or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 573

post #17161 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

The Dish 20.1 learning remotes are "on sale" for 15% off on eBay right now (eBay item #280784044482) for only $6.16 with free shipping included! Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTQ1YTAyYjIwNGZmYzcxM2I1Mjg4NDA1MDA1ZjVkYWEyNDRmfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1hbHdheXNidXlhbG90fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT02LzI2LzEzIDc6NTIgQU0=

Can these pick up the IR code from the remote of the device you need to use it with when there is no code listed for the device?
post #17162 of 18096
These remotes can learn a device's IR codes from another remote, whether there's a pre-programmed code for that device or not. (If there is a pre-programmed code, you only have to teach it the IR codes for buttons that don't work correctly.) However, there's no way to upload codes from, say, a PC. Learning from another remote is the only alternative to using a pre-programmed code.

Note: these remotes have four device buttons marked Sat, TV, DVD, and Aux. The Sat button can only control Dish devices (like the Pal) and cannot learn new IR codes. (All you can set is the remote address: 01 through 16.) But all three of the other device buttons can learn IR codes.
post #17163 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

These remotes can learn a device's IR codes from another remote, whether there's a pre-programmed code for that device or not. (If there is a pre-programmed code, you only have to teach it the IR codes for buttons that don't work correctly.) However, there's no way to upload codes from, say, a PC. Learning from another remote is the only alternative to using a pre-programmed code.

Note: these remotes have four device buttons marked Sat, TV, DVD, and Aux. The Sat button can only control Dish devices (like the Pal) and cannot learn new IR codes. (All you can set is the remote address: 01 through 16.) But all three of the other device buttons can learn IR codes.


I have one of these remotes and did not know it could learn other than pre- programmed codes. How do you feed the the button into this remote from something else? If I wanted to add just a few functions from another IR remote to Aux how do I do it?
post #17164 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoler View Post

I have one of these remotes and did not know it could learn other than pre- programmed codes. How do you feed the the button into this remote from something else? If I wanted to add just a few functions from another IR remote to Aux how do I do it?
See page 9 of the remote's user guide.
post #17165 of 18096
Download the manual for the 21.0 remote from Dish's web site. The 21.0 is almost identical to the 20.1; the main difference is that the 20.1 lacks the 21.0's UHF transmitter. Follow the instructions on page 9 of the 21.0 manual (which is actually page 21 of the PDF due to all the prologue pages).
post #17166 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoler View Post

I have one of these remotes and did not know it could learn other than pre- programmed codes. How do you feed the the button into this remote from something else? If I wanted to add just a few functions from another IR remote to Aux how do I do it?

The Dish 20.0 Remote Control User Guide can be downloaded from this link. At some point I guess Dish decided to put the 20.0 manual back on their website. rolleyes.gif
post #17167 of 18096
My 20.1 remotes will NOT allow editing a pre-programed code to include newer/additional needed functions. In this situation, you must copy every function from the original remote to the 20.1 remote. In other words, if you do not have a working device remote, those unique functions NOT included in a device programming code will not be available to you.

This is the only negative on these otherwise excellent low cost discontinued remotes.

Donald1800
post #17168 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

The Dish 20.0 Remote Control User Guide can be downloaded from this link. At some point I guess Dish decided to put the 20.0 manual back on their website. rolleyes.gif

Thanks. But look at page C-2 (page 4 of the PDF) and you'll see a reference to the "UHF/IR switch." The 20.1 remotes don't have this switch, but the 21.0 remotes do.

Not sure what's going on here. Did Dish remove the UHF function between 20.0 and 20.1, then add it back for 21.0 confused.gif
post #17169 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

My 20.1 remotes will NOT allow editing a pre-programmed code to include newer/additional needed functions. In this situation, you must copy every function from the original remote to the 20.1 remote.

Donald1800

I have a 20.1 and was able to edit a pre-programmed code for my LG TV. It's true that you do need a working remote to edit the pre-programmed code, though. The only learning function is from another remote. If you don't have that, you're stuck with whatever function set the pre-programmed code provides.

For me a bigger problem was that you must teach it every function from your other remote in a single learning session. You can't add/edit a few functions, test them, then start a new learning session to add or edit more functions. Each time you start a learning session, the remote erases all previously learned functions for that device.

That's especially annoying if you don't have a pre-programmed code to edit (as happened with my DVD recorder) and so must teach it every function from another remote. You'll probably need to write down every function to be learned on a sheet of paper before beginning the learning session so you won't miss anything. Otherwise, if you make a mistake or change your mind, you'll have to start from scratch.
Edited by JHBrandt - 7/10/13 at 8:47am
post #17170 of 18096
Will the 21.0 also control the DTVPal? And what is the benefit or function of the UHF transmitter?
post #17171 of 18096
In IR mode the 21.0 should control a Pal just like the 20.1 or the Pal's own remote. If all you have is a Pal, the 21.0's UHF transmitter is of no benefit.

The UHF transmitter is only an advantage if you have one of Dish's UHF-capable satellite receivers. (The 21.0 manual lists models ViP222, ViP622, and ViP722 as UHF-capable. I think the first is a dual satellite receiver, and the latter two are satellite DVRs.) If you have one of those, you can use the 21.0's UHF mode to control it from another room.

If you want to control a Pal from another room, you can get the same results with a remote extender. There are several types on the market:
  1. Wired: the remote signals are sent through, say, a coax cable, back to an IR emitter near the Pal
  2. Wireless with a target: you point your remote at a target, which rebroadcasts the remote signals on a UHF frequency. A receiver near the Pal picks up the UHF signals and converts them back to IR
  3. Next Generation (R): a wireless remote extender like the above, except the target is replaced with a UHF transmitter in the remote's battery compartment. This is most similar to how the 21.0 works as it lets you carry the remote from room to room
post #17172 of 18096
Thanks to all who answered my question about teaching the 20.1 remote to learn commands. I never received the manual for these remotes(21.1too) from Dish so I needed the link from the forum. It even copied a device I have had for over 20 years that would never have a pre-programmed code. That's the great thing about this forum there's always someone that can answer these questions.
post #17173 of 18096
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/13/channel-master-and-echostar-working-on-new-ota-dvr/

What do others make of this new DVR announcement?

Brian in Atlanta
post #17174 of 18096
Quote:
The set-top box -- called Channel Master K77 (not pictured) -- also provides over-the-top functionality and comes in two flavors: CM-7500GB16, which features 16GB of built-in flash (and relies on external USB storage for DVR support) and CM-7500GB320, which incorporates a 320GB hard drive.
post #17175 of 18096
I wonder whether the external storage will be computer readable or locked down like the DTVPal? In any case, it would solve heat issues inside the box and make replacing a HD easier. Maybe you should start a separate thread for this device?
post #17176 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

I wonder whether the external storage will be computer readable or locked down like the DTVPal? In any case, it would solve heat issues inside the box and make replacing a HD easier. Maybe you should start a separate thread for this device?
Probably locked them for copyright reasons. Did CM ever have non-encrypted recordings in the past?
post #17177 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Probably locked them for copyright reasons. Did CM ever have non-encrypted recordings in the past?
The OTA recordings never been encrypted, on dish DVRs or on the TR-50. It's just a matter of using rare file system [E*FS].
post #17178 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Probably locked them for copyright reasons. Did CM ever have non-encrypted recordings in the past?
The OTA recordings never been encrypted, on dish DVRs or on the TR-50. It's just a matter of using rare file system [E*FS].
To me, that is still encrypted. I am pretty sure Echostar doesn't want us to copy recordings from the HDDs. frown.gif
post #17179 of 18096
it would be more appropriate to use word "inaccessible" instead of "encrypted" as the meaning is different

there are many ways to record OTA programs, so the approach of TR-50 is simple matter of selection proprietary file system in anticipation of provide PayTV (see your smart card inside the DVR)
post #17180 of 18096
I have 2 DTVPals and a Dish VIP622 on the same tv feeding through a 4 to 1 component switch box. I set different remote addresses so that each receiver responds to it's own remote. Three times, over couple years, the (2) DTVPal's have defaulted back to same remote address as the VIP622. With all 3 receivers able to see the same remote it's a pain to get them each programmed back to the correct remote address.
JohnD
post #17181 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

...Maybe you should start a separate thread for this device?

