or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 161

post #4801 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru20 View Post

Looking at getting DefTech XTR series on-walls due to a variety of unfortunate limitations I have. My biggest concern is their low frequency response, but it looks like something I will have to deal with, because they simply have the right dimensions to work in my room (other on-walls too thick/deep, and in-walls won't work. I could do towers but have to do in-wall or on-wall for my center channel.)
So, having said that... it doesn't look like there is much of a difference between the XTR-40 and XTR-50... certainly not enough to justify the 40% (about $140) difference I am seeing. It looks like the main difference is that the 50 goes down to 92 Hz vs 100 for the 40. Not exactly ideal, in either case.
The 60 seems to have a vast improvement in that regard, going down to 70 Hz.
My concerns/questions are as follows:
  1. The XTR-60 is at least a 3-way speaker?? (or is it more? I saw one site say 5-way, never heard of such a thing) Am I reading that correctly? This seems like it would result in better fidelity/dynamic range due to separating the frequencies across drivers, or am I wrong about that?
  2. I will definitely need to help these out with a good subwoofer. Can someone make recommendations of something that can reach the lows needed for good cinema experience, but also capable of high enough frequencies to cover for the deficiency of these XTRs at around 100 Hz? (I know there's DefTech, but for the price, seems like I'd be better going with Hsu, SVS, or Outlaw. Considering going with the SVS SB12-NSD, but I haven't seen many response curves or SPL info for many of the subs, and I'm wondering if front-ported would be beneficial for these mid/high low frequencies.)
    In particular, I am leaning toward more compact models, so right now it's a debate between SVS SB12-NSD and Hsu STF-2. Obviously I want low end and pressurization, but not at the expense of higher-frequency performance because I will need it to fill in the gap left by the XTR series...
Hello Guru, absolutely you need a good subwoofer to fill in where the incredibly slim Mythos on walls leave off. Some of the folks who've suggested other subs may not have heard our most recent efforts. We have re-vamped our SuperCubes in the last several months, and they are really good. We got a great review from Home Theater on the SC 4000, the bigger brother to the SC 2000, in a shootout with two much more expensive subs. They called it "...a spectacular bargain". We are especially proud of what they can do given their compact dimensions. The link is here:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/definitive-technology-supercube-4000-subwoofer
The SC 6000 and SC 8000 subs are better still.
Regarding the XTR-60, it's a three way speaker, with four active drivers, four bass radiators, and the tweeter. Yes, it is the best sounding of the three, and my guess is that you will love them. Let me know if I can be of any more help - joe@definitivetech.com. Best regards, Joe
post #4802 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechuan View Post

Hello Everybody,
Needing some advice on a new HT I'm building. Room is 17x15 and I will have an AT screen in the front. I want to use the speakers I already have--Mythos ones for L and R, Three center and Fives back. I have the Supercube I. They sound great, but do you have any recommendations to add more depth to the system? I was thinking of Mythos STS for the L and R with the Three in the center behind the screen. The Fives for the sides and the Mythos ones for the rear for a 7.1 setup. Is there a better center channel speaker that's not too expensive you can think of?
Thanks,
Joe
Hello Joe, I think getting the STS for the L and R is a fine idea. The Mythos Three is a very good center speaker too, especially if you want to stay with a Mythos style, slim-cabinet center. We have gotten great response from customers lately about the CS 8060 and 8080 centers, with their built-in subwoofers, but that is a different form factor. I am not sure if that is an issue for you. Thanks Joe - best regards, Joe
post #4803 of 5542
Hi all...Looking to upgrade my Sonance in wall system with a Mythos system. I would like floor standing speakers for the L/R but it has to be low profile (in terms of depth) like the mythos system. I do not want to go with a complete in-wall/on wall system due to the limitations of such a system. In my research I immediately came upon DefTech mythos (and some Mirage stuff). The size is perfect for what I want but they are a bit pricey (the top of the line) so I wanted to get input/reviews on the Mythos 5 floorstanders. The speakers I would consider on-wall would be the center channel (and surrounds) which I'm leaning towards the Mythos 3 or 7. The side surrounds could be on-wall as well, if necessary, so I was eyeing up the Mythos Gem (if there are better options for the surrounds please let me know).

