or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread - Page 114

post #3391 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Rear and surround speakers get roughly 1/3 less current than the main and center speakers. For example, a THX select 2 avr will deliver 12 amps to the main speakers and 6-9 amps to the surrounds. Therefore, during dynamic passages in a movies the surrounds may not respond as well.

What?
post #3392 of 5345
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-4.html
This article explains some of the important difference in THX certified equipment.
post #3393 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Rear and surround speakers get roughly 1/3 less current than the main and center speakers. For example, a THX select 2 avr will deliver 12 amps to the main speakers and 6-9 amps to the surrounds. Therefore, during dynamic passages in a movies the surrounds may not respond as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-4.html
This article explains some of the important difference in THX certified equipment.

If you're talking about this passage
Quote:
Ultra amplifiers must be stable on all channels to 3.2 ohms and swing an 18A peak, while Select products must be stable into 4 ohms (front channel) and 8 ohms (surrounds), and swing peaks of 12.5A and 6.2A respectively.
then I think you should rewrite your first statement as follows:
Quote:
The maximum current a Select 2 AVR must be able to provide to rear and surround speakers is roughly 1/3 less current than for the main and center speakers. For example, a THX select 2 avr must be able to deliver 12 amps to the main speakers but only 6 amps to the surrounds. Therefore, during dynamic passages in a movies the surrounds may not respond as well as the fronts.

Note that while your statement is true for Select 2, it does not hold true for ULTRA AVRs that must be able to provide 18 amps on all channels, so your first sentence is probably what got you those weird looks because of its implied overall generalization...

Dan.

P.S.: And if you wrote your original statement for joebuzz's issue, then it does not apply since he has a SC LX86 which is Ultra 2, and therefore should have the same performance on all channels.
Edited by info_dan - 9/26/12 at 3:38pm
post #3394 of 5345
Thanks for the re-wording.
post #3395 of 5345
P.S.: And if you wrote your original statement for joebuzz's issue, then it does not apply since he has a SC LX86 which is Ultra 2, and therefore should have the same performance on all channels.[/quote]

Clearly i do understand that THX Select is different, but as stated i was using the SC LX86 which is an Ultra 2 amp. I was auditioning the Pioneer which seems very powerful being an AVR but even after i tried my setup which consits of 5 Marantz MA700 mono amps (THX) and the Onkyo PR SC5508 processor, I still had the distortion on Tron movie on the surrounds. Was not happy about this and went to a friend to try the same passage on his setup. He has Mirage speakers 4 NAD 208 THX amps, a really mind blowing system. We switched off the fronts and centre amps to concentrate on the surround channels, and to my and his surprise the same distortion happened on his setup. My conclusion is that the rear soundtrack on the movie Tron reaches peaks that no setup can handle.

The only thing holding me back from getting the Pioneer is that the overall cutoff frequency cannot be set individually. The problem i have is on the surrounds only (I was so frustrated by this that i also went to the Jamo dealer and asked him to try the D600 LCR's as surrounds, because i was convinced that the dipoles are not handling the power, but same thing happend). If I put the crossover at 150Hz the distortion will be eliminated, but unfortunately the Pioneer will set all the speakers at that frequency. On the Onkyo, i can set the crossover individually, thus eliminating the distortion at the surround channels. Pioneer have upped the game when it comes to amplification (i really like class D), but Audessey has much more flexibility and can give you an overall better performance. Obviously this is only my honest opinion. Thanks.
post #3396 of 5345
I recently bought a SC-1222-k and am trying to come grip with using MCACC(used Audyssey 2EQ and YPAO prior to this) and was wondering if I have my subs volume too high while calibrating. I have read several pages of this thread and will try the workflow that was suggested on the first page. Anyway, I initially had both my subs volume at 12 o'clock as YPAO wanted but MCACC said that was too high. So, I set both subs(Polk PW505 and Paradigm PDR 12v2) to the 10 o'clock position. After running Auto MCACC, it set my sub level at -13. Now my question is, should I turn the subwoofer's volume down more and rerun MCACC?
post #3397 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

I recently bought a SC-1222-k and am trying to come grip with using MCACC(used Audyssey 2EQ and YPAO prior to this) and was wondering if I have my subs volume too high while calibrating. I have read several pages of this thread and will try the workflow that was suggested on the first page. Anyway, I initially had both my subs volume at 12 o'clock as YPAO wanted but MCACC said that was too high. So, I set both subs(Polk PW505 and Paradigm PDR 12v2) to the 10 o'clock position. After running Auto MCACC, it set my sub level at -13. Now my question is, should I turn the subwoofer's volume down more and rerun MCACC?

I would try to make your sub output around 0 in the MCACC settings. So yes, turn down more and re-run.
post #3398 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

I would try to make your sub output around 0 in the MCACC settings. So yes, turn down more and re-run.
Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
post #3399 of 5345
Just bought a VSX-822k used to my audessey setup from my onkyo 606 that just died to much money to repair. Went to bestbuy is was the best one in my imo there so bought it with 4 year service. Hooked it up started to calibrate it it is way different used to setting it with HZ not large to small and my sub sounds nonexistent. Been reading the forums getting some input but whats the best way to setup everything up? I have polk speakers 2 towers for fronts. 2 bookshelfs for rears and and cs2 for center. PS I have a ESW-V10 energy sub which with the onkyo receiver was awesome but didnt want the reciever to crap out on again so went with a different brand. Help


Thanks
post #3400 of 5345
MCACC is adjust the system for a flat frequency respone. If the sub volume in the avr settings is to far in the minus range, the sub gain is to high. In a perfect setup, the sub/s should not be able to be localized. Also moving the sub 1 to 2 ft may make a difference in the settings.
post #3401 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

Just bought a VSX-822k used to my audessey setup from my onkyo 606 that just died to much money to repair. Went to bestbuy is was the best one in my imo there so bought it with 4 year service. Hooked it up started to calibrate it it is way different used to setting it with HZ not large to small and my sub sounds nonexistent. Been reading the forums getting some input but whats the best way to setup everything up? I have polk speakers 2 towers for fronts. 2 bookshelfs for rears and and cs2 for center. PS I have a ESW-V10 energy sub which with the onkyo receiver was awesome but didnt want the reciever to crap out on again so went with a different brand. Help
Thanks

Welcome jpopperez,

I am also a Buffalonian (Kenmore actually but close enough). Are you able to get through the Full Auto MCACC without issue? Did you set up your speakers as "small" and what level did MCACC set your sub?
post #3402 of 5345
I moved the sub and the fronts a little and reran the mcacc and it made the sub volume +1 db and made all the speakers to large but I thought that the rears should be small. It did sound better than the first two times I ran the auto setup up I wish it would let you put in actual HZ numbers instead of large and small but may it doesnt matter Idk.

All help is appriated.

Thanks and GO BILLS
post #3403 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

I moved the sub and the fronts a little and reran the mcacc and it made the sub volume +1 db and made all the speakers to large but I thought that the rears should be small. It did sound better than the first two times I ran the auto setup up I wish it would let you put in actual HZ numbers instead of large and small but may it doesnt matter Idk.
All help is appriated.
Thanks and GO BILLS

Manually change them to small and rerun while keeping the speaker settings. You can specify the crossover frequency as well for your sub. When your speakers are set to small it will use the sub for anything below your crossover setting.
post #3404 of 5345
MCACC does thing that may not be obvious on first glance. Today I had to run MCACC and it set all the speakers to large except the center with a xo of 100. I have Large Klipsch speakers, I ran auto mcacc and set my speakers to small with the keep speaker system setting with the xo at 100. Checking the setting, mcacc should not of had the 63 Hz band active for the RF 7's with the xo of 100 and small setting for the speaker, but I was able to adjust the 63 Hz band on the front speaker. So, the xo point chose by mcacc dose not alway reflect what frequencies certain speaker will receive.
post #3405 of 5345
I rerun the auto setup after I set the rears to smalls and it turned them back to large. m not sure what to do next.
post #3406 of 5345

Read the very first post of this thread.

post #3407 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

I would try to make your sub output around 0 in the MCACC settings. So yes, turn down more and re-run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

I turned down the subs and ran full auto and got -0.5 so I think that is pretty good.
post #3408 of 5345
I made an error in my above post. With all speakers set to small there is no adjusting of the 63 Hz band. While fooling around with the settings, I accidentally set the mains to Large befor going to manual MCACC.
post #3409 of 5345
The reason your getting very little sent to your sub is because your fronts are being set to large and are getting the full signal, thus excluding the sub. Once MCACC has done its thing, just go back into speaker settings and change them to small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

I rerun the auto setup after I set the rears to smalls and it turned them back to large. m not sure what to do next.

Edited by bmurray716 - 10/7/12 at 4:02pm
post #3410 of 5345
So after I ran the auto setup I set all speakers to small and set the crossover to 80hz then I watched a bluray and had no sound through the rest speakers but everthing else sounded perfect when I watch baseball or football they r there it must be a setting that I have to chose while I'm watching blurays help please I have the 822k
post #3411 of 5345
Rear speakers
post #3412 of 5345

Auto surround?

post #3413 of 5345
Still nothing
post #3414 of 5345
I'm watching a bluray right now and it's only 3.1 instead of 5.1 no rears they are on and labeled small
post #3415 of 5345
make sure you are sending a 5.1 signal to the avr. go into your blueray settings (when you have a blueray in the player that you know is in 5.1) and make sure it is set to send the multichannel signal to the player. Then make sure your avr is on Auto Surround. Your obviously getting close so hang in there. smile.gif
post #3416 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

I'm watching a bluray right now and it's only 3.1 instead of 5.1 no rears they are on and labeled small

Are you getting the 5 surround and one sub lights on the panel?

 

post #3417 of 5345
Just says "Phase Auto" in the top left corner. I reran the auto setup again last night set all speakers to small and crossover to 80hz. I also went into the PS3 and chose hdmi audio and all the audio formats it supports and im testing it out on netflix right now.
post #3418 of 5345

I also came across this:

"Also make sure that your surrounds (SL and SR) are not plugged in the surround back posts (SBL and SBR). I think that upon calibration if the receiver doesn't detect speakers connected to SL and SR, it will not even try the SBL and SBR channels."

 

But, if you get 5.1 with other sources, a setting in your BDP is wrong.

 

post #3419 of 5345
Yeah it seems I get 5.1 on my directv but nothing else. Im off from work today so I wanna get this fixed today before I go back to work tomorrow they all worked fine with my sr606 now its ridiculous they dont work now.
post #3420 of 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Are you getting the 5 surround and one sub lights on the panel?


The 822 does not have that on its display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

Yeah it seems I get 5.1 on my directv but nothing else. Im off from work today so I wanna get this fixed today before I go back to work tomorrow they all worked fine with my sr606 now its ridiculous they dont work now.

How do you have your components connected?

When you are watching directtv are you on autosurr mode? when on autosurr mode you will see the "auto" light in the upper left light up. I'm not familiar with directtv so maybe someone else can verify that it provides a multichannel signal.

When you perform Auto MCACC I assume you are hearing sounds through your rear speakers during the testing. Please confirm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread