically tried controlling a previously recorded program and was able to play, pause, fast forward. So I'm hoping that at least the RCR6373R (the larger remote) will "play well" with the receiver/recorder box.

If you want a brand-new genuine Dish remote you can get one on eBay for $6.25 with free shipping included. It's the Dish 20.1 learning remote and it is just about identical to the original Dish DTVPal DVR remote (with only a couple of minor differences). The eBay item number is 280784044482 and there are currently 142 available. Read back in this thread for further information on this Dish remote.
post #16619 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

Yes, you have done a factory reset. Did you do the 2 warm boots after the factory reset?

After thought -- indoor or outdoor antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

After you do the two back-to-back soft reboots your clock will adjust to the "weighted mean" of the PSIP times in your area. Once you manually set the clock (as you did) you no longer have a "lock" to the PSIP times and your clock will drift fast by about 8 seconds per day (as others have reported here).

If your time is not accurate when using PSIP times you should contact the local offending stations and tell them that their PSIP times are off. You can read back in this thread to see how to identify each station in your diagnostics list and how far off each station's PSIP time is. It is generally assumed that drastic outliers are disregarded by the DVR for the "weighted mean" calculation. Anyway this is one "other fix" to the problem that you asked about.

To answer the questions: yes, I did the 2 soft boots after the factory reset, but apparently, since I then re-set the clock myself, it neutralized the boots and started moving ahead on its own again. I will try another couple of soft boots, and then not set the clock myself, to see what is going on. I have an indoor powered antenna, and in answer to PeteN2, there are 14 elements (and I have absolutely no idea what that means wink.gif

I'm going back to square one on the clock issue and I'll see what happens. Thanks!
post #16620 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post


To answer the questions: yes, I did the 2 soft boots after the factory reset, but apparently, since I then re-set the clock myself, it neutralized the boots and started moving ahead on its own again. I will try another couple of soft boots, and then not set the clock myself, to see what is going on. I have an indoor powered antenna, and in answer to PeteN2, there are 14 elements (and I have absolutely no idea what that means wink.gif

I'm going back to square one on the clock issue and I'll see what happens. Thanks!

I would also give the clock 24 hours to settle in after the two reboots. It seems that people initially experience a larger amount of error right after the double reboot, but then it settles in over the next several hours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!