or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

that Denon DVD-3800BDCI is a superb BluRay/DVD/CD player, I owned one. Has very good DAC's, and combined with AL24, yield's very nice analog sound for BluRay and DVD surround and 2ch CD sources. Especially going through your C2 processor analog INP's.
In comparison, generally speaking, I think the AV7005 yields good analog sound for, both, multi chan INP's and 2ch stereo (PURE/DIRECT modes), but maybe not as refined as what your C2 may provide. However for movie surround Audyssey is superb sounding on the AV7005, also music is nice via-HDMI (SACD's, etc.,...).

I've got a Denon 1930ci connected to a P7 via analogue and to a HK AVR3600 via coax.
Then a Macbook Pro to the P7 for 96/24.
The Denon produces better audio than any CD player I ever had.
Although with DVD-A/SACD some of the discs do not put the center channel to very good use.
But with HK's L7, CDs, LPs, iTunes is output to all channels superbly.
Plus I love the ease of use and flexibility of the P7.
post #1232 of 3357
4DHD, thanks for the info. Can you be more specific what your problem was with the device? Mine has a weird problem:

If I switch on the unit on the back panel, and leave it on standby, after a while it starts giving some clicking noise, like a relay sound from the insidd with a 1-2 Hz frequency. And it wont stop, until you switch it off on the back panel. But sometimes it just comes along when switched on while listening to music, but then the clicking noise comes from the speakers too (and one or two channels are muted ) . And on other occasions, it just won't be able to turn on. It was really annoying.
post #1233 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugu_s View Post

4DHD, thanks for the info. Can you be more specific what your problem was with the device? Mine has a weird problem:
If I switch on the unit on the back panel, and leave it on standby, after a while it starts giving some clicking noise, like a relay sound from the insidd with a 1-2 Hz frequency. And it wont stop, until you switch it off on the back panel. But sometimes it just comes along when switched on while listening to music, but then the clicking noise comes from the speakers too (and one or two channels are muted ) . And on other occasions, it just won't be able to turn on. It was really annoying.

Of coarse, we are talking to different animals, C2, P7. I never had any clicking sound. It would turn on sometimes and sometimes not.
And when it did turn on, it would only give enough time to make one input change or volume change. Then it would lock up. So I got to the point of leaving it on, so I would have at least one input I could use. Sometimes rotating the multi-function knob left/right really fast would unlock it and then able to make a change. Other times not.

Richard told me over the last two months they figured it was the crimping of the wires to the metal pads inside the plastic connection pieces that was the problem.
post #1234 of 3357
Thanks, I will tell them this story, maybe the same problem produces a different error, who knows. I just hate when I have to send my unit in for weeks, I can't live without my music / movies...
post #1235 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugu_s View Post

4DHD, thanks for the info. Can you be more specific what your problem was with the device? Mine has a weird problem:
If I switch on the unit on the back panel, and leave it on standby, after a while it starts giving some clicking noise, like a relay sound from the insidd with a 1-2 Hz frequency. And it wont stop, until you switch it off on the back panel. But sometimes it just comes along when switched on while listening to music, but then the clicking noise comes from the speakers too (and one or two channels are muted ) . And on other occasions, it just won't be able to turn on. It was really annoying.
That sounds like the same problem I experienced with my C-2. I'd turn it on and after about a minute or so it would start clicking and finally shut down. It wound up being the power supply.
post #1236 of 3357
Thanks, thats "good" news, at least the fact that someone had this problem, and they were able to fix it. Do you remember how much the Powersupply cost, or in your case was it covered under warranty!?
post #1237 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugu_s View Post

Thanks, thats "good" news, at least the fact that someone had this problem, and they were able to fix it. Do you remember how much the Powersupply cost, or in your case was it covered under warranty!?
Covered under warranty. This seemed to be a somewhat common problem with early units from what I read in the Parasound's C-2 thread. Again, call or e-mail Parasound. They are a real nice, helpful bunch of folks and chances are that if you e-mail them, you will likely get a reply from the owner of the company, Richard Schram. Like Oppo, I rate them "A-1" in customer service
post #1238 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Covered under warranty. This seemed to be a somewhat common problem with early units from what I read in the Parasound's C-2 thread. Again, call or e-mail Parasound. They are a real nice, helpful bunch of folks and chances are that if you e-mail them, you will likely get a reply from the owner of the company, Richard Schram. Like Oppo, I rate them "A-1" in customer service

^^^^+1. First they send the part they thought was causing my problem, to the repair shop here. Then when they figured it was the wire harness, they sent it to me to replace. Which took less than a minute.
post #1239 of 3357
My new Parasound Halo A31 amplifier arrived today. As soon as I put in in service, I could hear the next level in sound quality coming from my B&W speakers. Its sound is smooth, crystal clear and not at all fatiguing at higher volumes. I plan to run Audssey tomorrow and make some fine tuning adjustments.
It sounds so good I can hardly stand it!
post #1240 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

My new Parasound Halo A31 amplifier arrived today. As soon as I put in in service, I could hear the next level in sound quality coming from my B&W speakers. Its sound is smooth, crystal clear and not at all fatiguing at higher volumes. I plan to run Audssey tomorrow and make some fine tuning adjustments.
It sounds so good I can hardly stand it!

What was your old amp?
post #1241 of 3357
Hey guys... Interesting quick question. The A51 is 3000Watts. If I use it 4 hours a day with an avg of 8.6 cents per Kwh, does an energy bill of $375 a year make sense? That's a lot!
post #1242 of 3357
I had the same experience with my A21 when it replaced an Emotiva XPA-3(one channel idle for 2 channel). Better more accurate soundstage, accurate bass and nicer vocals.
post #1243 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

What was your old amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I had the same experience with my A21 when it replaced an Emotiva XPA-3(one channel idle for 2 channel). Better more accurate soundstage, accurate bass and nicer vocals.

My old amps were a pair of Rotel RB1572s. 250 watts x 2 of Class D power. Not bad amps for the money but Parasound is certainly a step or two beyond that.
post #1244 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Hey guys... Interesting quick question. The A51 is 3000Watts. If I use it 4 hours a day with an avg of 8.6 cents per Kwh, does an energy bill of $375 a year make sense? That's a lot!

Having not done the math, you may have an error in your equation. The A51 will not be using all 3000 watts 99% of the time. As well, most movies/TV use the center channel for the majority of their audio, though music would use the other channels more. So depending on volume levels of each individual, I'd hazard a guess that you'd be using under 1000 watts most of the time, and under 500 for a good deal of that.
post #1245 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

My new Parasound Halo A31 amplifier arrived today. As soon as I put in in service, I could hear the next level in sound quality coming from my B&W speakers. Its sound is smooth, crystal clear and not at all fatiguing at higher volumes. I plan to run Audssey tomorrow and make some fine tuning adjustments.
It sounds so good I can hardly stand it!

Congrats!! Can I ask where you purchased? I'm interested in one as well.
post #1246 of 3357
I went online to Audio Advisor, an authorized Parasound dealer. I considered local dealers, however, none were close to my part of Florida.
post #1247 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I had the same experience with my A21 when it replaced an Emotiva XPA-3(one channel idle for 2 channel). Better more accurate soundstage, accurate bass and nicer vocals.

I've said that would be the difference, even w/o ever hearing a EMO amp, many times. One can only squeeze out so much quality from a 3 channel amp costing only $600~700. ID or BM brand makes no difference.
And of coarse, the EMO fan boys would completely disagree each time. But as long as one keeps his head in the sand and never ventures into higher quality, they have not got a clue!
post #1248 of 3357
Yeah, there was a thread recently on their forum by a fellow who was trying to decide between XPA amps and Halo. I shared my experience and people got upset over it! Snide remarks and silly attitudes all because I suggested that Halo would sound better at a higher price. Sometimes the truth hurts.
post #1249 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I've said that would be the difference, even w/o ever hearing a EMO amp, many times. One can only squeeze out so much quality from a 3 channel amp costing only $600~700. ID or BM brand makes no difference.
And of coarse, the EMO fan boys would completely disagree each time. But as long as one keeps his head in the sand and never ventures into higher quality, they have not got a clue!
I would add that after perusing many forums before buying my A-31, I saw a few where people had owned and heard both. They always spoke warmly about the Emo amps but gushed when it came time to descibe their Halos. Many went from an Emo to the Halo but never did I see one post where it went the other direction.
post #1250 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I would add that after perusing many forums before buying my A-31, I saw a few where people had owned and heard both. They always spoke warmly about the Emo amps but gushed when it came time to descibe their Halos. Many went from an Emo to the Halo but never did I see one post where it went the other direction.

Only a complete lunatic would chuck a Halo for anything EMO.
But its the EMO fanboys who have never had anything better that have no clue.
I've also seen a few who upgraded from EMO to Halo and never were going back.
post #1251 of 3357
Some people on this forum emphasize the "Science" part of this forum, and they are firm in their believe that "All [amps | cables | processors | etc ] sound the same under identical conditions" and if you hear a difference, it's placebo. I respectfully have and will disagree with them. In my opinion, the Parasound Halo amps are worth every dollar and Parasound should probably be selling them for a lot more money!
post #1252 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Some people on this forum emphasize the "Science" part of this forum, and they are firm in their believe that "All [amps | cables | processors | etc ] sound the same under identical conditions" and if you hear a difference, it's placebo. I respectfully have and will disagree with them. In my opinion, the Parasound Halo amps are worth every dollar and Parasound should probably be selling them for a lot more money!

Yeah, some amps may sound the same. But many do not. Some better, some not as good. There is soundstage and then there is
soundstage!
post #1253 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Some people on this forum emphasize the "Science" part of this forum, and they are firm in their believe that "All [amps | cables | processors | etc ] sound the same under identical conditions" and if you hear a difference, it's placebo. I respectfully have and will disagree with them. In my opinion, the Parasound Halo amps are worth every dollar and Parasound should probably be selling them for a lot more money!
Shhh.......... not so loud!
post #1254 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Yeah, there was a thread recently on their forum by a fellow who was trying to decide between XPA amps and Halo. I shared my experience and people got upset over it! Snide remarks and silly attitudes all because I suggested that Halo would sound better at a higher price. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Hello,
On the whole, the Halo/HCA Series also offer much larger Toroidal Transformers, Capacitor Banks, Class A Bias, and happen to be designed by one of the true legends in John Curl. I must say that Emotiva's new XPR Series looks quite impressive and all those models boast some heavy duty power supplies. They are the first Emotiva models that have made me take notice.
Cheers,
AD
post #1255 of 3357
On the XPR models, they apparently have 20 amp plugs and need an adapter to fit 15 amp plugs. Their max draw is 1600 watts up to 3500 watts for the 5 channel amp. It's my understanding that a dedicated 20 amp circuit can supply 2400 watts before the breaker trips, and a 15 amp circuit about 1800(if it's dedicated). It seems like more trouble than it's worth. And of course they don't have any of the Halo features like high bias class A(they are class H), signal sensing turn on, variable gain, and the elegant looks. But if that's your thing, they do have those 80's style bouncing LED meters in the front!
post #1256 of 3357
As long as the romex wiring is 12 ga, the circuit breakers/outlets should be changed to 20 amp types.

But when it comes to amps, you get what you pay for. I would not waste my money on EMO.
post #1257 of 3357
I am in the process of setting up a Halo a52 and a23 with an Integra 80.3 for a 7.2 home theater and I was wondering about interconnects and speaker wire that would compliment these units.
Should I also go with XLR interconnects?
Thanks,
post #1258 of 3357
I was told that the P3 was discontinued and is being completely redone and will have a sub out.
post #1259 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance7 View Post

I am in the process of setting up a Halo a52 and a23 with an Integra 80.3 for a 7.2 home theater and I was wondering about interconnects and speaker wire that would compliment these units.
Should I also go with XLR interconnects?
Thanks,

I have read that using XLR can produce worse sound than using rca cables. I've never bothered with XLR. Maybe if there are really long runs between components XLRs might be better.
post #1260 of 3357
In answer to your question we own a PARASOUND Halo A521 and A23 coupled with an ONKYO PR-SC5508 (the next model year down from your Integra 80.3). We are also running a 7.2 home theater surround. As far as interconnects go, I have used custom RCA plugs in the past but when we went with the above set of equipment, I wanted to make sure there was no degradation at all, period, between the pre-amp - power amp stage (the weak link) so we went with Emotiva's excellent "X Series XLR interconnects".

Some say that "XLR interconnects are only needed for longer runs". That may or may not be the case, as for me, I didn't want to take any chances.

That said, the way XLR cables are connected between the preamp and power amp is a much more secure, and to my mind, a much more precise way of connecting, and securing the interconnection between the gear. Just compare the precise and secure interconnection contact points and detailed construction of Emotivas XLR cables (they are built like a tank, see diagrams and illustrations on right hand side of page) with an RCA cable and you will see what I mean:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xlr

As opposed to RCA cables, the XLR cable is securely locked into place once it is installed/connected to the unit and it isn't going anywhere. From numerous first-hand experiences of RCA cables working their way free once installed, that can not be said of RCA cables.

Having spent the kind of serious money we did on the exceptional quality gear listed above, I had no problem spending a few extra $ to insure the best connection possible. My gear, like yours is surrounded by other powerful equipment, wires and electricity and I didn't want any stray signals getting in the path whatsoever and that is the case with our XLR cables.

If there were no possible benefit to balanced XLR interconnection, PARASOUND wouldn't have wasted their time effort and money by bothering to design or to install XLR interconnection capabilities to their Halo line because it makes no sense.

And having listened to both RCA and XLR, the XLR cables do sound better to my ear, but as opposed to all of the reasons listed above, that one argument is "subjective". Still, they are MY ears and I am the one listening to it and I am the one who needs to be totally satisfied that I am receiving the very best sound the equipment is capable of producing and you do too.

Should I also go with XLR interconnects? You are a big boy, do the research, seriously take all of the reasons listed above into consideration and make a decision

As for speaker wire that would compliment these units: check out Monoprice.com They have very good speaker wire at a reasonable price.

The only thing I would add to your above list which made a tremendously big difference in our own audio set up was applying gold-plated banana plugs to the positive and negative connections on either end of the speaker wire. These plugs just do a better job in connecting/securing the wire path to the power amp and speakers. I couldn't believe the difference this simple addition made to the over all quality and clarity of our sonic experience. The only thing I can liken it to is clinking together "crystal glasses" from Wal-Mart to the sound made by clinking together a fine pair of very expensive and thin Wedgewood crystal glasses: Both make a "noise" but there is no comparison between the sonics: one is a hollow, lifeless "clink"; while the next produces a rich, vibrant clinking "ring" which resonates, echoes and vibrates producing a harmony of ethereal "music to the ears". That was the difference banana plugs made to the sonics. Even my wife, who normally doesn't notice or say anything regarding audio equipment commented on the difference and amount of clarity and new "detail" she heard once the banana plugs were installed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread