or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

It's interesting though. My wife uses my set a lot during the day, and I calculated based on my usage that my A51 cost about $100 in electricity annually.
That works out to $8.34 a month and .28 cents a day. A pretty small amount when looked through the scope of enjoyment and what percentage of your monthly budget it consumes.
post #1682 of 3342
Has anyone measured the A51 s power usage at idle and while playing music?

- Rich
post #1683 of 3342
The A21 pulls 150 watts and the A31 225 watts so I'd guess the A51 would use 375 watts when on or playing music at reasonable levels (I.e. in class A). Data on the A21 and A31 came from Technical at Parasound. When off(stand by?) not sure but Europe has helped drive that down so may only be a couple of watts. The ATI amps you have been looking at have very little class A bias so use much less power at idle or even at low listening level. An A31 plus an ATI AT2004 would make an excellent 7.x system IMO.
Edit: RichB, of course with your system JC1s for the Salon2s and a A31 for the Voice2 and the Studio2s would be killer!
Edited by jima4a - 4/14/13 at 8:48am
post #1684 of 3342
Would the usage of the HC2205 be similiar to the A51?
post #1685 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

It's interesting though. My wife uses my set a lot during the day, and I calculated based on my usage that my A51 cost about $100 in electricity annually.
I have my parasound a-23 on 24/7.. I was told by parasound that's the best way to go..the system is on 7 am to 11 pm...kids....but amp is never turned off..it runs cool to warm..never hot..electric bill is not bad at all...and no I'm not made of money !..
post #1686 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

The A21 pulls 150 watts and the A31 225 watts so I'd guess the A51 would use 375 watts when on or playing music at reasonable levels (I.e. in class A). Data on the A21 and A31 came from Technical at Parasound. When off(stand by?) not sure but Europe has helped drive that down so may only be a couple of watts. The ATI amps you have been looking at have very little class A bias so use much less power at idle or even at low listening level. An A31 plus an ATI AT2004 would make an excellent 7.x system IMO.
Edit: RichB, of course with your system JC1s for the Salon2s and a A31 for the Voice2 and the Studio2s would be killer!

I was told by parasound that the A51 draws .5 watts on standby and about 110 watts idling.
The ATI 3005 draws 1 watt on standby and 130 watts idle which surprised me because of the A51 has a higher class-a bias.

Just wondering if someone put a kilowatt meter on one.

- Rich
Edited by RichB - 4/14/13 at 11:55am
post #1687 of 3342
An A31 plus an ATI AT2004 would make an excellent 7.x system IMO.
Edit: RichB, of course with your system JC1s for the Salon2s and a A31 for the Voice2 and the Studio2s would be killer![/quote]

I have the older Salons and studios before they knew they would be numbering them smile.gif
I agree but that is not within my budget right now.

The Ati 3005 drives the revels to reference levels. It is an ungodly beast. Clean and powerful.
Still, the Parasounds continue to intrigue me.

- Rich
post #1688 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

I have my parasound a-23 on 24/7.. I was told by parasound that's the best way to go..the system is on 7 am to 11 pm.
Did Parasound say why 24/7 was the way to go? It seems counterintuitive. Anyway, I have an A51 in my system. My power conditioner reads 35 watts at standby (all equipment) and 195 watts when the P7/A51 are at "idle". (I use a trigger from the P7 to turn on the A51). I only have it on about 2 hrs or less a day, so power consumption is really not a big issue. Still, I would prefer to use an A21 on my mains since most of the time I'm not using the other 3 channels but I really can't justify the cost. I use mine 99% for music (the other 1% are concert videos).
Edited by davee70 - 4/14/13 at 2:28pm
post #1689 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Did Parasound say why 24/7 was the way to go? It seems counterintuitive. Anyway, I have an A51 in my system. My power conditioner reads 35 watts at standby (all equipment) and 195 watts when the P7/A51 are at "idle". (I use a trigger from the P7 to turn on the A51). I only have it on about 2 hrs or less a day, so power consumption is really not a big issue. Still, I would prefer to use an A21 on my mains since most of the time I'm not using the other 3 channels but I really can't justify the cost. I use mine 99% for music (the other 1% are concert videos).

Thanks that matches the information I was given.

- Rich
post #1690 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post

Would the usage of the HC2205 be similiar to the A51?

