or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Buying a MC pre (i.e. Parasound P7) means running lots and lot of RCA cables for 5.1 sound.

That's what I do, but I have no experience with either the P7 pre, or the 8003 pre-pro. After a lot (and I do mean a lot) of thought and reading, I bought a used Bel Canto Pre6, which is something you might consider trying.

OTOH, it may well be easier (and less risky than buying used on Audiogon) to buy the P7 from www.audioadvisor.com as an open-box/demo/factory-refurb. They all come with full warranty when purchased from AA. And you get 30 days to try it, and won't have to feel bad if you return it to AA, but it will likely cost you shipping. The factory refurb is the least costly. Call AA up and ask them to call you up when they get one in.

Just some thoughts/ideas.

Cheers


That Pre6, is that a processor??? I see a Bel canto PreHT on audigon but not sure if thats yours. How is it on 2-channel?
post #242 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

That Pre6, is that a processor???


The Bel Canto Pre6 is a MC (MultiChannel) preamp. No processing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I see a Bel canto PreHT on audigon but not sure if thats yours.


At the moment, several.

FWIW Bel Canto has done two prepros in the recent past. Audiogon bluebook shows '02 (new $7900 used $3800) and gen2 '06 (new $7900 used $3800).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

How is it on 2-channel?


My used BC Pre6 is the best that I've yet experienced for 2-channel.

My one best guess is that their (now discontinued) prepros are also excellent for 2 channel.

I went with the Pre6 due to my having zero interest in processing.

I let my players decode into 5.1 RCA out; I also am willing to run large amounts of analog RCA interconnect cables, not to mention 8 disc players.

BTW, Audiogon used prices are invariably inflated. You should be able to buy one of the older '02 BC prepros for about what I paid for my Pre6; namely about $1600. Good luck whichever way you go.


Cheers
post #243 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

That Pre6, is that a processor???

http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...nd/index2.html
post #244 of 3340
Quote:


Nice review of the Bel Canto Pre6.


Cheers
post #245 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Nice review of the Bel Canto Pre6.


Cheers

Thanks. It remains among the best of type. Hope you will enjoy it.
post #246 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Nice review of the Bel Canto Pre6.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Thanks. It remains among the best of type. Hope you will enjoy it.


I didn't buy my used Bel Canto Pre6 because of your review.

I've come to distrust you.

I bought it because dsmith901 had one and still thinks well of it.


Cheers
post #247 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

I didn't buy my used Bel Canto Pre6 because of your review.

Why would you presume that I would think you did? I posted the reference FWIW.

Quote:


I've come to distrust you.

The feeling is mutual.

Nonetheless, I stand by my previous post.
post #248 of 3340
Dam, opps

I have my new speakers, new amp, and I am using my receiver now and it sounds good to me. I know a better pre-amp would bring out the sound i am looking for and sure my speakers would deliever.

Parasound P7
Bel Canto pre6
Mccormack Mp?

Come on sure its system dependant but I cant preview all these.
post #249 of 3340
I have. It is system- and user-dependent. Of the three, I would choose the McCormack only if I wanted the synth surround option. I guess the BC is still the king for clarity and detail but can be a bit cold. It is also tougher to setup but that's other-side-of-the-coin of its great flexibility. The P7 is excellent and works well as a regular preamp and HT-bypass with additional options (phono, bass management, etc.)

Tough call.
post #250 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

Dam, opps

I have my new speakers, new amp, and I am using my receiver now and it sounds good to me. I know a better pre-amp would bring out the sound i am looking for and sure my speakers would deliever.

Parasound P7
Bel Canto pre6
Mccormack Mp?

Come on sure its system dependant but I cant preview all these.


After much reading, my own conclusion between the MC pre Parasound P7 and the Bel Canto MC Pre6 was that if you are picky (as I am), then taking a few months to get a used one (BC Pre6) has a lot of merit.

OTOH, buying an open box, demo, or factory refurb, P7 from AA also has a lot of merit. I myself did not do that, but I still think that it has a lot of merit, given that it is surely the most convenient and easiest thing to do. Call AA up on their 800 number and tell them to call you when they've got one in.

Also I have zero knowledge with the "Mccormack Mp"

My suggestion is to go for an open box/factory refurb P7 from AA.

Gives you 30 days to use it, with very little money/time nosebleed (shipping) if you return it; and given that it was already not new, no guilt conscience.

Cheers
post #251 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The feeling is mutual.


Exactly.


Cheers
post #252 of 3340
I sincerely thank both of you for excellent feedback. A year of actual study on this pre-amp subject. The problems of marrying a HT system with a good 2-channel is no simple task. Thankgoodness I can follow your points with understanding.

Appreciate both responses
post #253 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I sincerely thank both of you for excellent feedback. A year of actual study on this pre-amp subject. The problems of marrying a HT system with a good 2-channel is no simple task. Thankgoodness I can follow your points with understanding.

Appreciate both responses


I'm almost afraid to ask, but fearless is me.

Are you actually going to get a Parasound P7 or a BC Pre6?

Odds are that there are also other simpler ways to do a combined 2-channel and HT system, but I've zero experience with doing it. It is a somewhat common topic on AVS, but it's easy to miss given that it often gets a lot of different labels.

My own combined/shared setup of 2.1 and 5.2 is complex, but I don't have a significant other struggling to use it.

I also use mine 80% for music.

Cheers
post #254 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I sincerely thank both of you for excellent feedback. A year of actual study on this pre-amp subject. The problems of marrying a HT system with a good 2-channel is no simple task. Thankgoodness I can follow your points with understanding.

Actually, any good stereo preamp with a "home theater bypass" function or a stepped, calibrated volume control will do. That might open up a wider range of options for you.
post #255 of 3340
I am serious as a heart attack.

yes I am aware of other ways to do 2ch and Ht. One by calibration of the system with a set pre-amp vol. level to go back to each time.

Another thing that has been a puzzle is using a tube-pre-amp with a SS amp.

I guess since my amp is parasound I am thinking it would be easy and safe to go with a parasound pre. I could be wrong about that too.

I know some look down on manufactors that use electronics with mass-market componets. Then some talk about high value products that preform better than units costing 5x as much.
post #256 of 3340
The best thing is to just try a few pre-amps. As has been mentioned, Audio Adviser is an authorized Parasound online dealer, and quite often one can find many of the models in their open box, demo, or returned items for much less than full price. And there is still a 30 day return policy with those.
post #257 of 3340
This is not a condrad johson tread however since I have already established some repore here.

Has anyone heard the Met1, mult-channel pre-amp from CJ?
post #258 of 3340
I have had my C2 for about 7 years now, had to have it repaired 4 times and it just went again (switches off by itself and sometimes has a clicking sound while on) after using it for 3 weeks after just being fixed (it did sit in its box for 6 months and I just took it out again 3 weeks ago). I must have got a real lemon. Guess I have to get it fixed again. I am in Canada and it gets sent to an authorized repair shop, should I just get the store to send back to Parasound in the US to fix it properly?
post #259 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

I have had my C2 for about 7 years now, had to have it repaired 4 times and it just went again (switches off by itself and sometimes has a clicking sound while on) after using it for 3 weeks after just being fixed (it did sit in its box for 6 months and I just took it out again 3 weeks ago). I must have got a real lemon. Guess I have to get it fixed again. I am in Canada and it gets sent to an authorized repair shop, should I just get the store to send back to Parasound in the US to fix it properly?

I'd call or email Parasound customer service and tell them the problem, including how many times its been fixed. Isn't much point sending it to the same repair shop again. I'd done it after the second time.
post #260 of 3340
I am checking out the A21 tomorrow.

Would it be a good match with Mirage omd28? Below are the mirage spec.

System Type OMNIPOLARâ„¢ Bass Reflex Loudspeaker with Down-Firing Vents
Frequency Response 25 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3dB)
Recommended Amplifier Power 50-300 Watts (unclipped)
Impedance 6 Ohms nominal / 3.5 Ohms minimum
Tweeter 1.1" (2.8 cm) Chambered Titanium Dome
Midrange 5.25" (13.3 cm) Multi-layer Carbon Fiber / Fiberglass Hybrid with Underhung Motor System
Woofer Two 8" (20.3 cm) Multi-layer Carbon Fibers
Useable Bass Response (-10db Anechoic) 18 Hz
Room Efficiency 87 dB
Crossover Point 550 Hz and 2.5 kHz


Also, would the automatic turn on using active audio source work well? I am using the onkyo 805 AVR as my controller?

Thanks,
tnt
post #261 of 3340
I ordered the P7
post #262 of 3340
I want to hear all about your P7, I have had my eye on this unit for sometime now. Thanks.
post #263 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

I have had my C2 for about 7 years now, had to have it repaired 4 times and it just went again (switches off by itself and sometimes has a clicking sound while on) after using it for 3 weeks after just being fixed (it did sit in its box for 6 months and I just took it out again 3 weeks ago). I must have got a real lemon. Guess I have to get it fixed again. I am in Canada and it gets sent to an authorized repair shop, should I just get the store to send back to Parasound in the US to fix it properly?

What an opportune post! I have a C2 I bought used. Out of the blue (while off) it started making clicking noises while partially turning on and off. I say partially because the display doesn't come on, but the blue light and red "P" light up. It keeps doing this on and off, over and over, with relay clicks. It is also impossible to get any response (fully on or fully off) with the power button. The only way to stop it is to power it down from the rear switch.

I called Parasound asking for info but since it is not under warranty I am looking at a potentially sizable fee to have it fixed. My description of the problem didn't provide them with a smoking gun to target the problem; or at least not one that they would share with me.

I took the cover off and reseated all the connectors and thought it fixed the problem; but after less than one day it started doing it again.

