or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 571

post #17101 of 18096
I continue to doubt any external fan will effectively cool a DTVPal, unless it's blowing directly into the vents. The DTVPal has a plastic case and plastic is a poor conductor of heat.

But the Pal has an internal fan that should be enough. Most likely it just needs a good cleaning. Take it outside, take the cover off (instructions can be found early in this thread), and blow away all the dust.

Use a small brush, like a toothbrush, to clean the internal fan. The rest can be cleaned with a small blower. May want to wear a dust mask too. It will probably be extremely dusty from years of airflow.

If you're really ambitious (and don't have any recordings you want to keep), you could even take the opportunity to replace the HDD. If you replace it with a 2.5" HDD (using a 3.5" mounting bracket) you'll reduce the heat the Pal produces (and its power usage) by a few watts.
post #17102 of 18096
Thanks for the tips. I'll try vacuuming it out. I've never cleaned out any electronics other than computers, but home theater components are getting to be little computers now too. Cheers
post #17103 of 18096
I see where Newegg has a "refurbished" WD10EURX hard drive for about $55. Anyone here have any experience, good or bad, using refurbished drives? I seem to recall someone using one in their Pal.
Edited by Paul210 - 6/25/13 at 7:44pm
post #17104 of 18096
I'm using occasionally refurb WD and Seagate drives for PC, storage and for tests in DVRs, not just the TR-50, but others like dish, DTV, cable models.
I got more problems from enclosures, actually from internal controllers SATA-to-USB/eSATA type. Many chips cannot pass my tests - simple copy a couple of 40+ GB files (video) frown.gif.
post #17105 of 18096
If you are looking for a replacement remote (or an extra spare) for your Dish DTVPal DVR or Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR don't pay any more than you have to. I just noticed that there is a seller on eBay selling Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR remotes for $49.99 eek.gif (eBay item number 140906585031). It says there are 4 available and the $49.99 price includes free shipping. Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

For only $7.25 with free shipping included you can buy the Dish 20.1 Learning Remote (eBay item number 280784044482) which will do everything that the Channel Master remote will do (and then some because it is a learning remote).Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTQ1YTAyYjIwNGZmYzcxM2I1Mjg4NDA1MDA1ZjVkYWEyNDRmfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1hbHdheXNidXlhbG90fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT02LzI2LzEzIDc6NTIgQU0=
post #17106 of 18096
I bought one a while back for $6.00. Its a great remote, and still a very good bargain at $7.25.
post #17107 of 18096
I bought two of the 20.1 remotes back when they were $6 each.

I've only tried one so far, but I'm not happy with the one I tried. Much weaker IR coverage, even with four fresh batteries. I have to point the 20.1 within +/- 30 degrees and it doesn't seem to bounce off other objects like the originals.

The original Dish /Channel Master remotes have two larger led emitters and are exposed, The 20.1's I have have two mini emitters recessed below flush and covered with a red lens. Just seems too wimpy in IR output by comparison.

Is this just isolated to the one I tried? Do the 20.1's have poor range for anyone else?
post #17108 of 18096
Mine works as good as the original.
post #17109 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Mine works as good as the original.
Mine too.
post #17110 of 18096
Actually, my two 20.1 remotes are noticeably stronger than my original remotes. I can bounce off walls and through my wife's legs when she sits on the couch whereas my original remotes had to be pointed directly and no through-leg option.

I was surprised by this post - evidently there is a lot more variability in the Dish remote performance. Your mileage may vary.

Donald1800
post #17111 of 18096
My 20.1 remote works great too. No difference in range I can tell. I would suspect the remote, although if you can see both IR LEDs behind the window "lens" emitting using a digital camera to observe, not sure where the problem would be.
post #17112 of 18096
How do you program the 20.1 remote to control a Samsung TV? I push TV button but nothing happens.
post #17113 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

How do you program the 20.1 remote to control a Samsung TV? I push TV button but nothing happens.
Follow instructions in the DTVPal manual?
post #17114 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeeCeeTee View Post

I bought two of the 20.1 remotes back when they were $6 each.

I've only tried one so far, but I'm not happy with the one I tried. Much weaker IR coverage, even with four fresh batteries. I have to point the 20.1 within +/- 30 degrees and it doesn't seem to bounce off other objects like the originals.

The original Dish /Channel Master remotes have two larger led emitters and are exposed, The 20.1's I have have two mini emitters recessed below flush and covered with a red lens. Just seems too wimpy in IR output by comparison.

Is this just isolated to the one I tried? Do the 20.1's have poor range for anyone else?

Sounds like you just got a bad one. Try the other and see if it's better.

My 20.1 works just as well as the DTVPal (5.1?) remote did. I wouldn't expect the red lens to attenuate IR enough to notice, but I suppose it could be removed if you're really determined.

Of course, for the ultimate in remote coverage, you could convert the 20.1 to a UHF remote with a Next Generation remote extender and put masking tape over the IR lens. Then it'll work no matter what direction you point it - even through walls tongue.gif
post #17115 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

How do you program the 20.1 remote to control a Samsung TV? I push TV button but nothing happens.

Download the manual for the 21.0 remote from Dish's web site. (Edit: found the link!) The 21.0 is almost identical to the 20.1; the main difference is that the 20.1 lacks the 21.0's UHF transmitter.

Follow the instructions on pages 3 and 4 of the manual. Here are the 24 codes for Samsung TVs (from page 19):
Quote:
505 506 516 523 526 566 573 601
627 653 654 655 658 680 707 717
730 738 755 761 794 833 858 897
One of those codes should work, or at least be close. Once you find the right code, the only buttons likely to be "off" are the channel and up/down buttons. These are combined on all Dish remotes, but IIRC they're separate on Samsung devices (I used to own a Samsung HD tuner but it's been a while since I had it).

If no code works, or you want to customize some buttons, the 20.1 is a learning remote, so you can teach it commands from your Samsung's remote. The instructions are on page 9 of the 21.0 manual.
Edited by JHBrandt - 6/27/13 at 8:38am
post #17116 of 18096
I've been having a problem. I have one Timer that doesn't fire. It's PBS - Charlie Rose. All other timers work ok. Charlie Rose starts at midnight. The PalDVR says "skipped". I tried to record it on my HTPC and I get a zero size file, so it's not the PalDVR. I called the PBS engineer and he was as puzzled as I. Last night I had my HTPC set to record at midnight, but I I changed my PalDVR to start at 12:01am. The PalDVR recorded while my HTPC did not.

I'm thinking that something is occurring at around midnight that's affecting my signal. Perhaps some equipment starting up somewhere, or something a neighbor is doing. What else could affect my signal???
post #17117 of 18096
On your HTPC, try starting the recording at 11:55 and see if it gets interrupted at midnight. You may be able to see a clue as to what's happening before it dies.

What frequency does your PBS station broadcast on? VHF stations, particularly RF channels 2-6, are more susceptible to interference. (However I've seen interference on UHF too. I have a pair of those cheap FRS walkie-talkies that operate in the 462 MHz band. A couple of times one of them went haywire and started broadcasting within RF channel 35, wiping out my local Fox affiliate. The first time it happened I thought I'd never figure out what the problem was!) Maybe something's firing off at midnight that interferes with PBS's signal for 30 seconds or so.

Or maybe something's happening at the station itself. Any way you could set up your Pal with an antenna at another location, just to test whether the problem is local to your neighborhood?
post #17118 of 18096
I set my htpc for 11:55pm. The PBS engineer said he'd try and record it tonight. He's in a different location so that should identify whether it's the station or something between me and the tower My PBS is virtual channel 25.
post #17119 of 18096
That sounds like a good plan. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The station's virtual channel may not be its actual RF channel. Sometimes it's the same, but sometimes it isn't: KERA in DFW is on virtual channel 13 but actually broadcasts on RF channel 14.

Everyone: If you don't know a station's RF channel, you can figure it out with your Pal:
  1. Tune to the station with your Pal
  2. Menu - 3 - 2 - 2 - 3 (Add new channels)
You'll see the RF channel displayed at the top left. (Just cancel out of the screen since you don't really need to add a channel.)
post #17120 of 18096
JHB's suggestion works only if you can still receive the channel.  Quite a few times I've turned the unit on to see that certain virtual channels were added during a passing whiff of tropo, and they have cryptic PSIP names that don't give the call letters.  Since I can't receive the channel any more I can't tune to it, and because all I have are uninformative PSIP names and the *virtual* channel number (or not even that if it conflicts with a virtual channel number already in my unit's table and therefore it was kicked into the 70s), I've no idea which station was coming in.
post #17121 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

That sounds like a good plan. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The station's virtual channel may not be its actual RF channel. Sometimes it's the same, but sometimes it isn't: KERA in DFW is on virtual channel 13 but actually broadcasts on RF channel 14.

I've seen the two channel numbers labeled all kinds of ways. The PBS web site referred to the Broadcast Channel (25) and the Virtual Channel (33.1,33.2,33.3). In my own database I use Channel (25) and Virtual Channel (33.1), but I can't remember where I got that from. I'm sure I've seen them called other things. You use Virtual Channel and RF Channel.

Last night both my Charlie Rose timers fired. I saw no interuptions in the 11:55 recording. Whatever's been happening at midnight did not happen last night.
post #17122 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I've seen the two channel numbers labeled all kinds of ways. The PBS web site referred to the Broadcast Channel (25) and the Virtual Channel (33.1,33.2,33.3). In my own database I use Channel (25) and Virtual Channel (33.1), but I can't remember where I got that from. I'm sure I've seen them called other things. You use Virtual Channel and RF Channel.
OK, sounds like the RF channel is 25 and the virtual channel is 33.

But in any case it's definitely UHF, which makes interference less likely to be the cause of whatever was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

Last night both my Charlie Rose timers fired. I saw no interruptions in the 11:55 recording. Whatever's been happening at midnight did not happen last night.
That's how these things often go. You have a problem, but as soon as you start to investigate, it goes away! Oh, well, at least you'll be ready if the problem comes back.
post #17123 of 18096
No problems with "Shark Tank" tonight.

Ah well.  Some of the programs in the recordings that I lost in the reformat have been re-aired, and the others I will just live without.
post #17124 of 18096
For anyone watching eBay and other places to pick up a used one of these, watch for shady sellers. This one is using borrowed pictures to sell theirs, and they indicate that TVGOS is still available by showing a screen shot with the TV Guide logo from 2009 and listing 7-day TV Guide scheduling in their description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221247438476

This may actually be a good deal however, it's priced under the average selling price ($195 BIN), and you can get the 2-year warranty for only $47.99 more so that if it dies, you can get most of your money back.

.
post #17125 of 18096
Its already sold.
post #17126 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I've been having a problem. I have one Timer that doesn't fire. It's PBS - Charlie Rose. All other timers work ok. Charlie Rose starts at midnight. The PalDVR says "skipped". I tried to record it on my HTPC and I get a zero size file, so it's not the PalDVR. I called the PBS engineer and he was as puzzled as I. Last night I had my HTPC set to record at midnight, but I I changed my PalDVR to start at 12:01am. The PalDVR recorded while my HTPC did not.

I'm thinking that something is occurring at around midnight that's affecting my signal. Perhaps some equipment starting up somewhere, or something a neighbor is doing. What else could affect my signal???
Just a guess (sort of related to some DST issues) you are going from 12AM to 1AM. The pal's math may just be confused. I have had recording that started at 1 DST and ended at 1 STD and strange things happened.
post #17127 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I've seen the two channel numbers labeled all kinds of ways. The PBS web site referred to the Broadcast Channel (25) and the Virtual Channel (33.1,33.2,33.3). In my own database I use Channel (25) and Virtual Channel (33.1), but I can't remember where I got that from. I'm sure I've seen them called other things. You use Virtual Channel and RF Channel.

Last night both my Charlie Rose timers fired. I saw no interuptions in the 11:55 recording. Whatever's been happening at midnight did not happen last night.
If you go to antennaweb.org they will give you both the RF channel and the display or virtual channel.
post #17128 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

...anyone watching eBay and other places to pick up a used one of these...

There's a Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR on eBay right now (item #151069076666) with a 500GB drive upgrade installed and it is selling for $499.00.
post #17129 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

There's a Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR on eBay right now (item #151069076666) with a 500GB drive upgrade installed and it is selling for $499.00.


Well, it's "listed" at $499. I doubt that it's going to be "selling" at that price.

If it were, I'd list 4 of my DTVPal DVRs with 1TB drives and buy one hell of a nice Computer PVR with the money. Oh, and a new flat screen to boot!

smile.gif
post #17130 of 18096
same guy who sold for $195 has other one - for $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!