or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 562

post #16831 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

I have the manual with all the info you could possibly want. It is the Seagate ST1000VM002 drive. No jumpers are being used.

ST1000VM002.pdf 316k .pdf file

I guess I guessed right. Honestly I couldn't find anything in the manual that explains this drive not working in the Pal, except maybe for this (in section 3.2):
Quote:
... if you connect the drive and receive a “drive not detected” error, your SATA-equipped motherboard or host adapter may use a chipset that does not support SATA speed autonegotiation.

If that's the issue, it may just not be possible to use SATA III (6 GB/s) drives with the Pal, unless they can be jumpered to force SATA II (3 GB/s) mode. It doesn't appear the ST1000VM002 can be jumpered that way. frown.gif

I don't think using an external drive enclosure would get around this, but (edit) it might. It could even work with some enclosures but not others.
Edited by JHBrandt - 5/7/13 at 7:40am
post #16832 of 18096
We need just second try ... guessing could go on for long time ...
I've seen similar model but "DM" instead of "VM" (not a Pipeline), I could try it, but it wouldn't answer to the LenL's question.
post #16833 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

We need just second try ... guessing could go on for long time ...
I've seen similar model but "DM" instead of "VM" (not a Pipeline), I could try it, but it wouldn't answer to the LenL's question.

Thanks all of you for following on this. At the moment I can't take that drive and use it in a test as it is in use and loaded with stuff. Perhaps later this summer I can play with it in an external enclosure and do one more testing with the DTVPAL.

I would suspect as time goes on and people have to replace drives with newer 1 TB models we will also learn more.

PS. PSMITH I received my DTVPAL that you repaired on Monday and will be hooking it back up later this week. Now that I have 2 DTVPALs back in use I can start thinking about hooking the Seagate ST1000VM002 drive to an external inclosure and testing it again as soon as I can free it up.
post #16834 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I've seen similar model but "DM" instead of "VM" (not a Pipeline), I could try it, but it wouldn't answer LenL's question.

The VM is a 5900 RPM drive for DVRs. The DM was a 7200 RPM drive, presumably for PCs. Other than that, they seem identical (both SATA III, etc.). If you have an unused one on hand, go ahead and try it (both internally and in an external enclosure if you can). Your test results might not help LenL but they could help someone else.
post #16835 of 18096
I'm in the Philadelphia area and my DTVPal still seems to be confused about Daylight Savings time, shifting scheduled recordings by an hour almost every day. Is this normal? When can I expect it to settle in?
post #16836 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post

I'm in the Philadelphia area and my DTVPal still seems to be confused about Daylight Savings time, shifting scheduled recordings by an hour almost every day. Is this normal? When can I expect it to settle in?
Definitely not, it should have been many weeks ago (for me). Maybe check to see if the stations' times are correct? Do a factory reset?
post #16837 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfveda View Post

Do you still have the DTVPal pvr unit for sale? If this is the same as a CM-7000pal I'd be interested in purchasing one of your two units as described.
If one is still available, drop me a line soon.

sincerely, cosmo mercurio

Who are you talking to?
post #16838 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

The VM is a 5900 RPM drive for DVRs. The DM was a 7200 RPM drive, presumably for PCs. Other than that, they seem identical (both SATA III, etc.). If you have an unused one on hand, go ahead and try it (both internally and in an external enclosure if you can). Your test results might not help LenL but they could help someone else.
Can't test the DM drive (discontinued at Fry's), but I have two latest models from WDC and one from Toshiba 1 TB for tests.
To be continue ...
post #16839 of 18096
The report.
All three new 1 TB drives working fine for TR-50 when used in TT BlacX (eSATA/USB) dock:

  • WDC WD10EZEX (Blue) $75
  • WDC WD10EZRX (Green) $80
  • Toshiba DT01ACA100 (White) $70 (on sale)

Tests concluded as simultaneous writing from both tuners, reboot, play both recordings.
Prices at local Fry's.
Edited by P Smith - 5/9/13 at 1:34pm
post #16840 of 18096
Retested with direct connection (TT BlacX has internal controller !) all drives - no problem. Used Vantec Easy SWAP 4 model to switch drives with a comfort.
post #16841 of 18096
My latest issue.

When DTVPAL #1 died I decided to take the HD and use it in DTVPAL #2 since there was a lot of stuff recorded. SO I moved it over only to find that DTVPAL #2 was having issues reading the old recordings on the drive. The programs that were recorded would show up in the listing but when I clicked to view them the request would either be ignored or a blank screen would show up. Anything that was new was fine I could watch it.

So when I got DTVPAL #1 back from the repair shop I moved the HD back to it and the same symptoms. Any new recordings from DTVPAL # 2 were fine.

Any ideas?
post #16842 of 18096
You missed the time ... you should sent it with a drive ...now it's too late.
Sometimes IDX file is corrupted; DVR cannot play without the file , it will show blank screen or will not start play at all.
post #16843 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

You missed the time ... you should sent it with a drive ...now it's too late.
Sometimes IDX file is corrupted; DVR cannot play without the file , it will show blank screen or will not start play at all.

Yup...that's what is happening. Is that on the hard drive? Because both DTVPALS have the same problem. If it is on the HD is there anyway I can fix it? How do you fix it? You have software?
post #16844 of 18096
Definitly the issue is related to bad sector(s) or/and corruption of files on the drive. Nope, you can't fix it - if DVR OS21 didn't find problem on the drive during a boot (the Recovery of file system running each reboot), then the problem is more serious). It's more complicated process then just run some program. Similar to what Ontrack company doing. You could send the drive for an assessment ...
post #16845 of 18096
About bad sectors and health of the drive: use Victoria, get SMART, run Scan with Remap, take SMART again and post results here or PM me.
post #16846 of 18096
Austin PAL owners . . . did any of you record CSI on Wednesday and only get the SAP channel? Happened to me. Couldn't get it to switch from the button on the remote. Trying to determine whether it's KEYE or a quirk in my machine. Thanks.
post #16847 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

Austin PAL owners . . . did any of you record CSI on Wednesday and only get the SAP channel? Happened to me. Couldn't get it to switch from the button on the remote. Trying to determine whether it's KEYE or a quirk in my machine. Thanks.

May not have been the station, I have one (of 5) DTVPALDVRs that occasionally will record only the SAP soundtrack.

Here is text from a previous post I made on this quirk from 10/6/2012:

Quote:
One time I recorded a program with the DTVPal DVR, and the audio track was entirely in Spanish. Checking back on the SAP settings there was nothing to indicate that anything had changed. Other people I talked to that watched the program live said it was in English on their sets.

Another time I was recording a prime time movie at the same time I was watching it (one of the Jesse Stone dramas). I noticed right off that the program audio track sounded strange. All the background (surround?) sounds were quite loud, and there was no music track at all. After a few minutes of the introductory credits rolling and the characters finally appeared on screen I realized there were no voices present. (This is very similar to what Pete-N2 just posted, but not quite the same.) I thought this was strange that the broadcasters could have made such a mistake, and that they must be getting a lot of calls complaining, especially with such a hyped up show. When commercials came on, they appeared normal. When the commercials ended and the program came back on, there was still no main audio information. I checked the TV and DVR settings to see if SAP had been selected, and both indicated that English was the only choice available. Pressing the SAP buttons on the DVR and TV made no difference. I then went into another room and turned on the TV to find the audio track was normal in that room. Both TVs were being fed by DTVPal DVRs, both with identical settings and the same (F208) software. I never did find out why the one box played and recorded only the background audio and not the main track. I asked here, but was told by an "expert" here that what I described was impossible, as he said the additional background audio is not broadcast separate from the main program. But in actuality, the main audio track was absent on one DVR while simultaneously present on another.

A third time was similar to the first instance. I was watching an old rerun of "Cops" on the local "MyNetworkTV" channel and the audio was again in Spanish. I checked the SAP, and English was the only choice available. I turned on a 2nd DTVPal DVR to find it in English on that one. I went back to the first one, turned it off and back on, still in Spanish. I then did a reboot (Hold power button down until it reboots) and when it came back on the audio was then in English, as it should have been.

So there is a quirk somewhere, I'm not the only one to have reported it here in this thread in the past, but it is apparently a rare occurrence. As such, there is likely no cure, it must be an incompatibility somewhere between the broadcast signal and the DTVPal DVR, and only appears as an occasional glitch.
post #16848 of 18096
Yeah, it's happened to me before too but not for a while. I recorded a lot on Wednesday and everything else was fine. Go figure.
post #16849 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Definitly the issue is related to bad sector(s) or/and corruption of files on the drive. Nope, you can't fix it - if DVR OS21 didn't find problem on the drive during a boot (the Recovery of file system running each reboot), then the problem is more serious). It's more complicated process then just run some program. Similar to what Ontrack company doing. You could send the drive for an assessment ...

I think what happened was the drive was internal and I recorded a lot of stuff and then moved it to an enclosure. Somehow doing that got it messed up.
post #16850 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

I think what happened was the drive was internal and I recorded a lot of stuff and then moved it to an enclosure. Somehow doing that got it messed up.
It should be checked for SMART/Scan perhaps been moved/hit during recoding..
post #16851 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

It should be checked for SMART/Scan perhaps been moved/hit during recoding..

If I connect the enclosure to my WIN7 PC would windows do a scan on a drive formatted by DTVPAL and fix the Index? (I think the answer is no) Or could I do this with my PC with a Linux distro?
post #16852 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

If I connect the enclosure to my WIN7 PC would windows do a scan on a drive formatted by DTVPAL and fix the Index? (I think the answer is no) Or could I do this with my PC with a Linux distro?
Windows will advise you to create MBR on it (as it looks as unformatted fo Win OS), you should skip that step and just run Victoria for obtain SMART and run Scan.
IDX file created by DVR's OS - OS21, nor Win nor Linux have tools to fix the drive and/or files.


[ Keys from the "kingdom" stored in Eldon, UK and in Colorado... perhaps some of them could be found in Silicon Valley, accidentally smile.gif ]
Edited by P Smith - 5/11/13 at 8:25am
post #16853 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Windows will advise you to create MBR on it (as it looks as unformatted fo Win OS), you should skip that step and just run Victoria for obtain SMART and run Scan.
IDX file created by DVR's OS - OS21, nor Win nor Linux have tools to fix the drive and/or files.


[ Keys from the "kingdom" stored in Eldon, UK and in Colorado... perhaps some of them could be found in Silicon Valley, accidentally smile.gif ]

I really don't think the HD is bad. I guess the only thing to do with DTVPAL recordings that can't be viewed due to the index file being messed up is to delete the files. Which I strange. It can find the files to delete them but it can't find them to view.
post #16854 of 18096
So, you've only one option - check physical integrity of the drive.

After that (two days before your post here , I guided another person with DVR's issue, and he used Victoria to found out his 6 months old drive [WDC] become useless as it developed a lot of slow reading sectors and many bad sectors), you could go for next step.
But before HDD checking you shouldn't go further.
post #16855 of 18096
Is it possible to use the PalDVR 'Reformat' command to re-establish correct operating conditions with this HD? Since he can not access the existing recordings and repair of damaged information (which I assume is recorded on the HD during 'Reformat') is not practical, it would appear to me that this operation would be a simple test of whether the HD can be salvaged or not.

Donald1800
post #16856 of 18096
HDD [hard disk drive] should be tested for physical conditions before continue on logical level (file system); using MHDD (preferable) or Victoria would be necessary [or mandatory] step in beginning of troubleshooting, and fixing.

[ "HD" is HiDef acronym]

PS. I would propose more practical view - is the recordings are valuable for LenL to spend resources for fix it or not?
If not, the "Reformat" would be practical solution, but only if he will get full info about functioning the HDD as a device.
post #16857 of 18096
Thanks for all the tips.

Just so you know that since I had it hooked up for the past month or so with an enclosure everything I have recorded (maybe 30 plus shows) I have been able to view. Not one issue with the more recent recordings. The problems I have is with stuff from 3/8 and earlier.

If the drive was failing I think I would have had issues with something from 3/8 on that I recorded.

Anyway, since I am running out of new stuff to view I might just reformat the drive using the DTVPAL format utility and be done with it. Most of the old stuff I can't watch are PBS shows that will probably be on rerun during the summer.... so I can catch up with them at that point.
post #16858 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Most of the old stuff I can't watch are PBS shows that will probably be on rerun during the summer.... so I can catch up with them at that point.
Most PBS shows can be viewed on their website.
post #16859 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Thanks for all the tips.

Just so you know that since I had it hooked up for the past month or so with an enclosure everything I have recorded (maybe 30 plus shows) I have been able to view. Not one issue with the more recent recordings. The problems I have is with stuff from 3/8 and earlier.

If the drive was failing I think I would have had issues with something from 3/8 on that I recorded.

Anyway, since I am running out of new stuff to view I might just reformat the drive using the DTVPAL format utility and be done with it. Most of the old stuff I can't watch are PBS shows that will probably be on rerun during the summer.... so I can catch up with them at that point.

Here is the catch: if these recordings took sectors what are degraded since and become unreadable. after reformatting the drive you will come to same issue.
That's why important to run scan [MHDD or Victoria], get assurance your drive is OK and then make clear decision: replace the drive or just reformat and continue use it.
post #16860 of 18096
I think P Smith is right: you should check your drive with an HDD utility just to be sure there aren't bad sectors where your old, inaccessible recordings are. You don't want to run into the same issue after you delete them or reformat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Retested with direct connection (TT BlacX has internal controller !) all drives - no problem. Used Vantec Easy SWAP 4 model to switch drives with a comfort.

The TT BlacX's internal controller may be the key to letting the Pal work with LenL's 1 TB Seagate drive. (The Pal's controller can't talk to the drive directly, but it can talk to the BlacX, so if the BlacX can talk to the drive, LenL should be all set.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!