The system would be:
L/R: Mythos Five towers (how do these preform for 2 channel music? jazz, classical and a bit of rock and even some hip-hop)
Center: Mythos 3 or 7 (leaning towards the 7 due to $$)
Surround: Mythos Gem (as I said above if there are better options please let me know...some kind of bipole option perhaps)
Subwoofer: No idea (input appreciated)
AVR: Denon 3312
Purpose: Regular TV watching/movies (BD, netflix, appleTV, etc...)/music (iTunes library, online radio like Pandora or Spotify)

I'm no audiophile so nothing that would blow me away is necessary. The main issue is depth the depth has to be kept to at max 10 inches.

Or how about this configuration for exactly $2K:
Left/Right: Mythos Four Floorstanding Tower Speaker
Center: Mythos Three
Surround: Gem Compact
Subwoofer: SuperCube 2000 7.5" High-Pressure Subwoofer with 650W Amp
Edited by mlk2106 - 7/23/12 at 10:55am
post #4804 of 5542
I went from a mythos 10 to the 8080 but my wife was so upset with the "form factor" aka low WAF that I just bought a Mythos 9 to "downgrade" to to make her happy. The 8080 is a better speaker mainly due to the powered woofer section. The M3 is good, but the 9 and 10 in the Mythos line have the newer upgraded mids and tweeter which match the STS and ST. I had my front 3 speakers crossed at 40 hz (Def Tech says full range for all three, but they drop off in my room at least pretty fast below 40) but will likely have to raise the crossover to 90 or 100 for the M9. At least I won the battle to keep the large (SVS) subwoofer...

I think the 8080 looks just fine btw.
post #4805 of 5542
I've just got my father to pick up the bp-8060 towers, center and the 8080 surrounds....

Pretty psyched to set them up and compare to my Mythos line.

I'm actually switching centers with him (I currently have the 8080) as I am moving into a new place and need the center to fit in a TV stand. Hopefully there isn't too much of a drop off in performance...
post #4806 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I've just got my father to pick up the bp-8060 towers, center and the 8080 surrounds....
Pretty psyched to set them up and compare to my Mythos line.
I'm attt
ctually stwitching centers with him (I currently have the 8080) as I am moving into a new place and need the center to fit in a TV stand. Hopefully there isn't too much of a drop off in performance...

Depending on placement, and if you can crossover to a good sub, the drop off may be slight or even unnoticeable. That said, I'm dreading taking the 8080 out for the M9, even though I know much of it is psychological. It's just that I had my system dialed in just the way I wanted it, and was very happy. Told my wife not to let the housecleaners touch any of the speakers to dust or vacuum around them. No further upgrades or changes of any type were planned for the forseeable future (of course, those 4000k projectors will come down in price soon, right? but I mean, there's no content out yet in that resolution, so no need to think about it....not yet...) Anyway, I plan to keep the 8080 as my compromise with wife was I'd swap it in when watching something big, like the Avengers or Battleship, but use the 9 for routine duty... I'm just afraid I'll break down, re run audyssey for the M9, and not want to bother putting the 8080 back in as I'd need to re run audyssey, then run it again after putting the 9 back in.. So I might just say "frack it" and use the 9 the whole time as it's "good enough", and probably will be... But man, that train derailment scene in Super 8 was just devastating with the 8080 (and probably will be real close with the M9)...
post #4807 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post

Depending on placement, and if you can crossover to a good sub, the drop off may be slight or even unnoticeable. That said, I'm dreading taking the 8080 out for the M9, even though I know much of it is psychological. It's just that I had my system dialed in just the way I wanted it, and was very happy. Told my wife not to let the housecleaners touch any of the speakers to dust or vacuum around them. No further upgrades or changes of any type were planned for the forseeable future (of course, those 4000k projectors will come down in price soon, right? but I mean, there's no content out yet in that resolution, so no need to think about it....not yet...) Anyway, I plan to keep the 8080 as my compromise with wife was I'd swap it in when watching something big, like the Avengers or Battleship, but use the 9 for routine duty... I'm just afraid I'll break down, re run audyssey for the M9, and not want to bother putting the 8080 back in as I'd need to re run audyssey, then run it again after putting the 9 back in.. So I might just say "frack it" and use the 9 the whole time as it's "good enough", and probably will be... But man, that train derailment scene in Super 8 was just devastating with the 8080 (and probably will be real close with the M9)...
Hello KM, is there anyplace in your room that you can fit an SC 4000 and dial it in with your M9? That would give you an even better bottom end, and if you can conceal it, might create a best of both worlds scenario. Thanks for owning Definitive - best, Joe
BTW - we have gotten some amazing reviews on the SM 45 and 55, but several of you have asked about reviews on the SM 65. Audioholics has posted a video review of the SM 65 that is a really good example of someone digging into the product - and being thrilled with what they found. http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DBOuirxeSRWY&ct=ga&cad=CAcQAhgAIAEoBDACOAFAuvzVgAVIAVgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=xna-qMhhuaE&usg=AFQjCNHw8o43vxt8XiD0iNw0ivurkSZW2Q
post #4808 of 5542
Joe, I have a very capable subwoofer (SVS 20-39pc plus) and was crossing the 8080 at 40hz. I'm now considering placing the 9 back against the wall directly under the plasma to get better extension so maybe I can cross at 70 or 80. My only concern is that the soundwaves from the speaker will be bouncing off the large piece of furniture that stretches 3 feet of so in front of it (where the 8080 easily rested). I remember Audyssey xt32 set the crossover of the M10 at 90 when I had it pulled away from the rear wall so the drivers didn't have any interference from the furniture it sat on. Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing...The furniture places the tweeter at ear level, as is the tweeter from the STS's, which are slightly towed in and aimed just behind the main listening position (that would be where I like to sit!). As I mentioned somewhere earlier, for "big" movies, I use a 106 inch screen that glides down in front of the plasma with a Panasonic pt-7000 projector. I want the sound to be as good as the movie theater. I have to admit, right now...it is. Alot of the credit goes to Definitive Technology, and I truely thank your company for making such good looking, great sounding speakers that are relatively affordable. kf
post #4809 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I've just got my father to pick up the bp-8060 towers, center and the 8080 surrounds....
Pretty psyched to set them up and compare to my Mythos line.
I'm actually switching centers with him (I currently have the 8080) as I am moving into a new place and need the center to fit in a TV stand. Hopefully there isn't too much of a drop off in performance...


let me know how you like the 8060's as I own them and they blow me away...wink.gif
post #4810 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post

Joe, I have a very capable subwoofer (SVS 20-39pc plus) and was crossing the 8080 at 40hz. I'm now considering placing the 9 back against the wall directly under the plasma to get better extension so maybe I can cross at 70 or 80. My only concern is that the soundwaves from the speaker will be bouncing off the large piece of furniture that stretches 3 feet of so in front of it (where the 8080 easily rested). I remember Audyssey xt32 set the crossover of the M10 at 90 when I had it pulled away from the rear wall so the drivers didn't have any interference from the furniture it sat on. Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing...The furniture places the tweeter at ear level, as is the tweeter from the STS's, which are slightly towed in and aimed just behind the main listening position (that would be where I like to sit!). As I mentioned somewhere earlier, for "big" movies, I use a 106 inch screen that glides down in front of the plasma with a Panasonic pt-7000 projector. I want the sound to be as good as the movie theater. I have to admit, right now...it is. Alot of the credit goes to Definitive Technology, and I truely thank your company for making such good looking, great sounding speakers that are relatively affordable. kf
Hey KM, you are welcome, and thank you for owning DT! You got it right when mentioning "good looking, great sounding, relatively affordable". That's where Definitive aims. I like reading about a $20,000 DAC just as much as the next audio nut, but for most of us, the stratospheric products won't ever wind up in our homes. So we go for budget-high end, and try designing to a level of cosmetic appeal so that it actually has a chance of getting through the front door. Now, about the Mythos 9 against the wall and playing with the crossover - go for it. Rooms and furniture differ enough in how they affect the sound that it isn't easy to say whether that will work, but I think you are on the right track. Regarding the performance from the center, if you can, borrow a buddy's sub and try it with the center channel. You may be amazed at how good it can sound. Then refuse to give his sub back... or go buy an SC 4000, whichever works better for your conscience. Hah! Best, Joe
post #4811 of 5542
I've been looking for a way to tilt my Mythos 10's down at the same angle as my TV. I figured this would help maintain better high frequency characteristics. Only problem is that I've only found one or two options for a way to do this and I'm not sure if they will work. Joe, by any chance can you comment if the speaker mount shown in this instruction manual would be compatible with the back mounting pattern of the mythos 10s?

http://downloads.chiefmfg.com/MANUALS-I/PACLR2-I.pdf

No way I'm drilling into aluminum enclosures so I just want to know if this is a viable option or if I should just resign myself to the fact that flat on wall mounting will be "good enough"
Edited by Sdiver2489 - 7/31/12 at 9:18am
post #4812 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

let me know how you like the 8060's as I own them and they blow me away...wink.gif

I gotta say I am quite impressed with the 8060 towers... Unfortunately one of the two seems to have a bad tweeter. So I look forward to getting that resolved.
post #4813 of 5542
So I swapped out the 8080 for the M9 last night, and so far I'm not too unhappy. I adjusted the speaker trim slightly and moved the crossover up to 90. Played the train derailment scene from Super 8, and it was still ground shaking. Played Roy Orbison Black and White Night (Blu Ray), and vocals sounded great. This is only possible with a high performance sub, no doubt, but I'm glad it sounds as good as it does, and will probably re-run audyssey soon...kf
post #4814 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I gotta say I am quite impressed with the 8060 towers... Unfortunately one of the two seems to have a bad tweeter. So I look forward to getting that resolved.

that's some bad luck....you should get it resolved quickly though...glad to hear you were impressed...smile.gif
post #4815 of 5542
Have a chance to pick up a used Mythos Three center for $150, does this seem like a good deal ? Seems like new they go for $250-$350. Also, assuming I don't get lucky and get two more at this price, what are the cheaper options for fronts ? Could I use the fronts from the promonitor series ?

Chris
post #4816 of 5542
I believe that the Mythos Three and PM800s have the same size drivers (4.5 inch) and thought they would be a good match but am not sure. And final question, for even money would you take the Mythos Three over the Procenter 1000 along with two PM 800s?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
post #4817 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I gotta say I am quite impressed with the 8060 towers... Unfortunately one of the two seems to have a bad tweeter. So I look forward to getting that resolved.
Hello Fanta, I am sorry to hear you have a damaged unit. We don't often get tweeter issues like that, but Chet, Adam and our new tech, TJ, stand at the ready to help if need be; info@definitivetech.com. Thanks for owning Definitive - Best, Joe
post #4818 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

I've been looking for a way to tilt my Mythos 10's down at the same angle as my TV. I figured this would help maintain better high frequency characteristics. Only problem is that I've only found one or two options for a way to do this and I'm not sure if they will work. Joe, by any chance can you comment if the speaker mount shown in this instruction manual would be compatible with the back mounting pattern of the mythos 10s?
http://downloads.chiefmfg.com/MANUALS-I/PACLR2-I.pdf
No way I'm drilling into aluminum enclosures so I just want to know if this is a viable option or if I should just resign myself to the fact that flat on wall mounting will be "good enough"
Hi S, good for you that you are not drilling into the aluminum enclosures! I looked at the link you sent. One thing to think about is that the Mythos 10 may actually sound a bit better flush against the wall rather than aimed. The bass gets reinforced by the wall, and so if you go through the time and trouble for this, it may not sound noticeably better. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4819 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Fanta, I am sorry to hear you have a damaged unit. We don't often get tweeter issues like that, but Chet, Adam and our new tech, TJ, stand at the ready to help if need be; info@definitivetech.com. Thanks for owning Definitive - Best, Joe

Thanks Joe,

I purchased these through bajawaverunner who has been very helpful so far. He is sending a replacement tweeter and if that doesn't work I will swap out the tower.
post #4820 of 5542
Great thread - so much info! Trying to sort out which speakers to grab for a new set of surrounds for my 5.1 system. Currently using a set of AR 308HO (bookshelf?) speakers on stands for surrounds. Mids and highs are great, mid-bass and lower are mediocre (muddy-ish) - but the main idea is to get my surrounds up onto the walls to recover floor space and to meet the spousal acceptance factor AND to sound as outstanding as the rest of my system without spending and arm and a leg. I have always liked Definitive and believe they would complement the rest of my system nicely.

Looking at the ProCenter 2000 and the Mythos 8 for my new surrounds. I think I would be happy with either, but want to get some opinions on things to consider when choosing. Also, it there such a thing as white speaker cloth socks that could be pulled over the speakers to further add to the spousal acceptance factor? How easily they wall-mount is something to consider as well. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Here is the info on the rest of my speaker setup/ a/v system for those who feel that info might be pertinent.
Mains: Boston Acoustics T1030s (bi-wired) - bought new in early/mid 90s
Center: Boston Acoustics VR10 - recent used replacement for my Boston 525V center bought new in early/mid 90s (wanted acoustic match for the 1030s - love the 1030s and do not want to replace if/until they bite the dust)
Definitive Technology SuperCube II subwoofer dedicated to LFE for movies (this ROCKS by the way - wowza!)
Anthem AVM30 Pre/Pro
Carver Premiere AV705x THX Amplifier
Stereo Mirage BPSS-210 Subwoofers crossed over using the Mirage LFX3 External Crossover for stereo and partial LFE on movies (great accuracy, low distortion, but not as much punch in my very large family room for use with movies. they are no longer available but are by far the best sounding subs for music I have heard. I have a HUGE fear of damaging them because it would be very difficult and expensive to replace them due to their accuracy, low distortion, and very low frequency response, although the spouse would love to free up the floor space...)
post #4821 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwebuser View Post

Great thread - so much info! Trying to sort out which speakers to grab for a new set of surrounds for my 5.1 system. Currently using a set of AR 308HO (bookshelf?) speakers on stands for surrounds. Mids and highs are great, mid-bass and lower are mediocre (muddy-ish) - but the main idea is to get my surrounds up onto the walls to recover floor space and to meet the spousal acceptance factor AND to sound as outstanding as the rest of my system without spending and arm and a leg. I have always liked Definitive and believe they would complement the rest of my system nicely.
Looking at the ProCenter 2000 and the Mythos 8 for my new surrounds. I think I would be happy with either, but want to get some opinions on things to consider when choosing. Also, it there such a thing as white speaker cloth socks that could be pulled over the speakers to further add to the spousal acceptance factor? How easily they wall-mount is something to consider as well. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
I actually own both and am in fact looking to sell my Mythos Eight as I just upgraded to a Mythos Ten. That being said I do prefer the Eight over the PC2000 as I like the larger form factor and the fact that the drivers and bass radiators are all facing forward in the Eight. This I think give a bit clearer sound. That being said though, I believe the PC2000 can actually be bought in white if you wanted it (I could be wrong about that), but the Eight can not. Im sure you could make any type of "sock" to make it white that you wanted if you had to. Another interesting point to consider, the Eight comes with a wall bracket where as the PC2000 requires the ProMount 90's and they are another $50. But they are positionable whereas the Eights a flat wall mount, but the PC2000 with ProMount 90's sticks out from the wall a lot more.
post #4822 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

I actually own both and am in fact looking to sell my Mythos Eight as I just upgraded to a Mythos Ten. That being said I do prefer the Eight over the PC2000 as I like the larger form factor and the fact that the drivers and bass radiators are all facing forward in the Eight. This I think give a bit clearer sound. That being said though, I believe the PC2000 can actually be bought in white if you wanted it (I could be wrong about that), but the Eight can not. Im sure you could make any type of "sock" to make it white that you wanted if you had to. Another interesting point to consider, the Eight comes with a wall bracket where as the PC2000 requires the ProMount 90's and they are another $50. But they are positionable whereas the Eights a flat wall mount, but the PC2000 with ProMount 90's sticks out from the wall a lot more.
Hi Ben, good answer! We don't sell a white sock material for the Mythos - sorry about that. We don't get a lot of consumer calls for it. PC 2000 is not available in white, only black, as it is primarily a center speaker. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4823 of 5542
Thanks guys! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two Mythos Eights for new surrounds - thank you for your input Ben, it was instrumental in my decision. As far as the white socks are concerned, since they are not available from Def Tech, worse to worse I can either leave them black (which I prefer, but my wife thinks she would like the white better), or I can get some white speaker cloth from parts express and make a couple of socks myself to pull over the entire speaker. Looking forward to getting these installed and dialed in. Take care!
-Jim
post #4824 of 5542
Hey guys,

I have an Elite and would like to know everyone opinion on Velodyne's Optimum series subs. I am looking at this unit since it has build in room EQ and I think this will compliment the Elite MCACC since it doesn't offer sub EQ.

Please let me know. I have a itchy finger on the Velodyne's Optimum 10 unit. I will be replacing the Polk MicroPro 2000 sub-woofer with the Velodyne's Optimum. Also, have the Mythos ST as the main with build in subs and would like to know if match the sound of the towers.

Deftech has anything with build in room EQ?
post #4825 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellas27 View Post

Hey guys,
I have an Elite and would like to know everyone opinion on Velodyne's Optimum series subs. I am looking at this unit since it has build in room EQ and I think this will compliment the Elite MCACC since it doesn't offer sub EQ.
Please let me know. I have a itchy finger on the Velodyne's Optimum 10 unit. I will be replacing the Polk MicroPro 2000 sub-woofer with the Velodyne's Optimum. Also, have the Mythos ST as the main with build in subs and would like to know if match the sound of the towers.
Deftech has anything with build in room EQ?
Hi Goodfella, I used to work for Velodyne until last summer, and I am very familiar with that sub. You might be happier with the SC 6000 or SC 8000. They are both compact, great sounding, and both have a remote control with loads of adjustments to get the subs dialed in to your system. Whlle neither has room EQ, most modern receivers have fairly sophisticated room EQ schemes in them such as Audyssey. The 6000 would be a bit less money, the 8000 would be a bit more. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4826 of 5542
Thanks for your input Joe. I will consider.
post #4827 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellas27 View Post

Thanks for your input Joe. I will consider.
Great Goodfella - best, Joe
post #4828 of 5542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post


Many people get confused on how to use the ST or STS speakers. I will lay down a guide which all can follow to the letter for maximum results.


So lets get stared .

Home theater use , if there is no external sub in the system , run speaker wire and LFE to each tower speaker. Set your preamp/ receiver to large fronts and yes to sub. This will allow the internal subs to play the LFE direct from line level and allow the front channels be full range. You have to tune the speaker first without having LFE there , then you use the LFE line level control to tailor there output.

Steps to calibrate the ST or STS speaker before LFE.

1. Turn rear volume up to 12 oclock.

2. Use a SPL meter and meter the speaker at the listening area to 75db.

3. Turn sub level up until the DB goes above 75db then back it down to get 75db.

What you just did is "tune" the ST or STS for full range use. This will make the speaker appear to be full range passive sounding for 2 channel playback.


Adding in LFE.

1. Install Line Level LFE to each Tower.

2. Use a Y splitter RCA if your receiver or preamp does not have dual Sub outs.

3.Manually calibrate speakers with SPL and adjust line level LFE to 75db with all other speakers in system.

This now will give you the best of both worlds.


So this is a great guide line to follow when owning these speakers. You can set them up any way you like. I have Installed these speakers many times and I personally own them myself. This is what I found to work the best. I learned from Def Tech engineers how they are designed and what makes them work. I took that info and used it then added in my personal touch from experience.

Really? So what if you set the volume to zero, 1/3, 1/2, 5/8s, or whatever. You consider it tuned for full range use? Besides the test tones may not phase the SPL at these levels and distance.
post #4829 of 5542
The test tone is set for a reference value of -75db. You will find that if you turn the master volume up when the test tone is on it does not change. -75db is more than likely used as an average listening level and gives you another -25db as headroom before you reach 0db which more than likely is full output for most receivers and power amps. So setting the volume at 1/3, 1/2, 5/8s makes no difference when using the test tone during setup.
post #4830 of 5542
Sorry Madd, you lost me.

I guess I'm just suggesting that you can't calibrate the STS sub volume for all listening sources. It's really a matter of personal preference, at least I think so. I'm always tweaking my STS volume depending on the CD, LP, or even track.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread