or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread... - Page 5

post #121 of 2037
Thread Starter 
I am actually in the process of comparing some receivers. I have had Onkyo for 4 years now and wanted to hear what else was out there. Before that I had Denon for awhile. No worries, I will keep the 886 in my 1100 just in case. So far though, after calibration I have been impressed with what the 07 sounds like.
post #122 of 2037
Will the Harmony do an adequate job of shifting through playlists with a Dennon networked receiver / processor? One of the key advantages of something like Sonos is that its controller does that. Anyone have experience on thsi?
post #123 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am actually in the process of comparing some receivers. I have had Onkyo for 4 years now and wanted to hear what else was out there. Before that I had Denon for awhile. No worries, I will keep the 886 in my 1100 just in case. So far though, after calibration I have been impressed with what the 07 sounds like.

Joe what do you do with all your old gear , umm I mean new old gear sell it on EBay or something ??...

Cheers Mate....
post #124 of 2037
Thread Starter 
I sell most of it on Amazon. Some of it here.
post #125 of 2037
Does anyone know if there is any logic to the order that the device icons appear (with check marks) after an activity is started? They certainly don't match the order that I have programed for commands to be sent. i.e. my projector is the first device that I turn on yet it is the last icon I see with a check mark in the activity.
Thanks for your help.
post #126 of 2037
Picked up my new 1100 Tuesday and have gotten all my gear to work with it - even the PS3 with a Nyko Blu-wave IR receiver. Looking to get the AA Blue2IR device when it's released. Still tweaking some settings but so far so good. I had looked at getting Control4 but the cost with professional configuration (I still prefer to do my own setups) was more than I wanted to get into - I'm pretty tech savy and willing to do most of my own rigging.
post #127 of 2037
Hi guys

Great thread. Thanks for all the info

I am a semi-happy owner of the H1000 and i have been using it with the RF-extender like many of you. My long standing problem with the 1000 is the signal "travel time" (around 0.5-1 second). Meaning the time from when i click a button to when the device (eg. mediacenter) responds. I run everything through my Vista Mediacenter so navigating the ui/changing tv-channels etc. is very tedious because i have to wait that small amount of time between every click.

I was wondering if you guys experienced the same problem with your 1000+RF extender and whether upgrading to the 1100+RF eliminated the problem (making the "travel time" not noticable or near instant).

Thanks in advance

degofedal
post #128 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobt View Post

Does anyone know if there is any logic to the order that the device icons appear (with check marks) after an activity is started? They certainly don't match the order that I have programed for commands to be sent. i.e. my projector is the first device that I turn on yet it is the last icon I see with a check mark in the activity.
Thanks for your help.

as far as I know it has to do with the order that the devices are being turned on and become 'available'...the image for the device appears when the power command is sent...then the image darkens and the check mark appears when the devices power on delay has passed

btw, terrible forum default to NOT have the original message show up when you select 'quick reply'....
post #129 of 2037
Hello, everyone & Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I do have one question about the Harmony 1100 and I can't seem to figure anything out so I might be missing something.

Is there anyway to program the remote so that when I hit the "Watch DVD" activity icon that I can get the lights to automatically dim to there preset. I have a Lutron Grafikeye 3000 & normally would hit the second button the the remote which I have set up for a 15 second dim cycle.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks, John
post #130 of 2037
Go to your Watch DVD activity and run through the setup steps again. You will eventually come to a screen where it asks if everything is set up right. There will be a selection that says something like "Yes, but I would like to add more control", pick that one and go back through the setup. Finally you will come to a screen where you can add additional commands for when you start or leave an activity. Add the command for dimming your lights at the end of the startup sequence.
post #131 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post

Hi guys. I was wondering if you could help me out with making a choice. I am trying to decide between an RTI tv-3 and the Harmony 1100. Obviously I know they are two totally different levels of product but I am trying to see if the Harmony would be able to handle what I need it to do. I am currently using an old Pronto. The first black and white one (i forgot the model.)

I would be controlling a total of 8 products. A Classe ssp-300, Marantz 9500 (my dvd audio /sacd player), Samsung bd-up 5000, Mitsubishi vcr, Zektor mas 7.1 hdmi switcher, Mitsubishi dlp, Direc tv hdvr and a Rotel cd player.

