I've been busy on more than the IB sub and since I've had a little free time lately have been making some good progress. Last week I pulled the trigger on ordering all the parts for a star ceiling. I decided to go with the more traditional light box from Cyr at Fosi
. Since I wanted an accurate star field I ordered their full size template which has all the star locations plotted on craft paper. I'll have approximately 570 Milky Way Stars and 261 twinkling constellation starts, two shooting stars and a comet. I ordered 5000 meters of fiber which I expect will keep me busy when it arrives! The total size of the star field will be 10'x20' with a 2' "beam" crossing above the bar so that I can mount some additional lights and hang the projector. I'll document the build process as I go but I special ordered five 4'x10' ultralight MDF panels from my local lumbar yard which will be used to hang the ceiling.
Anyway back to real progress... while waiting for the star ceiling supplies I couldn't decided on what to do next .. stage, riser, soffits, stage, riser soffits, stage... it took me a whole hour to decided on the riser
The riser is decoupled from the theater walls and so I was able to build it a little way from the back wall and then slide into place. Whilst framing I wanted to keep the possibility of using the riser as a base trap open and so framed so I had two large joist bays at the sides and poked a few vent holes into other bays. I realize there is no calculation here but I thought these couple extra steps might keep my option open. It certainly can't hurt.
Once complete I slide it into place and used some 3/8" foam to ensure separation from the walls.
Since my riser is only 6" high (there is an additional 6" step in the concrete floor) and my lumbar was pretty green I didn't want to run the risk of having it warp whilst drying so I anchored the four corners to the concrete.
Then the fill. The 12" platform at the rear is designed as a rear sub stand and thus it and the surrounding area is filled with sand whilst the rest of the riser get the pink fluffy treatment.
All the line voltage runs are in, but I haven't decided on exactly what hook ups I want at the bar or exactly where to place them. Besides I don't have all my wires ordered yet. Therefore I'm taking a retrofit approach... I coiled up some romex in the general area I want outlets and ran 2" tubing for other hook ups in the neighboring joist bay. I photographed a tape measure so I accurately documented the location prior installing the 3/4" CDX T&G plywood.
Done. When almost... I haven't finished the front of the riser which will have a curved profile because I need to precisely work out the seating positions. Therefore I've only installed a single deck layer. I will add another with GG separation later.
Literally as I was screwing down the last sheet my special order ultralight MDF arrived. Here it is, 10' long and still lighter than a regular 4x8 sheet. I really wanted to get hold of some 5x10 sheets (which I know exist) but could not find anyone locally who would/could order them.