or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official EMP Owner's Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 55

post #1621 of 3142
If it's port noise caused by a loose port then yes. If it's port noise cause by insufficient port area, then you could try adding larger ports (maybe even longer would work, though I believe this would change the tuning freq.). If you can/will, measure the diameter of the ports on the 1010i and post them. It might be worth it to upgrade to a more powerful sub if you're beginning to get chuffing, meaning you're moving a lot of air...more than the port can handle.

It might be worth posting this in the Subwoofer forum and seeing if anyone will help you through it. In your first post, post pics of the inside and underside to see ports.
Edited by ousooner2 - 5/6/13 at 2:23pm
post #1622 of 3142
Fixed! The seam where the side of the cabinet meets the front was leaking. EMP said to pull out the subs and apply silicone sealant around the sub opening where the two pieces meet. Sure enough when I pulled the sub out there was a significant gap. Applied the silicone to both sub openings. Noise is gone.
post #1623 of 3142
Don't put that sub back in there and use immediately. Most sealants have vapors that will deteriorate the sub. Granted it's ported....and most of the time that precaution is for sealed, but just saying.

Good news though! If it was that big of a leak you should notice quite a large difference in sound/output.
post #1624 of 3142
question to see if any one has tried this or if it would even be a good idea, I moved into a new place and I want to know if any one has tried to hang E55WI on the same wall as there E55Ti stand at, another words they would sit high for surround sound about 3 feet or so above the E55ti towers, the side walls for this room are about 16' to17' of space apart and I'm thinking that might be to far for this speakers to be any use as surrounds.

The third grade picture is the new room where my speakers sit now and where I'm looking at putting the E55WI speakers. If you think its a good idea or bad let me know.

post #1625 of 3142
^^ Haven't done this, but bump for you

I'm having a hard time debating whether to pick up 2 Klipsch rw-12d's or 2 es1010i's. Any thoughts? When it comes down to it, I just don't think I care enough right now to spend $1,000+ on a sub or subs. I feel like a pair of some of these decent budget subs will do just fine for me. The es1010i looks great and I know would look killer on either side of my new tv stand, but they don't seem to get very low or loud. I'm sure the rw-12d pair will do just fine for me. Anyone have them with the e55's...or just at all?
post #1626 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

question to see if any one has tried this or if it would even be a good idea, I moved into a new place and I want to know if any one has tried to hang E55WI on the same wall as there E55Ti stand at, another words they would sit high for surround sound about 3 feet or so above the E55ti towers, the side walls for this room are about 16' to17' of space apart and I'm thinking that might be to far for this speakers to be any use as surrounds.

The third grade picture is the new room where my speakers sit now and where I'm looking at putting the E55WI speakers. If you think its a good idea or bad let me know.


So you are trying to do height speakers? I'm not entirely clear what you are trying to do.

I have height speakers above my projector screen. Your receiver has to support it. I run 5 speakers up front and normal surrounds just in front of our couch. I like height and have emp on walls to replace my current polks. The install is a bit involved so I have not gotten them up yet.
post #1627 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

^^ Haven't done this, but bump for you

I'm having a hard time debating whether to pick up 2 Klipsch rw-12d's or 2 es1010i's. Any thoughts? When it comes down to it, I just don't think I care enough right now to spend $1,000+ on a sub or subs. I feel like a pair of some of these decent budget subs will do just fine for me. The es1010i looks great and I know would look killer on either side of my new tv stand, but they don't seem to get very low or loud. I'm sure the rw-12d pair will do just fine for me. Anyone have them with the e55's...or just at all?

What makes you think they don't get loud or low? My pair of 1010's slam and get plenty low. I'm talking, shakes the whole house and makes the glass on my windows sound like it's gonna break.

That said, I certainly wouldn't pay full price for them. If they ever go on a decent sale, I wouldn't hesitate.
post #1628 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

^^ Haven't done this, but bump for you

I'm having a hard time debating whether to pick up 2 Klipsch rw-12d's or 2 es1010i's. Any thoughts? When it comes down to it, I just don't think I care enough right now to spend $1,000+ on a sub or subs. I feel like a pair of some of these decent budget subs will do just fine for me. The es1010i looks great and I know would look killer on either side of my new tv stand, but they don't seem to get very low or loud. I'm sure the rw-12d pair will do just fine for me. Anyone have them with the e55's...or just at all?

To be honest with you. With the knowledge you have about how speakers perform, I would buy one well performing sub & after the baby comes & you get things in order, buy another one if you need it. You can get an Outlaw EX B stock for $599 shipped(same price as the 2 Klipsch) & I can't guarantee, but would bet that it would outperform sonically & would think it would be pretty close output wise. Here is another kinda diy option http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-kits-1/subwoofer-kits.html. That's just me. Regret is an expensive road to go down in this hobby.
post #1629 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

What makes you think they don't get loud or low? My pair of 1010's slam and get plenty low. I'm talking, shakes the whole house and makes the glass on my windows sound like it's gonna break.

That said, I certainly wouldn't pay full price for them. If they ever go on a decent sale, I wouldn't hesitate.



That's what gave me the initial "I don't know about this route". The in-room response Audioholics got from the 1010i isn't too bad though I guess (starts falling at about 27-28hz it looks like). I think the rw-12d can dig a little deeper though with the same SPL (21-22hz). The es1010i is 100x better looking though. Seems like the cabinet is too small for the pair of 10's. Have you ever tried to put some poly-fil in them and see if their lower end response changes for the better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

To be honest with you. With the knowledge you have about how speakers perform, I would buy one well performing sub & after the baby comes & you get things in order, buy another one if you need it. You can get an Outlaw EX B stock for $599 shipped(same price as the 2 Klipsch) & I can't guarantee, but would bet that it would outperform sonically & would think it would be pretty close output wise. Here is another kinda diy option http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-kits-1/subwoofer-kits.html. That's just me. Regret is an expensive road to go down in this hobby.

Haha yeah, I know what you mean. I know either one of these won't perform like what I've heard and expect. I'd definitely agree that 1 outlaw lfm-1ex would outperform or closely match SPL levels for a pair of the rw-12d's (and extend lower). It's also 2x as much though, so not really a fair game...but that'd be nice! biggrin.gif

That 2x price difference might be going into my insurance deductible though...thanks to this fantastic storm we got about a week ago. Roof is likely totaled (pretty much everyone on my street is), gutters are dented to hell, garage doors are dented and chipped up. Ugh. Sad to see my 7 month old house getting beat up eek.giffrown.gif I just love this state during storm season rolleyes.gif
Edited by ousooner2 - 5/15/13 at 7:26am
post #1630 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post



That's what gave me the initial "I don't know about this route". The in-room response Audioholics got from the 1010i isn't too bad though I guess (starts falling at about 27-28hz it looks like). I think the rw-12d can dig a little deeper though with the same SPL (21-22hz). The es1010i is 100x better looking though. Seems like the cabinet is too small for the pair of 10's. Have you ever tried to put some poly-fil in them and see if their lower end response changes for the better?
Haha yeah, I know what you mean. I know either one of these won't perform like what I've heard and expect. I'd definitely agree that 1 outlaw lfm-1ex would outperform or closely match SPL levels for a pair of the rw-12d's (and extend lower). It's also 2x as much though, so not really a fair game...but that'd be nice! biggrin.gif

That 2x price difference might be going into my insurance deductible though...thanks to this fantastic storm we got about a week ago. Roof is likely totaled (pretty much everyone on my street is), gutters are dented to hell, garage doors are dented and chipped up. Ugh. Sad to see my 7 month old house getting beat up eek.giffrown.gif I just love this state during storm season rolleyes.gif

I only mentioned the Outlaw because you said you are considering two of the Klipsch or EMP's. A pair of the Klipsch will be roughly be $600. Which is the same price as the Outlaw EX(B Stock).
post #1631 of 3142
The way my living room is setup, I'm in need of dual subs. They'll be on either side of the tv stand with the e55's outside of the subs. I'd definitely go with the LFM-1ex if I just needed one. I just don't think I want to spend $1,100-1,200 on subs right now. I know the logical thing would be to get one now, but not having symmetry would drive me nuts lol. I'm just not sure if I watch enough movies or listen to enough music to be critical enough to really fork up another $500-600 for a pair of lfm-1ex's. redface.gif
post #1632 of 3142
I understand.
post #1633 of 3142
Here is how I have the living room set up right now. You've seen the graphs I've posted & I've tightened everything up to +/-3dB. The only thing is I have about a -15dB dip at 40 Hz as a result of my room. I'm thinking of adding another sub to the opposite corner of where I have the one at now. I've been thinking about getting another Outlaw, but I'm like you, I don't want to drop another $600 on a sub right now. Not sure what to do.
post #1634 of 3142
I have both the Klipsch 10 inch Synergy and the rd-12 subs in different room of my house. While I cannot compare either to the output of the EMP 10i10i, I can tell you the Klipsch subs have plenty of output! I certainly considered the EMP sub, but it was not on sale at the time I have been ready to purchase...and if I am going to spend 500 on a sub, I will go the SVS or Outlaw route.
post #1635 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Here is how I have the living room set up right now. You've seen the graphs I've posted & I've tightened everything up to +/-3dB. The only thing is I have about a -15dB dip at 40 Hz as a result of my room. I'm thinking of adding another sub to the opposite corner of where I have the one at now. I've been thinking about getting another Outlaw, but I'm like you, I don't want to drop another $600 on a sub right now. Not sure what to do.

+/- 3 is great. Especially if that's into <200hz or so (though some like the bass a little hot like myself; I like to put it 3-5db's higher than everything 80hz-100hz and up)

So you have a huge suckout at 40hz huh. Have you verified this with a test tone (sine wave) and an spl meter? Didn't know if you just saw that by looking at what Audyssey did on your AVR's on-screen interface on the tv or if you used the spl/test tone method. Have you tried the sub in different places yet to see what happens around 40hz? Maybe move it to the inside of the speakers (on both right side and left side of the tv stand) or next to the couch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I have both the Klipsch 10 inch Synergy and the rd-12 subs in different room of my house. While I cannot compare either to the output of the EMP 10i10i, I can tell you the Klipsch subs have plenty of output! I certainly considered the EMP sub, but it was not on sale at the time I have been ready to purchase...and if I am going to spend 500 on a sub, I will go the SVS or Outlaw route.

Any idea what you're getting down to with the rw-12d? I've seen most claim around 23-24hz with useable SPL, but one guy claimed 19hz. 22-23hz would be great if you ask me. I know using multiple subs doesn't add extension, but it can certainly lower distortion and smoothen the response throughout the room so I'm hoping I can get some decent SQ out of a pair of either one of these and some good quick slam/punch/thuds.

Say the es1010i's were $299 also. I've helped EMP with a few things, had to replace a few things, etc so say that's what they are (hypothetically of course... wink.gif). The es1010i kills the rw-12d in aesthetics. Judging by the graphs I've seen, of course every room is different, but judging by that the rw-12d seems to dig deeper and play at a higher spl. Rw-12d has a stonger amp.
Edited by ousooner2 - 5/15/13 at 9:06am
post #1636 of 3142
Quote:
+/- 3 is great. Especially if that's into <200hz or so (though some like the bass a little hot like myself; I like to put it 3-5db's higher than everything 80hz-100hz and up)

So you have a huge suckout at 40hz huh. Have you verified this with a test tone (sine wave) and an spl meter? Didn't know if you just saw that by looking at what Audyssey did on your AVR's on-screen interface on the tv or if you used the spl/test tone method. Have you tried the sub in different places yet to see what happens around 40hz? Maybe move it to the inside of the speakers (on both right side and left side of the tv stand) or next to the couch?

Yea I've measured with REW & calibrated USM microphone. I moved the sub all along the front wall & it still produces a null at 40 Hz. I think it has to do with a room mode. I'm not going to bass traps due to WAF. So I figured maybe placing another sub in the opposite corner would help.
post #1637 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Any idea what you're getting down to with the rw-12d? I've seen most claim around 23-24hz with useable SPL, but one guy claimed 19hz. 22-23hz would be great if you ask me. I know using multiple subs doesn't add extension, but it can certainly lower distortion and smoothen the response throughout the room so I'm hoping I can get some decent SQ out of a pair of either one of these and some good quick slam/punch/thuds.

Have you seen this?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs
post #1638 of 3142
I haven't tested the subs in any ways, except for my ears...and they are way better than either my cheapo SLS or ML Dynamo 8 inch subs, in terms of getting low and output. The Synergy sub is more in your face and punchy, while the rd-12 is more subtle...
post #1639 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Yea I've measured with REW & calibrated USM microphone. I moved the sub all along the front wall & it still produces a null at 40 Hz. I think it has to do with a room mode. I'm not going to bass traps due to WAF. So I figured maybe placing another sub in the opposite corner would help.

Haha yeah. Have to love those long wavelengths right! lol. They're such a pain. I'm not sure what kind of bass panels are out there, but that's about the only thing you can do besides EQ'ing it up. That's a HUGE boost though. I definitely wouldn't do that much

Are you running any EQ?
Quote:

Yeah. Response looks pretty flat and goes down to about 22hz and maybe even a little more with room gain if I get lucky. My area is slightly bigger and open, but who knows how bass will behave in there. Should be interesting. The weird thing about those graphs is that he says he had his mains crossed at 100hz and the sub LFE at 120hz, but the response drops like a rock at 70hz. Literally falls off a table. Kind of scary response above 70hz unless I'm missing something

I wonder if anyone has ever put some poly-fil or other type of insulation in the rw-12d OR es1010i. I know the es1010i is definitely a little small for what it needs so that could be a nice benefit for a little more lower end and smoother response.
post #1640 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

That's what gave me the initial "I don't know about this route". The in-room response Audioholics got from the 1010i isn't too bad though I guess (starts falling at about 27-28hz it looks like). I think the rw-12d can dig a little deeper though with the same SPL (21-22hz). The es1010i is 100x better looking though. Seems like the cabinet is too small for the pair of 10's. Have you ever tried to put some poly-fil in them and see if their lower end response changes for the better?

I haven't tried Poly-Fil. I'd imagine it would help. I've had a ton of experience with car audio and Poly-Fil always helped in my sub-woofer enclosures. I've never tested just one ES1010, so I guess I can't really talk about the performance of a single. But, with two of them, they get really loud in my house. I think, obviously, larger woofers always tend to go deeper, so going with a 12" or bigger, will likely best the 1010 in low end. But, I have no complaints about these as far as SPL and bottom end, especially for what I paid for each of them (About $160 each).

The enclosures are also larger than one would think, over two feet tall and almost two feet deep. Obviously, they don't compare in size to the specialty sub-woofer companies out there. And like you said, the aesthetics are so nice, especially when pairing them with EMP Tek towers. My most honest, and unbiased conclusion, at the $499 asking price, the ES1010 is very overpriced, if you could get it for around $300, I'd say it's a great performer. The ES1010 at full price... I'd think a couple of the Klipsch would be a better deal and on par, performance-wise. In reality, even if the Klipsch went a little lower, I don't think the difference would be enough for someone to care, either way. But, like I said, if price is the biggest factor, at full MSRP, I'd go Klipsch. The ES1010's are just so damn sexy and really compliment the towers. LOL! cool.gif
post #1641 of 3142
$160/ea! Dang!! Nice used find


I forgot you had duals. Why don't you try some poly in them? You can even go to Wal-Mart (or even Target, etc) in their cloth/sewing area and pick up a bag of poly-fil. You don't want it densely stuff, but you don't want it extremely loose either. Pretty much like it comes is perfect. I think a bag (1lb) is about $4.

It'd be cool to buy a few bags (I usually say 1lb/cuft), stuff one sub enclosure and play a few test tones from 35hz and below and see if you hear any changes. If you have an SPL meter..even better! lol. Play some music or movies and see if you hear any difference. If you fill it with a few bags...I'd bet you'll hear a stronger low end a possibly a little smoother response as the enclosure will be acting like a larger enclosure. I know they're physically "large", but for the actual subwoofers and amp, it's not. They need to toss a larger amp on there.

A guy local to me has the RBH sx1212 and when you look at the 2 of them, they're really not a large difference. 12" vs 10" AND the es1010i looks better! Even he thinks so


http://www.parts-express.com/cat/cabinet-damping-material/311
post #1642 of 3142
I actually got mine brand new, from EMP Tek. I had ordered towers at full price and on about the 32nd day that I owned them, they had a huge sale on the towers for like $557 or something. I e-mailed them and asked if they'd refund me the difference since I was only at like, day 32. He said he wasn't able to, but that he'd give me two coupon codes for the difference to purchase something else from them. So I used them on two 1010s. The 1010's were on sale at the time too, so my coupon codes brought them down to about $160, each.
post #1643 of 3142
man I had to leave for a few days and came back and I lost my post! good to see this form hooping, anyways I'm trying to hang the E55WI speakers above those windows and I wanted to know if any one has tried that and if it seem to work ok?

OUSOONER right now I have two E1010i subs and I think they sound great for what I need them for, I guess its how much sub you want into your system and if its work picking up one pricey sub or 2 subs that IMO will do the job.
post #1644 of 3142
Right, but are you going to use them as l/r or height? I can't understand why you'd want to use something that is meant to diffuse sound as front speakers, they are meant to be surrounds. Do you have other speakers you are using for surrounds? If you want other on will speakers for there, get the ew25-35 like I have.
post #1645 of 3142
I'm assuming bitterwaste is talking about front height channels. If so, I'm not sure a "surround" speaker would be best. Not sure as I've never had OR looked into what's best to use for this type of channel, but maybe something like the e5bi would work better

Either way that's definitely fine to do as it's one of the speaker placements for a 9-channel setup

post #1646 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I'm assuming bitterwaste is talking about front height channels. If so, I'm not sure a "surround" speaker would be best. Not sure as I've never had OR looked into what's best to use for this type of channel, but maybe something like the e5bi would work better

Either way that's definitely fine to do as it's one of the speaker placements for a 9-channel setup



Correct but in this case its only a 5.2 setup so far and until I get more speakers. So in another words on a 5.2 system the two side speakers would be in front and high instead of on the side.
post #1647 of 3142
Does your amp understand height/wide? My Yamaha does either, but I have mine as height since I do not have a wide room. As stated, I think you have the wrong kind of speaker to put in that location.
post #1648 of 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Right, but are you going to use them as l/r or height? I can't understand why you'd want to use something that is meant to diffuse sound as front speakers, they are meant to be surrounds. Do you have other speakers you are using for surrounds? If you want other on will speakers for there, get the ew25-35 like I have.

Ok this was the original question, "question to see if any one has tried this or if it would even be a good idea, I moved into a new place and I want to know if any one has tried to hang E55WI on the same wall as there E55Ti stand at, another words they would sit high for surround sound about 3 feet or so above the E55ti towers, the side walls for this room are about 16' to17' of space apart and I'm thinking that might be to far for this speakers to be any use as surrounds."

it was a question to find out due to the amount of space between my side walls was about 16' to 17' if that would be to far of a gap for the E55WI to make a difference or hang them high? so that's why I created a picture with the two boxes over the windows if that would be a better option then the side walls, my current speakers sit 12' apart but how my room works is a bit odd.
post #1649 of 3142
yeah my Amp can do 2 high speakers on a 5.1 setup.
post #1650 of 3142
if your amp/AVR knows they're the height channels then you're fine. I would think a non-surround type speaker would work better in that application though. I dunno. Research definitely needed on that subject lol

The e5's might work, but they're rear ported. I didn't think that through when I purchased mine. I wish I would have purchased some different surrounds that were either sealed or front ported. Mine are angled at a 45" angle (have them about 8-9' off the ground) and have about 3", but still. I'm sure the height channels would need to be angled down at a 45 too, so maybe they'll be okay. Are the e55wi's rear ported or a sealed design?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official EMP Owner's Thread**