or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cih subtitle master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cih subtitle master thread - Page 6

post #151 of 354
Region B Australia has subs in the picture (for indigenous Australian dialogues).
post #152 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodown View Post

Tell No One (great PQ IMHO) English subs in picture
Cheers,

Jumped the gun on this one. First line of subs is in the picture, if a second line it is out of the picture
post #153 of 354
TAKEN has subtitles IN the picture.
post #154 of 354
Gran Torino and The International both have a few subs outside the picture (half in half out)
post #155 of 354
Jakie Chan movie The Myth blu-ray has subtitles within the frame. It has Chinese and English audio streams.
post #156 of 354
Just wanted to know how many subtitles there are in Gran tourino? Alot or just a few.Don't really want to watch if theres alot, a few I could deal with but would hate to miss out on important subs. Thanks Jim
post #157 of 354
True Lies (DVD) and Team America (DVD) both have STs in the picture.
post #158 of 354
The Incredibles (DVD) has STs in the picture. Is this title on BD yet?
post #159 of 354
Seven Pounds has STs half in and half out the picture
post #160 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

The Incredibles (DVD) has STs in the picture. Is this title on BD yet?

No (hopefully soon)
post #161 of 354
Boy, no action in this thread lately.

10,000 BC has subs IN the picture (Warner Bros.).

Anybody watch WATCHMEN? I was curious (before I buy it) if there are subtitles?
post #162 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Anybody watch WATCHMEN? I was curious (before I buy it) if there are subtitles?

I watched it on BD, and I don't think it had any subtitles.
post #163 of 354
^ Thanks! (I don't want any surprises when I have friends over for a 3 hour movie)
post #164 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

10,000 BC has subs IN the picture (Warner Bros.).

That's a first. Are the subtitles burned-in to the print, or are they electronically-generated?
post #165 of 354
^
I was surprised too (because it was a Warner release).
I believe they were burned-in the print (they didn't have that electronic look).
post #166 of 354
Max Manus: Man of War (UK Import)...subtitles are half in - half out of the picture
post #167 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

^
I was surprised too (because it was a Warner release).
I believe they were burned-in the print (they didn't have that electronic look).

Can you turn the subtitles off, or switch to another language during the subtitled scenes?
post #168 of 354
Please add ROCK N ROLLER [BD region B] to the list of subtitles IN the picture.
post #169 of 354
Transporter 3 on BD [b] also has STs in the picture.
post #170 of 354
36 Quai des Orfèvres (Department 36) - French import

Great movie; but another title with English subs out of the picture
post #171 of 354
Thread Starter 
Been out of commission for a while!! The list is now updated.
post #172 of 354
Quote:
Rock N Roller (REGION B) BD

This title is in the NOT IN PICTURE list and needs to be added to the IN PICTURE list. I own the Region B version and the STs are well and truely in the active picture.
post #173 of 354
BRAVEHEART BD has subs IN the picture.
post #174 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

but I believe that BD titles are going to be the same regardless of player as this is an authoring issue and players are not capable of relocating subs.

Quote taken from first post...

I have a few questions that some of you might know. I'm planning to go CIH and just want to get a feel for what I'm up against. I don't normally watch films with subtitles, unless they are required in an English release (the reason for this thread).

1. How are subtitles handled in Blu-Ray? Are they always authored directly in the video file itself? Or are they all a separate file that is 'overlayed' on top of the video? Or can it be either (if so, which is most common)??

2. I am using a HTPC for all my blu-ray watching (ripped to mkv+flac). I thought that at least some, if not most, of blu-rays had subtitles as a separate file and were 'overlayed' because there is a section in the mkv+flac guide on how to rip and handle a separate subtitle file. Anyways, I'm just confused here because if players didn't dictate where the subtitles were located...then how can there be different vertical placement of subtitles (some in movie and some below)?? Maybe subtitles that are a separate file and overlayed are always displayed at the bottom (in black bar) and subtitles that are authored in the actual video file would obviously be higher in the video part.

Sorry if this post is confusing, I'm just trying to figure out how the subtitles work in BD. Also wondering if ripping to mkv gives any kind of advantage (maybe its possible to raise up subtitles vertically into the video if they are a separate video file during the rip process??)??
post #175 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn4burton View Post

1. How are subtitles handled in Blu-Ray? Are they always authored directly in the video file itself? Or are they all a separate file that is 'overlayed' on top of the video? Or can it be either (if so, which is most common)??

Both. Some are hard coded into the video, others are kept in a PGS track (Presentation Graphics Stream).

Quote:
2. I am using a HTPC for all my blu-ray watching (ripped to mkv+flac). I thought that at least some, if not most, of blu-rays had subtitles as a separate file and were 'overlayed' because there is a section in the mkv+flac guide on how to rip and handle a separate subtitle file. Anyways, I'm just confused here because if players didn't dictate where the subtitles were located...then how can there be different vertical placement of subtitles (some in movie and some below)?? Maybe subtitles that are a separate file and overlayed are always displayed at the bottom (in black bar) and subtitles that are authored in the actual video file would obviously be higher in the video part.

Sorry if this post is confusing, I'm just trying to figure out how the subtitles work in BD. Also wondering if ripping to mkv gives any kind of advantage (maybe its possible to raise up subtitles vertically into the video if they are a separate video file during the rip process??)??

I have an HTPC too, and that's what I've done. Use a utility to convert the PGS track to an SRT file, which can then be played back so that the subtitles are within the picture image for those of us with a CIH setup.
post #176 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

I have an HTPC too, and that's what I've done. Use a utility to convert the PGS track to an SRT file, which can then be played back so that the subtitles are within the picture image for those of us with a CIH setup.

Cool. Anymore info or a link to where I can find details how to accomplish this??
post #177 of 354
Bob, I think you found your answer over on the HTPC forum, no? If not, let me know.
post #178 of 354
Thread Starter 
Are any of you interested in taking this thread over? I am a bit pre-occupied with a pesky health problem and I don't make online as often. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will find out how to give you the access to have control over the editing of the first post to add titles, etc.

Thanks folks
post #179 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Are any of you interested in taking this thread over? I am a bit pre-occupied with a pesky health problem and I don't make online as often. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will find out how to give you the access to have control over the editing of the first post to add titles, etc.

Thanks folks

PM sent
post #180 of 354
Drag Me to Hell Blu-ray. Has a few scenes with foreign dialogue (some Gypsy dialect). Subtitles are CIH safe (Universal release).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cih subtitle master thread