or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 73

post #2161 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Since when is $824 a lot to spend on speakers...maybe back in the '70s. Not now. I spent $1000 just on components, for a pair of speakers I built 10 years ago.

I wasn't stating it was, but it may be to some people. Haven't heard back from the original poster asking the question so who knows what their situation is. People often post incomplete information and are sometimes willing to buy expensive electronics for cheap speakers. Sometimes because they already have the speakers or came across them. A good price ratio is 2:1:1 for Speakers:Source:Amp, but many do 1:1:1 or even 1:2:2.
post #2162 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I wasn't stating it was, but it may be to some people. Haven't heard back from the original poster asking the question so who knows what their situation is. People often post incomplete information and are sometimes willing to buy expensive electronics for cheap speakers. Sometimes because they already have the speakers or came across them. A good price ratio is 2:1:1 for Speakers:Source:Amp, but many do 1:1:1 or even 1:2:2.

I'll give you that. One variation on the ratio is if one builds their speakers, then the cost of the speaker/amp/pre-amp could be 1:2:2 or even higher. But in real market value, that might be 4:1:1.
The big problem with speaker purchase can be, the dreaded WAF...something I have never had to deal with. Even when I was married.
post #2163 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I'll give you that. One variation on the ratio is if one builds their speakers, then the cost of the speaker/amp/pre-amp could be 1:2:2 or even higher. But in real market value, that might be 4:1:1.The big problem with speaker purchase can be, the dreaded WAF...something I have never had to deal with. Even when I was married.

I am lucky no WAF so the three front B&W 800 Diamond rule smile.gif I agree Speakers should be 50 % of the budget!
post #2164 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I wasn't stating it was, but it may be to some people. Haven't heard back from the original poster asking the question so who knows what their situation is. People often post incomplete information and are sometimes willing to buy expensive electronics for cheap speakers. Sometimes because they already have the speakers or came across them. A good price ratio is 2:1:1 for Speakers:Source:Amp, but many do 1:1:1 or even 1:2:2.

Thanks for the input. I already have the Zdac and I love it. Currently I have a Zamp V.3 powering an old set of Paradigm Atom bookshelf speakers. They are alright but would love to get something smaller. I don't care about the lower octave and do not want a sub woofer. I guess I should have just asked for speaker suggestions for this existing setup.
post #2165 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post

Thanks for the input. I already have the Zdac and I love it. Currently I have a Zamp V.3 powering an old set of Paradigm Atom bookshelf speakers. They are alright but would love to get something smaller. I don't care about the lower octave and do not want a sub woofer. I guess I should have just asked for speaker suggestions for this existing setup.

Check out the Cambridge Minx. I have a few sets and they sound great and are very inconspicuous.
post #2166 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

I'm thinking of getting some Vienna Acoustics Haydns for my HT. But I hear they are difficult to drive. Any Parasound owners out there with experience with these?

bump
post #2167 of 3344
Which would you guys prefer for music playback, the 2100 pre-amp, or the C2 pre-amp? How do they compare?
post #2168 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

bump
What amp will you be using to drive these Viennas? 4 Ohm 89 dB sensitivity. No personal experience with these speakers but its nothing an A31 or A51 couldn't handle.
post #2169 of 3344
Got my Para 5250 v.2 recently to drive Revel F208s.
Curious to know if anyone used after-market Power Cord for any of the parasound Amp? My initial research indicates this upgrade as a quasi-snake oil. Is that the case or my research is not revealing a different truth?
Please share your experience ....
post #2170 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Which would you guys prefer for music playback, the 2100 pre-amp, or the C2 pre-amp? How do they compare?
I have the C-2 and am VERY pleased with it's neutral to slightly warm presentation. I have never heard the 2100 and would only comment on it if I was able to A/B both units in my room. C-2s come up for sale regularly and seem to get between 500.00 to 800.00 bucks on flea-bay
post #2171 of 3344
If you are considering the 2100 I would wait for the P5. Would expect a slight bump up plus a DAC.
post #2172 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post

What amp will you be using to drive these Viennas? 4 Ohm 89 dB sensitivity. No personal experience with these speakers but its nothing an A31 or A51 couldn't handle.

I'm using an A52. I got the VA Haydns Special Editions yesterday and so far they've been playing very nicely.
post #2173 of 3344
Anyone out there interested in an A52 ? It is less than six months old, and in perfect condition. I purchased it from Audio Advisor just a few months ago.
post #2174 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

Anyone out there interested in an A52 ? It is less than six months old, and in perfect condition. I purchased it from Audio Advisor just a few months ago.

Is it black or silver?
post #2175 of 3344
Silver. I don't believe the A52 was ever produced in black.
post #2176 of 3344
Hi,

Just in case somebody else out there is interested: I had sent an email request to Parasound asking if the halo p7 pre-amp will be available in black. I got a reply saying: "The P 7 black will be available at the end of August. It is gorgeous."

I'm getting one!
post #2177 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosoft7 View Post

Got my Para 5250 v.2 recently to drive Revel F208s.
Curious to know if anyone used after-market Power Cord for any of the parasound Amp? My initial research indicates this upgrade as a quasi-snake oil. Is that the case or my research is not revealing a different truth?
Please share your experience ....
post #2178 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

I am using a pangea ac-9 on my halo a23...
After using the stock cord for 4 months..this is a very taboo subject!... snake oil or not.dem snakes got bite!... but im a big believer in cables..etc
also using straightwire cresendo interconnects
and speaker wire..aso straightwire hdmi's
To ME there just as important as the gear!
...but...like i said taboo..taboo!
Just try one and judge for yourself!
Im neva going back!
post #2179 of 3344
Magical power cords....total joke. After miles of power line from the power plant that the electricity runs through, into ones house, the last 5 ft of cord should make a difference. Nada! Pure placebo!
post #2180 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Magical power cords....total joke. After miles of power line from the power plant that the electricity runs through, into ones house, the last 5 ft of cord should make a difference. Nada! Pure placebo![/

quote].
.thats the great thing about life..you are free to believe or not...years ago i was also not a believer
But 10k worth of gear deserves. To be treated that way....my halo sounds better with the pangae cord
dead silent background..deeper bass with depth
clean clear power...using the pangaes on my anthem and oppo also....but we all are free to decide on our own!
post #2181 of 3344
I can quarantee my combo of P7/Citation 19, with stock power cords, are not coming up short in bass. And I can hear zero noise from my system, that is not music, at any level.
post #2182 of 3344
I've tried replacing all my power cords with ones from Signal Cable and a few other companies. I can say without a doubt that I found no difference in SQ between the aftermarket PCs and stock ones. I agree that the differences one hears is totally the placebo effect. I would ask anyone if they could tell the differences in a DBT between aftermarket PCs and stock PCs in their system. In other words if someone snuck into ones house and replaced their aftermarket PCs with stock PCs would they know wink.gif?

Bill
post #2183 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I've tried replacing all my power cords with ones from Signal Cable and a few other companies. I can say without a doubt that I found no difference in SQ between the aftermarket PCs and stock ones. I agree that the differences one hears is totally the placebo effect. I would ask anyone if they could tell the differences in a DBT between aftermarket PCs and stock PCs in their system. In other words if someone snuck into ones house and replaced their aftermarket PCs with stock PCs would they know wink.gif?

Bill
Hahahahaha............funny! The answer is of course "NO", not until they went behind their rack and found them missing. At that point I wonder if the visual confirmation that they had been listening to "sub-par" power cords and the fact that they only discovered them missing when they had a "visual" confirmation would sway them into realizing that they had been spending money on needless "placebo" equipment. Maybe, maybe not.

But as esh 516 said......."we all are free to decide on our own!" and that is what makes living in a free market society great.
post #2184 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Hahahahaha............funny! The answer is of course "NO", not until they went behind their rack and found them missing. At that point I wonder if the visual confirmation that they had been listening to "sub-par" power cords and the fact that they only discovered them missing when they had a "visual" confirmation would sway them into realizing that they had been spending money on needless "placebo" equipment. Maybe, maybe not.

