or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Worst Nightmare: PS3 blinking red light of death!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst Nightmare: PS3 blinking red light of death! - Page 2

post #31 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

If I send it in for repair, Sony's only guaranteeing a 90 day warranty after repair. Does it make sense to even send it in?


Yes send it in. I had my dec 06 60g BD crap out and I sent it in. 90 days is just standard policy I would think and I think Sony has a little more faith in it lasting longer even with the short 90 day warranty. One year later and mine has zero issues, although I have a noisy fan I didn't before.

Someone said it before in one of these forums and although the price IMO is a bit prohibitive for most to do, he said look at the PS3 or 360 like a pc and if it fails get another. Nice to have money huh?
post #32 of 430
I made the call to Sony. Was too bummed to persist on getting a "free" replacement/repair.

I am just bummed that I did not do a back-up last night.
post #33 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

I believe there are tutorials on YouTube for taking it apart King.

Taking it apart is the easy part. I don't have the other tools to go about doing what he did. I have a blow dryer and that's about it.
post #34 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Taking it apart is the easy part. I don't have the other tools to go about doing what he did. I have a blow dryer and that's about it.

You don't have a little screwdriver? All you need is that, and some artic silver you can get from Radio Shack, or some other electronics parts store. Then lap the heatsink. You can do it King. If you can unlock iphones..you can do this.

here is a link for lapping the heatsink.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

Edit: Also, isn't there a company on e-bay that does it? I think they give the same warranty as Sony also. At least you would have your harddrive..right?
post #35 of 430
Yeah, but then there's no guarantee that those boys on Ebay can fix it. If I send it to them and then don't fix it, they're still going to charge $50. And then I'd still have to send it to Sony and pay the $150 + tax. So it'll end up costing me more.
post #36 of 430
The Sony route is a wise choice. I got mine back in less than two weeks, and I sent in a 60GB and got a 60GB back. I wrote a note on the paperwork requesting a 60GB, but not sure if that really made a difference. My new one is nice and quiet now too!
post #37 of 430
Yeah, this seems to be the most "cost convenient" route. If I had more money, I'd buy a new one, send the old one in and then put the one that Sony sends back on Ebay to recover some expenses. There's no guarantee that the 60gb that they send back won't do the same thing again.

It just sucks so much about my saves. I should have done a back-up last night like I had planned to. Now, more than ever, I wish there was an app/hack that allowed for us to access some saved game data on the internal drives.
post #38 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Yeah, this seems to be the most "cost convenient" route. If I had more money, I'd buy a new one, send the old one in and then put the one that Sony sends back on Ebay to recover some expenses. There's no guarantee that the 60gb that they send back won't do the same thing again.

It just sucks so much about my saves. I should have done a back-up last night like I had planned to. Now, more than ever, I wish there was an app/hack that allowed for us to access some saved game data on the internal drives.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear about your game saves. I had a generic PS2 memory card that wiped when I was on the last disc for FF7. I was depressed for months.

I wish there was an option to automatically back up game data to an SD card or USB stick or even a networked PC.
post #39 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

yes it was the YLOD. There is a HUGE thread at the official playstation forums on this issue. Apparently all 60gb ps3s are dropping like flies.

I

My punishement for being an early adopter I guess. Its a thankless job.

LMAO....kills me when people post this kind of crap. Come on. ALL 60 gig PS3s? Do you send money in response to the e-mail from Srgt M Smith in Iraq who needs a few hundred dollars from you in order to get 300 billion in gold out of Saddam's secret safe ?

LOL.

...all Ps3s..... *chuckle*... hoohoo.
post #40 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by D96 View Post

LMAO....kills me when people post this kind of crap. Come on. ALL 60 gig PS3s? Do you send money in response to the e-mail from Srgt M Smith in Iraq who needs a few hundred dollars from you in order to get 300 billion in gold out of Saddam's secret safe ?

LOL.

...all Ps3s..... *chuckle*... hoohoo.



kills me when people post crap.
post #41 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post



kills me when people post crap.

So you agree that 99% of your posts kill?

ON another note I hope my launch 60 gig doesnt die. I'd hate having to send it in, buy one from wal-mart, get one back from Sony, return new one to walmart.
post #42 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

So you agree that 99% of your posts kill?

ON another note I hope my launch 60 gig doesnt die. I'd hate having to send it in, buy one from wal-mart, get one back from Sony, return new one to walmart.

I assure you if the 60 gig ones were 'dropping like flies' there would have been more info on it than some wingnut on a message board.
post #43 of 430
Hasn't it been going around the internet that the 60gb models were defective?

Initially I thought I was out of the "defective" bubble because I bought mine in Jan 07. But the bug caught me. I know of a few people that bought theirs during the launch window and it is still running smoothly for them.

I have not heard as much problems for any of the other models.
post #44 of 430
What are you backing up your saved games to? Just a USB thumb drive? Playing R2 about an hour ago and the whole think just locked up. Wouldnt respond to anything so I had to do a hard shut down. Now I'm getting nervous that I'll have to implement my "walmart" plan.
post #45 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

What are you backing up your saved games to? Just a USB thumb drive? Playing R2 about an hour ago and the whole think just locked up. Wouldnt respond to anything so I had to do a hard shut down. Now I'm getting nervous that I'll have to implement my "walmart" plan.

Thumb drive? NO!

I have a dedicated 250gb External HDD that holds my movies, tv shows and some music and my back-up data for the ps3.

I have another 500gb external HDD as back-up for the back-up.
post #46 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Thumb drive? NO!

I have a dedicated 250gb External HDD that holds my movies, tv shows and some music and my back-up data for the ps3.

I have another 500gb external HDD as back-up for the back-up.

A back up for the back up?? Do you wear suspenders with a belt too? . But a thumb drive would work just to throw the game saved data on right? Thats all I'm concerned about. Even though I do have a few CD's saved to the hard drive that I dont have anymore.
post #47 of 430
Yeah, a thumb drive would work for game saves.

Yes, I do have my suspenders hanging in my closet. And I also have a pocket protector... don't be hatin'!
post #48 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Yeah, a thumb drive would work for game saves.

Yes, I do have my suspenders hanging in my closet. And I also have a pocket protector... don't be hatin'!

Not hatin just dont want you to be caught lookin like this


post #49 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Not hatin just dont want you to be caught lookin like this



I have quite a few Shorty mugshots from Burnout that look just like this, actually.
post #50 of 430
My mom put more pics up.... ugh... I'm going to have to have a "sit-down" with her!
post #51 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

It just sucks so much about my saves. I should have done a back-up last night like I had planned to. Now, more than ever, I wish there was an app/hack that allowed for us to access some saved game data on the internal drives.

King, If the drive isn't bad, swap it out before you send it back to Sony. I upgraded to a 160GB drive and still have my original 60GB drive. Send me a PM if you want me to send it to you.
post #52 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm2003 View Post

King, If the drive isn't bad, swap it out before you send it back to Sony. I upgraded to a 160GB drive and still have my original 60GB drive. Send me a PM if you want me to send it to you.

You don't need to send a drive back with the unit. They just need the unit.

I have my 320gb packed away and ready for deployment whenever I get the next unit.
post #53 of 430
I remember reading that once you remove the HDD it erases the content on it.
Is it true?
post #54 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet View Post

I remember reading that once you remove the HDD it erases the content on it.
Is it true?

Well, yes and no.

Yes if you remove it and install it on another system.

No if you remove it and put it back in the same system.
post #55 of 430
I would always take the safe route over a risky one..send it to sony and be done with it, you'll sleep better knowing they are repairing it and not some "guys" off ebay who live in their mothers basement
post #56 of 430
King - I found out you can deactivate a Playstation account online at the playstation network online. I went to change my login email yesterday and saw that as an option.
post #57 of 430
dogdoctor

Thank you!
post #58 of 430
Hey King I dont know if you have seen this thread yet

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1108601

But for 316 that might be the way to go. Then when you have an extra 150 send the other 1 to Sony then you have one for the bedroom or a backup or to sell afterwards.
post #59 of 430
Thanks phipp... I already have a second one (the one I bought for my wife) and Sony's coffin will be arriving tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, though. Much appreciated.
post #60 of 430
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by D96 View Post

LMAO....kills me when people post this kind of crap. Come on. ALL 60 gig PS3s? Do you send money in response to the e-mail from Srgt M Smith in Iraq who needs a few hundred dollars from you in order to get 300 billion in gold out of Saddam's secret safe ?

LOL.

...all Ps3s..... *chuckle*... hoohoo.

Don't be ignorant. A simple google search will prove that MANY 60GB ps3s are experiencing this problem. Maybe the world ALL was stretching it however many are experiencing this problem and I believe it will continue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Worst Nightmare: PS3 blinking red light of death!