or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 96  

post #2851 of 4963
[quote=NateTTU;16582368]I'm not sure if people just say things like this without giving it much thought or truly mean what they say. QUOTE]

Are you serious? What reason would we have to lie? Just because we like lying? To create jealousy for people like you? I think not. How much thought does it take to look at the black bars during a movie? It may take you some serious effort and calculating, but for us it is quite simple.

I'm not sure YOU give much thought to what YOU say.
post #2852 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARQMAGE View Post

Wow! Thanx! I just ordered a Yamaha receiver and speakers for the KRP; I'm using a PS3 for games and a Denon for blu-ray and thats good to know..

I have a yamaha V1800 which I love, and before I updated the firmware, I was getting bad blacks when RGB setting was on "full." Since the update, no problem at all with the results from the "full" setting.




I have had no problems with black crush on any of my 4 HDMI devices with the kuro setting at auto;

Directv DVR HR21
Toshiba A35
PS3
Xbox 360

I haven't played a game yet on my PS3, as I play all my games on the xbox so I cannot vouch for that part of it, but with docmal's settings I've had no problems with gray menus or crushed blacks on blu-rays.
post #2853 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARQMAGE View Post

You don't need the break in disc. Copy different shades of reds, blues, greens and grays from the internet, after upscaling them to 1920 x 1280 (or more) with picture software, into a flash drive. If you have a PS3 or similar media hub, you can carousel the hues in a loop. Each hue will flash for a few seconds then change to another in the loop. Viola! Instant break-in. That's what I did; works like a charm...

Awesome! I will look into it. I would need to get this picture software, but it sounds like it should be worth it. Thanks.
post #2854 of 4963
hey guys, a little OT, but hoping you guys might know.

I'm shopping for a HDMI cable in preparation for a 600M. I need to run the cable in wall from the receiver up to the wall mounted TV. Looking at monoprice, the in-wall rated 22-24 gauge cable looks nice, but people are complaining they are hard to bend, i.e. very stiff.

Would I be ok with a 28g cable run in wall?
post #2855 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Awesome! I will look into it. I would need to get this picture software, but it sounds like it should be worth it. Thanks.

The Evangelos website where you can download the break-in disk also offers the option of downloading the color images you can put on a memory card or stick as needed and loop through your set. Just scroll down below the DVD downloads. http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm
post #2856 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

hey guys, a little OT, but hoping you guys might know.

I'm shopping for a HDMI cable in preparation for a 600M. I need to run the cable in wall from the receiver up to the wall mounted TV. Looking at monoprice, the in-wall rated 22-24 gauge cable looks nice, but people are complaining they are hard to bend, i.e. very stiff.

Would I be ok with a 28g cable run in wall?

Monoprice sells a right angle adapter so you won't have to bend it as much.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #2857 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

Monoprice sells a right angle adapter so you won't have to bend it as much.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Will I need 3-4 of those? figure there's a good 90 degree bend going up into the wall, and then coming out, and then to the TV. Is that the best solution?
post #2858 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post

bamboo, how old/new is your M?

It is one week old, everything else seems to work perfectly.just wish that i haven't seen it
post #2859 of 4963
I called pioneer support and they told me a stuck pixel would unstuck over time. Is this true?
post #2860 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Will I need 3-4 of those? figure there's a good 90 degree bend going up into the wall, and then coming out, and then to the TV. Is that the best solution?

That depends on how tight the turns you are making are. If you're using their wall plates then they have a flexible adapter to plug the cable into. So you shouldn't need any for that part at least.

The right angle adapters are cheap in any case.
post #2861 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo5354 View Post

I called pioneer support and they told me a stuck would unstuck over time. Is this true?
Anyone else have stuck pixel on their 500 or 600M?

no guarantee but it's possible.

try running the breakin dvd or a pixar movie dvd for awhile, that has worked for a few avsers with stuck pixels on their pioneer panels.
post #2862 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmal View Post

The proper settings for kuro and ps3 are:
Kuro: Auto
Ps3:
ColorSpace: Auto
RGB: Full
SuperWhite: On

Why?
When the PS3 is set to auto it uses the colorspace of the source, which for 99.9% of movies is YpbCbPrCr. The PS3 menu, interface and games use RGB (PC standard).

Setting the RGB to full allows the PS3 to output 0-255 levels of RGB which is the PC standard and offers the best performance. This is only displayed when the PS3 is outputing RGB (menu and games).

Setting SuperWhite to on allows Whiter than White to be displayed when a YpbCbPrCr source is output. This will display very brite white highlights in your movies. You will also notice that when the PS3 is outputting YpbCbPrCr that you will be able to see Blacker than Black.

Setting the Kuro to auto will automatically switch between modes it senses. This is a good thing except for some reason it does not sense limited RGB and will not switch. That's why it is important to make sure your PS3 is outputing Full RGB when in RGB mode. Also, it is important to know if the signal from your PS3 is being clipped by your receiver. Yamaha receivers prior to this years models clip RGB down to limited range no matter what (there is a firmware fix for last years models).

Thank you.

That was an extremely helpful and useful post.

I originally had the PS3 set to output DVD/BD content to RGB, but now I changed it to Auto. And on my 500M I was using RGB 0-255... now it's on Auto.

Now I have a question I've been trying to figure out:

If movies were encoded in the component colorspace, what is the logical reason why Sony included an option to select RGB in the PS3 menu when playing DVDs/BDs? I mean, would there be any instance at all where it would be the correct thing to do to select RGB in the PS3 XMB for watching DVD or Blu-ray?
post #2863 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Will I need 3-4 of those? ... Is that the best solution?

Probably not. I'd suggest wall plates and standard cables. Putting a 90 degree on the panel defeats the purpose of vertical cable access for wall mounting but I suppose that depends on your exact configuration. You can also get 26g in-wall. Since the stuff is relatively inexpensive I'd get some of everything (well just short cables to test flex) and see what works best.
post #2864 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Incorrect.


KRP
  • RGB 16-235

PS3
  • Colorspace: RGB
  • RGB: Limited
  • Superwhite: On

Please someone confirm for me...
I have an PS3 and BDP-83 hdmi to my SC-05 hdmi to my 500m
I should watch Blurays on my Oppo
I should play games on my PS3
THEN I do not have to change any settings.

IF I wanted to watch Blurays on my PS3, Then I do the above settings.

sorry, I'm just a noob, I only have my setup up for an week...
post #2865 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

I mean, would there be any instance at all where it would be the correct thing to do to select RGB in the PS3 XMB for watching DVD or Blu-ray?

Sure -- if the display only does RGB or has trouble with non-RGB inputs.
post #2866 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Probably not. I'd suggest wall plates and standard cables. Putting a 90 degree on the panel defeats the purpose of vertical cable access for wall mounting but I suppose that depends on your exact configuration. You can also get 26g in-wall. Since the stuff is relatively inexpensive I'd get some of everything (well just short cables to test flex) and see what works best.

Found the wall plates and they will do just fine. Thanks guys. Man, I have $50 worth of cat5e and hdmi cables on the way. All sorts of colors, lengths, etc. Fun, fun.
post #2867 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

no guarantee but it's possible.

try running the breakin dvd or a pixar movie dvd for awhile, that has worked for a few avsers with stuck pixels on their pioneer panels.

Could a stuck pixel just appear? I think it wasn't there before.
post #2868 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo5354 View Post

Anyone else have stuck pixel on their 500 or 600M?

There were two repsonses already. Are you reading the thread?
post #2869 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Sure -- if the display only does RGB or has trouble with non-RGB inputs.

Ah, I get it... Computer monitors.
post #2870 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

I'm shopping for a HDMI cable in preparation for a 600M. I need to run the cable in wall from the receiver up to the wall mounted TV. Looking at monoprice, the in-wall rated 22-24 gauge cable looks nice, but people are complaining they are hard to bend, i.e. very stiff.

