or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official EMP Owner's Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 38

post #1111 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresuki View Post

HT Labs measurement for Marantz SR6006
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 127.9 watts
1% distortion at 153.2 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 75.9 watts
1% distortion at 92.0 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 71.3 watts
1% distortion at 83.4 watts
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Awesome thanks for the info koresuki! with this info I might have the amp back in the budget for next year,
post #1112 of 3176
Has anybody plugged the vents on the back of their speakers?? The placement Of my speakers has to be next to the corners due to my screen and I was wondering if I pluggesd the vents if it would help with corner loading the e55Ti's. I guess I could go and test for myself but I have been so busy lately that I would not get to it for a while. Thoughts?
post #1113 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Has anybody plugged the vents on the back of their speakers?? The placement Of my speakers has to be next to the corners due to my screen and I was wondering if I pluggesd the vents if it would help with corner loading the e55Ti's. I guess I could go and test for myself but I have been so busy lately that I would not get to it for a while. Thoughts?

I'm interested in how they'd sound too.
post #1114 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Yamaha rx-v663....I knew this AVR was powerful! Never knew it had this much umph though biggrin.gif
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion -- 167 @ 8 ohms cool.gif
1% distortion -- 191 @ 8ohms

0.1% distortion -- 218 @ 4ohms
1% distortion -- 246 @ 4ohms

Seems the numbers aren't too good with 5 or 7 channels driven though. HT Labs said it seemed to run out of steam at higher volumes

This one is cool!: Marantz 5003

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 153.1 watts
1% distortion at 171.3 watts

0.1% distortion at 204.7 watts @4 ohms
1 percent distortion at 239.6 watts @4 ohms

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 103.8 watts
1% distortion at 118.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 88.2 watts
1% distortion at 99.9 watts

$595 with pre-outs too!
post #1115 of 3176
If you are talking about plugging/obstructing the vent holes in the speaker enclosure, I would advise against it. That is a sound port to allow the out of phase air to escape the enclosure. As the speaker cone moves forward and backward to project sound out of the front of the speaker enclosure, this cone will move opposite or backwards and forwards inside the enclosure. This port allows this anti-phase air to escape; without it the speaker cones must push against an enclosed box. The sound of the speaker is designed to have this port open.
post #1116 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresuki View Post

This one is cool!: Marantz 5003
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 153.1 watts
1% distortion at 171.3 watts
0.1% distortion at 204.7 watts @4 ohms
1 percent distortion at 239.6 watts @4 ohms
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 103.8 watts
1% distortion at 118.0 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 88.2 watts
1% distortion at 99.9 watts
$595 with pre-outs too!

Yeah that one isn't bad either, but 99% of people wouldn't be able to hear the difference (in regards to power) between this, the Yamaha and the other Marantz

Today I'll get some good auditioning time in with the speakers. I swear I heard a VERY slight resonance issue with the center channel yesterday while watching The Walking Dead. It was when an older guy was speaking so I'll start in the lower vocal range and work my way down with 1/3 or 1/6 octaves until I find the problem. Hopefully it was just "in" the show somehow and not a problem with something being loose inside or needing some cabinet work inside. They're still treating me great besides that though! Can't believe you can get the 5.0 for under $900...incredible. I need to find some nice mounts (likely going to use omnimounts or something of that sort since they'll go right into the e5bi supposedly) and mount those up. Miss having some surrounds!
post #1117 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4brain View Post

If you are talking about plugging/obstructing the vent holes in the speaker enclosure, I would advise against it. That is a sound port to allow the out of phase air to escape the enclosure. As the speaker cone moves forward and backward to project sound out of the front of the speaker enclosure, this cone will move opposite or backwards and forwards inside the enclosure. This port allows this anti-phase air to escape; without it the speaker cones must push against an enclosed box. The sound of the speaker is designed to have this port open.

Hmm...not sure if I follow you? All my speakers are phased correctly and crossed over at 80 or 90 on the avr so bass, for the most part, is all going to my subs. I know that you are suppose to pull the speaker away from the wall for best sound imaging especially speakers with ports on the back so that the sound does not reflect off of the wall. This is why people are using 703 or similar accoustic material on their screen walls in their theaters. I am going to see if I have something around the house today to do a comparison with. Good thing I have a four day weekend so I can find the time now. Also I have REW so I can take measurements to compair the differences.
post #1118 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Yeah that one isn't bad either, but 99% of people wouldn't be able to hear the difference (in regards to power) between this, the Yamaha and the other Marantz
Today I'll get some good auditioning time in with the speakers. I swear I heard a VERY slight resonance issue with the center channel yesterday while watching The Walking Dead. It was when an older guy was speaking so I'll start in the lower vocal range and work my way down with 1/3 or 1/6 octaves until I find the problem. Hopefully it was just "in" the show somehow and not a problem with something being loose inside or needing some cabinet work inside. They're still treating me great besides that though! Can't believe you can get the 5.0 for under $900...incredible. I need to find some nice mounts (likely going to use omnimounts or something of that sort since they'll go right into the e5bi supposedly) and mount those up. Miss having some surrounds!