If you are referring to power consumption, then no. The HCA series does not list an idle or standby wattage like the newer Halo series.
So assume that the 2205 does not drop to say, 1w.
post #1691 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

That works out to $8.34 a month and .28 cents a day. A pretty small amount when looked through the scope of enjoyment and what percentage of your monthly budget it consumes.

Absolutely. That's why I own a A51. However, I also used to own a A23, and was thinking about another A23 (for front heights). Add everything up and you're talking $250/yr in electricity. Then I compared my power requirements and needs, and I decided to purchase tthe Marantz MM8807 for my surround needs. It matches the AV8801 perfectly, sounds fine and 1 MM8807 (7 channels) uses a much as the A23.

I understand all of this doesn't really matter to us audio freaks, but it's something that I calculated and figured to share...
post #1692 of 3342
The A23 has a very low class A bias so I doubt it pulls that much.
post #1693 of 3342
Hello everyone, especially A23 owners. Anyone who is curious about when the A23 switches from Class A to Class AB-the answer is at about 2.5 watts output from each channel. I received the information from technical service (from Mr Schram himself) in response to my question about the above A/AB switching point.
post #1694 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Did Parasound say why 24/7 was the way to go? It seems counterintuitive. Anyway, I have an A51 in my system. My power conditioner reads 35 watts at standby (all equipment) and 195 watts when the P7/A51 are at "idle". (I use a trigger from the P7 to turn on the A51). I only have it on about 2 hrs or less a day, so power consumption is really not a big issue. Still, I would prefer to use an A21 on my mains since most of the time I'm not using the other 3 channels but I really can't justify the cost. I use mine 99% for music (the other 1% are concert videos).
They told me that the amps are meant to be on 24/7 ..most of the repair issues are from turning on and off the amp time and time again..they told me that all the amps they use..even Richards personal amps at home are never turned off.. And one of his coworkers has had his amp for 20 yrs and has never turned it off...mine runs Luke warm have had it about a year and have never turned it off..they told me it would last many many years by just leaving it on..
post #1695 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

They told me that the amps are meant to be on 24/7 ..most of the repair issues are from turning on and off the amp time and time again..they told me that all the amps they use..even Richards personal amps at home are never turned off.. And one of his coworkers has had his amp for 20 yrs and has never turned it off...mine runs Luke warm have had it about a year and have never turned it off..they told me it would last many many years by just leaving it on..
Interesting. It makes sense too and it's for the same reason that I leave my computer on 24/7 though with a computer it's a little more complicated than simply re-applying power to the circuits. It's an ingrained mental block but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around leaving the amps on 24/7. And if you take the "most of the repair issues are from turning on and off the amp time and time again" one step further, then shouldn't we just leave everything on, AVR, blu-ray player etc, sans the TV maybe.
post #1696 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Interesting. It makes sense too and it's for the same reason that I leave my computer on 24/7 though with a computer it's a little more complicated than simply re-applying power to the circuits. It's an ingrained mental block but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around leaving the amps on 24/7. And if you take the "most of the repair issues are from turning on and off the amp time and time again" one step further, then shouldn't we just leave everything on, AVR, blu-ray player etc, sans the TV maybe.

+1 Actually, power cycles are hard on all electronic devices. But, obviously it would cost too much to leave everything on all the time not to mention wasteful.
post #1697 of 3342
If it is on stand by it's better
post #1698 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Did Parasound say why 24/7 was the way to go? It seems counterintuitive. Anyway, I have an A51 in my system. My power conditioner reads 35 watts at standby (all equipment) and 195 watts when the P7/A51 are at "idle". (I use a trigger from the P7 to turn on the A51). I only have it on about 2 hrs or less a day, so power consumption is really not a big issue. Still, I would prefer to use an A21 on my mains since most of the time I'm not using the other 3 channels but I really can't justify the cost. I use mine 99% for music (the other 1% are concert videos).
This really has me wondering. Why would the A21 and A31 pull so much wattage, if the A51 does not? To my understanding they should have about 8 watt class A bias which only accounts for about 32 watts per channel. Any ideas?
post #1699 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf250 View Post

Hello everyone, especially A23 owners. Anyone who is curious about when the A23 switches from Class A to Class AB-the answer is at about 2.5 watts output from each channel. I received the information from technical service (from Mr Schram himself) in response to my question about the above A/AB switching point.