Would I be ok with a 28g cable run in wall?

I just installed some "Series-F2" HDMI cables from Blue Jeans Cable (a forum sponsor) for my 600M. I got them long enough (8') to go directly from my source devices to my 600M through the wall with a couple feet of slack. Works great and is fairly flexible.

And as others have said, I would avoid using extra connectors/junctions if at all possible. HDMI is problematic enough without adding more places for the stupid connectors to fall out, etc.

Casey
post #2871 of 4963
I know that it's my job to dive through the myriad of parameter combinations to figure this out but I figured I'd ask for a bit of direction before engaging in a search through the parameter space.

I've just received and successfully installed a Pioneer KRP-600M and an Oppo BDP-83 BluRay player. I've got the 600M on "auto" for its color space setting and the Oppo on YCbCr 4:2:2 for output. This seems to be working fine for the few BluRays I've watched (in between running the break in disc) but I'm getting a very significant amount of "black crush" when I watch Standard Definition DVDs. This could be a KRP-600M issue or an Oppo BDP-83 issue (and thus I'm being forced to dual-post this note, sorry).

My first thought is to change the Oppo to send YCbCr 4:4:4 (which I think it does when set to "auto"). Thoughts?

Casey
post #2872 of 4963
Anytime you change the type of output from a player and notice a change you should recheck your display calibration. Pop in the Spears and Musil disc and check black level and contrast. You're not the only person to mention "something" happening when using 4:2:2 into a Kuro from the BDP-83. Unfortunately the Kuros give no clue of what type of video input they are getting except for resolution/size. It is possible that the -83 may be doing something wrong, but there's been no indication of issues with other displays using YCbCr 4:2:2. Using YCbCr 4:4:4 has no drawbacks if you don't want to dig any deeper with the issue.

larry
post #2873 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Are you serious? What reason would we have to lie? Just because we like lying? To create jealousy for people like you? I think not. How much thought does it take to look at the black bars during a movie? It may take you some serious effort and calculating, but for us it is quite simple.

I'm not sure YOU give much thought to what YOU say.

There is a reason why I didn't say lie in my post, but I guess someone will always find a reason to complain.

I asked him to clarify his statement on this thread as many posts may spur from excited people receiving a great new TV and they have their right. I asked that question so he would think about the issue just a little more before posting a response. He didn't seem to have an issue answering my question and I believe in his honest response.
post #2874 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

hey guys, a little OT, but hoping you guys might know.

I'm shopping for a HDMI cable in preparation for a 600M. I need to run the cable in wall from the receiver up to the wall mounted TV. Looking at monoprice, the in-wall rated 22-24 gauge cable looks nice, but people are complaining they are hard to bend, i.e. very stiff.

Would I be ok with a 28g cable run in wall?

With my recent 141 wall installation, I would not recommend the right angle adapters. I ordered two of the swiveling type and did not use them. I ended up using MP's 24 Ga flat cable, and they worked perfectly. Very easy to make the u-turn from the rear panel connection up to the wall scoop (opening) above.

I agree with others to use a continuous cable from source to display, and not to use wall plates if possible. With two wall plates and three HDMI cables, I was experiencing dropouts on my old 55" Hitachi. For my new Kuro, I installed two of the flat cables, both a single length from source to TV. No dropouts noticed...

Good luck!
post #2875 of 4963
Bad news guys the unit had 2 big hairline like cracks barely visible but a long crack top right from right to left along the rim of the bazel and another crack just below it.MOFOS i hope i get my money back soon.It was bought from Abe`s of Main delivery company ICAT logistic.
I decided not to buy a pioneer purely for this reason again.I waited 10 days paid alot of money,tipped the driver 20usd,now i have no TV or money.I think i will pop into best buy.What a bad experience that was unfortunately.Either Pioneer have lost their minds or something,not designing a suitable box or packaging.It jsut cost them a few hundred grand,maybe millions who knows.
post #2876 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedom View Post

My first thought is to change the Oppo to send YCbCr 4:4:4 (which I think it does when set to "auto"). Thoughts?