Did they give you detailed info on what they fixed in your unit (or attempted to fix anyway)? I am fishing for any info I can get to try to fix mine myself.
post #264 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw_man View Post

What an opportune post! I have a C2 I bought used. Out of the blue (while off) it started making clicking noises while partially turning on and off. I say partially because the display doesn't come on, but the blue light and red "P" light up. It keeps doing this on and off, over and over, with relay clicks. It is also impossible to get any response (fully on or fully off) with the power button. The only way to stop it is to power it down from the rear switch.

I called Parasound asking for info but since it is not under warranty I am looking at a potentially sizable fee to have it fixed. My description of the problem didn't provide them with a smoking gun to target the problem; or at least not one that they would share with me.

I took the cover off and reseated all the connectors and thought it fixed the problem; but after less than one day it started doing it again.

Did they give you detailed info on what they fixed in your unit (or attempted to fix anyway)? I am fishing for any info I can get to try to fix mine myself.


I am bumping this to the front again in hope that a Parasound Halo C(x) owner with a similar problem will see it and have arrived at a root cause they can share. Wishful thinking? Probably, but it only takes a couple minutes time. Here's hoping...
post #265 of 3340
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw_man View Post

I am bumping this to the front again in hope that a Parasound Halo C(x) owner with a similar problem will see it and have arrived at a root cause they can share. Wishful thinking? Probably, but it only takes a couple minutes time. Here's hoping...

Have you called Parasound Tech Support? Ask for Tony.... HE'S THE MAN!
Parasound Products, Inc.
2250 McKinnon Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94124
(415) 397-7100
post #266 of 3340
Thread Starter 
The December, 2009 issue of Stereophile includes their Best Products of 2009 feature.

The JC 1 was the first runner-up for Amplification Component of the Year.
Only a $15,000 Ayre preamp received more votes.

Stereophile calls it our first runner-up,
the magnificent Parasound Halo JC 1 monoblock.

More Stereophile reviewers voted for the JC 1 than any of these:

- Boulder amp
- Pass amp
- conrad-johnson preamp
- Sim Moon amp
- VTL amp
- Nagra phono preamp

This is an honor without precedent because the JC 1 has been on the market for nearly 7 years, since February, 2003.

Consider:

1. No other component has been a Stereophile Class A rated component this long, year after year; virtually all drop off after
a few years and are replaced by newer, more exciting brands and models.

2. No other component that's been selling for nearly 7 years has ever been a runner-up (much less, first runner-up) for Product of the Year.
post #267 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Have you called Parasound Tech Support? Ask for Tony.... HE'S THE MAN!
Parasound Products, Inc.
2250 McKinnon Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94124
(415) 397-7100

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I first emailed Parasound and then talked with Tony on the phone. He was nice, but said he could not diagnose my problem based on my description; and since it was not under warranty it would be at least a couple hundred bucks (possibly more depending on the problem) to have them service it.

I don't want to sound like I am dissing their customer service, or Tony, because his answer was perfectly reasonable under the specific circumstances; plus he got back to me almost immediately after I contacted them. But resale value on this unit when I upgrade, balanced with potential repair costs, makes me want to fix it myself if at all possible; particularly since I am past the point of "violating the warranty" by opening the unit up.

My request for info is admittedly a shot in dark, but worth the effort.
post #268 of 3340
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw_man View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I first emailed Parasound and then talked with Tony on the phone. He was nice, but said he could not diagnose my problem based on my description; and since it was not under warranty it would be at least a couple hundred bucks (possibly more depending on the problem) to have them service it.

I don't want to sound like I am dissing their customer service, or Tony, because his answer was perfectly reasonable under the specific circumstances; plus he got back to me almost immediately after I contacted them. But resale value on this unit when I upgrade, balanced with potential repair costs, makes me want to fix it myself if at all possible; particularly since I am past the point of "violating the warranty" by opening the unit up.

My request for info is admittedly a shot in dark, but worth the effort.

Well lets see what we can figure out
post #269 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw_man View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I first emailed Parasound and then talked with Tony on the phone. He was nice, but said he could not diagnose my problem based on my description; and since it was not under warranty it would be at least a couple hundred bucks (possibly more depending on the problem) to have them service it.

I don't want to sound like I am dissing their customer service, or Tony, because his answer was perfectly reasonable under the specific circumstances; plus he got back to me almost immediately after I contacted them. But resale value on this unit when I upgrade, balanced with potential repair costs, makes me want to fix it myself if at all possible; particularly since I am past the point of "violating the warranty" by opening the unit up.

My request for info is admittedly a shot in dark, but worth the effort.


I have not sent my unit in again as my dealer spoke to the distributor here in Canada and said that because of all the issues I have had, I should get a brand new C2 or an updated model. The distributor agreed and is speaking to Parasound. I suspect they don't have any brand new C2s left so not sure what will happen. keeping my fingers crossed for a C3

You mention that yours is not under warranty, does the warranty not transfer as it is 10 years which is longer than the unit has been out?
post #270 of 3340
Thread Starter 
February is the word on the street
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread