or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 182

post #5431 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Hi Joe,
I was fine tuning the onboard sub volume on my Mythos ST mains with test tones and the SPL function in REW when I noticed something unusual.

One speaker, my left, does fine with an 11:30 setting to get a 75 db output. However, on the right speaker, I'm getting close to a 90 db read at 11:30, and lowering the gain all the way down to the bottom only reduces the read maybe 2-3 db. This speaker is almost 3' from the nearest corner. I know room gain is an issue (REW finds a 95 db peak at 25 Hz, less so for my left speaker), but isn't it strange that dialing the gain all the way down produces a minimal change in db? On my left speaker, cutting the gain to the minimum produces a silent woofer that yields the db level of my noise floor, approximately 50 db, which is what I'd expect. BTW all these tests were done with Audyssey off.

I have one solution in mind with a high pass filter for the right ST, but is there another reason why a woofer that has been dialed to the minimum has such a db read? I think the gain control is working, as the volume does go marginally up/down in the right direction.

BTW my Mythos ST are symmetric from one another and from the MLP, and Audyssey XT3/Pro set their trims when I ran them as Small/80 Hz crossover at -3.5 and -4.0 db respectively,
Hi Stuart, did my home town get hit with the snow we've gotten on the East Coast? Yes, that's a strange one, especially the part about turning the volume knob almost all the way down, and seeing practically no gain change. My guess is that the potentiometer has lost it's way, but this definitely merits a call or e mail to Chet / Adam / TJ - 800-228-7148 or info@definitivetech.com. Best, Joe
post #5432 of 5540
^^
3-5" of snow in the Chicago area, in the usual pattern of more further west from Lake Michigan, and some bad traffic accidents on the expressways west and north of O'Hare. A bit slippery in the city, but we've seen much worse.

My workaround involves band limited test tones and a steep high pass filter on my speaker to flatten that 25 Hz peak, but I'll give DT support a call to see if there's a mechanical issue.

Best,
Stuart
post #5433 of 5540
Has anyone heard the new ST-L?

I have been browsing the web but could only find press release information about those and some very brief first impressions from people who heard them at CEDIA this year.

Does anyone have an idea about when they will be available?
post #5434 of 5540
can't read through all 182 pages right now..
but does anyone have the #4 floor standing unit(s) how they sound..?
I understand with 3.5" drivers the low end isn't going to rock the house.. but I found one, and it looks like it look at home as my center speaker.. and I'm looking at how they sound (within the driver limits) and do they last..
never heard of them before . and no one local sells them(at least I haven't found anyone) to hear what they sound like, figuring the newer ones that be in a store would sound about the same with same driver set up.. with in reason..
post #5435 of 5540
I have a pair of fours and a three for the center. The fours have 4.5" drivers and I'm not sure how you would use one as a center if it needs to be deployed on its side rather than standing.

They sound great paired with a sub and have lasted since 2005 with heavy use.
post #5436 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Has anyone heard the new ST-L?

I have been browsing the web but could only find press release information about those and some very brief first impressions from people who heard them at CEDIA this year.

Does anyone have an idea about when they will be available?

According to the DT website they're on pre-order. Along with the technical improvements to the midrange and tweeters, it seems that they've put a lot of thought into convenience features for the powered subs/woofer section, including 'stereo bass' volume control, digital volume on the remote, and a night mode:

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st-l
post #5437 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I have a pair of fours and a three for the center. The fours have 4.5" drivers and I'm not sure how you would use one as a center if it needs to be deployed on its side rather than standing.

They sound great paired with a sub and have lasted since 2005 with heavy use.

thanks,, you think 299. is fair for a new open box with full warranty
post #5438 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Has anyone heard the new ST-L?

I have been browsing the web but could only find press release information about those and some very brief first impressions from people who heard them at CEDIA this year.

Does anyone have an idea about when they will be available?
HI Stef, the unofficial word is that if all goes well with final QC - and that is never guaranteed - they hope to begin shipping at the end of December. What that means in terms of a store near you getting a pair for demo is anyone's guess. Good luck - best, Joe
post #5439 of 5540
Hi Guys!

My wife and I just purchased a new home and are doing some extensive remodeling before we move in. Unfortunately, the only place for the TV is over the fireplace (yes, I dislike this as much as everyone else). I have already ripped a giant mantle out and plan to take a couple courses of bricks off in hope to bring the bottom of my tv down to the 40" from the deck neighborhood. I will also be looking for AT LEAST a wall mounted center, and possibly wall mounted mains.

Here's where you guys come in. I currently run 2 Bowers 683 towers as mains and think they sound great. While recently in the local Best Buy, I auditioned the XTR-50 and was completely underwhelmed. Granted, the XTR-60, which wasn't on hand, would be the model I'd be looking to buy, but in your guys' experience, understanding that this IS a Def Tech thread, is there a Def Tech speaker for ~$750 that sonically can compete with the $750 Bowers 683, or is the ~$750 Def Tech speakers cost mostly due to that thin, admittedly sexy little profile?

..or perhaps I should be looking at different wall mounted Def Tech products than the XTR, like perhaps the Mythos 6?

I honestly was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of XTR-60's, but those 50's just sounded so anemic I don't know if I can. I just feel like I'd be giving up too much depth and punch in lieu of aesthetics.

Help?confused.gif
post #5440 of 5540
Did you use a subwoofer with them? When used on wall you need to cross them over at 100hz which is where a lot of the weight from the sounds comes from.
Edited by truwarrior22 - 12/20/13 at 11:38pm
post #5441 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

...... but in your guys' experience, understanding that this IS a Def Tech thread, is there a Def Tech speaker for ~$750 that sonically can compete with the $750 Bowers 683, or is the ~$750 Def Tech speakers cost mostly due to that thin, admittedly sexy little profile?

..or perhaps I should be looking at different wall mounted Def Tech products than the XTR, like perhaps the Mythos 6?

I honestly was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of XTR-60's, but those 50's just sounded so anemic I don't know if I can. I just feel like I'd be giving up too much depth and punch in lieu of aesthetics.

Help?confused.gif

To put it bluntly, there are very few wall-mountable speakers, at any price, that can perform like a good floor-standing tower speaker. Given your price target, I would say that there are none. You will have to compromise on the sound, or spend more to get the sound quality you want. Even the best wall-mounted speaker will need to be matched with a good subwoofer to produce full-range sound, which adds to the cost.

Based on my personal experience, I would recommend the Mythos Nine for C,L & R, (which can be had for ~$750 each), matched with a good sub from the DefTech or Hsu product line.
post #5442 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post

To put it bluntly, there are very few wall-mountable speakers, at any price, that can perform like a good floor-standing tower speaker. Given your price target, I would say that there are none. You will have to compromise on the sound, or spend more to get the sound quality you want. Even the best wall-mounted speaker will need to be matched with a good subwoofer to produce full-range sound, which adds to the cost.

Based on my personal experience, I would recommend the Mythos Nine for C,L & R, (which can be had for ~$750 each), matched with a good sub from the DefTech or Hsu product line.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Truwarrior, when auditioning the XTR-50's, it was without a sub per my request. Being familiar with the Supercube 2, which I own, I wanted to hear exactly what was coming from the XTR. About that, after living with the Supercube 2 for a while, I have decided that it is a bit too slow to be much use for most of my music listening, and is dreadfully muddy over about 100hz. The reason I keep it is because for movies, crossed over at 80hz the thing is absolutely brutal...when something blows up, we wants it to blow up, dig? Plus, the 683 towers I run easily extend down to where the Supercube starts to sound passable. For music I typically cross over at 50hz, and barely blend in the sub at all most of the time.

Spock, wall mounted speakers as a category's lack of bravado was what I was afraid of, and indeed what I'm starting to realize. Thanks for the Mythos 9 recommendation, although I would (especially now) want to audition them before purchasing, and would also probably want to pair them with more musical subs....something more accurate anyway. Small enclosure sealed 8's without radiators. Would you agree that the XTR line gives up sound quality to the wall mounted Mythos line in favor of the slimmer profile?

I think I'm talking myself into keeping my 683's and figuring out how to run 'em.cool.gif
post #5443 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

Would you agree that the XTR line gives up sound quality to the wall mounted Mythos line in favor of the slimmer profile?

I listened to both the XTRs and the Mythos line at BestBuy before making my decision. I absolutely agree that the XTRs are not as good as the Mythos speakers when it comes to sound quality. You just can't overcome the laws of physics. If you A-B the XTR and the Mythos Nine you will clearly hear the difference, particularly in the lower midrange where the male voices are. This makes a huge difference in the perception of the 'full rich sound' that we want from our speakers, especially in this price range.
post #5444 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post

I listened to both the XTRs and the Mythos line at BestBuy before making my decision. I absolutely agree that the XTRs are not as good as the Mythos speakers when it comes to sound quality. You just can't overcome the laws of physics. If you A-B the XTR and the Mythos Nine you will clearly hear the difference, particularly in the lower midrange where the male voices are. This makes a huge difference in the perception of the 'full rich sound' that we want from our speakers, especially in this price range.
Hi Dr. Spock, and A Drumming, yes, the XTR's are amazing for how slim they are, but doing a head to head comparison of them vs. any good tower speaker is just not fair :-). The Mythos 9 might be your pick. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #5445 of 5540
Ok, I have a problem. I bought a set of mythos nines for l/c/r before we bought this house. Looks like it's going to be major effort to get them installed as l/r, but the center would be fine. I'm considering getting a pair of promonitor 800's instead. How you you feel they would match with the mythos nine for the front soundstage? My usage is 98% movies.
post #5446 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepx13 View Post

Ok, I have a problem. I bought a set of mythos nines for l/c/r before we bought this house. Looks like it's going to be major effort to get them installed as l/r, but the center would be fine. I'm considering getting a pair of promonitor 800's instead. How you you feel they would match with the mythos nine for the front soundstage? My usage is 98% movies.
Hello Shep, it should not be too tough to get those installed. Have you spoken to DT tech support? 800-228-7148. If you truly cannot use them, I would try at least moving to the PM 1000. The 800's are very nice, but a significant step down from Mythos 9. Best, Joe
post #5447 of 5540
Hey Joeatdefinitive, it's more a matter of space than anything. It's going to be really cramped if I use the Nines as my l/r, and the left one will be pretty close to a wall. Something smaller could be toed in if used with swivel mounts, which should help negate the direct reflection from the wall.
post #5448 of 5540
Just wanted to wish my mythos people a Merry Christmas
post #5449 of 5540
i recently purchased 2 bp 8040st's and bp8060st center...on one of the 8040st the light on the back is solid green while it's solid red on the other 2..
does this mean the sub on 2 speakers(solid red) is not working ?
why different colors on the same speaker line ?

def tech gurus please help...
post #5450 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgutta View Post

i recently purchased 2 bp 8040st's and bp8060st center...on one of the 8040st the light on the back is solid green while it's solid red on the other 2..
does this mean the sub on 2 speakers(solid red) is not working ?
why different colors on the same speaker line ?

def tech gurus please help...

Unless I'm missing something there is only one LED on each speaker. If the LED is on that means they are working.
post #5451 of 5540
Yes there is only one led. But the color of that led is green on one speaker and red on other 2 speakers. I am concerned if green means it's working and red means there's an issue ?
post #5452 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgutta View Post

Yes there is only one led. But the color of that led is green on one speaker and red on other 2 speakers. I am concerned if green means it's working and red means there's an issue ?

I wouldn't worry. It just sounds like manufacturing used a green LED instead of the the usual red. Removing the speaker cover/grill and checking the woofer movement during play back is another way to tell if it's working.
post #5453 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

I wouldn't worry. It just sounds like manufacturing used a green LED instead of the the usual red. Removing the speaker cover/grill and checking the woofer movement during play back is another way to tell if it's working.
Thanks Maddmaster!
post #5454 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgutta View Post

Thanks Maddmaster!
Hello KP and Madd, yes, at one point they changed the LED color, I don't even remember why...Best, Joe
post #5455 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I would agree with this. That said, I contend that once you have enough power (continuous and peak), more power does nothing for you. The X4000 mentioned above has ample power to drive all but a few systems with authority.

