or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Need some advice

I have 4 Mythos Ones for fronts and surrounds and need a new reciever. What size would work and have a budget of twelve hundred. Any advice would help. Been following this thread for a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Personally I prefer Pioneer Elite. I suggest you check out there line. I find they mate extremely well with the Ones. I have impressed many people with the combo.

While I would agree that you don't "need" to spend $1,200, and certainly agree with the transient nature of state of the art when it comes to receivers, I would respectfully suggest that the "sweet spot" for receivers these days seems right around the price point you cited. At that range, you tend to start to pick up some useful features (more inputs, HDMI Through, Internet radio, automated set up/equalization programs, some useful sound processing, better video processing, better amps, various certifications (if that matters to you), etc).

For example, the Pioneer Elite SC-05 would be an excellent choice that fits right in your budget, or better yet, the SC-07 if you could swing the extra cash.

I'm partial to the Yamaha 3900 or what I ended up with (Z7), but they are more pricey.

You can still have a stellar home theater experience spending less and you may not have need for all the bells and whistles, but they are nice to have if you are investing in a great speakers and subs.

One thing--please try to audition the receivers (preferably through Mythos speakers if you can) before you buy--each has it's own sonic character and ergonomics that may sway your decision. In addition, if you find you can't tell between receivers at your price point compared with those that are cheaper, then by all means, save some cash for your next upgrade! :-)
post #1472 of 5540
No, the tabs are in the holes on two of them and the third was a dangler, so it was still attached. I'm not sure about getting the stuck tabs out, but maybe a dab of glue on a toothpick would be enough to remove them.
post #1473 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

No, the tabs are in the holes on two of them and the third was a dangler, so it was still attached. I'm not sure about getting the stuck tabs out, but maybe a dab of glue on a toothpick would be enough to remove them.

If it's broken off inside the hole, I'd try either using a small drill bit to get enough purchase to pull it out or if that doesn't work because the stud spins freely then I'd heat up a needle or sacrificial drill bit such that it can melt into the stud enough to be able to remove it.
post #1474 of 5540
My daughter painted the grill of my Mythos 5 with makeup. It ordered a replacement directly from Definitive, and it arrived within a week. This was just a week ago, so I recommend going direct to Definitive for parts.
post #1475 of 5540
screener,
I bought an open box Pio Elite SC-07 from BB/Magnolia with full warranty for 1200 + tax. All that was missing was the mic for MCACC, which I bought directly from Pioneer for an extra $50. I'm far happier with that than I was with the Onkyo 875.
post #1476 of 5540
screener, another vote for the Pioneer Elites.

I have both a VSX-01 and a SC-07, and both sound great with my STS's. I have lots of peripherals and needed the additional connections that the SC-07 offered, which was my main motivation for moving up, although upgrades in the processing and amp sections were a factor as well. Many people believe there is great synergy between the SC's and the Mythos.

Those are last year's models, although you might find a few around if you search. This year's comparable models are the VSX-21 and SC-27.
post #1477 of 5540
You can put me down with another vote for the Pioneer Elites SCs. I have the SC-05 with Mythos STs and they sound great. I'm just running 2.0, for now, and I really don't even see any reason to grab a center channel or a separate sub (not that I won't at some point, lol).
post #1478 of 5540
For the people that chose the over $1000 receivers, what made you decide to go that route vs getting separates such as an emotiva amp and an avr/prepro?
post #1479 of 5540
For me, it was one of those spur of the moment things. The price I got for the Elite was too good to pass up, just like the Mythos silvers that now adorn my living room.

I have had separates in the past, but my current situation in terms of space requirements has dictated the utilization of as few components as possible. I don't have separate systems/rooms for HT and music.
post #1480 of 5540
Like mrjktcvs, I got a deal I couldn't resist.

However, I am less enamored with the mystique of separates than many people. I've been enjoying this hobby for decades and have had a number of separates (still do in my "music room") as well as many receivers. One is not clearly better than the other for all circumstances. It's more a matter of personal preference.
post #1481 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

For the people that chose the over $1000 receivers, what made you decide to go that route vs getting separates such as an emotiva amp and an avr/prepro?

For me, it was a quality/space/cost issue.

I felt that current receivers have really upped the ante in terms of quality of amps/processors in that the performance differences between separates and higher end receivers are not discernable by my Philistine-like ears.

In terms of space, I knew I didn't have a ton of shelf space given my setup and the other components I hoped to install.

Finally, it just seemed more cost effective to purchase the more "bang for the buck" of a good receiver.

That said, I agree with MacFan24--horses for courses.
post #1482 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

No, the tabs are in the holes on two of them and the third was a dangler, so it was still attached. I'm not sure about getting the stuck tabs out, but maybe a dab of glue on a toothpick would be enough to remove them.

Ouch--that hurts. Perhaps you could gently get a small wood screw or something to get a small bite into the piece of post enough to pull it out? (Either that or return the whole speaker for another).
post #1483 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Ouch--that hurts. Perhaps you could gently get a small wood screw or something to get a small bite into the piece of post enough to pull it out? (Either that or return the whole speaker for another).

You could also take something moldable that hardens and insert it into the hole to keep the stuck tabs in place permanently. I realized I have part of one tab stuck in one of the holes and plan to do this if I can't extract it.
post #1484 of 5540
It shouldn't be hard to extract, the tabs fit in a rubber grommet, grab the grommet with tweezers and pull the whole thing out. With it out of the speaker the tab should push out of the gromment. Reinset the grommet and your good.
post #1485 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

It shouldn't be hard to extract, the tabs fit in a rubber grommet, grab the grommet with tweezers and pull the whole thing out. With it out of the speaker the tab should push out of the gromment. Reinset the grommet and your good.

Thanks! I will try that tonight.
post #1486 of 5540
Screener

+1 on the Pioneer Elites, if you have the budget go for a SC-25. I originally was looking at that but for the room size, and speakers I was previously running it was a little too much, so I picked up a VSX-23TXH and I love it. though once I move in a bigger place and get a new stand that would accomidate the height I'll be upgrading for sure to a 25 or a Marantz SR6004

Either way you go, look into Pioneer Elites, Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon. Anything you get from either of these manufactures with your budget you will be very pleased
post #1487 of 5540
I chose the Pioneer Elite SC-05 because I got a great deal when 6th Ave was running the name your price special. One thing that lead me to choose it over the Onkyo TX-SR805 (my other choice, I actually bought one, but sold it unopened) was that the Elite just seemed to work, it didn't run hot, it didn't need unofficial software updates, had plenty of power, and didn't mess with the HD video signals. I did a lot of research here on AVS, including reading hundreds, if not thousands of posts on both the Elite and the Onkyo, along with the Mythos thread, and I'm very happy with my choices.
post #1488 of 5540
I run a vsx92thx and I am happy with it. Those Onkyos run hot!!!! And besides the Pioneer just looks better lol. I was happier when I had an external amp though . I will eventually going back to an external amp.. But that being said the Pioneer does well enough for most out there. I just tend to do everything to the extreme.
post #1489 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Need some advice

I have 4 Mythos Ones for fronts and surrounds and need a new reciever. What size would work and have a budget of twelve hundred. Any advice would help. Been following this thread for a couple of weeks.

Screener

I am not sure what you have for subs...but I would suggest for a great HT experience you should have some emphasis there.

IMHO mythos I's are very easy to drive.... all I have and need is a Yam rxv863paired with dual supercube II's and I am always blown away when I watch a good bluray movie.

Not to say I am stopping there..as I am on an upgrade path from "H" and have bought other frts and am currently going the separate's route. This even after I had a well known calibrater come to my home and calibrate my system and say I would have to spend major $$ to improve what I have....so be careful of what you start.
post #1490 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

For the people that chose the over $1000 receivers, what made you decide to go that route vs getting separates such as an emotiva amp and an avr/prepro?

I have owned many receivers over the 1000.00 mark. Yamaha RXV995 which back in the day was top dog in the 1000.00 price class. When it came out , I had to have it. i loved it every day I owned it.Denon avr 3801 started it all way back when it was new. The Pioneer ELite vsx29tx of yester year. B&K avr 307 oldie but excellent receiver and one of the very best sounding anything I have ever owned.
I have owned separates in the Rotel rsp1068 preamp and the rmb1095. I had 4 ohm load speakers and wanted to try out Rotel for theater( I already owned 2 channel Rotel separates and B&K 2 channel separates).
I currently own the Pioneer Elite sc-07 due to it's unbelievable sound quality and performance for a receiver. I fell in love with it many times after seeing it perform in so many different rooms I could not see spending more money on another pre / pro. I wanted HDMI switching and decoding and to achieve that with Rotel then sucked, B&K's preamp sucked and Anthem was to much money. I actually used the Pioneer ELite Sc-07 as a pre when I first got it, then tried out the internal amps then sold my monster Rotel 5 channel amp. It's a fantastic receiver and mated with the Mythos St and 10 system I own it's outstanding.
I currently see no reason to spend more money.
post #1491 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I have owned many receivers over the 1000.00 mark. Yamaha RXV995 which back in the day was top dog in the 1000.00 price class. When it came out , I had to have it. i loved it every day I owned it.Denon avr 3801 started it all way back when it was new. The Pioneer ELite vsx29tx of yester year. B&K avr 307 oldie but excellent receiver and one of the very best sounding anything I have ever owned.
I have owned separates in the Rotel rsp1068 preamp and the rmb1095. I had 4 ohm load speakers and wanted to try out Rotel for theater( I already owned 2 channel Rotel separates and B&K 2 channel separates).
I currently own the Pioneer Elite sc-07 due to it's unbelievable sound quality and performance for a receiver. I fell in love with it many times after seeing it perform in so many different rooms I could not see spending more money on another pre / pro. I wanted HDMI switching and decoding and to achieve that with Rotel then sucked, B&K's preamp sucked and Anthem was to much money. I actually used the Pioneer ELite Sc-07 as a pre when I first got it, then tried out the internal amps then sold my monster Rotel 5 channel amp. It's a fantastic receiver and mated with the Mythos St and 10 system I own it's outstanding.
I currently see no reason to spend more money.

Funny that you mention Rotel avrs...my local hifi place recommended I spring for the 1560 (msrp ~2500) which doesn't even have auto calibration! IMO there are few things that make as much of a difference as auto eq and to not have that in a $2500 avr in 2009 is blasphemy! It's tough to know what's really true and what's snake oil when your options are to trust a salesman that makes it clear he works on commission vs the internet where there are millions of conflicting opinions!

After thinking about it for the past month, I think I like the Pioneer line of receivers best and have pretty much decided on the 919, but having to wait so long for newegg to get it, I keep rethinking my decision! The 919 does everything I need from a receiver and I'm not sure there would be any benefit to spending an extra 150-200 to get into the next tier of receivers (pio21/23, denon 2310).

The Sc series is definitely more than I think I'd want to spend; but I was wondering if people had compared the 919/1019 vs vsx21/23 vs sc25/27 lines and could tell me what subjective differences there are between them considering the 919 has all of the basic features I need?
post #1492 of 5540
Has anyone done any comparisons with the Ones running at 4 versus 8 ohm settings?

I fired mine up for a little while last night, but didn't have any subs hooked up and only did some DTS music to make sure everything worked. Any recommendations on something to see the full potential of the speakers? I really need to find some good "show off" music for demoing for people.
post #1493 of 5540
Hey Everyone. So I picked up a Mythos 2/3 setup and I am looking for some surrounds. What would be a good fit with this setup? I'm pretty open as far as budget. I am going to be buying a house next summer so it I would be better off to wait to do in wall or ceiling, I would be willing to do that. As always, the help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
post #1494 of 5540
After a week of demoing the STs, I ordered a pair from Magnolia today along with a Mythos 10 for the center. The sales guy cut me a good deal and threw in a ML Abyss sub for free. Not sure what I'm going to do with the sub since the STs easily handle my needs for bass. Everything should arrive in 2-3 weeks and I'll be a happy DefTec owner.
post #1495 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

Has anyone done any comparisons with the Ones running at 4 versus 8 ohm settings?

I fired mine up for a little while last night, but didn't have any subs hooked up and only did some DTS music to make sure everything worked. Any recommendations on something to see the full potential of the speakers? I really need to find some good "show off" music for demoing for people.

"show off" music is always a highly subjective thing. I'm fond of a few songs that span a number of genres and hit the overall abilities of the system. For example, I typically play:
- Walk of Life by Dire Straits
- Born Too Slow by The Crystal Method
- I'm Afraid of Americans (NIN mix) by David Bowie
- Piano Man by Billy Joel
- Jump Jive 'n Wail by The Brian Setzer Orchestra

If your music tastes don't happen to fall into the classic rock/swing/electronic realm, those won't really do much for you, however. Pick a few songs that you enjoy and show the diversity of your listening. Picking something that is entirely drum and bass can be really impressive, but if you (or the listener) doesn't happen to enjoy lots of bass, it won't have much impact.
post #1496 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

Funny that you mention Rotel avrs...my local hifi place recommended I spring for the 1560 (msrp ~2500) which doesn't even have auto calibration! IMO there are few things that make as much of a difference as auto eq and to not have that in a $2500 avr in 2009 is blasphemy! It's tough to know what's really true and what's snake oil when your options are to trust a salesman that makes it clear he works on commission vs the internet where there are millions of conflicting opinions!

After thinking about it for the past month, I think I like the Pioneer line of receivers best and have pretty much decided on the 919, but having to wait so long for newegg to get it, I keep rethinking my decision! The 919 does everything I need from a receiver and I'm not sure there would be any benefit to spending an extra 150-200 to get into the next tier of receivers (pio21/23, denon 2310).

The Sc series is definitely more than I think I'd want to spend; but I was wondering if people had compared the 919/1019 vs vsx21/23 vs sc25/27 lines and could tell me what subjective differences there are between them considering the 919 has all of the basic features I need?

A receiver purchase is based off a few things.
What speakers do you own?
What size is your room?
How much are you willing to spend?
Exaclty what features do you need/want?
Once you answer these questions, we can narrow it down to a logical choice. I don't have any experience with regular Pioneer receivers. We only sell Elite . I really like the vsx21 and 23. I think they are fantastic and sound great. With lower to mid line speakers, they shine.
The SC line is a better overall sounding more dynamic receiver line. It's a noticeable setup from the 21 / 23.
post #1497 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

It shouldn't be hard to extract, the tabs fit in a rubber grommet, grab the grommet with tweezers and pull the whole thing out. With it out of the speaker the tab should push out of the gromment. Reinset the grommet and your good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

Thanks! I will try that tonight.

Hi, rnrn:

Did Ascen5sion's suggestion work? If it did, please let me know, as I will post a link to the suggestion on the first post.

Thanks!
post #1498 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

Has anyone done any comparisons with the Ones running at 4 versus 8 ohm settings?

I fired mine up for a little while last night, but didn't have any subs hooked up and only did some DTS music to make sure everything worked. Any recommendations on something to see the full potential of the speakers? I really need to find some good "show off" music for demoing for people.

Personally, I have stuck with 8 ohm settings--more to bring out the ommph of my Z7 than anything else.

In terms of demo for music, may I suggest:

Unplugged, Eric Clapton (classic--shows off the Mythos' nimbleness very well)

Jaco Pastorius, Jaco Pastorius (amazing jazz guitarist and a great demo for big bass (esp 2nd track)

James Taylor: Live at the Beacon Theatre, James Taylor (True, it's "just" a DVD, but is considered by many to be one of the very best demo concert DVD's--check out "Shower the People" and listen for the crisp highs--they just sparkle)

Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here - Live at the Shrine, Art Tatum--Zenph Studios Re-Performance (This multichannel re-performance of Art Tatum is amazing--he must have had 4 hands. He is best, however, in limited quantities as there is so much going on, it can be fatiguing to listen to more than one albumn in a row. Get the SACD if you have a player)

Hope that helps!
post #1499 of 5540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8apf View Post

After a week of demoing the STs, I ordered a pair from Magnolia today along with a Mythos 10 for the center. The sales guy cut me a good deal and threw in a ML Abyss sub for free. Not sure what I'm going to do with the sub since the STs easily handle my needs for bass. Everything should arrive in 2-3 weeks and I'll be a happy DefTec owner.

Congrats on your purchase--sounds like you've done your homework, and you're gonna love 'em!

I'd suggest keeping the sub--the optimal position for sub signals may not necessarily coincide with where you will need to place the ST's as fronts, so the sub may help even things out a bit at more listening positions. . .or not. . .only a real world test will tell the tale. You might start by placing the sub at the mid axis along the side wall of the theater. Just be sure to set the sub levels and phases correctly.

Besides: "too much" and "bass" can never be used accurately in the same sentence!
post #1500 of 5540
I'm getting a Mythos 10 for a center channel and was wondering if the Mythos 3's are a good match for the Left and Right's. I know they have a different sensitivity level but my processor can adjust the volume for each channel so that should not be a problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread