or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Kryptonitewhite's PICS and VIDS build log Fi IB3 18" and 22"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kryptonitewhite's PICS and VIDS build log Fi IB3 18" and 22"

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
We shopped for a Buick Rendezvous or Pontiac Aztac so we could get >18 cubes and still have room for kids, grocieries and such and avoid getting a minivan. Explorers, Blasers, Bravadas, and the like we'ren't nearly enough.

Basically we are walling the hatchback. >20 cubes, 8" port. This is temporary until a 21" or 22" driver of similar specs is finished. ( >30mm Xmax, <20Hz Fs)

I originally designed it to have the sub on top and port on bottom, but once the 22" is in, side by side works better.





























post #2 of 44
I'm sure the kids will love it.
post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I'm sure the kids will love it.

I'll try to keep it down to 120dB-130dB when they're present
post #4 of 44
Here is a vanity plate idea for you ...

"Stereo worth more than Car".
post #5 of 44
...and pretty soon after all this we're gonna start loading the kids in the enclosure because they're more dense than pillows or polyfil.
post #6 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Here is a vanity plate idea for you ...

"Stereo worth more than Car".

you are correct, actually!
post #7 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

...and pretty soon after all this we're gonna start loading the kids in the enclosure because they're more dense than pillows or polyfil.

I can't believe you just gave me that idea.. thats just wrong... I've thought it would be funny to put a cat in the 8" port and blast a 10Hz sine wave, but thats JENIUS!
post #8 of 44
Thread Starter 
a little aqward :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5u0...e=channel_page

free air 16Hz or 20Hz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKYkN...e=channel_page

bass i love you free air aprox 4.5 - 18 watts according to DMM... demo just to show 7Hz signal is lowest, not 18Hz in that track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equ_X...e=channel_page

DMM showing 5.7 volts during 7Hz tone, 6x6=36 watts/2 ohm= 18 watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHlU...e=channel_page

no more than 12 watts DMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xk4P...e=channel_page
post #9 of 44
That's a huge ass subwoofer! Those spokes behind it make it look like rims.
post #10 of 44
The project looks cool, but the car does not look cool. The Aztec is quite possibly the ugliest car ever produced. GM thought they would sell 75,000 (and produced that many) but they sold around 11,000 of them. I wonder what happened to the rest?
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

a little aqward :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5u0...e=channel_page

free air 16Hz or 20Hz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKYkN...e=channel_page

bass i love you free air aprox 4.5 - 18 watts according to DMM... demo just to show 7Hz signal is lowest, not 18Hz in that track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equ_X...e=channel_page

DMM showing 5.7 volts during 7Hz tone, 6x6=36 watts/2 ohm= 18 watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHlU...e=channel_page

no more than 12 watts DMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xk4P...e=channel_page


put a shirt on!
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

I'll try to keep it down to 120dB-130dB when they're present

You’ll end going deaf before mid age! And it’s not laughing matter ether.

A car is average 85 to 90dbc depending on the speed limit on the road which is average 55MPH if I’m not too mistaken in the USA.

You’ll feel plenty of vibration at that speed and making it loud in the car over the car levels SPL isn’t cool its unsound and you’ll end up with hearing difficulty and you’ll wonder why?
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

You'll end going deaf before mid age! And it's not laughing matter ether.

A car is average 85 to 90dbc depending on the speed limit on the road which is average 55MPH if I'm not too mistaken in the USA.

You'll feel plenty of vibration at that speed and making it loud in the car over the car levels SPL isn't cool its unsound and you'll end up with hearing difficulty and you'll wonder why?

I don't disagree that the proof is there, but I listened to SPL levels in the 120-130db range in my car for years, and I can still hear an 18,400hz tone without issues. I think my hearing range is slightly above average for my age. Maybe it will hit me later, but the pleasure I got from listening to my stereo that loud for years was well worth the potential damage I may have done for my later years.

My 2 cents. Why don't you keep yours to yourself for those of us that like it loud

-Chad
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I don't disagree that the proof is there, but I listened to SPL levels in the 120-130db range in my car for years, and I can still hear an 18,400hz tone without issues. I think my hearing range is slightly above average for my age. Maybe it will hit me later, but the pleasure I got from listening to my stereo that loud for years was well worth the potential damage I may have done for my later years.

My 2 cents. Why don't you keep yours to yourself for those of us that like it loud

-Chad

Or maybe you're just damn lucky one of few? But I wouldn't or shouldn't encourage people to go out and show-off.

Look mom I can play it at 150db and my, hearing isOuch!
Yeah threshold level has been exceeded!
post #15 of 44
Ok, why did you buy an Infinite Baffle sub, for non-IB use? I'm going to assume because it's cheaper than the Q18.
post #16 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 View Post

That's a huge ass subwoofer! Those spokes behind it make it look like rims.

I just can't wait for the 22"! I'm gonna play Ludacris over and over when he says "I can't lose with 22's, bitch, thats whats up!"

ROLL OUT!


lol
post #17 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

The project looks cool, but the car does not look cool. The Aztec is quite possibly the ugliest car ever produced. GM thought they would sell 75,000 (and produced that many) but they sold around 11,000 of them. I wonder what happened to the rest?

scrapped. I've only had 1 person say they like them, everyone detests them! All I can say, is sacrifice for BASS!
post #18 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

put a shirt on!



sorry about that
post #19 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

You'll end going deaf before mid age! And it's not laughing matter ether.

A car is average 85 to 90dbc depending on the speed limit on the road which is average 55MPH if I'm not too mistaken in the USA.

You'll feel plenty of vibration at that speed and making it loud in the car over the car levels SPL isn't cool its unsound and you'll end up with hearing difficulty and you'll wonder why?


what? hehehe... good thing I'm reading and not listening

keep in mind, 100dB at 1000Hz is quite different than 100dB at 20Hz... tweeters and midrange hurts a lot more, and that pounding thumping 40Hz-50Hz just plain hurts sometimes. I like ultra low, soft, smooth, fluffy base...


HAHAHAHAAH I can't believe I just said that out loud....
post #20 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I don't disagree that the proof is there, but I listened to SPL levels in the 120-130db range in my car for years, and I can still hear an 18,400hz tone without issues. I think my hearing range is slightly above average for my age. Maybe it will hit me later, but the pleasure I got from listening to my stereo that loud for years was well worth the potential damage I may have done for my later years.

My 2 cents. Why don't you keep yours to yourself for those of us that like it loud

-Chad

I've been wanting to start a thread purely based on hard data for years. Look at Steve Meade driving around like that all day. There are so many factros to take into account. You can't just say "85dB or less up to 8 hours, 120dB for 20 minutes at a time with 4 hour rests in between, and 145dB bursts of 20 seconds 4 times a day in a 24 hour period..."

frequency is a HUGE portion of all that
post #21 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Or maybe you're just damn lucky one of few? But I wouldn't or shouldn't encourage people to go out and show-off.

Look mom I can play it at 150db and my, hearing isOuch!
Yeah threshold level has been exceeded!


Keep in mind, I'm not playing all this full throttle... it is for headroom. If my speakers can handle 100 watts in general, but I have 300 on tap and only give them 75.... they are getting a super clean signal, and the amps don't have to try to do it. Plus when a big spike comes, it still doesn't have to put any effort into it. It's so that i can crank it super loud if I want and I'll still have good SQ and more headroom, but I won't have it that loud. 2 Extremis 6.4's would be plenty off a 350.4, but they will last longer, play more dynamically if I double up and ask 1/2 from them if that makes any sense at all
post #22 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Ok, why did you buy an Infinite Baffle sub, for non-IB use? I'm going to assume because it's cheaper than the Q18.

you assume incorrectly. I don't believe in "that's an SPL sub, that's made for vented because of it's EPB, and that's an IB woofer..." I bought it only because of it's Xmax and Fs. I preffered <20Hz Fs, but this sub is temporary until the 22" is completed.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

I've been wanting to start a thread purely based on hard data for years. Look at Steve Meade driving around like that all day. There are so many factros to take into account. You can't just say "85dB or less up to 8 hours, 120dB for 20 minutes at a time with 4 hour rests in between, and 145dB bursts of 20 seconds 4 times a day in a 24 hour period..."

frequency is a HUGE portion of all that

It is true that humans hear on a dynamic scale. As you stated 1000hz at 120db would hurt like hell, but 20hz at 120db sounds awesome. What I'm not so sure of from your above statement is the damage done. SPL stands for "sound pressure level" so while your perception of various frequencies is INDEED different, I would assume that the effect on the ear drum is not as dramatically different. It's a measure of pressure after all. If you have data or papers showing otherwise I would love to see them though
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

you assume incorrectly. I don't believe in "that's an SPL sub, that's made for vented because of it's EPB, and that's an IB woofer..." I bought it only because of it's Xmax and Fs. I preffered <20Hz Fs, but this sub is temporary until the 22" is completed.

Just an FYI, Exodus is looking into making a 21" version of the Mal-x. It's xmax will be greater than that of the IB3-22 with a similarly low fs, but a more robust motor, one which will handle more power; which is a must for the abusive car audio environment.
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

It is true that humans hear on a dynamic scale. As you stated 1000hz at 120db would hurt like hell, but 20hz at 120db sounds awesome. What I'm not so sure of from your above statement is the damage done. SPL stands for "sound pressure level" so while your perception of various frequencies is INDEED different, I would assume that the effect on the ear drum is not as dramatically different. It's a measure of pressure after all. If you have data or papers showing otherwise I would love to see them though

interesting you say that, because I was thinking it but didnt want to dive that far in.

I agree with you. Just because 7Hz at 160dB doesn't "sound" loud, I'm gonna guess prolonged exposure would rough things up a bit
post #26 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Just an FYI, Exodus is looking into making a 21" version of the Mal-x. It's xmax will be greater than that of the IB3-22 with a similarly low fs, but a more robust motor, one which will handle more power; which is a must for the abusive car audio environment.

yes sir, I've been talking to Scott from Fi and Kevin of Exodus extensovely on the matter

Scott:

Re: got my IB3 18, I want a 22"‏
From: IB Fi Audio (IB@FiCarAudio.com)
Sent: Mon 2/02/09 9:16 PM
To: Jordan Powell (kryptonitewhite@hotmail.com)

Sorry... we are still a ways out for the surround and cones for the 22s. I am not going to set a specific date for their release, but we are definitely working on things.
Nothing wrong with a Mini... I think they are a fun little car. But just a tough fit for a system, let alone a 22".


Thanks,
Scott
Fi Car Audio


Kevin:

Re: 21"‏
From: Kevin Haskins (diycable@olypen.com)
Sent: Mon 2/02/09 9:51 AM
To: Jordan Powell (kryptonitewhite@hotmail.com)

Jordan,

Nothing at this time. I'll have more information in a couple months.

Kevin Haskins
DIYCable Inc.
175 South Bay View Ave. Unit 23
Ph: 360-452-9373
www.diycable.com
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

Keep in mind, I'm not playing all this full throttle... it is for headroom. If my speakers can handle 100 watts in general, but I have 300 on tap and only give them 75.... they are getting a super clean signal, and the amps don't have to try to do it. Plus when a big spike comes, it still doesn't have to put any effort into it. It's so that i can crank it super loud if I want and I'll still have good SQ and more headroom, but I won't have it that loud. 2 Extremis 6.4's would be plenty off a 350.4, but they will last longer, play more dynamically if I double up and ask 1/2 from them if that makes any sense at all

I agree with headroom last thing what is the amplifier cracking up because It's ran out of steam, huff and puffing away.
post #28 of 44
Thread Starter 
Got some 8" sonotube. My piece is actually 7 3/4", they make 3 sizes of "8 inch" for shipping purposes.










post #29 of 44
Just curious but why isn't this in the car audio or DIY section at the very least? Not complaining but this forum is for home theater subwoofers.
post #30 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Just curious but why isn't this in the car audio or DIY section at the very least? Not complaining but this forum is for home theater subwoofers.

My bad, I thought I did... I wouldn't be opposed if a mod was so kind as to move it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Kryptonitewhite's PICS and VIDS build log Fi IB3 18" and 22"