or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL GedLee Speakers Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL GedLee Speakers Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 View Post
What a fantastic thread. I'm in Windsor and I may just have to get a passport just to visit and check these out.

I'm curious about something though. Specifically related to the multiple subs/Different subs idea.

You have been pushing the use of Multiple subs and different tonal tuning subs.

What about infinite Baffle systems used with the Abbeys?

Is there a reason that no one has brought IB systems up?

Do they not work well with waveguide technology?

I was always under the impression that a properly done IB Sub system was pretty much as good as it gets.

Is that technology compatible with your system Dr.?

Thanks!

Test,
IB is indeed an option, but not one that I could personally have done because my listening room is in a basement. As long as there are multiple IB subs distributed arround the room I think that this would be fine. IB is simply not very convenient, but it can be very effective. In most cases of IB subs that I have seen have used only one location and theye were not very appealing. Its the use of multiple distributed subs that is critical not how they are mounted.
post #122 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

IB is indeed an option, but not one that I could personally have done because my listening room is in a basement. As long as there are multiple IB subs distributed arround the room I think that this would be fine. IB is simply not very convenient, but it can be very effective. In most cases of IB subs that I have seen have used only one location and theye were not very appealing. Its the use of multiple distributed subs that is critical not how they are mounted.

Hi Dr,

Maybe I'm missing something here but I always thought one of the strengths of an IB system was that you could have multiple speakers (15-18" woofers) in one location and use the Open space of the Baffle (attic or other large room) to give the impression that the low freq. was coming from everywhere.
Thereby, avoiding the need for multiple locations.

If you recommend multiple IB locations I would think hardly anyone would have the room to implement it.

It would be better to just buy 3 or 4 cheap 12" subs. Like the Klipsch 12" Synergy.

I have said this in another thread about your speakers and the technology behind them----; pretty soon (aesthetics aside) why would anybody want to spend 5-10 grand on High end speakers any longer? Not to mention the $20,000 that could easily be sunk into Equipment to make those speakers sound half as good as yours.

I truly hope you can get your speakers out to places where more people can audition them.

Its pretty exciting.

Thanks!

Test,
post #123 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 View Post

Hi Dr,

Maybe I'm missing something here but I always thought one of the strengths of an IB system was that you could have multiple speakers (15-18" woofers) in one location and use the Open space of the Baffle (attic or other large room) to give the impression that the low freq. was coming from everywhere.
Thereby, avoiding the need for multiple locations.

Test,

This would not be true. The use of IB would not change anything in the concepts behind the use of multiple subs in noncoincident locations, meaning, yes, I agree, it doesn't make much sense then to go with IB. Except that IB does offer lower resonances than a speaker in a box, and this tends to push up the efficiency at the very lowest frequencies, which is always a power hungry beast.

Yes, I agree that the time for hyped up mega-buck speakers is in the past. I have shown that this does not have to be the case and once that information gets around then people will question their purchasing choices.

The thing is that a lot of people buy speakers like they buy watches - the gold and flash does not make the watch work any better, but they didn't buy it for telling time. Its jewlery.
post #124 of 135
Dr. Geddes,

Would it be OK to use a Harper horizontally (on its side, as a center)?

Thanks,

Joe
post #125 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post

Dr. Geddes,

Would it be OK to use a Harper horizontally (on its side, as a center)?

Thanks,

Joe

Its not ideal of course, but it works. I use my Harpers on their side as surrounds and don't notice any ill effects.
post #126 of 135
Dr. Geddes,

I've just recently heard about your speakers and must say I find the technical background behind them fascinating.

I was wondering if you've ever considered making a dedicated center channel? Or do you just advocate that users find a way to fit one of your existing designs into their HT?


Max
post #127 of 135
I actually do make a speaker for the center channel, it has a crossover optimized for the on-axis response as oppposed to the Right and Left which are optimized at 22.5 degrees.

In my experince the three speakers across the front need to be the same. Otherwise the sound quality is different and the blend is not optimal. The theater guys have known this for a long time. The surrounds can be different.

Some custoemers use a Nathan as a center and Abbeys as mains. They say that this works well.
post #128 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

I actually do make a speaker for the center channel, it has a crossover optimized for the on-axis response as oppposed to the Right and Left which are optimized at 22.5 degrees.

In my experince the three speakers across the front need to be the same. Otherwise the sound quality is different and the blend is not optimal. The theater guys have known this for a long time. The surrounds can be different.

Some custoemers use a Nathan as a center and Abbeys as mains. They say that this works well.

You do make a center channel? It's not listed on the Gedlee website is it? The only speakers I saw there were the Summa, Abbey, Nathan, Harper and Subs.

What do you recommend for mains with your center channel? And BTW, I could not find the pricing on your speaker line. Could you possibly PM with prices on the Summa, Abbey, Nathan and center channel?


Thanks,
Max
post #129 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

You do make a center channel? It's not listed on the Gedlee website is it? The only speakers I saw there were the Summa, Abbey, Nathan, Harper and Subs.

What do you recommend for mains with your center channel? And BTW, I could not find the pricing on your speaker line. Could you possibly PM with prices on the Summa, Abbey, Nathan and center channel?


Thanks,
Max

I'm obviously not Dr Geddes but I can answer two of these for you. The prices are at the bottom of this page. Note that the prices are per speaker and not per pair.

I don't believe Dr Geddes makes a horizontal style center channel. Instead, he recommends(as do many others) that you use the same three speakers for your mains and center. In the situation that you must use a low profile speaker for a center, I think he suggests laying one of his speakers on its side. I think he can compensate for that when he builds the crossover.
post #130 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

You do make a center channel? It's not listed on the Gedlee website is it? The only speakers I saw there were the Summa, Abbey, Nathan, Harper and Subs.

What do you recommend for mains with your center channel? And BTW, I could not find the pricing on your speaker line. Could you possibly PM with prices on the Summa, Abbey, Nathan and center channel?


Thanks,
Max

No, I do not list this option, I should. Basically all three front speakers should be identical, but my speakers are not optimized for on-axis and the center channel needs to be. Hence, I do a slightly different crossover for center channel use. Its the same speaker, smae price, but with a slightly different crossover.

The mains should be whatever you can afford in terms of cost and size. I use three Summas, but thats not too practical. Three Abbeys, or two Abbeys and a Nathan seems to be a good choice.
post #131 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

The mains should be whatever you can afford in terms of cost and size. I use three Summas, but thats not too practical.

Do you get some sort of discount? Or do you "know somebody"
post #132 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Do you get some sort of discount? Or do you "know somebody"

Sorry, I don't follow.
post #133 of 135
I'm really intrigued by these speakers. I'm currently using JTR T8's across the front and slant 8's in the rear. I like them for HT but find them lacking for two channel music. Dynamics are great but the soundstage and resolution is lacking. I find that I really miss the way voices sounded with my old Mag 3.6's.

I've read reviews of the Abbeys and it sounds like the soundstage they throw up is great. How is the resolution? I think that is the term I'm looking for. Maybe it is microdynamics. I'm not sure. I know that the Mags were very detailed and had a reality to them that i have not been able to recreate with the other speakers I've tried (various revels and the JTR's).

Does anybody in the Toronto area have these that I could perhaps listen to?

I'm also curious about the use of multiple subs and how that would integrate into an existing home theater setup. I assume I could use the two subs I currently have and add one or two of Dr. Geddes' subs as well and these would all be fed from the sub outs on my onkyo 5507 prepro to the Behringer.

Is the use of Audyssey recommended with these speakers? How does it affect the sub optimization Dr. Geddes provides?
post #134 of 135
I would not reccomend an Audyssey unit. Its not really necessary because I would only ever EQ the low frequencies and a DCX2496 is pretty ideal for this. I do not know if you can limit the Audyssey to LFs only, but then it seems like overkill.
post #135 of 135
Hello all,

Would like to ask a question about a somewhat "Geddes" style speaker I am trying to build. Having trouble trying to decide on the size of the box to use and could use some suggestions.

Drivers: B&C 15TBX100 woofer / DE250-8 tweeter / QSC HiR152 D.I. 90/40 horn / Box - Ported

B&C suggests a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 35 hz with this woofer. Problem is when I graph this the low bass shows a pretty good positive bump at about 35 hz before response drops off. Also at about 45 hz, xmax is exceeded quite a bit.

Now as I would prefer good transient respone and accuracy over heavy bass, I have use my box program to look at a box size of 2.3 cubic foot tuned to 40 hz and the curce seems much smoother and does not exceed xmax as well.

Guess the question is, am I on the right track. I know a sealed box would be more accurate, but would like these speakers to work well stand alone at times as well as when I have my transmission line subwoofer available.

I have attached the images of the box programs graphs for these two boxes if that helps to see what I am trying to describe.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Regards,
Greg

4.0ft2 Fb_35hz Box.jpg 63k .jpg file 4.0ft2 Fb_35hz Box.jpg 170k .jpg file 2_26ft2 Fb_40hz Box.jpg 63k .jpg file 2_26ft2 Fb_40hz Box.jpg 176k .jpg file
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The OFFICIAL GedLee Speakers Thread