or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › BIC America F12 sub anyone ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BIC America F12 sub anyone ? - Page 76

post #2251 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

I love my country but it's a pain to try to buy quality electronics at a fair price so your got to be a little more flexible in your expectation like we did.

I totally agree. Sourcing can be so difficult you don't want to push too hard because you don't have 5 other options at your disposal. Update me once you have the double F12 setup going. Currently I don't have the space but have been holding off on finishing my basement and the more I upgrade my AV equipment the more motivation I have.
post #2252 of 2834
Hey guys,

received 1 of my 2 F12 that I ordered and I was wondering where you guys have your gain at. I did a quick search in this post but didn't find anything concrete but am fully aware that my "searching skills" may s$$k. I'm aware that a recommendation of the 9:00 position is out there but just wondering where F12 owners have their set at.

I have a Pio 921 if that matters...

Cheers
post #2253 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Cloverfield, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Serenity and Inception are some of my favorite blu-rays for testing my subs.

You may want to add Terminator Salvation to your list for sub testing.

Terminator Salvation Blu-ray, Audio Quality

Terminator Salvation explodes onto Blu-ray with a remarkably loud, active, clear, and entertaining DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless soundtrack. From the opening title music, it becomes clear that this one means business. It's a punishing listen that seems to at every turn mangle the listening area with prodigious amounts of bass, mesmerizing and natural surround implementation, and borderline unmerciful volume at reference level, but it's a sonic joy to behold that never gets old and always seems to find a way to top itself with each major sequence. The opening scene inside a prison cell offers not only the expectedly clear dialogue reproduction but subtle sound effects and the slamming of the cell door -- that seems to move across the front half of the soundstage and slam shut with a hard-hitting authority -- set a tone for the far more aggressive action sequences to come. The opening future war battle scene features A-10 fighters zooming powerfully through the listening area; missiles track their targets as they maneuver through the room, and return gunfire from ground-based machine gun emplacements cuts through the soundstage with frightening precision. Small arms fire, too, cracks, pops, and reverberates with every shot, and helicopter rotors slice through the listening area with pinpoint accuracy. Surround activity and background ambience are superb, too. Creaks and cracks and various additional nuanced sounds throughout place the finishing touches on several crucial locations seen throughout the movie, distant popping gunfire helps to sell the war-torn environment, and several scenes featuring driving rain and accompanying thunder deliver a fully immersive atmosphere. Bass is both heard and felt in every major action scene. Whether a rumbling SkyNet Hunter-Killer aircraft that's strong enough to demolish an already decrepit building as it slowly passes above it; the deep, rumbling mechanical sounds of Harvesters as they lumber about collecting human prisoners; or numerous explosions throughout the film; the low end positively devastates the listening area and the eardrums, rattles the furniture, and completes what is nothing short of an awesome sonic experience.
post #2254 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord517 View Post

I got the F12 / M60s / CS1 hooked up yesterday and ran the "YPAO Automatic System Calibration" on my Yamaha RX-V665 (the F12's volume was in the middle / at the 12:00 position). I have to say that the levels the receiver came up with sucked! It put the sub about 2 notches above the lowest setting. Needless to say, that sounded horrible / you couldn't tell there was a sub in the mix. I put it back to the middle / default level, and everything sounds a lot better. I still need to tweak things to make it sound as good as I can, but I'll never trust the "YPAO Automatic System Calibration" again.

I have two F12's hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver.
Ran the YPAO speaker calibration and it set the subwoofer level at -10.0 db.
WTF!!!
So I went into the receivers speaker settings and manually changed the
subs level to -3.0 db.
Now everything sounds great!
post #2255 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

I have two F12's hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver.
Ran the YPAO speaker calibration and it set the subwoofer level at -10.0 db.
WTF!!!
So I went into the receivers speaker settings and manually changed the
subs level to -3.0 db.
Now everything sounds great!


If you don't mind me asking, what position is your subs gain at? I just started running a dual f12 setup and just trying to get a feel for what f12 owners set theirs at.

thanks
post #2256 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Hey guys,

received 1 of my 2 F12 that I ordered and I was wondering where you guys have your gain at. I did a quick search in this post but didn't find anything concrete but am fully aware that my "searching skills" may s$$k. I'm aware that a recommendation of the 9:00 position is out there but just wondering where F12 owners have their set at.

I have a Pio 921 if that matters...

Cheers

It seems like this answer varies depending on equipment and room acoustics. I have the gain on the f12 itself dialed to 4 and my receiver set to +4. This seems to be fine for most TV but I tend to turn down the receiver to +2 when I am watching a movie to compensate for the increase in volume.

It seems like allot of Yamaha owners have been dealing with lower than normal volumes. I am using a Samsung HTIB receiver (which will be replaced during boxing week) and my volume settings are much higher then what others seem to be experiencing.
post #2257 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi_Dan View Post

It seems like this answer varies depending on equipment and room acoustics. I have the gain on the f12 itself dialed to 4 and my receiver set to +4. This seems to be fine for most TV but I tend to turn down the receiver to +2 when I am watching a movie to compensate for the increase in volume.

It seems like allot of Yamaha owners have been dealing with lower than normal volumes. I am using a Samsung HTIB receiver (which will be replaced during boxing week) and my volume settings are much higher then what others seem to be experiencing.

Thanks. I had a feeling about the gain set to 4, that's what I had it on all along. When I ran MCACC, it set the sub to -1 so I think I'll leave as is. Can't wait to get my other one.

I'm upgrading from a 2 Polk PSW10 setup so I wanted to test the f12 out with some scenes from Terminator Salvation and after we were done she said "man, that was fun!! and you're going to have 2 of those?"
post #2258 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Thanks. I had a feeling about the gain set to 4, that's what I had it on all along. When I ran MCACC, it set the sub to -1 so I think I'll leave as is. Can't wait to get my other one.

I'm upgrading from a 2 Polk PSW10 setup so I wanted to test the f12 out with some scenes from Terminator Salvation and after we were done she said "man, that was fun!! and you're going to have 2 of those?"


I think my F12 may have broken in a bit over the past week and a half. Last night I turned it down a few more notches on my receiver to acheive better balance. I am now running it at a gain of 4 +/- 0 on my receiver. I am going to wach Terminator Salvation this weekend to push it a abit.
post #2259 of 2834
While I don't believe in burn-in with electronic components, burn-in does occur with speakers. The suspension is designed to loosen up with use (with most speakers).
post #2260 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

While I don't believe in burn-in with electronic components, burn-in does occur with speakers. The suspension is designed to loosen up with use (with most speakers).


I had never subscribed to the belief but have noticed that all of my new speakers "open up" in the past month. Even my wife asked me if I had done anything to our set up because everything was sounding better.

I'm sure this wouldn't be the case for something like a silicon chip but does make sense to what is essentially a mechanical moving part
post #2261 of 2834
Hi everyone,

I've been eyeballing the F-12s for awhile and reading all these posts on it. I recently purchased the V1020 (used my BB rewardzone certificates) for a small den area and am very happy with its output and bass quality for music and movies. However, in my living room, I plan on soon upgrading the subs I have in it now which are dual cheapo Sony SAW2500s (okay dont laugh I got these a few years ago when I didn't know better). I finished upgrading my fronts and center to Klipsch towers and want something at least as good sounding as the V1020. I experimented by placing the V1020 in the living room, but it just got swallowed up by the size of it (17' X 23' with 10' ceiling and opens up to kitchen area in the back corner). I've never heard any ID subs such as HSU or SVS so I have nothing to reference the F12 sound to besides my V1020 and Sony subs. I'm still debating getting dual F12s (believe it or not, my dual Sonys sound a lot better than just one). My budget is around $400 so I'm still debating whether one HSU 12-incher will provide enough volume as compared to dual F12s. Choices...choices...
post #2262 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropheticDoom View Post

Hi everyone,

I've been eyeballing the F-12s for awhile and reading all these posts on it. I recently purchased the V1020 (used my BB rewardzone certificates) for a small den area and am very happy with its output and bass quality for music and movies. However, in my living room, I plan on soon upgrading the subs I have in it now which are dual cheapo Sony SAW2500s (okay dont laugh I got these a few years ago when I didn't know better). I finished upgrading my fronts and center to Klipsch towers and want something at least as good sounding as the V1020. I experimented by placing the V1020 in the living room, but it just got swallowed up by the size of it (17' X 23' with 10' ceiling and opens up to kitchen area in the back corner). I've never heard any ID subs such as HSU or SVS so I have nothing to reference the F12 sound to besides my V1020 and Sony subs. I'm still debating getting dual F12s (believe it or not, my dual Sonys sound a lot better than just one). My budget is around $400 so I'm still debating whether one HSU 12-incher will provide enough volume as compared to dual F12s. Choices...choices...

Is your living room used mostly for music or HT? I think the HSU Sub would be the best option if you are looking at music applications but if your main application is Home Theatre 2 x F12 would offer impressive performance.
post #2263 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi_Dan View Post

...but if your main application is Home Theatre 2 x F12 would offer impressive performance.

It does Finally got my other one. I had doubts on my decision due to lots of not so positive comments on the F12 but after watching Terminator Salvation, the doubts are gone.
post #2264 of 2834
Just want to jump in and say that I love my F12, it is truly an amazing sub for the price. Watched Super 8 recently and some of the scenes were shaking my whole house. The train wreck scene is an AWESOME reference scene for any home theater.
post #2265 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Just want to jump in and say that I love my F12, it is truly an amazing sub for the price. Watched Super 8 recently and some of the scenes were shaking my whole house. The train wreck scene is an AWESOME reference scene for any home theater.

I second that!!
post #2266 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Just want to jump in and say that I love my F12, it is truly an amazing sub for the price. Watched Super 8 recently and some of the scenes were shaking my whole house. The train wreck scene is an AWESOME reference scene for any home theater.

Agreed, I have been having gatherings for the holiday season and must have auditioned the train wreck scene 4 times the other night. People in other parts of the house keep coming into the HT room and requesting to see whatever it was they just heard from upstairs.

I think this just goes to show that the F12 does what it’s supposed to do. Give room shaking HT bass at a decent price. I would never audition organ music to a group of friends to show it off but a train wreck with massive explosions is right up its ally…..come to think of it I would never really listen to organ music period
post #2267 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi_Dan View Post

Agreed, I have been having gatherings for the holiday season and must have auditioned the train wreck scene 4 times the other night. People in other parts of the house keep coming into the HT room and requesting to see whatever it was they just heard from upstairs.

I think this just goes to show that the F12 does what it's supposed to do. Give room shaking HT bass at a decent price. I would never audition organ music to a group of friends to show it off but a train wreck with massive explosions is right up its ally..come to think of it I would never really listen to organ music period


Good one, agreed. I wouldn't listen to organ music or a full orchastra, may watch it on TV but not for listening pleasure. The stuff I listen to, the F12 does a great job, electro, dance or house and some rock.
Watched Cowboys & Aliens Friday on BR. Very nice track with some great LFE moments and sections. Can't remember which part but at one point it scared the crap out of me, I wasn't expecting it and bang. It's a pretty good movie though, some hokie parts but overall, pretty good! I'll have to try this one with the train wreck you guys are talkin about.
post #2268 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

Good one, agreed. I wouldn't listen to organ music or a full orchastra, may watch it on TV but not for listening pleasure. The stuff I listen to, the F12 does a great job, electro, dance or house and some rock.
Watched Cowboys & Aliens Friday on BR. Very nice track with some great LFE moments and sections. Can't remember which part but at one point it scared the crap out of me, I wasn't expecting it and bang. It's a pretty good movie though, some hokie parts but overall, pretty good! I'll have to try this one with the train wreck you guys are talkin about.

It's a great scene, and when you think it's over, it goes again. Watched "Unstopabble" on BD . I just got mine so I've got to rewatch all those good LFE movies again. I don't think that I could ever go back to single sub again. I like the balanced look and the fullness and the evenness I get.
post #2269 of 2834
Man I really don't know how I could sell my wife on Dual subs. haha. That sounds awesome but I hear it as it is about the sub being too loud
post #2270 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Man I really don't know how I could sell my wife on Dual subs. haha. That sounds awesome but I hear it as it is about the sub being too loud

I'm lucky, my wife really loves it. But we have a formal living room upstairs and 2 anything goes rooms in the basement
post #2271 of 2834
Hi i just have a quick question what are the correct dimensions of the bic f-12? Amazon has them listed differently then i have seen on other websites. Thx
post #2272 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster15 View Post

Hi i just have a quick question what are the correct dimensions of the bic f-12? Amazon has them listed differently then i have seen on other websites. Thx

Lookin' at it from the front it's 17" high, 14 3/4" wide and 17 1/2" deep.
post #2273 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo775 View Post

Lookin' at it from the front it's 17" high, 14 3/4" wide and 17 1/2" deep.

Ok thanks a lot for the quick reply
post #2274 of 2834
Has anyone auditioned this subwoofer for music yet? Just want to know from owners their opinion on how it sounds with 2 channel material.
post #2275 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5er View Post

Has anyone auditioned this subwoofer for music yet? Just want to know from owners their opinion on how it sounds with 2 channel material.

Most would suggest a different sub for music as the F12 tends towards the boomy side.
post #2276 of 2834
^^^

I have 2 of them. My main purpose is movies, very good in that department. If you like jazz, blues and such, you ain't going to like, if you like heavy (like me), rap and such, it ain't so bad but there is definitely better.
cheers
post #2277 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5er View Post

Has anyone auditioned this subwoofer for music yet? Just want to know from owners their opinion on how it sounds with 2 channel material.

If you look back a few pages there are plenty of opinions both negative & positive re the musicality of the F12.
For me in my setup, it does a great job! I run a Yammy, 135 w X 7, only 5.1 for now. Many ways to listen as I suppose most receivers have, 7 channel enhanced, 2 channel enhanced, 2 channel analog with sub, 2 channel analog no sub and 'pure direct' which eliminates everything but 2 channel analog, no effect or enhancement. I like 7 channel enhanced but have become very fond of 2 channel analog with sub, sounds great! Switching between the sub and no sub gives a taste of what the F12 is bringing to the sound.
If you get a chance, try a tune called Spider by Leo Abrahams, GREAT bass line, I have it as part of The Chillout Lounge, 44 really cool tunes and a lot of it has great low end. Good test of a sub.
Again, IMHO, my F12 does a great job and is not at all 'boomy.'
post #2278 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5er View Post

Has anyone auditioned this subwoofer for music yet? Just want to know from owners their opinion on how it sounds with 2 channel material.

I agree that the F12 is ok, but not great with music. You can feel the bass from the F12, but can't quite hear clear, distinct(tight?) bass tones from the F12. I prefer my old panasonic htib with it's passive sub for 2 channel music and concert dvd/blurays because of that. It's great for movies though like everyone says. For the price, I love my F12. Just my 2 cents.
post #2279 of 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post

I agree that the F12 is ok, but not great with music. You can feel the bass from the F12, but can't quite hear clear, distinct(tight?) bass tones from the F12. I prefer my old panasonic htib with it's passive sub for 2 channel music and concert dvd/blurays because of that. It's great for movies though like everyone says. For the price, I love my F12. Just my 2 cents.

For the way and the amount of music I listen to (most is just pandora stations) I think this sub does just fine. It isnt going to wow anyone but it adds the low end dynamic to the music. My main use is home theater and it is awesome at that.
post #2280 of 2834
I finally started some upgrading on my HT setup. The two main things I purchased are a new Pioneer 1020 rcvr and a new F12. I ran the MCACC setup on my rcvr and everything seems good with one exception. The F12 just doesn't have the power I was expecting after listening to reviews. Currently watching Harry Potter 7.1 on the BDP and there are several scene with good LFE (I assume) which I do hear, but I don't....feel.

I have the XO on the rcvr set at 80 and front speakers to small. The sub volume is set to 7. Which seems high. From most of the posts I have read here most people are not going over 4ish.

Any ideas for me? Is it just the setup of my room etc?
(15x20 room, 14ft slanted to 9 foot high ceilings. The main walk way is wide open to the dinette and then the kitchen. So I assume I am loosing some "bass feeling" in the size of the room too, right?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › BIC America F12 sub anyone ?