My star ceiling parts arrived this week as expected and put a big smile on my face. I've been waiting for this part of the build for some time.
The illuminator was created for me by Fosi and will allow the installation of two shooting stars and a comet. One of the advantages of this disc system over the LED modules (IMHO) is that it has an analog feel to it.
Each fiber is installed into a separate hole in the illuminator and and light variation (for the twinkle effect) migrates over every fiber.
Anyway before running the fiber I need to get the panels made out of the ultralight MDF sheets. The plan is to create 5 separate panels at the full 10' width and suspend them from the ceiling to cover a 10'x20' area. Cutting the ceiling in two will be a beam/soffit that will carry the projector at a favourable throw distance and allow me to put some lighting directly above the bar.
Adjoining edges will have biscuits installed to ensure the faces are alligned and a compression system will be fitted at either end to ensure the seams are tight. The front couple of panels will house some acoustic treatment so I will need to cover all the panels in some AT fabric.
The panel mounting system I'm using is from Fosi and consists of interlocking extrusions -- one hung on the panel and the other directly on the ceiling.
First the extrusion is fitted to the ceiling:
Then short pieces of extrusion is fitted to the panel. To minimise the space behind the panel I'm bolting the extrusion directly rather than the suggested glued on block.
The location of the hook points is chosen so as to avoid conflict with the (accurate) starfield artwork.
To avoid metal on metal contact I glued a short length of split rubber pipe to the hooks (I discovered I needed this after a trial fitting):
And after a little persuasion I got my wife to help lift the panel into pace for a trial run:
When I talked to bpape about this construction he was a little concerned about a triple leaf effect.
I'm hoping that the 1.5" gap all around each panel and the fact that the larger front section will have holes for acoustic treatment will provide sufficient venting.