I'm back and about to bore you all with my latest updates! Aside from being sick for over a month my HT project unintentionally EXPANDED a little... you see I was waiting to get the carpet installed when I started thinking about the whole experience of watching a movie and wanted to find a way to integrate the theater with the rest of the house. Part of the idea was to use the same theater carpet in the form of a runner leading guests down the stairs (they only lead to the theater and garage). Of course, to install the runner I needed to finish the stairs in hardwood. But then if I was finishing the stairs I thought I should really continue the hardwood to the room above the theater. The thing is I didn't really like the stairwell, so before I could get approval from the wife, I gutted it, pulled down a bunch of drywall to run new pool table and accent lights, and soon had another big distraction...
So that's the story and here is the photo journal of what unfolded. BTW it does include some inside the HT work ;-)
It started with the creation of a step entrance to the theater. I finished this will a curved walnut trim made in the same way as the stage/riser and also added a walnut threshold. In my habitual over engineering manner I firmly glued and screwed this in place. The next day I fitted the threshold seal to the door and turned on the A/C. I was greeted with a loud whistling sound emanating from the step -- I realized that in my plan to avoid direct coupling of the step with the theater I had forgotten to seal a half inch gap under the riser floor. S**t I spent a good 4 hours gently prizing the step loose so I could properly seal and refit.
The next job was to finish up the bar returns. In my haste I forget to check that I could obtain 5" ply half rounds (they are only available in 4" and 6" diameters). I persuaded my local HD to give me a 4.5" thick cardboard carpet roll thinking I could spring it out to 5" -- no chance, that thing was like concrete. In the end I used some 8" Sonotubes which was cut and glued to a form seen here. Sonotubes are a pain because they are waxed and coated with plastic on the inside so need to be well sanded for the glue to stick.
After Bondo and filler I got a nice smooth profile ready for veneering.
I wanted a vertical grain in the bar so had to cut and join the veneer pieces together. I'd never done this before but the process was very straight forward although the thought of ruining a $100 piece of veneer kept my concentration. The front side was joined with blue tape and on the rear I used some (thin) regular paper tape to keep the joins tight.
After gluing the blue tape is easily removed and hopefully the pieces are tight together.
Between coats of shellac and poly on the bar I started to gut the upstairs room (bar).
Tear down (much of the ceiling was also also ripped out)
Now (but I'm getting ahead of the story!)