I remember when I bought the Peachtree Nova and installed it in my living room system in lieu of my old Carver Receiver. With some of my reference jazz recordings, I could definitely hear a difference in headroom with the Nova just not having the power to properly drive my speakers at volume. The Carver moved back in and I sold the Peachtree. I have since replaced my Carver in this system with a Pioneer VSX-1122 and it drives my speakers with authority.

I'll throw a wrench in the system now... If I were building a system from scratch today, I would buy 5 identical powered monitors (I'm a fan of the Mackie HR624), two powered subwoofers (HSU's look good to me) and drive them all with a preamp/processor. No separate power amp.
+1

I have Mythos 1 LR and Mythos 3 Center. I added an Emotiva XPA-3 LCR a couple years ago and I found (opinion, in my mind anyhow) 10-20 percent better detail. (+Supercube I)
Not amazing, but kicked it up a little.

On to my Question. My theater is 12X20 (Screen on narrow side) and I have the sub in the right rear. Only real location now.
I feel I'm missing a lot when it comes to music, especially for folks in the front row. I've narrowed to two options:

1) I'm looking at the Mythos 10 and ST. LCR
or
2) Building an in wall cabinet to house 2 SVS SB-1000a below the screen and below LCRs in front (No ported subs for me)

Any opinions, crossover nightmare stories or ...?
post #5456 of 5540
Mythos ten or a pc2000 for my center. I'm using pm1000's for my fronts and 8080 for surrounds. This is a bedroom setup. I like the looks of the mythos better to go with my 60 plasma. But don't want to spend another $500 to find out they sound the same?

Thanks
post #5457 of 5540
Changed front wall configuration and location of front height surrounds. Gems top L R Height, Mythos 8 top Center, Mythos 10 bottom Center and ST Front L and R.

post #5458 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Changed front wall configuration and location of front height surrounds. Gems top L R Height, Mythos 8 top Center, Mythos 10 bottom Center and ST Front L and R.


How do you find the sound of STs tucked into the corner. I thought about getting some, but I would have to have them in the corner by my screen as well. The manual said to give them more room. Also, how did you connect 2 CCs and how does that work for you? What's your view distance?

I run phantom CC with two SM65s right now. I like how it makes the sound come from the front of the screen. When I have a CC, it makes me focus right on the CC. Here is a pick from mine.

post #5459 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

How do you find the sound of STs tucked into the corner. I thought about getting some, but I would have to have them in the corner by my screen as well. The manual said to give them more room. Also, how did you connect 2 CCs and how does that work for you? What's your view distance?

I run phantom CC with two SM65s right now. I like how it makes the sound come from the front of the screen. When I have a CC, it makes me focus right on the CC. Here is a pick from mine.


Viewing distance is about 11 feet. The ST work very well. Slightly toeing them in little by little made a world of difference. They are 15 inches (back of speaker) the wall, 10 inches on the side wall to the speaker. Looking at your setup you will need to move your sub somewhere else in your room. If not you will find the bass lacking because the Bass from the ST and your Sub may cancel each other out. I had that problem until I moved my Sub far away from them. Right now it is on the right side wall about 15 feet away from them behind a Couch. If your Theater Chairs are against your left or right wall that a good place to put the Sub with the ST up front. At least that is what worked best for me and our rooms look similar. I use to have the STS which worked well also.

The Center's work well together. I split the Center RCA output with a Y Adapter running into the Power Amp.
Edited by Maddmaster - 1/20/14 at 7:53am
post #5460 of 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Viewing distance is about 11 feet. The ST work very well. Slightly toeing them in little by little made a world of difference. They are 15 inches (back of speaker) the wall, 10 inches on the side wall to the speaker. Looking at your setup you will need to move your sub somewhere else in your room. If not you will find the bass lacking because the Bass from the ST and your Sub may cancel each other out. I had that problem until I moved my Sub far away from them. Right now it is on the right side wall about 15 feet away from them behind a Couch. If your Theater Chairs are against your left or right wall that a good place to put the Sub with the ST up front. At least that is what worked best for me and our rooms look similar. I use to have the STS which worked well also.

The Center's work well together. I split the Center RCA output with a Y Adapter running into the Power Amp.

My SM65s are about a foot off the sides and back. What's your overall room dimension? My room is 21x12.5x9. Do you feel the heights add anything?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread