or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercitylad View Post

With the video processing taken out of the projector, how could the new Lumis fan noise be louder than the C3X?

Your making an equivalence that doesn't actually apply. The Lumis is fundamentally different to the C3X1080. You, therefore, cant necessarily draw that comparison

There are a couple of possible of reasons for increased fan noise. The serial units had their cooling upgraded so that's a possible cause. It could also simply be a loud fan in that machine, and is not indicative of the model.
post #32 of 1953
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Phil, You said the PJ is "very bright, as expected", but that your lumen number is lower than ours was. Where are you on the throw? If you are near min zoom, you number will be less than max.

Mine ranged from 1500-2000 depending on lamp and manual iris, but that was only measured at max zoom. Those are with the ISCOIII out. With ISCOIII in, the light loss is 2%.

Alan's numbers included the min zoom, so he ranged from 1050 (min lamp, min zoom, iris closed) all they way to 2240 at max zoom and max lamp. His min zoom/max lamp was 1400.

I hope to do more measurements later this weekend, at different zooms.
post #33 of 1953
CM, Hope you are right that Free just has a loud machine.
post #34 of 1953
I am picturing myself in your theater Free. Ok, well actually I am picturing your Sim2 Lumis in my theater room, but you know what I mean. I hope you enjoy the show on that puppy. Nice to see that a few folks are getting their hands on them. I know this projector will rock once it is dialed in.
post #35 of 1953
HI PHIL

I noticed in your supplied picture (first post on this thread),that the LUMIS lens,appears farther to the left (facing projector)than the RS 2O. Surely both of the projectors can not be aimed exactly at the center of your screen. If that is the case,is either one of them being slightly compromised, by using the horizontal lens shift on one of them (I believe the RS20 has such a capability, however I thought the LUMIS did not, so I am presuming the LUMIS is the one that is positioned so the lens is aiming at the center of your screen).

CHEERS, TC
post #36 of 1953
Ash..... Did you get yours?
post #37 of 1953
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJAZZZ View Post

HI PHIL

I noticed in your supplied picture (first post on this thread),that the LUMIS lens,appears farther to the left (facing projector)than the RS 2O. Surely both of the projectors can not be aimed exactly at the center of your screen. If that is the case,is either one of them being slightly compromised, by using the horizontal lens shift on one of them (I believe the RS20 has such a capability, however I thought the LUMIS did not, so I am presuming the LUMIS is the one that is positioned so the lens is aiming at the center of your screen).

CHEERS, TC

The picture is kind of deceiving, since my theater is not exactly square, and the screen is at an angle, as is the back wall. I am also using two different screens for each projector, so the alignment is slightly different for each screen. I am not using horizontal lens shift for the Lumis, the RS20 has some, but I have not noticed, or measured a difference in PQ with the small amount I am using.
post #38 of 1953
Jeff,
My projector is not here yet.... the T3 are specially delayed, I am told it will be here next week or the week after.
Will post once it is installed.
Ash.
post #39 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

My initial impressions are very good. Blacks are on par with RS20, while bright scenes have tremendous depth and clarity. Very bright as is expected.

Downsides, typical cumbersome Sim2 Remote, menu's and Host implementation. Fan noise quite a bit more than I had expected, must have to do with the new cooling upgrades.

Hi Phil,

I'd be interested in what you think of the contrast of the Lumis compared to the RS20.
post #40 of 1953
I think that has already been covered by in earlier threads.
post #41 of 1953
Thread Starter 
It has, and after spending several hours tonight comparing the two, I would have to concurr with the previous observations. It is really uncanny how the dynamic black works. Because it is a frame by frame analysis, and source dependent, the better the source, the deeper the blacks get. This is something I don't see on the RS20, as the source improves, the RS20 does not, so the blacks start looking muddy in comparison. The Sim2, can look comparable with middle of the road material, but look at a something like Underworld Evolutions, or Wanted (which I watched tonight) and the blacks get so deep it is really stunning.
post #42 of 1953
Phil, I wasn't just referring to the blacks - I have no doubt they are stunning. I'm wondering how, say, medium to bright colors look, saturation levels etc in comparison - or put it this way - is there any aspect of the RS20 that the Lumis doesn't improve on?