The thread for the new Channel Master K77 OTA DVR is located here.
post #17182 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

The thread for the new Channel Master K77 OTA DVR is located here.

Thanks. Bookmarked.
post #17183 of 18096
Knowing echo/dish announcements of new devices, I would bet the new OTA DVR devices will be on market year later wink.gif
post #17184 of 18096
Anyone know the specs( size, brand, etc. ) of the internal fan?
post #17185 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPIZ View Post

Anyone know the specs( size, brand, etc. ) of the internal fan?
tr50_fan.JPG 70k .JPG file
post #17186 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post

I have 2 DTVPals and a Dish VIP622 on the same tv feeding through a 4 to 1 component switch box. I set different remote addresses so that each receiver responds to it's own remote. Three times, over couple years, the (2) DTVPal's have defaulted back to same remote address as the VIP622. With all 3 receivers able to see the same remote it's a pain to get them each programmed back to the correct remote address.
JohnD

One thing to look out for: I've noticed the Sys Info button (PIP button on some remotes) will turn on a Pal and bring up the Sys Info screen regardless of whether or not the remote address matches, so be careful with that button. It'd be easy to accidentally turn on your Pals and then reset their remote addresses the next time you hit the Record button.

If you have a 21.0 remote, you may want to consider UHF mode vs. IR mode for the ViP622 to avoid this issue. You can also try taping clear polarized filters over your remote and the IR receivers of your boxes, so you have to turn the remote one way (say, sideways) to control the ViP622 and another way to control the Pals.
post #17187 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

One thing to look out for: I've noticed the Sys Info button (PIP button on some remotes) will turn on a Pal and bring up the Sys Info screen regardless of whether or not the remote address matches, so be careful with that button. It'd be easy to accidentally turn on your Pals and then reset their remote addresses the next time you hit the Record button.

If you have a 21.0 remote, you may want to consider UHF mode vs. IR mode for the ViP622 to avoid this issue. You can also try taping clear polarized filters over your remote and the IR receivers of your boxes, so you have to turn the remote one way (say, sideways) to control the ViP622 and another way to control the Pals.

That's interesting. I'll do some experimenting with the different remotes to see if that may be the problem. I think the remote for the VIP622 sends both UHF and IR commands.
post #17188 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

I wonder whether the external storage will be computer readable or locked down like the DTVPal? In any case, it would solve heat issues inside the box and make replacing a HD easier. Maybe you should start a separate thread for this device?
Probably locked them for copyright reasons. Did CM ever have non-encrypted recordings in the past?
There's no legal reason forcing a DVR manufacturer to render recordings inaccessible, unless they're DRM flagged. That's never a problem for OTA; sometimes it's a problem for cable but not always (premium channels are generally DRM flagged, and a few cable companies flag everything except the local channels; it mostly depends on your cable company). The Pal's recordings are presumably inaccessible because Echostar chose to use the same file system as in their satellite DVRs, but they weren't forced into that decision: other OTA DVRs (PHD-VRX, TViX 6620, and of course HTPCs) allow recordings to be freely copied.

I hope and expect Echostar to make a better decision with this new DVR, especially since they're now recording to USB-attached drives. Folks will expect to be able to move the drive and its recordings to their PCs.
post #17189 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

tr50_fan.JPG 70k .JPG file
Thanks!
post #17190 of 18096
I have two recurring timers set for ThisTV, Monday-Friday at 5:00 am & 5:30 am that have worked perfectly until the error shown in the jpg image below occurred yesterday. I don't recall reading or hearing about this happening. Does anyone know what caused these recordings to be missed. The station was apparently on the air at the time and the DVR was powered up because the program titles ('Highway Patrol' for the one highlighted and 'Sea Hunt' for the next) are labeled correctly.

DSCF2703a.jpg 59k .jpg file
Edited by A J - 7/17/13 at 7:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!