or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cih subtitle master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cih subtitle master thread - Page 12

post #331 of 354
hi
thanks for the answer
indeed seems it can only be done when at the source, before outputting the image.
kaleidescape seems to now allow it for dvd (don't know for blu ray)
oppo
philips
post #332 of 354
All BD player will shift the STs for DVDs up by about 10% and why the Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings films suddenly became watchable on a CIH system.

BD does not use a bit map for STs like DVD.
post #333 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

All BD player will shift the STs for DVDs up by about 10% and why the Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings films suddenly became watchable on a CIH system.

The shift that you're talking about on DVD is the result of changing the player's output resolution from non-anamorphic letterbox downconverstion to regular anamorphic widescreen. Very few DVD players offer manually adjustable subtitle positioning.
post #334 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The shift that you're talking about on DVD is the result of changing the player's output resolution from non-anamorphic letterbox downconverstion to regular anamorphic widescreen. Very few DVD players offer manually adjustable subtitle positioning.

The Samsung HD950 didn't actually shift the STs. It simply VS'd the image behind the bitmap.

I am not really sure how or why the BD player moves the STs on a DVD up. All I know is that the STs are a bit map over the top of the image and therefore are separate to the image. I tested at least 10 different players including the PS3 and they all did the same thing for the same discs.

I was just joyed that I could now read the STs on films that previously I could not. Ever since owning my first BDP, the player had been set to 1080/24P. I've never bothered to play DVDs at a lower player resolution as the only reason I would even watch a DVD is if a film (like Star Wars) is not available on BD.

Anyway, I watched THE AMERICAN (region B) last night. STs are close to the bottom bar but are not clipped. I also noticed Universal has also made the menu CIH safe by placing black bars top and bottom of the menu as well as the feature.
post #335 of 354
Resident Evil 4: Afterlife has forced subtitles and they are CIH safe. They appear inside the 2.40 area.
post #336 of 354
LORD OF THE RINGS [BD - B] has ST in the black bars the same as the previous DVDs. You'd think by 2011, they have this sorted.
post #337 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

LORD OF THE RINGS [BD - B] has ST in the black bars the same as the previous DVDs. You'd think by 2011, they have this sorted.

Unfortunately there not thinking of CIH members and why would they we are a minority.

Lucky Philips and Oppo understand our needs.
post #338 of 354
Now that I am going through all my movies to see which films have subs outside the active area, I have a silly question...

Has any Blu-ray been authored that had hard-coded (burned in to the video track) subs that were outside the active area?

I would think this would be the ultimate insult but since there are Blu-rays that have burned-in subs it seems like a possibility.
post #339 of 354
Not a silly question at all and one I never really gave thought too. It appears I an shift all ST except RAMBO (which is CIH safe anyway) in my collection.
post #340 of 354
Got my box set of STAR WARS today. Good news is they (at least A NEW HOPE) is CIH safe with the STs appearing as they did in the cinema.
post #341 of 354
I thought they were a little high on ANH specially for Greedo.
post #342 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I thought they were a little high on ANH specially for Greedo.

I actually prefer them there as at least I am still watching the image and not just reading a line of text.
post #343 of 354
First thing I did was move them closer to the bottom border.
post #344 of 354
TPM and ROTJ are both CIH safe.
post #345 of 354
X-Men: First Class has a few lines of subtitled dialogue. The Blu-ray is CIH safe.

Fox continues to make the annoying choice of placing some subtitles at the top of the screen and others at the bottom. (The movie did not do this theatrically, as far as I recall.) In this case, they're all inside the movie image, fortunately.
post #346 of 354
Anybody know if the forced subs on MI4: Ghost Protocol are CIH safe?
post #347 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Anybody know if the forced subs on MI4: Ghost Protocol are CIH safe?

Yes, they are CIH safe. Actually, they are a bit too high for my taste so I lowered them a bit.
post #348 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Yes, they are CIH safe. Actually, they are a bit too high for my taste so I lowered them a bit.

Even though players like the OPPO and PHILLIPS have made this thread redundant, it is good to see members still contributing here for those that do not have players that shift STs into the picture area for CIH.
post #349 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Even though players like the OPPO and PHILLIPS have made this thread redundant, it is good to see members still contributing here for those that do not have players that shift STs into the picture area for CIH.

Those players are a must have if your doing CIH. Nothing is more frustrating than not understanding what's going on because subtitles are not seen.
post #350 of 354
The Divide has subtitlles in the picture
post #351 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Those players are a must have if your doing CIH. Nothing is more frustrating than not understanding what's going on because subtitles are not seen.

Or worse, going back to 16:9 Letterbox mode just so you can read the STs
post #352 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Or worse, going back to 16:9 Letterbox mode just so you can read the STs

Definitely don't want to be doing that.
post #353 of 354
"This Means War" has 7 forced subs in its own track (labeled). Those and full subs not scope friendly.
post #354 of 354
The Danish version of The Hunter (Willem Dafoe) has both subtitle lines outside the picture
And the picture also seemed a bit squeezed, maybe from 2.35:1 til 2.4 aspect ratio
A shame as PQ was above average
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Cih subtitle master thread