That Yamaha receiver is nice. i retired it to the livingroom about a year ago because it does not do 3d, but it did a fabulous job. Also the pre-amp connections on the back are nice for connecting an amp (if you need one)


By the way.....I was listening to the B&W 802 diamonds at Magnolia inside a bestbuy. They had a marantz mono amp on each speaker and a marantz pre-amp to the amps. I think the sales guy said the setup was around 27,000 bucks. It sounded very nice and the room was accousticly treated. i then went home and listened to the Emp e55ti's that I have and could not justify the 27k spent. I do have an amp on my fronts and center as well, and I think that the speakers sound almost as good. That is my opinion. I was telling my wife, "look how much money we saved for almost as good sound". Once again, my opinion. People use to bash these speakers at the beginning of this thread that have not ever heard them. These speakers are truely amazing for the price.
post #1119 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That Yamaha receiver is nice. i retired it to the livingroom about a year ago because it does not do 3d, but it did a fabulous job. Also the pre-amp connections on the back are nice for connecting an amp (if you need one)
By the way.....I was listening to the B&W 802 diamonds at Magnolia inside a bestbuy. They had a marantz mono amp on each speaker and a marantz pre-amp to the amps. I think the sales guy said the setup was around 27,000 bucks. It sounded very nice and the room was accousticly treated. i then went home and listened to the Emp e55ti's that I have and could not justify the 27k spent. I do have an amp on my fronts and center as well, and I think that the speakers sound almost as good. That is my opinion. I was telling my wife, "look how much money we saved for almost as good sound". Once again, my opinion. People use to bash these speakers at the beginning of this thread that have not ever heard them. These speakers are truely amazing for the price.

Yeah the 663 is a very solid AVR, but I wish I could figure out the problem I'm having with it. The FRONT RIGHT channel does not put out anything sometimes when I power the unit on. Sometimes I just have to turn it off and back on and it'll work the first time I do that...sometimes it takes 3-4 times....and sometimes I can turn the volume up and it kicks the speaker (FRONT RIGHT) on. It's not the speaker I know that. I swapped my old speakers and figured out it was the AVR, not the speakers. Wish I could figure out why it's doing that
post #1120 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Yeah the 663 is a very solid AVR, but I wish I could figure out the problem I'm having with it. The FRONT RIGHT channel does not put out anything sometimes when I power the unit on. Sometimes I just have to turn it off and back on and it'll work the first time I do that...sometimes it takes 3-4 times....and sometimes I can turn the volume up and it kicks the speaker (FRONT RIGHT) on. It's not the speaker I know that. I swapped my old speakers and figured out it was the AVR, not the speakers. Wish I could figure out why it's doing that

Sounds like an internal issue with the avr. What source are you using when you have this problem and how is it integrated with the avr?
post #1121 of 3176
Happens with the cable box, WDTV Live...its definitely the AVR. Still upset I missed the 1712 "open box deal" at Best Buy. I wish they made a rally powerful 5.1/7.1/7.2/etc receiver that didnt have Airplay, etc. Just something powrful without all the quirks that add price.
post #1122 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Happens with the cable box, WDTV Live...its definitely the AVR. Still upset I missed the 1712 "open box deal" at Best Buy. I wish they made a rally powerful 5.1/7.1/7.2/etc receiver that didnt have Airplay, etc. Just something powrful without all the quirks that add price.

I would look for a Pioneer Elite receiver, sometimes newegg sells them at half price. It will be tough to find something as good as the 663 without breaking the bank.
post #1123 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would look for a Pioneer Elite receiver, sometimes newegg sells them at half price. It will be tough to find something as good as the 663 without breaking the bank.

There are plenty good receivers in the same ballpark price range that can do 3d and 4k scaling. I am not too familiar with the Pioneer Elite receivers except for setting one up and calibrating it. If I was going to go another way from yamaha i would choose Denon as a second choice and then Onkyo. just my opinion.
post #1124 of 3176
Ok i finally was able to get around to testing the differences between the ports being open and closed on the back of the e55ti's. I do not have the speakers eq'ed and I forgot to turn the crossover on my avr off but all the different variables were measured the same way. I only measured from 40hz to 250hz mainly because that was the area I was mostly concerned about. I am not a pro at REW but here ya go.



Clearly having both ports open sounds better to my ears by a long shot and the graph shows it as well in the bootom end. What I heard was way more dramatic then what the graph shows.
post #1125 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Ok i finally was able to get around to testing the differences between the ports being open and closed on the back of the e55ti's. I do not have the speakers eq'ed and I forgot to turn the crossover on my avr off but all the different variables were measured the same way. I only measured from 40hz to 250hz mainly because that was the area I was mostly concerned about. I am not a pro at REW but here ya go.

Clearly having both ports open sounds better to my ears by a long shot and the graph shows it as well in the bootom end. What I heard was way more dramatic then what the graph shows.
what program did you use to get this measurements? that's pretty cool and good to know!
post #1126 of 3176
I used REW. It is a free program you can download. REW = Room EQ Wizard. You can measure subs and speakers. Also, you can do waterfall measurements for the acoustics and there is phasing and a whole bunch of other things you can do with the program.
post #1127 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I used REW. It is a free program you can download. REW = Room EQ Wizard. You can measure subs and speakers. Also, you can do waterfall measurements for the acoustics and there is phasing and a whole bunch of other things you can do with the program.

Awesome another program to play with! Thanks for the info!!
post #1128 of 3176
Yea it will def will keep you entertained and off the streets and out of the bars. wink.gif

All you need now is a mic and if you want to actually tune your subs or speakers you will need some type of an eq. I went with the miniDSP. I only got that for my subs though. The chart I posted is uncorrected. You can also see how every seat in your living room or theater hears the different Frequency levels. This will really come in handy with subs since they are really tricky in placement and have more dulls than speakers. Good luck with it and enjoy.
post #1129 of 3176
Anyone know the thread size on the E5bi? I called EMP, but he didn't remember if it was 5mm or 1/4"-20...or 6mm lol. Looking for some wall mounts and don't want to order the wrong thing.

Everyone still liking the Impression series? Hasn't been much talk here lately....which could be a good thing
post #1130 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Anyone know the thread size on the E5bi? I called EMP, but he didn't remember if it was 5mm or 1/4"-20...or 6mm lol. Looking for some wall mounts and don't want to order the wrong thing.
Everyone still liking the Impression series? Hasn't been much talk here lately....which could be a good thing

No news is good news tongue.gif
post #1131 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

No news is good news tongue.gif

+1
just enjoying the speakers I have and no complaints. smile.gif I wish I could help you OUsooner2 but that is the only set of speakers I'm missing for the 7.2 system
post #1132 of 3176
So I was just playing around with my speakers...toe in, moving another foot apart, etc and the imaging went COMPLETELY different than what I was used to. I use various discs for setting up, but for imaging I like to use Autosound 2000: Disc 2 (Tracks 1-6; spec. tracks 5 & 6). I had the 7 snare drums pretty well lined up and they went across the stage like they should, but now (didn't change the TA or speaker levels) they pull HARD to the left and then jump over the right side. I'm obviously getting into some reflections due to having a wall (or more closed space) to the right of the FRONT RIGHT speaker, but to the left of the FRONT LEFT speaker is pretty much wide open.

When I add .5ft (about .45ms....obviously there are more variables than just that..) but when I add half a foot to the right speaker or take away half a foot from the left the imaging snaps back into place up front. Not as good as I've had it, but it's definitely focused up front. If I leave the FL and FR speakers the same distance then I feel like I can't pinpoint anything. Staging is all over the place it sounds more "up in your face" instead of the stage being where the speakers are and slightly behind them. Has anyone ran into this problem? I'm going to play around some more with different levels and distances and see what I find. It has to be some sort of reflection pulling it left. I might even try toe'ing them in more. Didn't think about that. If I could toe them in more and the imaging gets better, the problem is obvious and the reflection might be able to be better corrected instead of adding time delays and changing levels.

Here's the area I'm dealing with (don't judge me lol; Still very bare! It's my apartment furniture.....still furniture shopping and looking to move the couch and tv stand ...and tv for that matter OUT):

PIC IS DOWN...



By the way...just wanted to give a thumbs up to BlueJeansCable and suggest anyone that needs a custom wallplate head over there. Works great, looks great, etc. Love it and makes life much easier!


My DIY cables! Pretty schweet cool.gif

Edited by ousooner2 - 1/4/13 at 12:10pm
post #1133 of 3176
So I found my problem......and I feel RIDICULOUSLY stupid biggrin.gif:D

I have WAAY too much experience to do that...granted it was completely on accident, but it happened. It was funny and I knew something was wrong. I ran a few phase checks on my Alan Parsons disc and BAM. When he says "out of phase" it was definitely IN PHASE. No way! Could I have actually done that. So I get up to check trying to keep my ego in tact, but sure enough......when I put my Techflex/Sewell plugs on....I swapped polarity on that end. Everything is just lovely again lol
post #1134 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

So I found my problem......and I feel RIDICULOUSLY stupid biggrin.gif:D
I have WAAY too much experience to do that...granted it was completely on accident, but it happened. It was funny and I knew something was wrong. I ran a few phase checks on my Alan Parsons disc and BAM. When he says "out of phase" it was definitely IN PHASE. No way! Could I have actually done that. So I get up to check trying to keep my ego in tact, but sure enough......when I put my Techflex/Sewell plugs on....I swapped polarity on that end. Everything is just lovely again lol

Good job at knowing there was something wrong and then finding it. Dont feel stupid about switching the ends of the speaker cables. That can happen to anybody especially if they are distracted by some nagging or something else haha. This is what make this hobby fun.....you get to constantly play with your components and tweaking them. I just spent two days tuning my subs and I know that I will make changes in the future. I got these things pretty much as flat as I can get them on the chart though.
post #1135 of 3176
I can't count how many dumb things I've done when hooking stuff up. Just being in a hurry and not paying attention to what I'm doing. I'll have everything hooked up and it won't work and the mistake I made will be so obvious that I won't bother checking for it. Instead, I'll spend an hour banging my head against the wall and getting pissed. Then, when I finally pull my head out of my ass and recheck the basics, I'll find my problem. LOL
post #1136 of 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

I can't count how many dumb things I've done when hooking stuff up. Just being in a hurry and not paying attention to what I'm doing. I'll have everything hooked up and it won't work and the mistake I made will be so obvious that I won't bother checking for it. Instead, I'll spend an hour banging my head against the wall and getting pissed. Then, when I finally pull my head out of my ass and recheck the basics, I'll find my problem. LOL

Samething here. Last night I could not figure out why I was not getting any sound out of my computer to take measurements and then I looke up at the avr and realized it was not on the right input. I was thinking to my self "hello"! There are som many options/variables that every once in a while you have to do a little troubleshooting and sometimes you have to troubleshoot your mistakes unfortunately.biggrin.gif
post #1137 of 3176
haha I'm right there with all of you and finding that "OMG" moment, and thinking to myself did I really just do that?!?!? lol And OUsooner I love that room your in its huge looking! Very nice!
post #1138 of 3176
Ousooner2, glad you figured out the phase problem, always frustrating when something so trivial escapes you. Those cables look awesome! I was wanting to get some nicer ones, as my monoprice banana plugs are kind of lousy... Would you mind listing off what materials/process you used? (Have an Amazon gift card that would come in handy wink.gif ).
post #1139 of 3176
Haha seems pretty popular to have the "I'm an idiot" moment in the audio world. Thank goodness for all my "setup" discs/tracks. They've saved me many times and come in handy when figuring out basically everything you could need. If anyone would like to have some of these, I'd be willing to put them on a flash drive or something. I use WDTV-Live so they're all on my computer in .WAV format and I just stream them. Send me your flash drive and I'll put them on there for ya. Not sure how large it'd be with everything, but I can check that easily tonight and report back if anyone is interested. I've got:

Autosound 2000 Disc 101, 102 and 104
Focal Test Disc (can't remember which vol.)
Alan Parsons Setup Disc
B&W Very Audiophile New Recordings (Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone....is incredible on the e55ti's and in my car; one of my new favorite tracks)

...and a few others.

Transmaniacon -- No problem. Here ya go! And if you need any help or have any questions when you get all the stuff....don't hesitate to PM me.

Here's what I used:

12awg In-Wall (Monoprice) -- http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2
Sewell Deadbolt Plugs -- http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Fast-Lock-Technology/dp/B006U3O566
3/8" Techflex -- http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=082-332&utm_source=OrderShippedEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=OrderShipped-082-332&utm_campaign=OrderShipped-2012-12-07
1/2"-1/4" Heatshrink {over Techflex}
3/16"-3/32" Heatshrink {over 12awg}



You can purchase the Techflex on Amazon (3/8" fits PERFECTLY over the 12awg in-wall from Monoprice) and the heatshrink
post #1140 of 3176
Thanks! For the heatshrink, what did you use to heat it? I suppose a lighter might work alright? These look a lot like the Emotiva cables, for a heck of a lot less!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official EMP Owner's Thread**