or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Paradigm Sub 12 & Sub 15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Sub 12 & Sub 15

post #1 of 830
Thread Starter 
Paradigm's new Sub 12, and Sub 15 have my interest... I can't wait to put an ear near one.
Dual 850w amplifiers (one per voicecoil) is each model is pretty damn cool IMO.

Sub 12 $1999
Sub 15 $2799

The optional Perfect Bass Kit is $299, but can control more than one sub.

Enjoy!







post #2 of 830
I would love to see a test bench of the new 15.
post #3 of 830
I would have to rewire my house for one of those. I'm a Paradigm fan and most of my speakers and my current subwoofer are Paradigm but that is just too much juice for 1 sub. Rather run multiple smaller subs rather than have to rewire my house.
post #4 of 830
now i have to choose between the sub 15 and the svs13 ultra.
post #5 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

now i have to choose between the sub 15 and the svs13 ultra.

If your main use is HT, the PB13 will beat the SUB 15 easily. I'm not sure about music, but they should be close, an edge for the PB13.
post #6 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

If your main use is HT, the PB13 will beat the SUB 15 easily. I'm not sure about music, but they should be close, an edge for the PB13.

you cant beat the price of the svs. but i think the more musical the speaker system is, it will sound better with movies. plus most movies have music.
post #7 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

you cant beat the price of the svs. but i think the more musical the speaker system is, it will sound better with movies. plus most movies have music.

That is true to some degree, but for HT use, the subwoofer's main focus is output. You want the sub to have lots of output to shake your room.
post #8 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

If your main use is HT, the PB13 will beat the SUB 15 easily. I'm not sure about music, but they should be close, an edge for the PB13.

I love how you can say such an opinion as fact when the sub has not been released yet and you have not heard it. Right now price is all that can be compared
post #9 of 830
I was just going to make a thread about these to get opinions. Since they are so new I imagine not too many have made it to the wild yet.

The good news is Paradigm has finally arrived into the "self calibrating subwoofer world". Only about 2 years too late.
post #10 of 830
I would compare the 15 incher to the J L Audio F113, based on price.
post #11 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcelyea View Post

I love how you can say such an opinion as fact when the sub has not been released yet and you have not heard it. Right now price is all that can be compared

It is 100% that the SUB 15 will have less output than the PB13. I don't think there is any sealed commercial subwoofer than can exceed the output of a PB13. Also, this is not even Paradigm's flagship sub.

For sake of comparison, Paradigm's Servo v2 (15''), Paradigm's second best sub, only outputted 99dB at 20Hz, 104dB at 30Hz, and 102dB at 50Hz at 2M away ground plane. The PB13, outputted 108dB at 20Hz, 112dB at 31Hz, and 116dB at 50hz. This is equivalent to more than 3 Servo v2s. Do you think the SUB 15 have any chance of beating the PB13?
post #12 of 830
The test would be interesting we are talking a lot of power and more cone area but
the pb-13 is a hard sub to beat price,performance and size.
post #13 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

It is 100% that the SUB 15 will have less output than the PB13. I don't think there is any sealed commercial subwoofer than can exceed the output of a PB13. Also, this is not even Paradigm's flagship sub.

For sake of comparison, Paradigm's Servo v2 (15''), Paradigm's second best sub, only outputted 99dB at 20Hz, 104dB at 30Hz, and 102dB at 50Hz at 2M away ground plane. The PB13, outputted 108dB at 20Hz, 112dB at 31Hz, and 116dB at 50hz. This is equivalent to more than 3 Servo v2s. Do you think the SUB 15 have any chance of beating the PB13?

is it all about the output?what about the sound quality?
post #14 of 830
I was proving my point that the PB13 is guaranteed to have more output than the SUB 15.

Sound quality should be better, I don't know if it'll be better than the PB13, I'm just speculating. The Servo v2's sound quality was not on par with the PB13.
post #15 of 830
I'm really interested in the distortion figures for these subs.
post #16 of 830
Has anyone heard any of these yet?
post #17 of 830
What if the Sub 15 and the PB13 were the same price? Which would you prefer then?
post #18 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcelyea View Post

I love how you can say such an opinion as fact when the sub has not been released yet and you have not heard it. Right now price is all that can be compared

He already answered your question, but if you had an Ultra, or ever heard one, you would know

Quote:


What if the Sub 15 and the PB13 were the same price? Which would you prefer then?

I have a love hate relationship with my Ultra, I love the output, but the size... good lord. My primary use is HT, so the Ultra, no hesitation.
post #19 of 830
The new Sub12 and Sub15 will be JL Audio f112 and f113 competition. The JL's capable of displacing slightly more air.

The new Paradigm subs are suilt like tanks,I saw the Sub12 at my local Paradigm/JL dealer.

I may buy the Sub 15 and Sub 12 and stack thembesides my f113's and f112's.

Real nice subs.

For pure output the SVS Ultra and new Plus will displace more air,where the SVS takes ouver is in output from 30Hz down to tune.No surprises here,anyone who understands a bit how a sealed fares versus a ported will make an easy deduction here.
post #20 of 830
my question is two sub 12's or one sub 15 ? my listening area is about 17 long 13 wide 8 high . paradigm 100's cc 690 adp 590 anthem mca 50 avm 50. my great room total is about 40 long 25 wide 8 high , with the listening room in that space , 50 50 ht music . i was told doing a 5.1 i would be better with two subs instead of a single sub . the cost of doing a 7.1 system would be more , amps speakers ect... input please ? want to do it right first time . putting wire in walls soon. thanks in advance .
post #21 of 830
I'd go with two Sub-12's, you'll get a little more output(depending on where you place them-phase, etc.) and smoother response, I like having two subs, I use one for lower frequncies, and the other set on a higher crossover frequncy to fill in mid bass, sounds great. But of course you don't have to do that. MO
post #22 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain View Post

What if the Sub 15 and the PB13 were the same price? Which would you prefer then?

Sub 15 (neeed looks too)
post #23 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

Sub 15 (neeed looks too)


why?
post #24 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmonkey View Post

why?

a great speaker should also be a nice peice of furniture.
post #25 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

a great speaker should also be a nice peice of furniture.

My sub is my end table. It supports my cigar humidor and ash tray. Of course, with some demo material, those have to be relocated or they move on their own.
post #26 of 830
Whats the MSRP on these in CAD

(or did the OP post in CAD?)

thanx
post #27 of 830
How does the perfect bass kit compare with the SVS AS- EQ1? Does it handle 2 subs?

Thanks in advance

Rick
post #28 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

a great speaker should also be a nice peice of furniture.


sorry for the confusion... by 'why' i meant why would you choose the sub15 over the pb13. (solely on looks?)
post #29 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmonkey View Post

sorry for the confusion... by 'why' i meant why would you choose the sub15 over the pb13. (solely on looks?)

nope
1. the size
2. the looks
3. for a practical application there are plenty of subs at this level, and one could choose any of them and be satisified.
4. i like to keep all of the speaker in the same family
5. Paradigm/Anthem is a great company
post #30 of 830
This is the debate that i'm having with myself. I'm going to get 100's, 20's for surrounds, and 690 center, but i'm still really on the fence about the sub. I was thinking either a PB13 or the new v5 Sub 15.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts they would like to share about how these two subs compare with one another?

- Which produces more sound?
- Which produces better quality sound?
- How would they compare against one another?
- Is the price difference between the two justified?

I've heard the PB13 and it seems like a great sub to me, but I haven't heard the new Sub15. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Paradigm Sub 12 & Sub 15