2.5 watts in Class A? I just assumed it was 8. ok, back to the drawing board, looks like 3x A21's instead of the A23's. Glad I asked some questions here. eek.gif
post #1700 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

They told me that the amps are meant to be on 24/7 ..most of the repair issues are from turning on and off the amp time and time again..they told me that all the amps they use..even Richards personal amps at home are never turned off.. And one of his coworkers has had his amp for 20 yrs and has never turned it off...mine runs Luke warm have had it about a year and have never turned it off..they told me it would last many many years by just leaving it on..

I've had a HCA2205A for 11 years and always turn it off, unless I know I've be using it again in an hour or so.
Never had a problem. It is certainly true that tube amps take a beating from being turned on, but SS amps, not so much.

So they are saying they leave their own amps on 24/7 but then provide a trigger on the pre-amps to connect to power amps for the rest of us.
post #1701 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I've had a HCA2205A for 11 years and always turn it off, unless I know I've be using it again in an hour or so.
Never had a problem. It is certainly true that tube amps take a beating from being turned on, but SS amps, not so much.

So they are saying they leave their own amps on 24/7 but then provide a trigger on the pre-amps to connect to power amps for the rest of us.

When I bought my A51--or perhaps it was the A53 I replaced with it-- Richard Schramm told me the only beneficiary of leaving it on 24/7 would be the power company.

He said Parasound uses some sort of bias circuit so that their amps don't require any warm-up time.
post #1702 of 3342
Richard told me the same this with my A51, I find leaving it on all the time does make a difference.
post #1703 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Richard told me the same this with my A51, I find leaving it on all the time does make a difference.

Sorry--not clear what you mean.

Difference in sound, or difference in electric bill?

I leave mine off--Standby?-- and it is turned on by the trigger when I power up my pre-pro.
post #1704 of 3342
Sonically it does sound better, and my power bill does increase too. I might have to send the wife out for a second job once I get the 3 A21's in the house. At least they can heat the house in the winter.
post #1705 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

When I bought my A51--or perhaps it was the A53 I replaced with it-- Richard Schramm told me the only beneficiary of leaving it on 24/7 would be the power company.

He said Parasound uses some sort of bias circuit so that their amps don't require any warm-up time.

It would appear that we now have reported conflicting comments from Richard as to what he does himself. Or what he tells clients.
Leave it on or turn it off.
post #1706 of 3342
Richard told me to leave them off, they have a built in warmer circuit that allows them to come to full temp in 60-90 seconds or something.
I found they are much happier and better sounding if on all the time.
post #1707 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

It would appear that we now have reported conflicting comments from Richard as to what he does himself. Or what he tells clients.
Leave it on or turn it off.

I think the earlier post was quoting a tech, not Richard. cool.gif
post #1708 of 3342
Not meant to add confusion to this how much power does my amp draw at idle isssue but I did very recently inquire about this since I was considering buying an A31 and here are 2 responses from Parasound.

The A 31 will draw about 1.25A when idling. However, you don't need to leave it on all the time for it to sound good:
a) Its bias circuit is very unique and it does not need to "warm up" to sound its best.
b) It has soft-start circuit that prevents current inrush into the filter caps, so it won't last any longer by leaving it on.

Kind regards,

Richard Schram


I also received this one:

Unit will draw 150 watts at idle

Best regards,

Tony


I am expecting my A31 within the next week or so and will measure with my WattsUP meter.
post #1709 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryeye View Post

Not meant to add confusion to this how much power does my amp draw at idle isssue but I did very recently inquire about this since I was considering buying an A31 and here are 2 responses from Parasound.

The A 31 will draw about 1.25A when idling. However, you don't need to leave it on all the time for it to sound good:
a) Its bias circuit is very unique and it does not need to "warm up" to sound its best.
b) It has soft-start circuit that prevents current inrush into the filter caps, so it won't last any longer by leaving it on.

Kind regards,

Richard Schram


I also received this one:

Unit will draw 150 watts at idle

Best regards,

Tony


I am expecting my A31 within the next week or so and will measure with my WattsUP meter.

They both refer to "idle" but Richard could have meant "standby". Or vice-versa?
post #1710 of 3342

I can't imagine leaving my rig on alla the time talk about waisting energy!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread