or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 164

post #4891 of 5541
This is off subject from the last post, but since this is a deftech mythos thread thought i would drop in. Im a new member, and wanted to just add my experiance with the mythos series. About two months ago I upgraded my mid-level polk setup to the deftech mythos. Im currently running:
-Mythos sts
-Mythos gems
-CS-8040 center
- deftech prosub 1000

Im only pushing this with a entry level yamaha (105 watts per channel) and so far it couldn't be more pleased! I have read alot on here the decision on a center that works well with the sts, well i went with the 8040 over the 9 or 10 and im glad i did. it blends so perfectly well together and dialogue sounds great. I already had the prosub with my polk setup before i purchased the sts. I wasnt sure if it was needed with the sts being powered subs already but it blends really well for movies the way i have it setup. As far for music i only listen to 2 channel and the sub is not needed. I have medium size typical living room and my experience is the sts has plenty of bass for music by their self. The more and more i listen to the sts for music the more they blow me away! the sound stage they provide is unreal!biggrin.gif
(listening to exp. jazz artist Tommy Guerrero bongo player on them is a treat itself)
Just wanted to share my feedback on here for anyone looking or thinking about getting these speakers, they are well worth it!
I also made my own custom ceiling mounts for the mythos gems, incase anyone was having are hard time finding some that are worth a s*%t. so feel free to ask.
I will post pics soon of my set-up.
post #4892 of 5541
Hey Guys - Looking for some advice for an audio newb. Currently running two mythos 4's and a mythos 7 center and an SVS sub off my Onky SR607. Need new surrounds. We have a large 'great" room where the back of the room is a kitchen, with lots of hardwood/tile/windows over the whole greatroom.

My main problem is the dialog is extremely hard to hear and if I turn up the volume to a level significant enough to hear well on my Onkyo, it goes into protect mode within 30 seconds.

While I can't change some of the room properties, I think a better powered amp will help. Preferrably 3D ready with Airplay. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Trojan
post #4893 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

Hey Guys - Looking for some advice for an audio newb. Currently running two mythos 4's and a mythos 7 center and an SVS sub off my Onky SR607. Need new surrounds. We have a large 'great" room where the back of the room is a kitchen, with lots of hardwood/tile/windows over the whole greatroom.
My main problem is the dialog is extremely hard to hear and if I turn up the volume to a level significant enough to hear well on my Onkyo, it goes into protect mode within 30 seconds.
While I can't change some of the room properties, I think a better powered amp will help. Preferrably 3D ready with Airplay. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Trojan

Start by making sure the center is not having any issues that may be getting masked by other speakers. Disconnect all the other speakers/subs except the center. Play a movie or show and listen to the dialogue. If you are still having issues, swap in one of your mains to see if the problems persist. If they do, check the settings in your AVR. If they don't, investigate the center for possible issues. Def Tech has a very good support crew that can walk you through how to do this.

If the issue with dialogue continues regardless of you speaker, or the AVR keeps going into protect mode, verify the wiring isn't crossed or shorting anywhere. Verify the gain isn't cut for the center (speaker levels are incorrectly set). Also try running the Audyssey set up if you haven't already to see if this helps or if a bad setup due to a goof caused the settings to go awry. Also see what size the center is set at, it should be small, with a crossover set somewhere between 80 to 150 hz.

These will cost nothing, and you may be able to keep the AVR you have and enjoy it much more. Don't forget that an increase in watage is going to be pretty hard to actually hear. Your receiver is rated at 90 watts per channel (what it actually puts out I don't know). If it is even putting out 60 watts, you will need a receiver that trully puts out 120 watts/ch to even get slight increase in perceived volume (about 3db).
post #4894 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscheiderich View Post

I'm having trouble opening up a mythos GEM as well in order to replace drivers. I found the 6 screws behind the rubber inserts, but it looks like the front bezel is glued into the cabinet at the corners. Is this normal? What's the best way to pop the front bezel out of the cabinet?
Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin, I suggest you contact Adam, Chet and TJ at info@definitivetech.com. They may be able to suggest the best way to get this done. Best regards, Joe
post #4895 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrown 22 View Post

This is off subject from the last post, but since this is a deftech mythos thread thought i would drop in. Im a new member, and wanted to just add my experiance with the mythos series. About two months ago I upgraded my mid-level polk setup to the deftech mythos. Im currently running:
-Mythos sts
-Mythos gems
-CS-8040 center
- deftech prosub 1000
Im only pushing this with a entry level yamaha (105 watts per channel) and so far it couldn't be more pleased! I have read alot on here the decision on a center that works well with the sts, well i went with the 8040 over the 9 or 10 and im glad i did. it blends so perfectly well together and dialogue sounds great. I already had the prosub with my polk setup before i purchased the sts. I wasnt sure if it was needed with the sts being powered subs already but it blends really well for movies the way i have it setup. As far for music i only listen to 2 channel and the sub is not needed. I have medium size typical living room and my experience is the sts has plenty of bass for music by their self. The more and more i listen to the sts for music the more they blow me away! the sound stage they provide is unreal!biggrin.gif
(listening to exp. jazz artist Tommy Guerrero bongo player on them is a treat itself)
Just wanted to share my feedback on here for anyone looking or thinking about getting these speakers, they are well worth it!
I also made my own custom ceiling mounts for the mythos gems, incase anyone was having are hard time finding some that are worth a s*%t. so feel free to ask.
I will post pics soon of my set-up.
Hi Doc, there's nothing better than a happy music lover! I am glad you dig the STS sytem. Most speakers look like... welll, speakers. The STS is a really cool design. Kudos to you also for going with the best center channel you can. That is a crucial (and under-rated) part of any multi-channel system. Have a great day and thanks for buying Definitive - best, Joe
post #4896 of 5541
Great answer to Trojan35, Snowmanick! Doing a little investigative work may save a trip to the local dealer for a new receiver... and the money can be spent on more music and movies.
I am all for upgrading, but if it's a wiring issue or a bad center speaker, a new amp won't fix those problems. Best, Joe
post #4897 of 5541
Hello Definitive Technology fans, you might want to check out our Facebook page for a chance to win a SoloCinema XTR. Enjoy - best, Joe
post #4898 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Wow! How this thread has grown...

Question please: I had to remove my Def Tech Mythos 8's from the wall.

When this happened, the center socket of one of the binding posts broke off.

I called Def Tech who graciously agreed to send me a replacement.

However, I was wondering exactly what the specific steps would be to replace the binding posts. (I don't want to start unscrewing the screws on the speaker until I know exactly what I'm doing)

If you know the specific steps to do this and/or have a link to a guide, I'd sure appreciate it if you would please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!
post #4899 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Got my answer! Many thanks, Chet!
post #4900 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Fanta, I am sorry to hear you have a damaged unit. We don't often get tweeter issues like that, but Chet, Adam and our new tech, TJ, stand at the ready to help if need be; info@definitivetech.com. Thanks for owning Definitive - Best, Joe

Hey Joe,

I am wondering if you could help as I am running out of ideas here.

Bajawaverunner sent me out a new tweeter awhile back and then we determined that the tower needed to be sent in. This was early to mid August. I got the shipping label, sent it in....and haven't received a replacement. I have been sending Baja messages and it takes weeks to get a response...at this point in time it is getting ridiculous.

I know you said you don't have direct contact, but is there anything you can do to help me out? I feel awful as this is my father's and he hasn't complained at all but I am the one responsible here...

His last message to me was almost 3 weeks ago now.

Thanks
post #4901 of 5541
Hi Fanta, I'll PM you and we'll see what we can do. Best, Joe
post #4902 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi Fanta, I'll PM you and we'll see what we can do. Best, Joe

Thanks Joe,

Appreciate it, I know it isn't yours or Deftech's direct responsibility. But pushing the issue has forced Bajawaverunner to respond.

Thanks again.
post #4903 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Thanks Joe,
Appreciate it, I know it isn't yours or Deftech's direct responsibility. But pushing the issue has forced Bajawaverunner to respond.
Thanks again.
You are welcome of course Fanta! Best, Joe
post #4904 of 5541
@Joe or other Definitive folks,

Can the UIW RLS II or RLS III in-wall speakers be mouted horizontally vs vertically? If so, would the overall sound be negatively affected in any way?
post #4905 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Wow! How this thread has grown...
Question please: I had to remove my Def Tech Mythos 8's from the wall.
When this happened, the center socket of one of the binding posts broke off.
I called Def Tech who graciously agreed to send me a replacement.
However, I was wondering exactly what the specific steps would be to replace the binding posts. (I don't want to start unscrewing the screws on the speaker until I know exactly what I'm doing)
If you know the specific steps to do this and/or have a link to a guide, I'd sure appreciate it if you would please let me know.
Many thanks in advance!

This turned out to be a very, very easy fix--I was a interested to see how much of the speaker was simply space as opposed to drivers, but a speaker's performance is certainly much more than the sum of it's parts.

DefTech made it very easy to make repairs in their design, which I very much appreciate.
post #4906 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

@Joe or other Definitive folks,
Can the UIW RLS II or RLS III in-wall speakers be mouted horizontally vs vertically? If so, would the overall sound be negatively affected in any way?
Hello Ack, yes, they can be mounted horizontally, but that usually involves some custom-building. Stud walls are always running vertically, so a bit of re-framing is generally needed to get them mounted horizontally, and it may not be worth the hassle. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4907 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hello Ack, yes, they can be mounted horizontally, but that usually involves some custom-building. Stud walls are always running vertically, so a bit of re-framing is generally needed to get them mounted horizontally, and it may not be worth the hassle. I hope this helps - best, Joe

Thanks Joe, the question was concerning a fellow AVS member, and this is new construction so he will not have any issue framing for the center channel prior to drywall.

Cheers!
post #4908 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Thanks Joe, the question was concerning a fellow AVS member, and this is new construction so he will not have any issue framing for the center channel prior to drywall.
Cheers!
Sounds good to me, Ack. I thought about that possibility about 20 minutes after I replied...smile.gif
post #4909 of 5541
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi CrazyNurse, you will be happy to know that Definitive has been CARB compliant with all of our products since these standards first became effective in California. They Mythos series, and all of our products, are good to go. We have completed both CARB 1 and 2 transitions on time. BajaWaverunner sells re-furbished and discontinued products. If we re-furbish a product that was produced before the CARB standards became effective, there is no way to go back and implement the changes. So Baja doesn't sell those older products in California. I hope this helps - best, Joe

Joe: I have Mythos One fronts, RSS side surrounds, and Mythos 8's as rear surrounds. Are all of these CARB compliant? (Just asking because the Ones and 8's have been discontinued). Thanks!
post #4910 of 5541
I live in CA and CARB is the California Air Resources Board.
Could you expand on what you're talking about?
thanks-
post #4911 of 5541
Anybody know where I could listen to the XTR-60's in DFW, TX? Currently wanting to replace my Mythos 6's and 7 as I'm going from a 58" to the 80" so I think the XTR-60's would look much nicer surrounded by a bigger speaker.

Also if anybody could advise of a sound comparison between the 60's compared to the Mythos 6's and 7. I assume the XTR-50's are equivalent to the 6's and 7?

Thanks!
post #4912 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojasonyo View Post

Anybody know where I could listen to the XTR-60's in DFW, TX? Currently wanting to replace my Mythos 6's and 7 as I'm going from a 58" to the 80" so I think the XTR-60's would look much nicer surrounded by a bigger speaker.
Also if anybody could advise of a sound comparison between the 60's compared to the Mythos 6's and 7. I assume the XTR-50's are equivalent to the 6's and 7?
Thanks!
Hello Yo, you might try info@definitivetech.com and Chet / TJ / Adam can hook you up with dealers in Dallas. I am overseas today or I would check with them myself. Or just call 800 - 228 - 7148. Thanks! Best, Joe
post #4913 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Joe: I have Mythos One fronts, RSS side surrounds, and Mythos 8's as rear surrounds. Are all of these CARB compliant? (Just asking because the Ones and 8's have been discontinued). Thanks!
Hello MVP, no worries. The Ones and Eights were discontinued because their sales had begun slowing down, not because of any CARB issues. I am not 100% sure when you bought those, but we have been following CARB compliance as it has unfolded, and we completed both the Level 1 and Level 2 compliance requirements as they became effective. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4914 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hello G, in my view, that set-up should not sound tinny. Have you played with the phase and crossover controls to get the blend dialed in correctly? Also the corssover controls can make a big difference. Let us know OK? Best, Joe

I returned the 7 and sprung for a mythos 10, which sounds much fuller, like the PC1000's did.. I think they both have 5.25 inch drivers so maybe that's the trick. I did run the Pioneer calibration system and played with the crossover.. The pioneer is not very flexible there so it's at 100mhz. Anyway.. Happy with my definitive setup now. Thanks.
post #4915 of 5541
Can the XTRs be installed in the walls?
post #4916 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

Can the XTRs be installed in the walls?
Hello C, XTR products are really on-wall products. The UIW and DI gear is in-wall oriented. Does that help you? Best, Joe
post #4917 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

I returned the 7 and sprung for a mythos 10, which sounds much fuller, like the PC1000's did.. I think they both have 5.25 inch drivers so maybe that's the trick. I did run the Pioneer calibration system and played with the crossover.. The pioneer is not very flexible there so it's at 100mhz. Anyway.. Happy with my definitive setup now. Thanks.
I tried an 8 first, but ended up selling it for a 10 as well. The lacking BDSS's just made the 8 lack in lows. The 10 is awesome though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

Can the XTRs be installed in the walls?
IN the walls? How to you mean? Like embedded? They are only 1.5" deep, you wouldnt really have to go through the trouble I wouldnt think. But if you wanted to I guess you could.
post #4918 of 5541
I was just curious to have them truly in wall. But as I look at them for my 32" TV they would be with for a screened in room, the smallest Mythos XTR's would be to big.

I think I will stick with my plans to use the 6.5R for rears in the ceiling and then the DI 5.5 or 6.5LCR for the fronts and find a floor subwoofer since the IWsub is pretty expensive and then needing the extra amp on top biggrin.gif
post #4919 of 5541
I've got an older Mythos 123 setup and recently modified my room configuration such that I need to put the 2's on stands. The only thing I could find from Def Tech is the Mythos 6 and Gem stands. I'm guessing the 6 stands will work but was hoping someone could confirm before I pull the trigger? Thanks.

EDIT: Finally got to a PC where I could do a proper search of the thread (haven't figured this out yet with the new mobile site, if it's even possible?). I found this post. Unfortunately, the Sanus FF-1's are discontinued and I'm not having much luck finding their successor so if anyone has any recommendations please chime in!
Edited by jkasanic - 11/18/12 at 9:51am
post #4920 of 5541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

I've got an older Mythos 123 setup and recently modified my room configuration such that I need to put the 2's on stands. The only thing I could find from Def Tech is the Mythos 6 and Gem stands. I'm guessing the 6 stands will work but was hoping someone could confirm before I pull the trigger? Thanks.
EDIT: Finally got to a PC where I could do a proper search of the thread (haven't figured this out yet with the new mobile site, if it's even possible?). I found this post. Unfortunately, the Sanus FF-1's are discontinued and I'm not having much luck finding their successor so if anyone has any recommendations please chime in!
Hi JK, we didn't make a Mythos Two stand, as the Mythos 5 was basically the same product in a floor standing tower configuration. The Mythos 6 stand won't work well with the Two. I am sorry that I can't help much with this one - best, Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread