or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Comcast DTA Adaptor Boxes Not Working For Me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comcast DTA Adaptor Boxes Not Working For Me - Page 4

post #91 of 148
the whole purpose of going all digital it to provide more content.
for every analog channel (6mhz) they can give you 6 digital or 3-4 hd channels, or give higher bandwith for internet. take however many channels you are loosing and multiply that by 6 and thasts what you will be gaining. so really it's for the greater good to do this.
post #92 of 148
Well the point is many of us are actually loosing functionality we had before because we can no longer use our clear QAM tuners and dvd recorders to watch and record the basic channels. You have to pipe the new box in to get most channels, or pay even more to get a better HD box or DVR box that still wont let you save any hard copies of your favorite shows so to do what I used to be able to do for what I'm paying will actually cost me more so whether it's a gain in channels is all relative if you didn't want to do on demand or the movie channels anyway.
The extra channels wont do the basic customers any good and just make them more money by trying to force you to rent a better box to actually see them.
post #93 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABLEGUYINMO View Post

..so really it's for the greater good to do this.

Yeah - if they do it within reason - not overdoing it to the point of horse**** picture quality.
post #94 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABLEGUYINMO View Post

the whole purpose of going all digital it to provide more content.
for every analog channel (6mhz) they can give you 6 digital or 3-4 hd channels, or give higher bandwith for internet. take however many channels you are loosing and multiply that by 6 and thasts what you will be gaining. so really it's for the greater good to do this.

The numbers are usually a little different but similar.
2 - 3 HD channels (typically) but 10 - 15 SD channels.
Cable QAM has twice the data rate (38.4Mbps) as OTA (19.2Mbps).

Our Comcast usually puts 2 full bit rate HD and one full (720x480) SD channel on a channel slot, or 10 - 15 lower resolution (528/544x480) SD channels.
post #95 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABLEGUYINMO View Post

the whole purpose of going all digital it to provide more content.
for every analog channel (6mhz) they can give you 6 digital or 3-4 hd channels

Not "4" -- not yet. You cannot legitimately base any assertions along these lines on the presumption that they could get 4 HD channels on a single QAM. They're just barely beginning to look into that as a possibility... talking about it like it is an actuality is ridiculous.

And beyond that, they do not even 3-mux OTA channels, so even talking about 3 HD channels on a QAM is an over-exaggeration. It's an upper limit, and so on average, capacity will something lower than that.

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but I think we need to be more realistic with the specifics.
post #96 of 148
New to the forum. I have a three way splitter that takes the cable from the wall and splits to a Comcast DCR box, an older VCR and a DVD hard drive recorder with digital tuner. Prior to the change-over by Comast, I could record one channel on the VCR (any channel), one channel on the DVD recorder (any channel), one channel on the Comcast DVR and watch a 4th channel.

Now, with or without the DTV box hooked to the DVD recorder or VCR, I can only record up to channel 20 with either one....although I still pay Comcast for channels 1-99.

They tell me that the DTV box does not allow either my DVD recorder or VCR (both have built-in tuners) to receive channels.

My only option (without buying/renting additional equipment from Comcast) is to only use the VCR and DVD recorder for recording lower channels (1-20)........Although I'm still paying the price to get channels 1-99.

RIP OFF!!!!
post #97 of 148
Comcast is interested in HD-DTA's according to a filing posted by the FCC.
post #98 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouseyfire View Post

New to the forum. I have a three way splitter that takes the cable from the wall and splits to a Comcast DCR box, an older VCR and a DVD hard drive recorder with digital tuner. Prior to the change-over by Comast, I could record one channel on the VCR (any channel), one channel on the DVD recorder (any channel), one channel on the Comcast DVR and watch a 4th channel.

Now, with or without the DTV box hooked to the DVD recorder or VCR, I can only record up to channel 20 with either one....although I still pay Comcast for channels 1-99.

They tell me that the DTV box does not allow either my DVD recorder or VCR (both have built-in tuners) to receive channels.

My only option (without buying/renting additional equipment from Comcast) is to only use the VCR and DVD recorder for recording lower channels (1-20)........Although I'm still paying the price to get channels 1-99.

RIP OFF!!!!

With your digital tuner DVD Recorder have you run a recent digital/analog cable channel scan? In some areas Comcast is still providing a hundred or more clear QAM sub-channels. In other areas Comcast has scrambled all but the local "must carry," government and public access, shopping and a few other networks. Sooner or later Comcast will implement this "Network Enhancement" (scrambling) in your area. In my area this mischief occured in November, see first photo.

If the services mapped to locations higher than 20 have been scrambled you will need a Comcast converter box or DTA. If you are renting a digital to analog converter box Comcast usually provides two "free" DTAs (see second photo) for reception of the expanded basic tier of service. Notice that the Pace DC50X DTA provides only an RF output (see third photo).
LL
LL
LL
post #99 of 148
rouseyfire - Can't you output via composite or another direct baseband connection to your DVD recorder or VCR? The Comcast STB should allow you to do that. You would ONLY be able to record what the STB is outputting, but at least you can still record.

For most of us, it appears the days of being able to record other channels to one to two other devices, while watching one channel are over. It's all about money. In fact, one could make the argument that the move to DTV is more about money than technological improvement!
post #100 of 148
Brooklyn Park MN also going through the analog to digital conversion change. I picked up a digital transport adapter for one TV and upgraded to the HD box for my main TV. The HD box works pretty well but the On Demand feature produces an error. The DTA box can only display up to channel 23. I tried a second DTA box with the same results. I've been through my cabling to remove old splitters but that didn't help. I even ran a cable directly from my cable input to the DTA box with no difference.

I saw one post here recommending a Motorola signal amplifier; I got one and it didn't help at all. I simply hooked up the cable to my secondary TV and still have my old analog channels (at least until Aug). The whole process of getting information from Comcast about this problem has encouraged me to look at satellite service.

BTW the DTA box is Energy Star rated yet you can not turn it off - go figure.
post #101 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkfitting View Post

Brooklyn Park MN also going through the analog to digital conversion change. I picked up a digital transport adapter for one TV and upgraded to the HD box for my main TV. The HD box works pretty well but the On Demand feature produces an error. The DTA box can only display up to channel 23. I tried a second DTA box with the same results. I've been through my cabling to remove old splitters but that didn't help. I even ran a cable directly from my cable input to the DTA box with no difference.

I saw one post here recommending a Motorola signal amplifier; I got one and it didn't help at all. I simply hooked up the cable to my secondary TV and still have my old analog channels (at least until Aug). The whole process of getting information from Comcast about this problem has encouraged me to look at satellite service.

BTW the DTA box is Energy Star rated yet you can not turn it off - go figure.

you might have Comcast reactivate the DTA
post #102 of 148
Local channels are still available though either the VCR or DVD recorder but others are now scrambled (northern Colorado). Where I once was able to record TLC, History Channel and Food network all at the same time and watch a 4th channel through the Comcast DVR box, I now can only record local or those channels 20 and under via either the DVD recorder or VCR.

However, I found that for those that still have an older TV with built-in VCR, you can still record higher channels with the DTA box connected. I plan of looking for any of these units that may still be around. Since the VCR is part of the TV and the DTA box allows all channels to be viewed through an analog TV, recording on the VCR as part of the TV seems to work ok....then I can take the recorded tape and play it on the VCR connected to the main TV....if that makes sense??
post #103 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouseyfire View Post

Local channels are still available though either the VCR or DVD recorder but others are now scrambled (northern Colorado). Where I once was able to record TLC, History Channel and Food network all at the same time and watch a 4th channel through the Comcast DVR box, I now can only record local or those channels 20 and under via either the DVD recorder or VCR.

However, I found that for those that still have an older TV with built-in VCR, you can still record higher channels with the DTA box connected. I plan of looking for any of these units that may still be around. Since the VCR is part of the TV and the DTA box allows all channels to be viewed through an analog TV, recording on the VCR as part of the TV seems to work ok....then I can take the recorded tape and play it on the VCR connected to the main TV....if that makes sense??

Your Comcast DVR probably provides RF, S-Video and composite outputs that may be connected to the corresponding DVD Recorder and VCR inputs. RF inputs are recorded as channel 3 (or channel 4) and S-Video or composite inputs are recorded as line input(s).

There is usually only one set of white/red audio outputs on Comcast converter boxes/DVRs so I use a pair of Y adapters to split the audio for use with more than one recorder, see the photos.

The second photo shows Y adapters in use with my entry-level Motorola DCX3200 HD converter box that feeds three recorders through RF, S-Video and composite connections in the bedroom and, through amplified Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder RF pass throughs, four more recorders in my home office. That's right, seven recorders either connected directly to, or deriving their signals from a single Motorola DCX3200!
LL
LL
post #104 of 148
DigaDo: There are several outputs on the rear of the Comcast DVR box where I could connect a stand alone DVD recorder and a VCR but would that not only permit me to record on either or both machines what channel the Comcast VCR is tuned to?

What I want to do and what I used to be able to do is record (any and all channels) on my DVD recorder, another channel to my VCR, another channel on the Comcast DVR and watch a 4th, completely different channel.

I can still do this, somewhat, but only lower channels on the DVD recorder and VCR.

Am I missing something?
post #105 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouseyfire View Post

DigaDo: There are several outputs on the rear of the Comcast DVR box where I could connect a stand alone DVD recorder and a VCR but would that not only permit me to record on either or both machines what channel the Comcast VCR is tuned to?

What I want to do and what I used to be able to do is record (any and all channels) on my DVD recorder, another channel to my VCR, another channel on the Comcast DVR and watch a 4th, completely different channel.

I can still do this, somewhat, but only lower channels on the DVD recorder and VCR.

Am I missing something?

A DVD Recorder connected to a converter box is enslaved to whatever "channel" is tuned by the converter box. (In the example in my earlier post I have seven recorders, four DVD Recorders and three HDD/DVD Recorders, set up to record from Turner Classic Movies, and five other DVD Recorders or HDD/DVD Recorders set up for other purposes.)

Have you run a recent digital/analog cable channel scan with your HDD/DVD Recorder? You might be in an area where Comcast is still providing a hundred or more clear QAM sub-channels. Of course these sub-channel assignments seldom have any relation to the mapped "channel" locations found with converter boxes or DTAs.
post #106 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mac View Post

you might have Comcast reactivate the DTA

I've reactivated one of the boxes twice via Comcast chat service. The second box had the same problem as the first. I reactivated the second box when I reconnected it to test a signal amplifier.
post #107 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakGrove View Post

I activated a DTA box and now I get the channels I couldn't get before, but the local 'broadcast' (cbs, abc, nbc,pbs) - I no longer get. Is that because these channels are broadcast as digial HD and the DTA can't keep up? That's what it looks like because occasionally PBS comes in broken up but usually it's just the "interrupted service" error screen. I understand that I can't get HD output from the DTA - I don't care because the tv is not HD, I just thought the DTA should be able to forward all channels, encrypted or clear. Is that the case or do I just have a bad DTA?

Tried talking with someone at Comcast and they just kept trying to reactivate it - which obviously wasn't the problem since I was getting the other channels.

I'm in the Boston area - has anyone else experienced this?


Has anyone else experienced this? I am in the same boat with this issue, and I've been on the phone with comcast for almost 4 hours in total this week regarding it, new signals, new DTA boxes, everything short of sending out a tech. I don't have the time to waste with the tech coming out. I was going to try and troubleshoot it myself and try to amplify the signal in order to see if that would be a simple fix.

What does everyone else think? I'm in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Any help would be appreciated.
post #108 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakGrove View Post

I activated a DTA box and now I get the channels I couldn't get before, but the local 'broadcast' (cbs, abc, nbc,pbs) - I no longer get. Is that because these channels are broadcast as digial HD and the DTA can't keep up? That's what it looks like because occasionally PBS comes in broken up but usually it's just the "interrupted service" error screen. I understand that I can't get HD output from the DTA - I don't care because the tv is not HD, I just thought the DTA should be able to forward all channels, encrypted or clear. Is that the case or do I just have a bad DTA?

Tried talking with someone at Comcast and they just kept trying to reactivate it - which obviously wasn't the problem since I was getting the other channels.

I'm in the Boston area - has anyone else experienced this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by googs00 View Post

Has anyone else experienced this? I am in the same boat with this issue, and I've been on the phone with comcast for almost 4 hours in total this week regarding it, new signals, new DTA boxes, everything short of sending out a tech. I don't have the time to waste with the tech coming out. I was going to try and troubleshoot it myself and try to amplify the signal in order to see if that would be a simple fix.

What does everyone else think? I'm in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Any help would be appreciated.

You both *might* have some digital channels that are "falling off the cliff" due to too strong a signal (yes, even with cable). (Our std meters can't tell when this is happening, as explained in the link below.)

Here's a very simple "Hang-by-a-Thread" test you can do to see if the signal's too strong and feezing, dropping, etc. certain channels.

Substitute your "DTA box" for "this DVDR."

If this simple test doesn't indicate that the signal is too strong, you might then try an amp to see if the signal's too weak? In my cable feed, adding an amp is the only way I could get my FOX HD channel to scan in to CH+/- memory... all other channels came in fine w/o the amp.
post #109 of 148
My small Comcast Pace DTA stopped working two days ago on upper level channels such as CNBC and Comedy Central. (I subscribe to extended digital basic which provides these channels). At the same time, the QAM tuner in my Magnavox hard driver recorder that I bought at Walmart started showing these channels as scrambled (I could still receive them on the larger Standard Definition Magnavox box supplied by Comcast.) - An Email to Comcast got me connected with somebody who "updated" the software in the small Pace DTA so that it could receive these channels - but I am not happy about them being scrambled, as it makes my hard drive recorder harder to use. - I did not realize that Comcast could legally scramble these channels and make them viewable with the Pace DTA - Its getting to the point where if I have go to all this trouble to view and record shows without paying a monthly fee for a hard drive recorder, I feel like I might as well dump Comcast and get a dish. People in my area who have a dish get better reception than with Comcast.
post #110 of 148
Welcome to the wonderful new "upgrade" that Comcast will probably roll out nationwide sooner or later.
They got away with this crap by convincing the FCC that as long as they provided some sort of "free" receiver box that anyone with a normal TV could use to watch the basic channels that they should be allowed to then encrypt almost every channel on the system.
Many of us are in the same boat after spending plenty of our own money on gear that could receive regular and clear QAM cable, and freely record it.
There are some rumors that they may bring out a HD version of the DTA boxes of some sort but who knows. I think they just saw a opportunity to make more money by forcing many basic customers to now rent a better box or DVR, rather then just using their own gear and not making them extra money on HD and PPV stuff, plus extra money from HD box rentals.
I'm waiting to see how the cable card equipped PC tuner cards shake out, if that doesn't pan out I may jump ship too.
I have a LG 4200a HDTV and HD QAM tuner box and several Philips 3575 setop dvd recorder/hard drive equipped boxes that are now next to useless for anything but the local QAM and HD channels they weren't allowed to encrypt, plus I have a similar card in the PC here.
post #111 of 148
The FCC has finally going to allow for HD-DTA waivers. No timeline as for when it will happen, but Comcast has shown an interest in them. Most of them however, only output HD via HDMI and not component.
post #112 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin09 View Post

I did not realize that Comcast could legally scramble these channels and make them viewable with the Pace DTA

Conveniently, I just posted this link in another thread (where someone was going on and on and on claiming that Comcast couldn't legally do that):
Quote:


The waivers give Comcast and, potentially, other operators the green light to deploy those inexpensive, one-way "channel zappers" (they cost about $35 each) with security enabled, thereby sidestepping an integrated security ban that took effect in July 2007.


http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=180850
post #113 of 148
Their policy is not to charge fees to fix problems with their boxes/CableCards or outside wiring. Fees are charged for inside wiring problems (unless one has a maintenance plan), and correcting user errors.
post #114 of 148
HELP I am trying to set up my slingbox to the comcast new dta 100 cable box. When I go into slingbox to set up the dta 100 is not listed under comcast or motorola. How do i get the d=code to maake the ir work to change channels?
post #115 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyocmd View Post

HELP I am trying to set up my slingbox to the comcast new dta 100 cable box. When I go into slingbox to set up the dta 100 is not listed under comcast or motorola. How do i get the d=code to maake the ir work to change channels?

Our local Comcast franchise provided us with two Pace DC50X DTAs instead of the Motorola DTA100. The Pace DC50X DTA uses the same remote code as the recent Motorola DCX series of converter boxes, not the older Motorola DCT and DCH series converter boxes that we also use. Perhaps this information might be of some help.
post #116 of 148
Biggest load of crap ever. Not only will Comcast's change make quite a bit of hardware useless, but now we are forced to pony up for a REAL box or revert back to the technical prowess of the 70's & install the old A/B switch. I'm still simmering over the whole thing. One thing I will not do is use the DTA or A/B switch, which means I have to decide on getting a bunch of HD boxes or just drop Comcast altogether. They should have offered a DTA with HD out of the gate, not a gumball machine DTA.
post #117 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

Biggest load of crap ever. Not only will Comcast's change make quite a bit of hardware useless, but now we are forced to pony up for a REAL box or revert back to the technical prowess of the 70's & install the old A/B switch. I'm still simmering over the whole thing. One thing I will not do is use the DTA or A/B switch, which means I have to decide on getting a bunch of HD boxes or just drop Comcast altogether. They should have offered a DTA with HD out of the gate, not a gumball machine DTA.

A HD version of a DTA that has only an RF output would be of little use.

Comcast still offers entry-level digital to analog converter boxes. In the photo a Motorola DCT700 is seen atop the Dell computer. The DCT700 is connected to the Philips 3576 HDD/DVD recorder, the second from the bottom, in my home office stack. The 3576 is also connected to one of the antennas for OTA reception. The three other recorders seen in the photo are daisy-chained from a Motorola DCX3200 converter box in the next room. The Zenith CECB atop the stack is connected to an analog tuner Panasonic DMR-ES35V recorder under the table.
LL
post #118 of 148
Our local community just passed the renewal franchise agreement with Comcast. This after numerous complaints from Comcast subscribers to the committee, especially regarding the local "must carry" HD stations, albeit now SD, situation, as well as other complaints. Another example of government entities not listening to the people.
post #119 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colloquor View Post

Our local community just passed the renewal franchise agreement with Comcast. This after numerous complaints from Comcast subscribers to the committee, especially regarding the local "must carry" HD stations, albeit now SD, situation, as well as other complaints. Another example of government entities not listening to the people.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 essentially deregulated cablecos to a great extent. Subscribers can no longer complain to the FCC about cableco "excesses" only the local authority, and they can't do anything about prices on any higher tier of service above "Broadcast Basic" (the actual wording in the Act). That's why my local cableco split its previous Basic into "Broadcast Basic" and "Extended Basic" and, of course, all the cable channels are in the totally unregulated upper tier... and my sub price went from $34 to $61 in the last 6 months!
post #120 of 148
local comcast only provides dta 100 in our area. Any ides on how I can make my slingbox change channels? Slingbox says I need the code from comcast, comcast has no idea what slingbox is or why i need ir code to change channels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Comcast DTA Adaptor Boxes Not Working For Me