or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 567

post #16981 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Question:

I remember someone once posted a different and more permanent way to Delete a channel so it does not come back. Just deleting it does not help since the channels eventually come back.

Could some one please post the procedure?

I answered your exact same question when you asked it in this thread last week on Memorial Day. You asked for a "holiday gift" to get an answer to your question. Your original question from Memorial Day and my detailed step-by-step response from the same day can be found here.
post #16982 of 18096
Déjà vu ? smile.gif
post #16983 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

I answered your exact same question when you asked it in this thread last week on Memorial Day. You asked for a "holiday gift" to get an answer to your question. Your original question from Memorial Day and my detailed step-by-step response from the same day can be found here.
I forgot. Been really busy. Now I remember why I never did it. My aunt can not use a password
post #16984 of 18096
You should really invest into Internet remote control (from your browser to IR blaster at Pal DVR in aunt's home), perhaps you could use Sling for that ?
post #16985 of 18096
Here's how I deal with unwanted channels coming in from afar late at night. I have an amp hooked to my antenna. It's on a timer that switches off before most of those stations would get picked up up the middle of the night. Every so often one pops in but rarely.
post #16986 of 18096
It'd been a while since I had one and that was for a short period of time, but if you 'skip' that channel, doesn't that prevent it from appearing again since it is already is the channel table? Or, is it a actual deletion of that channel?
post #16987 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

I forgot. Been really busy. Now I remember why I never did it. My aunt can not use a password
That may be a good thing, Set the DVR up as a turn key system and she can do everything she needs to do and can not mess much up.

I have never had a problem with channels coming back once I delete them from the list unless I do a factory defaults reset but as I remember it you can lock individual channels.

I hate to say it but maybe you are not giving your aunt enough credit or maybe she just should not be allowed around technology. We are not talking about anything here that you could not write out a set of step by step instructions for her to follow.
post #16988 of 18096
Which of the Dish Network universal remotes work best with the DTVPal DVR? I see 3 different versions available on Amazon.
post #16989 of 18096
any will do same, choose what you like, with DVR control buttons (I'd like model 20)
post #16990 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

It'd been a while since I had one and that was for a short period of time, but if you 'skip' that channel, doesn't that prevent it from appearing again since it is already is the channel table? Or, is it a actual deletion of that channel?

There's no "skip" other than hiding it with the parental controls, but you can simply delete a channel. Experience with deleting channels seems to vary, though.

I've never had a channel return after deleting it, and I've never had a channel added automatically after setting a password. But many others have reported seeing both of these things happen.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with how often the channel comes in. It may be if you delete a channel that's always there, it won't return. But if you delete a channel that came in one night via tropo but that can't normally be received, after some time the DTVPal "forgets" about the channel. Then, if it comes in via tropo again, the Pal adds it back (since it "forgot" that you deleted it).

That's only a hypothesis at this point though. I'm still trying to confirm it.
post #16991 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Which of the Dish Network universal remotes work best with the DTVPal DVR? I see 3 different versions available on Amazon.

Like P Smith, I use the Dish model 20.1 remote. I believe another person recommended this model recently also. There are a few seldom-used buttons that are labeled differently but it's very nearly an exact replacement. It also has a "learning" function so you can often teach it to work with other devices better than with the preprogrammed code book.
post #16992 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

I answered your exact same question when you asked it in this thread last week on Memorial Day. You asked for a "holiday gift" to get an answer to your question. Your original question from Memorial Day and my detailed step-by-step response from the same day can be found here.
I forgot. Been really busy. Now I remember why I never did it. My aunt can not use a password

I think you should give it a try at least. Just use a password that's all the same digit, such as 9999. Easy to remember and easy to enter with the remote. Go through the various functions yourself so you can see where the password prompt comes up.

I would think if your aunt would have trouble with a password, she's probably not getting into the setup menu very much, so she won't see the password prompt very often. But show her where the prompt will come up in her normal use, and tell her "when you see this, hit the "9" (or whichever) key four times." Let her try it while you're there; if it's too much you can always unlock the DVR again.



An unrelated fix might be to do something like Golinux's suggestion: forget about the Pal itself; instead, do something to block the unwanted station(s). Could you let us in on your aunt's city, and the specific station(s) giving her trouble?
post #16993 of 18096
I wonder why EchoStar would not consider releasing a new and updated version of the DTVPal. It is by far the best consumer DVR released for OTA antenna. I use it mainly as an HD tuner box and it is excellent. Great pic quality and good tuner. Do any of the Dish Network VIP boxes have an OTA input, or just a satellite DVR? I know TiVo is also a good box, but a bit different. And not trying to start that debate here.
post #16994 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I wonder why EchoStar would not consider releasing a new and updated version of the DTVPal. It is by far the best consumer DVR released for OTA antenna. I use it mainly as an HD tuner box and it is excellent. Great pic quality and good tuner...
AFAIK because OTA DVRs did not sell a lot as that they wanted. There aren't that many OTA viewers like us compared to cable, satellite, etc. frown.gif
post #16995 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

...Do any of the Dish Network VIP boxes have an OTA input, or just a satellite DVR?...
[offtopic]
Many.... 811/211/622/722/813/913 - 1 OTA, 722k/922 -2 OTA See dish site for all models
[/offtopic]
post #16996 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I wonder why EchoStar would not consider releasing a new and updated version of the DTVPal. It is by far the best consumer DVR released for OTA antenna. I use it mainly as an HD tuner box and it is excellent. Great pic quality and good tuner. Do any of the Dish Network VIP boxes have an OTA input, or just a satellite DVR? I know TiVo is also a good box, but a bit different. And not trying to start that debate here.

It is not in there best interest or their business model to encourage people to use OTA. Quite the opposite. Especially if they are losing their customer base.
post #16997 of 18096
Echostar is now a separate company from Dish Network, so in theory they shouldn't be troubled by business that hurts Dish. However, they don't sell anything to end users. They would need an order from someone (like Channel Master, say) in order to start producing OTA DVRs again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I wonder why EchoStar would not consider releasing a new and updated version of the DTVPal. It is by far the best consumer DVR released for OTA antenna. I use it mainly as an HD tuner box and it is excellent. Great pic quality and good tuner...
AFAIK because OTA DVRs did not sell a lot as that they wanted. There aren't that many OTA viewers like us compared to cable, satellite, etc. frown.gif

Yes. The way around it would be to make their next DVR work with both OTA and cable. (And since clear QAM signals are now a threatened species, the tuner would need to be CableCARD compatible.)
post #16998 of 18096
JH,

If it hurts DISH would it not hurt their bottom line too? If some people are buying OTA DVRS but most of their business is from DISH where is there money maker? DISH or the PALDVR? I suspect they really care about DISH being successful. There really is not enough money in the OTA market otherwise there would be more devices from more companies.
post #16999 of 18096
I did say "in theory" wink.gif I guess your point is that if Echostar sold more OTA/cable products (like an imagined DTVPal II), it'd discourage folks from switching from OTA and/or cable to satellite, so they'd wind up selling fewer satellite receivers to Dish. I doubt it'd be a net loss for Echostar though. Few potential DTVPal II sales would come at the expense of Dish Hopper sales smile.gif

Besides, even if Echostar declined an order from CM, CM would probably just turn elsewhere, as they did with the CM-7400. So refusing to make a DTVPal II wouldn't protect their satellite receiver business much.
post #17000 of 18096
My unit keeps freezing-up. I have done everything suggested to fix the problem (reset to factory defaults, hard drive reformat etc.) Has anyone else experienced this problem and replaced the hard drive to solve the problem? Reformat of hard drive shows no errors. signal strength is fine.
Edited by hevan49 - 6/10/13 at 10:14am
post #17001 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

My unit keeps freezing-up. I have done everything suggested to fix the problem (reset to factory defaults, hard drive reformat etc.) Has anyone else experienced this problem and replaced the hard drive to solve the problem? Reformat of hard drive shows no errors. signal strength is fine.
I've seen similar symptom in three or four devices, all of them had CPU problem (failed). I would guess it's developed during these years of 24/7 overheating the CPU, it's sit inside of metal can with tiny holes at sides. Counting the fan is working not often, you could imagine such outcome. I got new CPU, will see how the process of replacement it will goes ...
post #17002 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I did say "in theory" wink.gif I guess your point is that if Echostar sold more OTA/cable products (like an imagined DTVPal II), it'd discourage folks from switching from OTA and/or cable to satellite, so they'd wind up selling fewer satellite receivers to Dish. I doubt it'd be a net loss for Echostar though. Few potential DTVPal II sales would come at the expense of Dish Hopper sales smile.gif

Besides, even if Echostar declined an order from CM, CM would probably just turn elsewhere, as they did with the CM-7400. So refusing to make a DTVPal II wouldn't protect their satellite receiver business much.

However if they make more money (and we will never know the financials) selling units for satellite versus OTA then it is a no brainer and possibly explains why they no longer are involved with the DTVPAL. Profits talk and drive the business. Just my take.
post #17003 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

My unit keeps freezing-up. I have done everything suggested to fix the problem (reset to factory defaults, hard drive reformat etc.) Has anyone else experienced this problem and replaced the hard drive to solve the problem? Reformat of hard drive shows no errors. signal strength is fine.

exactly what is happening? Are you having it happen when you turn it on, viewing recordings, changing channels etc? A little more info will help us help you.
post #17004 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I've seen similar symptom in three or four devices, all of them had CPU problem (failed). I would guess it's developed during these years of 24/7 overheating the CPU, it's sit inside of metal can with tiny holes at sides. Counting the fan is working not often, you could imagine such outcome. I got new CPU, will see how the process of replacement it will goes ...

Not sure I understand. Do you now have a potential replacement CPU? Have you been able to replace the CPU in a DTVPAL and bring it back to working again or have you yet to do this?
post #17005 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

However if they make more money (and we will never know the financials) selling units for satellite versus OTA then it is a no brainer and possibly explains why they no longer are involved with the DTVPAL. Profits talk and drive the business. Just my take.
As I aware of such business' "mechanics", if you did development and did first (and second batch with CM) wave of manufacturing/selling ... it would become profitable with a continuation; give it to any chineese/taiwaneese mfg and they will make it for 75% of cost, also no need to invest in FW support for now - big saving in a cost smile.gif
post #17006 of 18096
Here’s a weird problem that just happened to my Channel Master CM-7000PAL (the Dish DTVPal dvr twin).

After four years of constant use, I finally decided to open up my DTVPal yesterday for a good cleaning and to install a 1TB drive.

After unhooking the DTVPal dvr, I pulled the CM 7000 (my backup) out of the closet after nearly 3 years of storage to use while I did the DTVPal clean and upgrade. The 7000 worked OK when stored.

Hooked up the 7000PAL, it booted, loaded the (now PSIP) guide data, and then it started to reboot again! Figured it might be the ‘corrupt timer reboot loop’ described in this thread, so I unhooked the antenna, let it boot and interrupted it with the ‘Sys Info’ button. Did the ‘Menu – Setup – System Setup – Restore Factory Defaults’ to ensure factory settings and rebooted again. Same thing – reboot loop.

Did the factory reset again and after another boot, I interrupted again with the ‘Sys Info’. Pressed Guide, which opened and looked normal. Selected a channel and it tuned to it and seemed to work OK on every channel UNTIL I got to the lowest channel in my area, 002-1, at which point it went back into the reboot loop. Tried twice more to restore factory settings and each time worked normally EXCEPT for channel 002-1. Only that channel made it reboot-loop. ???

At a loss, I unplugged it while I did the DTVPal clean and drive install. Before putting the DTVPal dvr back in my system, I decided to give the 7000 one more try so I plugged it in, it booted, loaded the guide, and this time it tuned and displayed channel 002-1 with no reboot loop! Tried a few other channels and all seemed OK – except now it reboot-looped on only a single, but DIFFERENT channel!

Frustrated, I put my clean, upgraded DTVPal back in my system, and thankfully it worked like a charm with the new drive (1TB WD10EURS) Whew!

I left the CM7000 plugged in over night. This morning when I turned it on, ALL channels work with no reboot loop at all – now the two channels that individually forced the looping were just fine!

Anybody ever heard of something like this? I’m guessing that maybe some capacitor didn’t like 3 years of no power, and the overnight ‘burn-in’ made it happy. Any other guesses?

The Channel Master is using F400TALD-N, is this equivalent to F208 in the Dish DTVPal?
post #17007 of 18096
That's a new one. I'm at a loss to explain it. Regarding your capacitor theory, you might open the CM-7000 Pal up and look for bulging capacitors. If you see any, replace them all (or maybe you could get P Smith to replace them for you). If one almost blew, others may not be far from blowing as well.

As far as anyone's been able to tell, the F400 firmware in the CM-7000 Pal is identical to the F208 firmware in the DTVPal (except for cosmetic differences).
post #17008 of 18096
Yes, I would check these electrolytic capacitors, at least visually (I'm using ESR meter to see current capacitance & ESR values - it could degrade in time by many reasons: heat, bad chemicals,etc). Don't forget look under CPU's cover, there are two of these.
As to FW F400 vs F208, I did look into binary code and found difference in literals where 'dish' replaced to 'CM' and some bytes related to a palette. Also I did test and used F208 on CM7kDVR without issues (I don't remember if some of you get the CM with F208 or I made it back to F400 ).
post #17009 of 18096
P Smith - Interesting - Does Dish F208 installed in a CM-7000 change the on screen stuff to look as if it was a Dish?

Just wondering, as I much prefer the Dish blue scheme and fonts to the CM-7000's hard to read gray on white menus with the fugly, brownish/maroon backgrounds with blocky looking Guide fonts.

If F208 could replace the F400 scheme, I'd be interested in doing it to my 7000. If it would, how would one go about it?
post #17010 of 18096
that's PM matter smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!