or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 296

post #8851 of 18096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

to "timers may be off both before and after Daylight Savings Time.....

I have seen strange timers effects starting to occur about two weeks prior to the DST time change. I run F208 and receive TVGOS. Times go haywire even on channels that with excellent reception. Additionally, not all timers on the same channel are affected.

Added.

Can you clarify whether all timers are "fixed" automatically after DST takes effect? If so, does this happen immediately after DST takes effect, or at a later time?
post #8852 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Added.

Can you clarify whether all timers are "fixed" automatically after DST takes effect? If so, does this happen immediately after DST takes effect, or at a later time?

I know they weren't last fall (with TVGOS) - as suggested it's just best to delete the timers are recreate them after the time change. This week I've also had one timer misfire an hour later then it was suppose to (Fox Wed night set for 8:00 Human Target, got American Idol at 9:00 instead). Both timers last night fired correctly (ABC and CBS).

Unrelated, but I had the back-to-back problem the week before (Thu). One timer set for 8:00 - 11:00 (ABC), one for 9:00 - 9:59 (Fox) and one 10:00 - 11:00 (CBS). As you can see I had to previously adjust the 9:00 timer so that it would record at 10:00, but last week that did not work (10:00 timer "failed to start"). A one minute clearance was not sufficient. This is a bug that really needs to be fixed. It's ok with me if it loses 20 seconds or so between timers (what the Dish satellite DVRs do with back-to-back events).
post #8853 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873 View Post

I know they weren't last fall (with TVGOS) - as suggested it's just best to delete the timers are recreate them after the time change. This week I've also had one timer misfire an hour later then it was suppose to (Fox Wed night set for 8:00 Human Target, got American Idol at 9:00 instead). Both timers last night fired correctly (ABC and CBS).

Unrelated, but I had the back-to-back problem the week before (Thu). One timer set for 8:00 - 11:00 (ABC), one for 9:00 - 9:59 (Fox) and one 10:00 - 11:00 (CBS). As you can see I had to previously adjust the 9:00 timer so that it would record at 10:00, but last week that did not work (10:00 timer "failed to start"). A one minute clearance was not sufficient. This is a bug that really needs to be fixed. It's ok with me if it loses 20 seconds or so between timers (what the Dish satellite DVRs do with back-to-back events).

The timers didn't correct themselves for me either after the fall time change. I'm also running F208 and get TVGOS.

My only repeating timer is a Mon-Fri 11:35 to 12:37 to record Letterman, and so far this week it has recorded correctly twice and recorded 12:35 to 1:37 twice, with a subscript STD by the time. It also added 5 hourly timers starting at 2:35am Sun morning to 6:35am, after the tiime does change.

Another flukey thing that happened last fall after the time change is my updates setting switched from disabled to enabled, updating (and rebooting) at 1am for a few days till I noticed it had changed. Did anyone else experience this?
post #8854 of 18096
I've had to fix 2-3 timers per day for the past couple weeks. I wonder how many units are getting returned to Sears this week?
post #8855 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Added.

Can you clarify whether all timers are "fixed" automatically after DST takes effect? If so, does this happen immediately after DST takes effect, or at a later time?

I'm pretty sure I had to redo all the timers. Thanks.
post #8856 of 18096
So do you think there would be a market for a DVR that can record OTA, and download a programming guide from TVGuide, and allow you to download movies from Netflix, and allow you to copy recorded programs off to an external USB Hard Drive, or play back programs from an external hard drive?
post #8857 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post

So do you think there would be a market for a DVR that can record OTA, and download a programming guide from TVGuide, and allow you to download movies from Netflix, and allow you to copy recorded programs off to an external USB Hard Drive, or play back programs from an external hard drive?

Define "Market"...probably not big enough to make any profits. There is probably a market for everything. Whether or not you can be profitable in that market is the million dollar question
post #8858 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

I'm pretty sure I had to redo all the timers. Thanks.

I've had to redo timers for my Dish satellite receiver and also my Sony DHG-HDD250 OTA DVR every time DST comes and goes. Delete em all and re-apply them
post #8859 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw390 View Post

I've had to redo timers for my Dish satellite receiver and also my Sony DHG-HDD250 OTA DVR every time DST comes and goes. Delete em all and re-apply them

That's very good advice based on what I discovered this morning on my F201 and F208 DVRs after the DST time change on the overnight. First, my F201 DVR had a program timer scheduled to record Monday-Friday from 7:00-7:30 PM. Starting this Monday, March 15, the timer had changed to 8:00-8:30 PM. Second, a really interesting thing happened with my F208 DVR. I had a program timer scheduled to record every Thursday from 9:00-10:01 PM. This coming Thursday, March 18, the timer was correct and was set for 9:00-10:01 PM. The following Thursday (March 25), however, the timer had changed to 9:00-11:01 PM. You wouldn't notice that error until the second week after the DST time change!

The bottom line is that no matter what version of the DVR software you are using (F201, F202, F206, F207 or F208), you cannot rely on this device to correctly carry your re-occurring scheduled timers over a time change. Even the latest version, F208, still can't get it right! The best advice would be to delete and re-program all re-occurring timers immediately after any time change (every March and November as it stands right now).
post #8860 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

What firmware do you have?
I still have F202, and we finally got TVGOS in our area, and my timers are working correctly.
Last year when we only PSIP, I had the time shift, of timers, problem.

Update: My timers were off one hour this morning. Nothing happened the week leading up to today.

I just went in to each and set it back an hour. All except two took. Those two said - already recording event - I just delete those two and recreate them.

I don't consider this a fatal flaw with the device. If I were in a place that did not observe daylight saving time it would not even happen. Still very happy with my DVR.
post #8861 of 18096
My timers were also screwed up today. Some "weekly" ones from Sat. were moved to another day, and a "M-F" one was extended an hour. The channels were all fine. Also, because of the "new" wrong timers, it recorded a bunch of odd stuff last night. The channels were all fine, just the times and days had changed. It's easy enough to fix if you catch it. I didn't notice any problems leading up to DST, just the day after.

Anyway, everyone here probably knows this, but check your timers!

Regarding how it seemingly randomly deletes stuff when you're low on space, I think it also might delete something you've started watching before something you've never watched. Or maybe not. But yes, protecting everything should solve that problem (or watching your stuff sooner instead of filling up the machine... or installing a bigger HDD).
post #8862 of 18096
Thread Starter 
Is it just me, or was the DTVPal DVR removed from the Sears web site?
post #8863 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Is it just me, or was the DTVPal DVR removed from the Sears web site?

Yeah, it was mentioned here before. It looks like Sears moved it over to the Kmart site, you can still find and order it through there.


http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...me=Accessories
post #8864 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Is it just me, or was the DTVPal DVR removed from the Sears web site?

Yeah, I noticed it a little over a week ago. At least the KMart warranty is cheaper -- $30 I think. I doubt we'll ever see this thing on a shelf in BestBuy (maybe the BuyMore?).
post #8865 of 18096
^lol
post #8866 of 18096
If you are still having timers issues, try a hard reset by holding the power button down until both the green and red lights on the unit light up. I had a daily timer that, according the guide, was going to function correctly today, but an hour later tomorrow. After the hard reset, tomorrow's timer was automatically corrected.
post #8867 of 18096
I started having problems recording one channel on sunday (after DST). The Universal Sports Network is showing a bike race, and I set up a timer on Sunday to record it sunday afternoon. After the race was over, I went and checked, and it had not been recorded. I thought maybe I had screwed it up, so I set it to record the rebroadcast at 8pm. About 8:30 I went down and checked, and it was not being recorded. I checked the daily schedule and it showed the events had been skipped, due to "resource allocation error", or something like that. It came back on at 10pm, so I was actually watching the race, and I hit record to record to the end of the event. On the screen it showed it was recording, but the red light didn't come on. I checked the program guide, it showed the big red R, but on the DVR list of recorded events, there was no entry. I hit record again, and it sayed the event was already being recorded. I switched over to another channel, and tried to record there, and there was no problem. I stopped recording the second channel and went back to the bike race and tried to record again. No luck. For some reason, the box refuses to record that channel. This had been working fine for the first 4 days of the bike race, so I can only assume it had something to do with the time change. Maybe that channel has the wrong time on it or something? I should try a manual timer recording to see what that does. Any advice on getting this to work would be appreciated!
Thanks,
James
post #8868 of 18096
The best advice is right above your post. Do a hard reset with the power button and if that doesn't work pull the plug for a while.
post #8869 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post

...

Regarding how it seemingly randomly deletes stuff when you're low on space, I think it also might delete something you've started watching before something you've never watched. Or maybe not. But yes, protecting everything should solve that problem (or watching your stuff sooner instead of filling up the machine... or installing a bigger HDD).

I think someone posted several hundred (maybe thousands...) that "viewed" (even partially viewed) recordings get deleted prior to "unviewed" recordings. Not sure if that was the oldest viewed getting deleted first or what.
post #8870 of 18096
I had two weekly event timers for Sunday night that disappeared. There were a (and have recently been) several odd timers showing up. (like 3am to 3:01am) way off any time I would record. Anyways, like suggested above, I deleted all the timers and redid them.
Hopefully that will work.
post #8871 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsensation View Post

If you are still having timers issues, try a hard reset by holding the power button down until both the green and red lights on the unit light up. I had a daily timer that, according the guide, was going to function correctly today, but an hour later tomorrow. After the hard reset, tomorrow's timer was automatically corrected.

In my case one of my DVR's started recording (nothing that I had requested) around the time change. 14 hours later it was still recording. I found no way to get it to stop recording other than the reboot. I guess I could have pulled the plug, but didn't think that would be good for the electronics.
post #8872 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The best advice is right above your post. Do a hard reset with the power button and if that doesn't work pull the plug for a while.

Tried the hard reset this evening. That seems to have done the trick.
Thanks!
post #8873 of 18096
The FCC released its broadband plan today including its plan to reallocate 120 Mhz (20 Channels) of television frequencies for wireless broadband, and to do so within the next 5 years. Good news for Verizon & AT&T, bad news for the rest of the human race. www.FCC.gov
post #8874 of 18096
It's far from being a done deal.
post #8875 of 18096
Question: The overview indicates the DVR can handle a 1TB drive, has anyone tried anything larger? The 2TB drives are getting cheaper.

Info: I found this which is meant to be able to mount the filesystem from other Dish DVRs that use DaveSystemDisk and retrieve the recordings. It's old but might still work with a little hacking to update it a bit. I don't currently have a Pal DVR to find out though. Also this, again untested by me. I may be repeating info from other comments in the thread here, sorry if I am but not going to read through over 200 pages first.
post #8876 of 18096
RE: FCC Plans...

Send letters and emails to your congress-person and senators.

Over the past 30 years they've already taken back channels 52 - 83, which is 186 mHz of spectrum.
post #8877 of 18096
Hey, could someone throw a blank drive (zeroed out) in their DVR, record something short like Stargazer then use dd to make a copy of the drive?

Using Virtualbox it might just be possible to do something interesting, like make a Fuse driver for that filesystem or something. (not that I'm qualified to do it myself)
post #8878 of 18096
Totally off topic! - But Pal related

Hey guys I need some help getting off cable.

Last week I bought my second Pal from Kmart. My first one is in my Winnebago View motor home. I put the new one in my house. They both work great.

Here is what I have at home. Bright house cable and internet. Netgear WNR3500 gigabyte wired/wireless router. My home office has two desktops computers and a laser printer connected to the router with CAT 5 network cables.

On the road, I used a Sprint USB air card with a netbook or notebook.

This week I traded up the Sprint air card to the new Sprint "Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Wi-Fi". It's doesn't have to be connected to a computer. This goes online at the push of a button and will connect up to 5 computers via Wi-Fi. In the RV it works great, and can connect both the netbook and notebook to the internet at the same time via Wi-Fi.

Now here is where I need help. I want to use the Overdrive in my home office for internet, and dump cable. I have to keep the wired network to pass files between computers and the printer.

I need to be able to also use the Overdrive Wi-Fi to go online with the desktops.

I bought two USB Wi-Fi cards for the desktops, which work fine, as long as I disconnect the Cat 5 network cable from the back, but then I can't use the printers.

Question? How can I get the Overdrive Wi-Fi onto my wired network?

Thanks in advance!
post #8879 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsc View Post

Question: The overview indicates the DVR can handle a 1TB drive, has anyone tried anything larger? The 2TB drives are getting cheaper.

Info: I found this which is meant to be able to mount the filesystem from other Dish DVRs that use DaveSystemDisk and retrieve the recordings. It's old but might still work with a little hacking to update it a bit. I don't currently have a Pal DVR to find out though. Also this, again untested by me. I may be repeating info from other comments in the thread here, sorry if I am but not going to read through over 200 pages first.

I can't remember seeing posts of anyone trying a drive larger than 1TB, unless I missed a post somewhere. It would be interesting, though 1TB is plenty for my current usage.

I have tried PvrExplorer-Pro before but couldn't get it to work with the drive I had. I was just mildly curious so I didn't try too hard to make it work in my setup. I haven't tried the Linux driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsc View Post

Hey, could someone throw a blank drive (zeroed out) in their DVR, record something short like Stargazer then use dd to make a copy of the drive?

Good question - I would imagine a full bit-for-bit copy of the hard drive to a similar size one using 'dd' would be playable in the DVR.
post #8880 of 18096
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtiburon View Post

Hey guys I need some help getting off cable. [...] My home office has two desktops computers and a laser printer connected to the router with CAT 5 network cables. [...] This week I traded up the Sprint air card to the new Sprint "Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Wi-Fi". It's doesn't have to be connected to a computer. This goes online at the push of a button and will connect up to 5 computers via Wi-Fi. [...]

Now here is where I need help. I want to use the Overdrive in my home office for internet, and dump cable. I have to keep the wired network to pass files between computers and the printer. [...] I bought two USB Wi-Fi cards for the desktops, which work fine, as long as I disconnect the Cat 5 network cable from the back, but then I can't use the printers.

Question? How can I get the Overdrive Wi-Fi onto my wired network?

Some thoughts: Possibly refer to bfdtv's excellent post #1 FAQ, pre-purchase question #50 about connecting the DTVPal DVR to a wireless connection, which might be one way to do it for the printer (or DVR). Another possibility might be if you wanted use one of the desktops as the wireless bridge to the printer instead by configuring XP as in this post, or in Windows 7 by using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) by going into the control panel's Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, double clicking Wireless Network Connection, Properties, Sharing tab, and check the box to Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.

To bring this back on topic, in the past I have gone the XP and the Windows 7 routes above with a laptop to connect my otherwise unconnected DTVPal DVR to the Internet to get updates. If Dish offers video on demand for the DTVPal DVR I will gladly run dedicated Cat 5e cable, but for now there's no big reason to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!