But as esh 516 said......."we all are free to decide on our own!" and that is what makes living in a free market society great.
+1
You think the power coming into your house is clean power?...not!.... its already contaminated. Long before it gets to your gear...anyway. i guess its like having a show dog and putting a nice lil. Sweater on him...lol...do u need it?... maybe..maybe not.
but its all good..i respect everones believes
If your good with the stock thats all that matters
This is a great hobby..we all love audio...and thats all that matters!
post #2185 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

+1
You think the power coming into your house is clean power?...not!.... its already contaminated. Long before it gets to your gear...anyway. i guess its like having a show dog and putting a nice lil. Sweater on him...lol...do u need it?... maybe..maybe not.
but its all good..i respect everones believes
If your good with the stock thats all that matters
This is a great hobby..we all love audio...and thats all that matters!
Zactly! And you think that a specialty cord which is basically a glorified stock power cord with some extra shielding wrapped in a pretty braided sheath is gonna clean up whatever "dirt" might be present in your incoming house line? Not possible!

But you're right, "This is a great hobby..we all love audio...and thats all that matters!" is a spot on statement. I "feel the power" everytime I spark up my system. smile.gif
post #2186 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Zactly! And you think that a specialty cord which is basically a glorified stock power cord with some extra shielding wrapped in a pretty braided sheath is gonna clean up whatever "dirt" might be present in your incoming house line? Not possible!


But you're right, "This is a great hobby..we all love audio...and thats all that matters!" is a spot on statement. I "feel the power" everytime I spark up my system. smile.gif

Its like when someone comes over and checks out my gear..there like..do you really NEED that parasound amp...since you have a anthem mrx 300
With great amps already?
I say....do i NEED it..no
do i WANT it...YYYYEEEEPPPP!
Its all about the sound..the gear..the tweaks..the time we spend with our gear..listening ..tweaking
Adjusting...etc...thats what we all love to do!
post #2187 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Zactly! And you think that a specialty cord which is basically a glorified stock power cord with some extra shielding wrapped in a pretty braided sheath is gonna clean up whatever "dirt" might be present in your incoming house line? Not possible!

But you're right, "This is a great hobby..we all love audio...and thats all that matters!" is a spot on statement. I "feel the power" everytime I spark up my system. smile.gif

Mine have different size and shaped conductors, quad shielding and made from Poccc and is a whopping 8awg with gold plated connectors and a removable ground pin. Yeh if someone came in at night and swapped it I'd miss it right away as soon as the first note played, why! you ask? because I can hear eek.gif
post #2188 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Its like when someone comes over and checks out my gear..there like..do you really NEED that parasound amp...since you have a anthem mrx 300
With great amps already?
I say....do i NEED it..no
do i WANT it...YYYYEEEEPPPP!
Its all about the sound..the gear..the tweaks..the time we spend with our gear..listening ..tweaking
Adjusting...etc...thats what we all love to do!
Can't say it better!!! Ya'll guys are so right...
Yap, I am going to ditch the bright idea of Power cord.
But I am still on the way to get my Shunyata SR-Z1 receptacle. It is going to be shipped in a day or two. I am using a 20A circuit.
Will connect Parasound to one of the Ports of the dual-port receptacle directly and use the other one to connect Panamax PM5400 to power up all the other gears. Not going too far with power connection aspect, but doing the best based on expected benefit-cost ratio.
As it is metioned many times in this forum, unless one has a very high-end E2E systems, a single component might be lost in the forest and the user will not be able to leverage the full potential of that one piece.
post #2189 of 3344
If you guys want to hear a difference i recommend a simple test, switch the detachable stock cords around on two components in your setup and just see if there's a difference!
post #2190 of 3344
As much as I commented on after market PCs it seems that the thread is going way of the topic of Parasound products. Just a thought wink.gif.

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread