Note: This post no longer represents the easiest way I have opened up my case.This link
has an accounting of my most recent attempt.
Here is how I opened my DTVPal DVR case, as it was not entirely obvious.
Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that you do this, I did it merely for curiosity's sake; if you try to do this the device may break, warranty voided, or any number of bad things could happen like fires or damage to yourself of other items or persons, etc for which I am not liable.
Here are the steps, reordered from what I did and several failed attempts not mentioned to make it easier to follow:
- Unplugged the power
- Removed the smart card from the front so I didn't accidentally break it
- Removed the visible screw on the case's bottom
- Pried off the rubber pad on the case's bottom which is closest to the green and yellow RCA jack and unscrewed the screw underneath
- Pried off the rubber pad on the case's bottom which is diagonal from the one just pried off and unscrewed the screw underneath
- Carefully used a flat screwdriver to release the two tabs on the back of the case slightly; this sometimes is easier if done after a couple of latches are unlatched in the last step
- Looked in the slots on the bottom of the case with a flashlight to see that an object could be stuck in them and bent slightly to unlatch
- Unbent a heavy duty 3" long cotter pin, the kind obtainable from a hardware store
- Inserted one end of the cotter pin straightly in the four slots in the bottom of the case excluding the ones with green circuit board visible, to the point where they stop on their own, and bent slightly to unlatch, was careful not to bend very far, and applied a slight force to try to manually separate the top of the case from the bottom
The case opened
Here are a few low res images, sorry no hi-res: