To add to my above comments, wanted to provide some additional feedback:
Originally Posted by huntrm
Got mine hooked up this AM after ordering it late yesterday. Installer came in and put the unit in place. Biggest issue he had was trying to get the box to recognize the remote. He had to get on the phone to see what was going on.My initial impressions (will post more when I spend more time watching it):
- The UI is snappy; very responsive - faster than my 622
- Configuration/setup was a snap
- Sling setup is bit "cumbersome" on Dish's Remote Access (dish.sling.com). I really don't like the web-based UI so much. Am wondering if there's a way to get the older software, install it on my PC (am hearing the newer software won't work)
- However, I'm impressed with the picture and sound quality of the Sling access - working flawlessly here in my local home network (HD included)
- I don't have experience with the 722 series, so therefore, take this with grain of 'salt. The more I use this, the more I truly enjoy it. Am just now discovering the Sling support, and think it's fairly cool.
- On Sling, here's what I like:
1) The iPhone App worked really well over 3G. Found myself using it for first time yesterday while waiting to pick someone up. Enjoyed having this feature on my phone. No lag, pcture quality was decent enough to not complain.
2) Someone posted a link in a another forum for an older version of Sling Software V126.96.36.1998. I downloaded this, and find it superior to the web-based version of Dish Remote for Sling. Here's the link
The software installed (don't let it update!) and instantly found the VIP922 over my home network (not sure how it will find the VIP922 remotely - any experiences out there?).
The good thing about using it this way is that the browser memory isn't chewed up on one's PC (using firefox). I find that my PC runs quieter, better when not using the browser software.
Besides that, the UI continues to be solid, fast when navigating/using the box.
Few issues that need bit more examination:
- In my HT cabinet, notice there's more 'heat - definitely the VIP922; not sure if it runs cooler than my VIP622.
- I need to look at this again, but swear that the recordings weren't of the same quality as when watching live. Anyone have this observation? I'm watching on a 100in screen, 12 feet away. Again, this needs more 'digging on my part (could just be me).