The thing I liked about my pronto is that it was programmed with discrete codes and the ir response was very quick for what I needed it to do. Will i be able to get that kind of quick response with the harmony and be able to control all those devices easily? I would use it via IR since all my equipment is line of sight. I would eventually get the rf just for the fun of it if I went with the Harmony.

I can get a good deal on the RTI and I would be able to get the program as well but in the end the Harmony would save me a ton of money. Especially since I have a ton of Best Buy reward zone points stored up. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to paint the full picture for you. I look forward to your response! Thanks

I dont believe there is any comparison to the RTI T3V. I have one, as well as T2C, and they are great remotes. If you can get them at a discount, along with the software, I would recommend over the Harmony. However, if you are not tech savvy, are not interested in programming, then stay with the Harmony. The description of your equipment is rather complex, and while the Harmony will handle, the RTI is much more robust.
post #132 of 2037
For anyone interested in picking up the Harmony 1100, as I have been, today is the last day Amazon has it on sale for $386.12 with the RF Extender bundled with it for free. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and, no doubt, will be back to this thread soon with questions.
post #133 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

For anyone interested in picking up the Harmony 1100, as I have been, today is the last day Amazon has it on sale for $386.12 with the RF Extender bundled with it for free. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and, no doubt, will be back to this thread soon with questions.

feel free to come back here...but I do spend more time on the Logitech forums
post #134 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

For anyone interested in picking up the Harmony 1100, as I have been, today is the last day Amazon has it on sale for $386.12 with the RF Extender bundled with it for free. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and, no doubt, will be back to this thread soon with questions.

SOB! one day too late!! lol I would've bought it.
post #135 of 2037
Got the 1100 thru the Amazon deal and I love this remote. Everything I set up including my Motorola 6200 digital set top box, Lumagen Radiance XD, JVC RS1, Onkyo SR805, Onkyo DS-A2X iPod dock, and Panny BD35 works flawlessly. One of the things I really like to do is play music while I watch sports (don't like the talking heads sometimes), and now I can run my digital music activity, manage the iPod menu on screen, and then switch Radiance XD inputs to watch TV while the music plays. Great fun!
post #136 of 2037
Switched from Comcast to DirecTV a couple of months ago. Anybody know how to program into the Logitech the hyphen sign that DirecTV uses for some of the HD stations? I tried just typing a - in the program, but that doesn't seem to work.
post #137 of 2037
if the dash isn't in the database as "-", learn it from the original remote
post #138 of 2037
Newbie here. RF remote such as the harmony 1100 can control IR devices?

Just confirming before I spend my pennies.

Long shots, anybody have the epson 6500 projector using this remote.

I checked the logitec but it says to call them to get adivce .

Tony
post #139 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Newbie here. RF remote such as the harmony 1100 can control IR devices?

Just confirming before I spend my pennies.

Long shots, anybody have the epson 6500 projector using this remote.

I checked the logitec but it says to call them to get adivce .

Tony

just to clarify...the 1100, as well as the 1000, the 890, and the 890pro can NOT control proprietary RF devices. the 890 and 890pro can control z-wave rf devices but the 1000 and 1100 can only send rf to it's extender, which is not included. so be careful calling it an rf remote.

but to answer your question, yes... the remote can control some devices by IR and others via the extender at the same time...it just depends on how you set things up in the programming
post #140 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

just to clarify...the 1100, as well as the 1000, the 890, and the 890pro can NOT control proprietary RF devices. the 890 and 890pro can control z-wave rf devices but the 1000 and 1100 can only send rf to it's extender, which is not included. so be careful calling it an rf remote.

but to answer your question, yes... the remote can control some devices by IR and others via the extender at the same time...it just depends on how you set things up in the programming


I have fios cable. The box is from motorola. When I use their remote control, I don't have to point it backward (all my equipment located) and it still work. Is that considered Z wave RF? Newbie . I checked logitech and it showed up in their database.

So does it means I have to get an extender if I purchased the 1100?


tony
post #141 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

I have fios cable. The box is from motorola. When I use their remote control, I don't have to point it backward (all my equipment located) and it still work. Is that considered Z wave RF? Newbie . I checked logitech and it showed up in their database.

So does it means I have to get an extender if I purchased the 1100?


tony

no, that box is IR...if the box is behind you, then you're getting the IR bouncing off of things and hitting the box...

you don't have to purchase the wireless extender if you buy the 1100...but if you have IR devices without line of sight (i.e. in a cabinet), you would need either the extender or a 3rd party IR repeater...and in that case I recommend the extender
post #142 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

no, that box is IR...if the box is behind you, then you're getting the IR bouncing off of things and hitting the box...

you don't have to purchase the wireless extender if you buy the 1100...but if you have IR devices without line of sight (i.e. in a cabinet), you would need either the extender or a 3rd party IR repeater...and in that case I recommend the extender

So that remote control is still IR (motorola HD qip 7100 1)? My onkyo txsr 805 and samsung 2500 need to be pointed directly. What do those called then?

I thought RF don't need to be pointed directly and IF do.

Tnt
post #143 of 2037
listen, I can't say this any clearer...the box is IR...all your devices are IR...if you are finding that you don't need to point it directly at the QIP7100, you're likely getting IR signals bouncing around off of things and the box eventually sees it...as a test, bury the remote under a pillow...now try controlling the box....does it work?
post #144 of 2037
Thread Starter 
I have been tweaking the heck out of my 1100 lately. I like adding "extras" from other devices in a component's activity... Makes life much easier...
post #145 of 2037
Hi all, I purchased a Harmony 1100 from Amazon about two weeks ago. I’m pretty decent at setting up these remotes by now so everything is pretty much working as planned. I had a 1000 before the 1100 and I’m enjoying some of the new fixes and upgrades. For instance, knock on wood, but I haven’t had the run away volume issue once yet.

The only issue that I’m running into is what I would describe as an eventual slow down in the transmission of the signals to the RF module and then on to the equipment. When ever I make a tweak to the remote and update both the RF gizmo and the remote all the gear responds perfectly to signals I’m sending. I spent a lot of time on the inter key delays and I’m at the point where I’m really happy with the performance. But usually after a day or so of use it seems like the remote just starts sending out all signals very slowly to each piece of gear. The result is I can no longer send a few quick taps to turn up the volume quickly for instance. Instead, I have to press the volume up button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second and so on. And all the gear responds like this ( TiVo, receiver, Apple TV, 360, etc...)

But as soon as I update the remote everything goes back to normal. So I’m wondering if this is happening to anyone else or if it’s just me. Any work arounds out there? Even pulling the battery and restarting the remote doesn’t work. Will a firmware patch fix this?

Thanks guys!
post #146 of 2037
I myself haven't seen this behavior...I would contact harmony support so that they're aware of the issue and can work with you directly on it
post #147 of 2037
Can the macro be told to turn on the projector, turn on the AVR, choose cable instead of dvd from the AVR?

Tnt
post #148 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Can the macro be told to turn on the projector, turn on the AVR, choose cable instead of dvd from the AVR?

Tnt

1. it's not a macro...a macro is a set string of commands. an activity, automatically takes into account the current state of the devices (based on the current activity) and alters the commands it sends
2. yes, when you setup the activity, you tell it what input you need to be in. be sure to select 'add activity', 'manual', then the appropriate activity type...

the key is to select manual, so you get the choices instead of the software making the choice for you
post #149 of 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

1. it's not a macro...a macro is a set string of commands. an activity, automatically takes into account the current state of the devices (based on the current activity) and alters the commands it sends
2. yes, when you setup the activity, you tell it what input you need to be in. be sure to select 'add activity', 'manual', then the appropriate activity type...

the key is to select manual, so you get the choices instead of the software making the choice for you

Thank you.

Tony
post #150 of 2037
Thread Starter 
I have learned it is much easier to add other component's commands on all activty pages. For example, I have light controls on every component's section. Same for my masking system. I also add crucial, well used commands as well. It makes life mch easier. The 1100 has still been working well for me. I have some pics of it in the last page of my link in my signature...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread...