or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Friend is purchasing his first HDTV. Has 850 dollars to spend. Please help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friend is purchasing his first HDTV. Has 850 dollars to spend. Please help?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
A buddy of mine wants to purchase his first HDTV. He'll be gaming and watching a bunch of movies and sports. This HDTV will be going into his living room which has controlled lighting so a 42+ inch unit would be great. The most he wants to spend is 850 bucks after California taxes (8.25 percent) and shipping. An HDTV 1080p would be great but a great looking 720p set would not be a deal breaker. Opinions wanted!
post #2 of 36
Check out US-Appliance.com (good deals and free shipping)
Info on US-Appliance, read here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=15599938
post #3 of 36
My advice? Save some more money and buy a little later. If he can go another 1-3 months, that's what I'd do.
post #4 of 36
I bought a used Mits. WS-65813 in excellent condition from Craigslist for $600.00. It has 9" guns and smokes most displays after calibration.
post #5 of 36
If you go HERE thats about the best deal you will find. Its 720p and I dont think you will find a 1080p display for the price he wants.
post #6 of 36
panny px80 series is his only real choice for size and display quality at that price point.
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

If you go HERE thats about the best deal you will find. Its 720p and I dont think you will find a 1080p display for the price he wants.

That is an excellent deal. Good news: Resellerratings.com gives US Appliance an 8/10. Bad news: Their rating is based on only 5 reviews.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by uminchu View Post

That is an excellent deal. Good news: Resellerratings.com gives US Appliance an 8/10. Bad news: Their rating is based on only 5 reviews.

They are part of a B&M store chain based in Michigan. They are a reputable company.
post #9 of 36
I agree with solo, squirrel away $50 or $100 a month for the next couple of months or until the new lines come out in I think march through may and 1) You'll get a better deal and 2) you'll get a better set.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

I agree with solo, squirrel away $50 or $100 a month for the next couple of months or until the new lines come out in I think march through may and 1) You'll get a better deal and 2) you'll get a better set.

First off the new models will be closer to MSRP and yes it might be an improvement over the current generation but there is no way in hell you will find a new model for that price point. Maybe a 3rd tier manufacturers model but not a Panasonic.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

First off the new models will be closer to MSRP and yes it might be an improvement over the current generation but there is no way in hell you will find a new model for that price point. Maybe a 3rd tier manufacturers model but not a Panasonic.

I was referring to getting last years models at a lower cost once the new ones rolled out. If he can save $50 a month until May that's $1100 he'll have. If he can throw in $100 a month that $1300.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

I was referring to getting last years models at a lower cost once the new ones rolled out. If he can save $50 a month until May that's $1100 he'll have. If he can throw in $100 a month that $1300.

It depends if they get restocked or not, and i've heard alot of places aren't seeing that happen FWIW. It seems like a good enough idea though
post #13 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

If you go HERE thats about the best deal you will find. Its 720p and I dont think you will find a 1080p display for the price he wants.

Do they charge California sales tax???
post #14 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

I agree with solo, squirrel away $50 or $100 a month for the next couple of months or until the new lines come out in I think march through may and 1) You'll get a better deal and 2) you'll get a better set.

He's not the type of person to save his cash. He has bills to pay and if he has cash to spend, he'll spend it. This is probably the only time in awhile that he'll have a chance to purchase an HDTV. He doesn't really care if it's 720p or 1080p. Just as long as it produces a nice picture and is at least 42 inches.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

Do they charge California sales tax???

Nope that price you see is what he would pay.
post #16 of 36
You can find a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma under that limit if you keep an eye out. I got an 85U for $860 including shipping and CA tax, 80U will be even easier to find. The deal I got is over otherwise I'd point you in the right direction. I would definitely be patient on a 1080P instead of going the 720P route.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post

panny px80 series is his only real choice for size and display quality at that price point.

There are a couple stores in my area that have a few sets that meet the price point. The Samsung PN42A450, Samsung LN40A550 and the Panasonic 42" PX80 are all under $900.00 with some careful shopping. Only the Sammy 550 is 1080p.
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Nope that price you see is what he would pay.

Do folks think that the price for the 50" 720p Panny is nice or should he go ahead and purchase the 42" model for less?
post #19 of 36
Wow you all are recommending 42" sets when if you had bothered to check the link I provided him its a 50" Panny for $19 more than his buddys budget with free shipping and no sales tax. If ya'll can find a better deal than that I am all ears
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

Do folks think that the price for the 50" 720p Panny is nice or should he go ahead and purchase the 42" model for less?

Dude bigger is better. Buy as much TV as you can afford. How far away from the TV will he be sitting? Thats another consideration.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

wow you all are recommending 42" sets when if you had bothered to check the link i provided him its a 50" panny for $19 more than his buddys budget with free shipping and no sales tax. If ya'll can find a better deal than that i am all ears

+1
post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Dude bigger is better. Buy as much TV as you can afford. How far away from the TV will he be sitting? Thats another consideration.

He'll be at least 10 feet away I'm guessing. I'm going to show him the 50" 720p Panny. I'll probably have to loan him the extra cash. I can't bare to see him purchase a smaller HDTV for around the same price.
post #23 of 36
Ok here is a chart that shows the benefit of 1080p vs. 720p


http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html


As you can see to tell the difference of 720p from 1080p he would need to be sitting about 6 or 7 feet from the screen with a 50" TV.
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Ok here is a chart that shows the benefit of 1080p vs. 720p


http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html


As you can see to tell the difference of 720p from 1080p he would need to be sitting about 6 or 7 feet from the screen with a 50" TV.

He's the type of person that would not notice unless you pointed it out to him.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

He's the type of person that would not notice unless you pointed it out to him.

Well if it was me with that budget I would be buying from that link I posted. Thats me but where else are you gonna get a 50" Panny Plasma for that amount with no tax? And free shipping?
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Well if it was me with that budget I would be buying from that link I posted. Thats me but where else are you gonna get a 50" Panny Plasma for that amount with no tax? And free shipping?

well if he was shopping before xmas, the 50px80 could be had as low as 800 with no tax and free shipping. Now you're lucky to find it for under $1000, I say jump on that deal without a doubt. I payed a grand for mine but got it for no interest 18 months, which makes payments less painful. I'd recommend the TV to anybody, and most seeing it with my settings would probably buy it too without checking a spec sheet
post #27 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Well if it was me with that budget I would be buying from that link I posted. Thats me but where else are you gonna get a 50" Panny Plasma for that amount with no tax? And free shipping?

I plan telling him about the 50" 720p Panny later today. Thanks for the input folks.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

I plan telling him about the 50" 720p Panny later today. Thanks for the input folks.

The 50px80u is an excellent deal for less than a grand- I don't think 720p is that big of a deal but if he's as sensitive to SDE as I am you may want to consider the 46pz80u- most places have it for the same price and it steps you up to 1080p.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

I plan telling him about the 50" 720p Panny later today. Thanks for the input folks.

YW Homie (your name cracks me up). If he buys it you should check out the official thread in the plasma section for break in setting and the optimal after break in settings for it. Or just get take it out of torch mode and enjoy
post #30 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

The 50px80u is an excellent deal for less than a grand- I don't think 720p is that big of a deal but if he's as sensitive to SDE as I am you may want to consider the 46pz80u- most places have it for the same price and it steps you up to 1080p.

46pz80u for the same price?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Friend is purchasing his first HDTV. Has 850 dollars to spend. Please help?