or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › KRP-500M or Pioneer PRO 111FD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KRP-500M or Pioneer PRO 111FD? - Page 3

post #61 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

The cable box is the tuner, so your setup would work just fine with the 500M. You would need a tuner in the tv, for example, if you wanted to watch tv without the use of a cablebox. The 500M does not have an internal tuner so you will always need to use some sort of external OTA, satellite, or cable tuner (like a cablebox) in order to watch television with it.

Thank you very much for the helpful answer.
post #62 of 99
Little confused here.

Let me make this clear. 500m has no speaker and no internal tv tuner, am i right?If I stick with cable box, that would be a problem unless I am using antenna to watch tv
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy115 View Post

Little confused here.

Let me make this clear. 500m has no speaker and no internal tv tuner, am i right?If I stick with cable box, that would be a problem unless I am using antenna to watch tv


500M has no internal tuner thus it needs cable or dish to watch TV. It also lacks speakers and a stand but both can be bought on ebay for a relatively low price.
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

500M has no internal tuner thus it needs cable or dish to watch TV. It also lacks speakers and a stand but both can be bought on ebay for a relatively low price.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated
post #65 of 99
I use no back lighting with my 111FD and it doesn't take much (maybe 50% darkness in content) to make the bezel appear darker than the screen. I wonder how big of an improvement the 500M would provide.
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I use no back lighting with my 111FD and it doesn't take much (maybe 50% darkness in content) to make the bezel appear darker than the screen. I wonder how big of an improvement the 500M would provide.

Are we talking black bars? I swear my 111 might be a freak then again my eyes are not as young as they used to be.
post #67 of 99
I currently have a PRO-111FD. I do not use the speakers, I do not use the pedestal, as my TV is wall mounted.

Given that, do you think it would be in my favor to sell my 111fd for a 500m (even trade it terms of $$$$)

I'm thinking about doing it, as it won't cost me a dime in difference.
post #68 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

Are we talking black bars? I swear my 111 might be a freak then again my eyes are not as young as they used to be.

Not if the majority of the screen between said black bars is lit...only when that is predominately dark can I see where the black bars and the bezel meet.
post #69 of 99
Trying to minimize remotes for the wife, so the 4 HDMI inputs are a nice feature of the 111. We have two HD DVRs (his and hers) and a BD player, so need at least 3 inputs. Maybe a HDMI switcher for BD and my DVR as she will only watch hers....things to consider.
post #70 of 99
Is there a difference between Pioneer KRP500 and Pioneer KRP-500M or is it a typo at Vanns?
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Is there a difference between Pioneer KRP500 and Pioneer KRP-500M or is it a typo at Vanns?

vanns is selling the Pioneer KRP 500M.
post #72 of 99
Now that I own both, I was able to do a comparison between the two. Although my 500M is still in the break-in process, I can see that the black level of the 500M is definitely darker in a totally black room. However, with some ambient lighting present, it's harder to tell. This is IMO. Maybe I just don't have the eagle eyes of a certain reputable professional calibrator. :-P
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactionG View Post

Now that I own both, I was able to do a comparison between the two. Although my 500M is still in the break-in process, I can see that the black level of the 500M is definitely darker in a totally black room. However, with some ambient lighting present, it's harder to tell. This is IMO. Maybe I just don't have the eagle eyes of a certain reputable professional calibrator. :-P

If you are speaking of me, I said the same thing a long time ago
post #74 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

If you are speaking of me, I said the same thing a long time ago

post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

Thanks. I have a 111 and I get the shakes when I hear other people's sets are darker.

lol. Do people really believe they are darker? Who started that rumor?
post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactionG View Post

Now that I own both, I was able to do a comparison between the two. Although my 500M is still in the break-in process, I can see that the black level of the 500M is definitely darker in a totally black room.

Sure bud.
post #77 of 99
Rumor? I've had both in my livingroom. The 500M has a lower black level.
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Sure bud.

Have you seen the 500m and the 111 side-by-side such to refute the difference that Faction noted?
post #79 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

Have you seen the 500m and the 111 side-by-side such to refute the difference that Faction noted?

Of course not
post #80 of 99
Well I should have my hands on a 500M by Saturday afternoon. Before the 111 gets bedroom duty (a little weird sounding, I know) I will have them set up side by side for a bit. I will end the debate . . . at least in my head.
post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

Well I should have my hands on a 500M by Saturday afternoon. Before the 111 gets bedroom duty (a little weird sounding, I know) I will have them set up side by side for a bit. I will end the debate . . . at least in my head.

Just throw in a movie with plenty of dark scenes (i.e. Watchmen) and it should become pretty obvious.
post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

Rumor? I've had both in my livingroom. The 500M has a lower black level.


You sure the 500m did not have blotches that are usually very apparent on a new kuro compared to a broken in 111 that might be the difference?
post #83 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

Well I should have my hands on a 500M by Saturday afternoon


Don't forget to get the patch for that
post #84 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

You sure the 500m did not have blotches that are usually very apparent on a new kuro compared to a broken in 111 that might be the difference?

Both sets were ramped up to 150 hours within a few days for calibration purposes (I'm impatient). Neither were afflicted by the "blotching" phenomenon.

The MLL of the 500M is noticeably superior in dim lighting or complete darkness. I noticed exactly the same thing at the AV store down the road when they had a 500M set up in a room next to a 151 and 141.
post #85 of 99
So pioneer uses different tech in the m series that they kept 'secret', and did not advertise a improvement? Is this improvement stated in any literature? We know pioneer touted 5times better blacks in the 9g's vs the 8g's, but said nothing on the m series?
post #86 of 99
I would imagine that they didn't want to cripple sales of their remaining stock of 111s by advertising a new and improved model. Oh, and it costs less, too.

But I can only speculate.
post #87 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

So pioneer uses different tech in the m series that they kept 'secret', and did not advertise a improvement? Is this improvement stated in any literature? We know pioneer touted 5times better blacks in the 9g's vs the 8g's, but said nothing on the m series?

I believe D-Nice confirmed that some of the 10g tech found it's way into the M's and 101's, since they were the last models to roll out.

It was out there for a while before anyone thought to do a side-by-side comparison. I believe it was elite-home who first brought it to everyone's attention.
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Sure bud.

post #89 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

Like I said, it depends on the source. If it's a 1080i/p source, the blacks are completely dark and match the bezel. If it's an older 480i source, the blacks sometimes do not melt into the bezel and look a bit lighter. BD titles always have full blacks that match the bezel. Here's a 1080p picture I took using output from my PC:




At the time I took this picture, the TV wasn't even calibrated so it looks even better now. It was taken using an old camera so in reality it looks quite nicer in person.

To further the speculation . . .

I've been looking for this post by you. If I were to pop that up my my 500M (As it stands right now) now way would the surrounding blackness be . . . well . . . bezel black. So we are talking a completely darkened room?
post #90 of 99
I can get a open box 111fd without TV stand for $1800. Should I buy it or KRP-500m? Your advice is appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › KRP-500M or Pioneer PRO 111FD?