Well I got well and truly bogged down in this star ceiling. I now understand why the pre made panels are so expensive -- it is a very time consuming and tedious effort. To relieve the boredom of wiring the final panel I'm posting a few more pics showing the detailing of construction including the embedded acoustic panels.
First job was to cut out the reflection points for the first two rows of seating. The cut out area in each panel is approximately 12" x 8'.
Then using a template I carefully cut the 1" oc703 board and carefully fitted into the cut outs trimming where necessary. I think the secret to getting a flush fit is not to play with the oc703 too much. Once bruised the piece is pretty much ruined.
Once the inlays were completely flush I flipped the panel over and hot-glued the inside seam.
Now all the panels were covered in GOM 701 fabric. I used 3M Super-77 spray adhesive to ensure the cloth would lay flat and never wrinkle or sag. The edges were finished the same way -- I didn't use any staples.
I fitted a compression screw system to the two outermost panels to allow the biscuit joints to be closed tight once all the panels were hung. This is simple a t-nut and 1/4" carriage bolt.
Then the wiring began. Here is my patented quad-barrel dispenser
And after a few hours of work here is the result on the first panel. I used the cutouts (which I had already drilled) as a guide for locating the fibers in the oc703 panels. It took a bit more effort getting the fibers to pass straight through the fiberglass and I found that starting the hole with a hard point helped the fibers run straight (this was important with the shooting star alignment). After all the fiber was run and the shooting star sequences marked I used epoxy to glue each fiber in its hole. This worked great on the oc703.
When it came time to hang the panel I realized I had a problem -- the hook system required that the panel be kept very flat. The solution: my entry for the ghetto tools contest -- doctor my drywall lift into a star panel lifter. The mushrooms prevented the bending of any of the fibers, which had not yet been cut.
A bit more pink stuff behind the panel for good measure.
And the first panel was hung. Phew!
I have four panels up now with one more to go, then I need to wire up then other ends to the illuminator, trim the fiber ends and promise myself that I'll never build such a large star ceiling again
. More pics when the lights are actually turned on!