or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › [UK] The Prisoner - Complete Series (1967) Coming to Blu-Ray April 27th-
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[UK] The Prisoner - Complete Series (1967) Coming to Blu-Ray April 27th- - Page 2

post #31 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can't imagine a television show shot on 16mm 40 years ago is going to be worth purchasing on an HD format.

The 1995 PRIDE AND PREJUDICE series was 16mm and the Blu-ray is a big step up from the previous DVDs. The DVDs were perhaps particularly pathetic.

-Bill
post #32 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can't imagine a television show shot on 16mm 40 years ago is going to be worth purchasing on an HD format.

Then I'd say you should exercise your imagination more. I've seen screenshots of the remastered image compared with what the U.S. DVDs look like, and the difference is nearly unfathomable. A colossal improvement.
post #33 of 149
The Prisoner was shot in 35mm not 16mm.
post #34 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Then I'd say you should exercise your imagination more. I've seen screenshots of the remastered image compared with what the U.S. DVDs look like, and the difference is nearly unfathomable. A colossal improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can't imagine a television show shot on 16mm 40 years ago is going to be worth purchasing on an HD format.

I can't imagine how much better the Blu-ray UK Network version will be over the standard DVD Network version because as it stands now that Network DVD is truly outstanding. They really did a wonderful job* with the remastering.

*except where they screwed up the sound on one episode which can be easily worked through.
post #35 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onrd View Post

The Prisoner was shot in 35mm not 16mm.

I thought I had read that myself, have no source to point too however.

Wasn't Night of the Living Dead shot in 16mm?
post #36 of 149
Night of the Living Dead (1968) was shot in 35mm as well. www.imdb.com is a good source of this technical info.
post #37 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onrd View Post

The Prisoner was shot in 35mm not 16mm.

Maybe you're right. Maybe ITC didn't mind the expense of 35mm production. The BBC on the other hand shot 16mm exclusively since the early-60's since the extra resolution was a waste. As they convert to HD (still in progress) they're skipping 35mm and going straight to HD video because 35mm production is just too expensive.

IMDB is not very accurate about the production of older television shows. "35mm spherical" is just the default for technical specs. It says that some BBC series from the mid-70s were shot on 35mm when the BBC had already banned the format.

Don't compare 16mm features shot ten years ago from those shot forty years ago. It's not the same stuff. The resolution of film has increased many times over the decades, especially after the development of tabular grain emulsions. That's why Kodak scientists have been releasing a new film stock every year or two for decades.
post #38 of 149
Even if it was shot on 16mm the release could be a very significant step up in detail. 1080p resolution is about enough to almost completely resolve the resolution of 16mm film - it means that, due to the nature of the filmstock used it'll likely be a grainy release but if done well it shouldn't show any compression artifacts or digital noise that grainy film often causes in regular SD-DVD presentations.
post #39 of 149
I never upgraded from the A&E original DVDs to the Network set, so it's bound to be loads better than what I have now. Those A&E discs were nice, but had many annoying artifacts. I saw the smearing when I first watched them on my old 32" Toshiba.

If the A&E set uses the same files and extras as Network, I'll get the USA set. If not, and if the Network set is region-free, I'll get it.

Doug
post #40 of 149
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Pri...e-Series/12480

-Bill
post #41 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanjc View Post

Even if it was shot on 16mm the release could be a very significant step up in detail. 1080p resolution is about enough to almost completely resolve the resolution of 16mm film

Even today's HD productions that shoot on super-16mm look soft. In fact the BBC refuses to shoot HD shows on 16mm.

The 16mm stocks of today are much higher resolution than the stocks from forty years ago. Most American television producers refused to shoot on 16mm because they considered it too soft even for NTSC broadcasts. They only used it reluctantly when they couldn't afford 35mm.
post #42 of 149
I believe the American series remake begins airing sometime in November, so it makes sense that the HD release of the original series would be around that time. As some may already know, a theatrical feature (unrelated to the new AMC series) has also been in development for a while, possibly for a 2012 release. At one time, Tim Roth was up for the role, though I have no idea of the current status.
post #43 of 149
Many years ago I saw some stills supposedly taken from the 35mm original film for "The Prisoner" that indicated the show was shot in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Any indication whether the restorations for Blu-Ray might reflect this?
post #44 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Many years ago I saw some stills supposedly taken from the 35mm original film for "The Prisoner" that indicated the show was shot in the 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Any indication whether the restorations for Blu-Ray might reflect this?

Doing a Google search turns up some other references to it being shot on 35mm. But I don't think a (matted) 1.66:1 AR would have made much sense as it was shot for 1960s television. I would guess they shot full 35mm frame (1.37:1) and any HD transfer today would follow that ratio, which is exactly what happened recently with Star Trek: The Original Series.
post #45 of 149
Not a fan of the U.S. cover art at all; if I wasn't already a fan of the show, that godawful color scheme would really turn me off to it. The UK's is strikingly better.
post #46 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Not a fan of the U.S. cover art at all; if I wasn't already a fan of the show, that godawful color scheme would really turn me off to it. The UK's is strikingly better.

Indeed. Yet another good reason to go w/ the Network set. The only weird thing about Network's box is the odd size. How will it fit on a regular DVD shelf?

Doug
post #47 of 149
By the way, this is back up again today as a preorder w/ price and date at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C68WOG

Personally, I think I'm going to have to wait until post-release to see how the US vs. UK transfers shake out, but it's wonderful that this is being put out at all and I'll certainly be picking up one or the other.
post #48 of 149
I am going UK for that boss cover art and for the price

post #49 of 149
Hmmm. I'm locked into Amazon's old preorder price of $50.99 and also have a preorder at Amazon.uk for $61 for the Network set. Hope we can get some early reviews on this forum so I can cancel the less favorable set. (Cover art is not a big deal to me.)
post #50 of 149
I just preordered the UK set for GBP40.45 (including shipping to the USA). That's actually cheaper than the US set. Hopefully, I'll find out if it's region-locked or has PAL extras before it's too late to cancel the order.

Doug
post #51 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer View Post

Doing a Google search turns up some other references to it being shot on 35mm.

Yes, it looks like ITC shot all of their television series on 35mm like American production companies did, unlike the BBC which switched to 16mm to save money.
post #52 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I just preordered the UK set for GBP40.45 (including shipping to the USA). That's actually cheaper than the US set. Hopefully, I'll find out if it's region-locked or has PAL extras before it's too late to cancel the order.

Doug

Ditto!
post #53 of 149
Is there any information about optional English subtitle for UK or US release?
post #54 of 149
I still haven't cancelled my Network order, but today I noticed that the US A&E set is down to $50 USD. I went ahead and preordered it as well.

At some point I'm going to have to decide! Unless I get a multi-region player, I'll need to cancel the Network set, but I sure would rather have it and its extras.

Doug (cross-posting this on blu-ray.com & avs forum)
post #55 of 149
Doug,

Do you know for a fact that the Network set has more extras than the A&E set or are you just assuming this due to how the older DVD sets were put together?

gonda,

Remains to be seen. The DVD sets did not have subtitles.
post #56 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Doug,

Do you know for a fact that the Network set has more extras than the A&E set or are you just assuming this due to how the older DVD sets were put together?

Franchot, it's partly based upon the older sets, but also based upon Amazon's info. The Network set is listed as 6 discs, while the A&E set is 5. Of course, without the manufacturers posting any details on their own websites, we don't know if the Amazon info is correct.

Also, based upon the DVD sets, we know the Network transfers look much nicer, so I'm assuming it will be the same w/ the BDs. I hope I'm wrong...

Doug
post #57 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can't imagine a television show shot on 16mm 40 years ago is going to be worth purchasing on an HD format.

Worked great for Star Trek TOS. But I guess that was shot on 35mm?
post #58 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Worked great for Star Trek TOS. But I guess that was shot on 35mm?

Yes.
post #59 of 149
Network DVD now have it on their website, and they confirm that it's Region B:

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...sid=447e4bf891 6c95575219960ccf63d8df
post #60 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Network DVD now have it on their website, and they confirm that it's Region B:

Fixed URL:
http://www.networkdvd.net/product_in...roducts_id=970

That kind of sucks if true, since it'd be nice to have the option to import from the UK if the A&E release proves inferior. With that being said, studios/distributor websites are frequently the least reliable sources for their own technical specs and the "back of the box" is often sketchy as well, so there might yet be hope for an unlocked release.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › [UK] The Prisoner - Complete Series (1967) Coming to Blu-Ray April 27th-