or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › My sony XBR960 blinked 6/7 times, went to shop came back and blinks 3 times now....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My sony XBR960 blinked 6/7 times, went to shop came back and blinks 3 times now....

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
(I live in Clackamas OR). Recently my Sony KD-34XBR960 took a nose dive and would not come on. 6-7 blink codes.

I had a tech come to my house. (Rick with Accelerated repair) and he took a look at my TV, determined it would need a flyback and it would cost $200 total in repairs. I agreed and he said it would be done in next friday. HE also offered to sell me 32" tv that he said was smilar. I said "they don't make a 32" in this model only 30,34, and 36". He was confused that I stated that.

A week went by and I finally called to see what the hold up on my set was...This time he said it would need more parts and needed to revise the estimate to around 300. I agreed. Then 2 weeks went by and he said 400-500 to replace the D board, I was irate and said no. I ended talking to his wife (the manager) and she said they could try to find a refurb board from a place and bring the price down to 350$ or so. I gave them another week. that never happend.

5 weeks gone by, Rick calls, says he can deliver the tv tuesday between 3-4. he calls close to 4 saying sometime between 6-9. and its nearly 9 before he shoes up. He brings the tv in, the back is held on with 2 screw, aaudio wires sticking out of the back theare disconnected. I asked what was going on, I am missing like 10 screws on the back. he said different people worked on it in the shop, and what not, he took the he never really told me what happend to the shop. He took it apart, deguassing cables are undone, I see a ziplock bag of screw he didn't even notice!

He put the tv back together from what I can tell, while I watched and madwe sure he didn't have any extra parts of forgot anything! during this fiasco Rick Offered to sell me the 32" tv for under 200$ to make it up to me. I asked does it have hdmi? does it have cable card? he didn't know, but said his he wife could give me the model number. then after the tv got all buttoned up, he said he had to get something from his van, then drove off, slowly. very abruptly. I called him. no answer.

I am not sure what happened to my tv, maybe it sat on the bench, I only assume two ic's were replaced and the tech gave up and tried to sell me a board. the only thing I know, is the the serial number on the back is the same as the one I had before.

But Now the tv gives me 3 blinks!?

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Any better repair shops in the Portland area?
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanManMain View Post

(I live in Clackamas OR). Recently my Sony KD-34XBR960 took a nose dive and would not come on. 6-7 blink codes.

I had a tech come to my house. (Rick with Accelerated repair) and he took a look at my TV, determined it would need a flyback and it would cost $200 total in repairs. I agreed and he said it would be done in next friday. HE also offered to sell me 32" tv that he said was smilar. I said "they don't make a 32" in this model only 30,34, and 36". He was confused that I stated that.

A week went by and I finally called to see what the hold up on my set was...This time he said it would need more parts and needed to revise the estimate to around 300. I agreed. Then 2 weeks went by and he said 400-500 to replace the D board, I was irate and said no. I ended talking to his wife (the manager) and she said they could try to find a refurb board from a place and bring the price down to 350$ or so. I gave them another week. that never happend.

5 weeks gone by, Rick calls, says he can deliver the tv tuesday between 3-4. he calls close to 4 saying sometime between 6-9. and its nearly 9 before he shoes up. He brings the tv in, the back is held on with 2 screw, aaudio wires sticking out of the back theare disconnected. I asked what was going on, I am missing like 10 screws on the back. he said different people worked on it in the shop, and what not, he took the he never really told me what happend to the shop. He took it apart, deguassing cables are undone, I see a ziplock bag of screw he didn't even notice!

He put the tv back together from what I can tell, while I watched and madwe sure he didn't have any extra parts of forgot anything! during this fiasco Rick Offered to sell me the 32" tv for under 200$ to make it up to me. I asked does it have hdmi? does it have cable card? he didn't know, but said his he wife could give me the model number. then after the tv got all buttoned up, he said he had to get something from his van, then drove off, slowly. very abruptly. I called him. no answer.

I am not sure what happened to my tv, maybe it sat on the bench, I only assume two ic's were replaced and the tech gave up and tried to sell me a board. the only thing I know, is the the serial number on the back is the same as the one I had before.

But Now the tv gives me 3 blinks!?

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Any better repair shops in the Portland area?


so you ended up paying the $300? how much did you pay that ripoff?

I'd wait for the big sales push during super bowl week and buy a new flat panel.

even tho the XBR960 is the best Sony tube ever made it's not worth dumping $300 or more into not now when you can get a 50" plasma for $900 and it will be even less in the next few months.
besides SD on a 34" without stretch mode is a paltry 27.7".
SD on a 50" without stretch mode is 40.8".
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I paid the non refundable $50 upfront, he said it would go towards the repair. I really liked the XBR960. I thought I scored it for $400.

I admit I've looked at the sales on the new plasma's. but I love CRT's... I got some time to think. I have a tax return coming. I don't wanna scrap this tv if its less than $100 in parts. I just wish I could find a person that knows how to repair. not remove and replace components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy36XBR800 View Post

so you ended up paying the $300? how much did you pay that ripoff?

I'd wait for the big sales push during super bowl week and buy a new flat panel.

even tho the XBR960 is the best Sony tube ever made it's not worth dumping $300 or more into not now when you can get a 50" plasma for $900 and it will be even less in the next few months.
besides SD on a 34" without stretch mode is a paltry 27.7".
SD on a 50" without stretch mode is 40.8".
post #4 of 8
3 blinks (1 set of them) after you hear the degauss hum is what my 34HS510 did after the MCZ3001DB were changed (by someone else) and not connected properly. They are now, I get 6 blinks, repeating (need warmer garage to work on it). I suspect the ICs are missing or improperly installed (solder trace trouble).
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdre View Post

3 blinks (1 set of them) after you hear the degauss hum is what my 34HS510 did after the MCZ3001DB were changed (by someone else) and not connected properly. They are now, I get 6 blinks, repeating (need warmer garage to work on it). I suspect the ICs are missing or improperly installed (solder trace trouble).

replace ic 6505 D board.
post #6 of 8
I now get 6 blinks, but will check that part related to 3 blinks. It's the error amplifier IC.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdre View Post

I now get 6 blinks, but will check that part related to 3 blinks. It's the error amplifier IC.

ic 504 A board maybe faulty too
post #8 of 8
Yes, 5v regulator. Hopefully, I will be able to measure some voltages on my TV chassis this week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › My sony XBR960 blinked 6/7 times, went to shop came back and blinks 3 times now....