Because I like to know such things I'd iterate over the 8 input formats and find out which of them look right with each source type (HD, SD, upscaled SD). My Oppo DVD player could be a bit finicky at times when it was talking to my VP which, unlike my old display, has many format choices. It's true the Kuro won't just tell you but the search space is small.

Normally I would blame the early release firmware but the KRPs have known and presumably unknown issues with input formats.
post #2877 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

.......It was bought from Abe`s of Main delivery company ICAT logistic.

That might have been your first mistake. Not exactly a stellar reputation, those guys. And they're not an authorized dealer either, so you would be on your own if warranty issues ever come up later on.

I know it's tempting to resist when they come in with the best online price. Most of the time, chances are a purchase from them will go just fine, but I personally would never risk it on a big ticket item like this one. Hope everything works out the way you want.

btw, I don't think there have been many 50" models that have been delivered cracked, it's mostly been the 60" models. Maybe Abe's can only offer (what I assume to be) the best price by using a cheaper, less professional delivery company, thus increasing the chance of mishandling along the way? possible cause and effect there, etc. Good luck.
post #2878 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I know it's tempting to resist when they come in with the best online price. Most of the time, chances are a purchase from them will go just fine, but I personally would never risk it on a big ticket item like this one. Hope everything works out the way you want.

btw, I don't think there have been many 50" models that have been delivered cracked, it's mostly been the 60" models. Maybe Abe's can only offer (what I assume to be) the best price by using a cheaper, less professional delivery company, thus increasing the chance of mishandling along the way? possible cause and effect there, etc. Good luck.

There is definitely something to be said for this. I could have paid less for my 600M, but the prospect of getting it hand delivered by an installer from Value Electronics vs "Who knows how careful we are?" shipping company, was too good to pass up.
post #2879 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

That might have been your first mistake. Not exactly a stellar reputation, those guys. And they're not an authorized dealer either, so you would be on your own if warranty issues ever come up later on.

I know it's tempting to resist when they come in with the best online price. Most of the time, chances are a purchase from them will go just fine, but I personally would never risk it on a big ticket item like this one. Hope everything works out the way you want.

btw, I don't think there have been many 50" models that have been delivered cracked, it's mostly been the 60" models. Maybe Abe's can only offer (what I assume to be) the best price by using a cheaper, less professional delivery company, thus increasing the chance of mishandling along the way? possible cause and effect there, etc. Good luck.

9 out of the 40 500ms reported on the tracking thread have arrived cracked. Not as bad as the 600m, but 22.5% is still a disaster compared to other manufacturers and even other Pioneer models. Pioneer really skimped on the packaging with these.

I agree that I wouldn't take a chance with Abes of Maine, but not because of warranty coverage (I haven't heard anything about Pioneer refusing warranty coverage). The real gamble is how Abes would handle a cracked shipment (which has nothing to do with the manufacturer's warranty).
post #2880 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

There is a reason why I didn't say lie in my post, but I guess someone will always find a reason to complain.

I asked him to clarify his statement on this thread as many posts may spur from excited people receiving a great new TV and they have their right. I asked that question so he would think about the issue just a little more before posting a response. He didn't seem to have an issue answering my question and I believe in his honest response.

After spending (wasting?) a lot of time calibrating using test patterns on the 500M, I can tell you - no BS - these display's black levels are very dark. When I have the 0% (reference black) pattern up on the display in a completely dark room and my eyes have adjusted, it has a very faint glow (yes, it is distinguishable from the bezel). Perception being what it is, as I view brighter window patterns, it becomes difficult to distinguish the black level from the bezel, even though the black level is unchanged.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread