or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › What antenna connection do I have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What antenna connection do I have?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hello folks,

I am brand new to HD radio having purchased one because the only radio station I've listened to for the last 20+ years moved over to HD.

My radio is a Jensen 525 and the antenna that came with it is a length of wire with a square piece of plastic with a hole that plugs into the back of the radio.

The connection port on the back of the radio is a round, metal ring with a pin inside of it. The pin is about the size of the pin on a composite VCR cable and this connector is not threaded.

The antenna wasn't doing the job so I began the search for an indoor HD radio antenna today. I saw several on Amazon but none of them seem to have the connector that I need. I followed this up with a search for "antenna adapter" and other terms at Radio Shack but had no luck there either.

Does anyone know what type of connector this is or the adapter I need if I buy a better antenna?


Thank you for your help. Sorry for the long post.
post #2 of 15
It sounds similar to how you connect the cable to your TV and is typical for how it is with indoor antennas. If your antenna connection can't be screwed on, they you'll have to buy an adapter.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by config View Post

The connection port on the back of the radio is a round, metal ring with a pin inside of it. The pin is about the size of the pin on a composite VCR cable and this connector is not threaded.

That actually sounds like it might be a standard RCA connector. If you have one of those composite VCR cables laying around, just plug it in and see if it fits. Then at least you'll know it's an RCA connector.

You could likely find an adapter then, or maybe splice your own together if you feel like cutting up a cable or two...
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

It sounds similar to how you connect the cable to your TV and is typical for how it is with indoor antennas. If your antenna connection can't be screwed on, they you'll have to buy an adapter.

It is not the same connection as used for cable television. As for the adapter, before I buy one I have to know what I need first.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TydalForce View Post

That actually sounds like it might be a standard RCA connector. If you have one of those composite VCR cables laying around, just plug it in and see if it fits. Then at least you'll know it's an RCA connector.

You could likely find an adapter then, or maybe splice your own together if you feel like cutting up a cable or two...

I can't plug in a composite video cable because the connector on the back of the radio looks nearly identical to the end of the composite cable. I did try a female end of a composite y-adapter but it does not fit. It's too big.

I'd take a picture of the back of the radio but links apparently aren't allowed here unless you've been posting for a while.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by config View Post

I can't plug in a composite video cable because the connector on the back of the radio looks nearly identical to the end of the composite cable. I did try a female end of a composite y-adapter but it does not fit. It's too big.

I'd take a picture of the back of the radio but links apparently aren't allowed here unless you've been posting for a while.

Images attached. The receptacle almost looks like a BNC.
LL
LL
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by config View Post

I can't plug in a composite video cable because the connector on the back of the radio looks nearly identical to the end of the composite cable. I did try a female end of a composite y-adapter but it does not fit. It's too big..

OK From the posted photo, I get it. It's the opposite of what I was expecting. Weird.

Which part is too big? The Y-adapter was too big for the plug? Or the plug was too big for the Y-adapter?

Following DrDon's idea of a BNC connector, I went hunting for some side-by-side comparison photos (BNC vs RCA). See if these look like "maybe that's it!" to you...


http://www.digidog.co.nz/shop/images/bncrca15.jpg

http://www.cablesondemand.com/images...RG59RCABNC.jpg

http://cens.com/cens/supplier/produc...7758/3_big.jpg
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
None of the ones in the picture will work, unfortunately.

When someone suggested I plug in a composite video cable to the radio I couldn't because the back of the radio is male as is the composite cable.

I had a female composite Y-adapter in a drawer here and tried plugging that female into the male connector on the back of the radio. The width of the female connection on the Y-adapter was too wide to go into the connector on the back of the radio.

I am going to bring the radio, at Don's suggestion (thanks, Don) to Radio Shack and see if they have anything that will work. I will post back the results of my trip.

Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 15
Until I looked at the pictures, I was sure what you had was a Motorola connection. But it's not. Or if it is, the plug is female and the jack is male, which I've never heard of!

I'd suggest you just cut off the plug and wire it into whatever antenna you're going to use, but the plug on the antenna looks like plastic, so any decent FM antenna (or even a decent AM loop for that matter) would need to have two wires connected.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm back.

Radio Shack was less than helpful. They even carry the radio I have but said they didn't have anything that would fit that connector.

I ended up buying this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nexxt...oductDetail.do at CC for about $9., cut the coax connector off and spliced the wire from the antenna that came with the radio. I didn't even plug it into the wall and I got full bars on the stations I programmed so I'm very happy now.

Works like a charm. Thanks for the assistance.
post #11 of 15
Did some digging ..mostly because I've seen this before but couldn't remember where. For what it's worth, I think you have a Belling Lee connector, used extensively overseas.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for putting a name on the connector. I was pretty baffled there.
post #13 of 15
The circuit city link no longer works as they went out of business. Do you have any pictures of the product you got to work? I have the same radio and the same challenge. I am trying to hook the radio up to a coaxial HD/UHF/VHF/FM antenna (Channel Master 3010) that I purchased.
post #14 of 15
It looks like I may have run into something on another forum. Radio Shack carries a product called a European TV Adapter, part 278-261. I am going to run to Radio Shack tomorrow and give it a try!
post #15 of 15
I bought the same unit as was anoyed with the antenna connection as well. It is not too hard to take this unit apart and replace the connector. I did it to mine and like the results. You can't tell the unit has been altered (unless you have seen a normal one) and I can recieve a few more stations. If you are interested in trying this let me know I'll give you more details on what I did. It cost me less than 3 bucks and was kind of a fun project.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD Radio
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › HD Radio › What antenna connection do I have?