I'm just looking for your objective observation as I've seen the RS20 but not the Lumis.
post #43 of 1953
Thread Starter 
I would have to say that the answer to your question is No, there is no area where the RS20 is not improved upon by the Lumis. The colors look much more realistic to me than the JVC, but I can't say I am an expert at making the JVC have accurate colors, so it is possible that my RS20 could look better in the color department. Anyway, the Lumis colors look nicely saturated, without looking unrealistic.
post #44 of 1953
Thanks, Phil.
post #45 of 1953
Phil will you be posting any screenshots in the near future of the Lumis and RS20? Thanks Greg
post #46 of 1953
Phil:

1. Curious to know the light output without any zoom (short end of throw - max light output) with T3 lens. Would like to verify that you are getting over 2K..

2. On high lamp mode, what are you measuring for sound at 3 ft??


Thanks for the effort!
post #47 of 1953
Thread Starter 
Jeff, I have a T2, and I am holding off on talking about lumen measurements until I verify some things later this coming week.

As for sound level, my meter only goes down to 50db, so I can not measure anything at 3 feet. I am going to look for a better sound meter so that I can give accurate measurements on this.
post #48 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Jeff, I have a T2, and I am holding off on talking about lumen measurements until I verify some things later this coming week.

As for sound level, my meter only goes down to 50db, so I can not measure anything at 3 feet. I am going to look for a better sound meter so that I can give accurate measurements on this.

I see.. So, it is below 50 db at 3 ft...? If so, I'd be OK.

Thanks!
post #49 of 1953
Thread Starter 
I would say so. It is hard to tell with my Rat Shack meter, but the needle might start to budge at about 2 feet, C weighted Fast response.
post #50 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

I would say so. It is hard to tell with my Rat Shack meter, but the needle might start to budge at about 2 feet, C weighted Fast response.

Very good. That is quiet enough for me.. Thanks!
post #51 of 1953
Jeff,
Would this noise level be equal to the Qualia or more?
Thanks.
Ash
post #52 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Jeff,
Would this noise level be equal to the Qualia or more?
Thanks.
Ash

I don't think there is a projector lower in noise than the Qualia.. It is virtually silent. But.. if Phil is not picking up anything higher than 50 dbs, that would likely be 'quiet enough' for most any installation (short of it being overhead).

Ash, you are using a T3, right?? I'd like it if your installer could meaure max light output post calibration. (I'm sure you'd like to know as well).

Looking forward to your install.
post #53 of 1953
Jeff,
Isn't there any way to isolate the projector a bit. I'd hate to see anyone give up on a projector this good because it was a little louder or the case looked my behind for that matter.What it puts on the screen is the main thing.

Art
post #54 of 1953
Jeff,
When I saw the Lumis at CES I heard the noise level to be equivalent to the Qualia (Subjectively without measurement). The Lumis would very well be as quiet as the Qualia even though it has 5 fans inside.
I will be running mine at low lamp close Iris as I expect enough foot lamberts (as per my excel sheet) for my 12 foot Cinecurve fire hawk perforated.
Will get measurements on lamp low, high and iris open close.
I will be at the short end of T3 which is great.
Expect installation within 10 days barring any surprises.
Ash
post #55 of 1953
Thread Starter 
Art, if you look at my picture, on the left side you see a folded piece of acoustical foam. Since I sit to the left side of the projector, the fan noise from the left is loudest, and bouncing it off this waffle foam helps quite a bit.
post #56 of 1953
Phil

What mount were you able to use for the Lumis? My understanding is that the Lumis chief mounts are not ready yet, a surprising oversight.
post #57 of 1953
Thread Starter 
It is a Chief Universal.
post #58 of 1953
Mine hung great with a Chief Universal as well.
post #59 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

It has, and after spending several hours tonight comparing the two, I would have to concurr with the previous observations. It is really uncanny how the dynamic black works. Because it is a frame by frame analysis, and source dependent, the better the source, the deeper the blacks get. This is something I don't see on the RS20, as the source improves, the RS20 does not, so the blacks start looking muddy in comparison. The Sim2, can look comparable with middle of the road material, but look at a something like Underworld Evolutions, or Wanted (which I watched tonight) and the blacks get so deep it is really stunning.

Here is what I wrote about Wanted on my RS20. It seems that when I wrote how it wasn't anything special to look at, I should have been watching it on a Lumis.
post #60 of 1953
I'd be really curious to hear how people feel the Lumis is performing compared to other projectors that it should be compared to...everyone keeps talking about the RS20...anyone got any feedback on how it performs compared to, say, its predecessor (C3X 1080)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread