or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I am concerned about some posts where owners experienced buzzing from their speakers (especially the one that said Parasound indicated it was normal).

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

As I have mentioned before we own the Parasound Halo A51 and A23 power amps. They are hooked up to our ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-pro with 1 meter EMOTIVA XLR balanced cables and our power amps are D E A D Q U I E T. I can not hear a thing, nothing, nada. They are supurb.

If someone is having a hum problem with their Parasound amps, send them back and get them replaced or repaired if they are still under warranty. Parasound has outstanding customer service

By the way, we love the sound of our Parasound HALO amps and they are worth every penny... no regrets!
post #332 of 3340
thanks Pal
the cables are QED Revelation
its just that im short of funds and after investing in the snells and denon 4308 im looking for a cheap but matching power amplifier
himadri
post #333 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

As I have mentioned before we own the Parasound Halo A51 and A23 power amps. They are hooked up to our ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-pro with 1 meter EMOTIVA XLR balanced cables and our power amps are D E A D Q U I E T. I can not hear a thing, nothing, nada. They are supurb.

If someone is having a hum problem with their Parasound amps, send them back and get them replaced or repaired if they are still under warranty. Parasound has outstanding customer service

By the way, we love the sound of our Parasound HALO amps and they are worth every penny... no regrets!

Thanks.
post #334 of 3340
Any Parasound amp owners using it to drive Magnepans?

How well do Maggies and Parasound amps play together?

For reference I'm considering a Parasound 5250 and may consider getting maggies later.
post #335 of 3340
Hello,

I am looking into a possible change in amplification later this year (much later, due to wallet issues), and have assembled a tentative list of contenders. I've just added the Parasound JC-1 monos to that list. I'm currently using 2 pair of 200wpc B&K monos to drive my Mirage M3-si speakers (6 ohms nominal impedance, 4 minimum, recommended power 100–300 watts) and I'm not unhappy with the sound, but wonder if I could replace the two pair with one pair of something that will be as good or better. It's a stereo setup.

I'd use the JC-1s at the low bias setting to preserve power and keep them somewhat cool; my rack has only 8" per shelf. Also, what would maximum power consumption be at 6-8 ohms? The manual gives 1280 for max output into 4. I'm concerned, even though I wouldn't expect to come anywhere near max power output, because these (or whatever I get) would run on a regular household non-dedicated line. Any input from JC1 owners on power or other considerations would be appreciated.
post #336 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello,

I am looking into a possible change in amplification later this year (much later, due to wallet issues), and have assembled a tentative list of contenders. I've just added the Parasound JC-1 monos to that list. I'm currently using 2 pair of 200wpc B&K monos to drive my Mirage M3-si speakers (6 ohms nominal impedance, 4 minimum, recommended power 100-300 watts) and I'm not unhappy with the sound, but wonder if I could replace the two pair with one pair of something that will be as good or better. It's a stereo setup.

I'd use the JC-1s at the low bias setting to preserve power and keep them somewhat cool; my rack has only 8" per shelf. Also, what would maximum power consumption be at 6-8 ohms? The manual gives 1280 for max output into 4. I'm concerned, even though I wouldn't expect to come anywhere near max power output, because these or whatever I get) would run on a regular household non-dedicated line. Any input from JC1 owners on power or other considerations would be appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm considering the Parasound Classic 5250 (5x250wpc @ 8 ohms, 5x385wpc @ 4 ohms, max power requirement 2500 watts at full output) and Richard at Parasound assured me that a regular 15 amp household circuit was fine.
post #337 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Any Parasound amp owners using it to drive Magnepans?

How well do Maggies and Parasound amps play together?

For reference I'm considering a Parasound 5250 and may consider getting maggies later.

Hello,
I have used Martin Logans with Parasound amplification for years. Given they both pose similar challenges to a partnering amplifier, I think you will be fine.

I would recommend either a used HCA-2205AT or used/new A51 or A52. These amplifiers have much higher current, larger power supplies, and higher amount of filter capacitance than do the New Classic Series (5250,2250, etc)

If on a budget, I highly recommend a used 2205 as it has a 2 kVA toroidal transformer and 150,000uf capacitance. For comparisons sake, the A51 has a 2.2 kVA transformer and 164,000uf of capacitance. Both were designed by John Curl as well and are unbelievably similar. However, the 2205 can be found for around a grand while the A51 sells for 5k.

Parasound does not list the power supply for the New Classic Series but does say the 5250 is capable of 45 amps per channel whereas the 2205/A51 are rated at 60 amps per channel. The New Classic Series does not have nearly as much power and current as the Halo/HCA Series.
Cheers,
AD
post #338 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello,

I am looking into a possible change in amplification later this year (much later, due to wallet issues), and have assembled a tentative list of contenders. I've just added the Parasound JC-1 monos to that list. I'm currently using 2 pair of 200wpc B&K monos to drive my Mirage M3-si speakers (6 ohms nominal impedance, 4 minimum, recommended power 100-300 watts) and I'm not unhappy with the sound, but wonder if I could replace the two pair with one pair of something that will be as good or better. It's a stereo setup.

I'd use the JC-1s at the low bias setting to preserve power and keep them somewhat cool; my rack has only 8" per shelf. Also, what would maximum power consumption be at 6-8 ohms? The manual gives 1280 for max output into 4. I'm concerned, even though I wouldn't expect to come anywhere near max power output, because these or whatever I get) would run on a regular household non-dedicated line. Any input from JC1 owners on power or other considerations would be appreciated.

Hi Prepress -
I just purchased a pair of JC-1s a couple weeks ago as well as an A51 which I use for center and surrounds. All three are plugged into an old Powerwedge 116 which is plugged into a standard outlet. I'm running the JC-1s on high bias and most of the time, only the JC-1s are running, but my Classe SSP-800 is set up to trigger the A51 when I watch video and need surround sound. The JC-1s are driving Usher Dancer Mini 2s which are 4 ohm loads and they have more than enough power to drive these speakers to any volume level I want...probably more!

I have not experienced any problems with these amps tripping the 15 amp breaker (even with all three running) so I wouldn't worry about it. These do run hot though and I am going to have to find a way to get some air exchange going in the 300 cubic foot closet I have my equipment racks in. While I do have fans built in to the closet door to vent some heat, it gets to 95 degrees+ in there when all the equipment is crankin'!

BTW, the JC-1s have two sets of speaker connections on them so you can run bi-wired if you want.

As I replied to someone else on this thread, drop a note to Parasound, they'll be able and happy to answer all of your questions. I have never heard the B&Ks, but the JC-1s are stellar (as is the A51, but the JC-1s are clearly in another league) and I won't be looking at amps anytime soon.

Happy listening,
post #339 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Not sure if this helps, but I'm considering the Parasound Classic 5250 (5x250wpc @ 8 ohms, 5x385wpc @ 4 ohms, max power requirement 2500 watts at full output) and Richard at Parasound assured me that a regular 15 amp household circuit was fine.

No, that's good to hear. The other concern might be surges at turn-on. I notice the watt meter on my line conditioner jump a few amps when the B&Ks are turned on. The JC-1s are more power-hungry. At the best opportunity, if the JC-1 becomes a serious contender and not just one of a list of six, I'll dig into this more seriously. But the McIntosh MC501 monos are also good on a regular line, so it would be reasonable for the JC-1s also.
post #340 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post

Hi Prepress -
I just purchased a pair of JC-1s a couple weeks ago as well as an A51 which I use for center and surrounds. All three are plugged into an old Powerwedge 116 which is plugged into a standard outlet. I'm running the JC-1s on high bias and most of the time, only the JC-1s are running, but my Classe SSP-800 is set up to trigger the A51 when I watch video and need surround sound. The JC-1s are driving Usher Dancer Mini 2s which are 4 ohm loads and they have more than enough power to drive these speakers to any volume level I want...probably more!

I have not experienced any problems with these amps tripping the 15 amp breaker (even with all three running) so I wouldn't worry about it. These do run hot though and I am going to have to find a way to get some air exchange going in the 300 cubic foot closet I have my equipment racks in. While I do have fans built in to the closet door to vent some heat, it gets to 95 degrees+ in there when all the equipment is crankin'!

BTW, the JC-1s have two sets of speaker connections on them so you can run bi-wired if you want.

As I replied to someone else on this thread, drop a note to Parasound, they'll be able and happy to answer all of your questions. I have never heard the B&Ks, but the JC-1s are stellar (as is the A51, but the JC-1s are clearly in another league) and I won't be looking at amps anytime soon.

Happy listening,

Hello there,

Thanks for the input. I have Sanus Euro racks so there'd be only .375" of clearance on top of the JC-1, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. High bias is 25w at class A; normal is 10w. Have you run them on normal, and if so was there a significant difference in sound quality? My biggest concern with these amps is their heat and power consumption (250w at idle!). It'd be nice if they came in black, too. Still, the sound is very good from what I read so they're on my list. Based on Michael Fremer's review I should like them.
post #341 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello there,

Thanks for the input. I have Sanus Euro racks so theyre'd be only .375" of clearance on top of the JC-1, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. High bias is 25w at class A; normal is 10w. Have you run them on normal, and if so was there a significant difference in sound quality? My biggest concer with thes amps is their heat and power consumption (250w at idle!). It'd be noce if they came in black, too. Still, the sound is very good from what I read so they're on my list. Based on Michael Fremer's review I should like them.

No, I haven't run them on low bias. In my Middle Atlantic rack, I have more clearance than you have, but I don't have the 6" like they say to have in the manual...prolly more like 4". If you get them, you are definitely going to have to get some air moving around these with that type of clearance.

As for you question about powering them on and power draw, the amps have delays on them so you can set them up so they don't turn on at the same time.
post #342 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I have used Martin Logans with Parasound amplification for years. Given they both pose similar challenges to a partnering amplifier, I think you will be fine.

I would recommend either a used HCA-2205AT or used/new A51 or A52. These amplifiers have much higher current, larger power supplies, and higher amount of filter capacitance than do the New Classic Series (5250,2250, etc)

If on a budget, I highly recommend a used 2205 as it has a 2 kVA toroidal transformer and 150,000uf capacitance. For comparisons sake, the A51 has a 2.2 kVA transformer and 164,000uf of capacitance. Both were designed by John Curl as well and are unbelievably similar. However, the 2205 can be found for around a grand while the A51 sells for 5k.

Parasound does not list the power supply for the New Classic Series but does say the 5250 is capable of 45 amps per channel whereas the 2205/A51 are rated at 60 amps per channel. The New Classic Series does not have nearly as much power and current as the Halo/HCA Series.
Cheers,
AD

Thank your for the response and recommendations. I guess it would help to know how much power/current would be plenty for the Maggies and at what point does it become overkill (I know some audiophiles would say there is no such thing!).

Many years ago (about 1981?) I owned a pair of Maggie SMGs and drove them with a Hafler amp (125wpc) with no problem. The Parasound 5250 is quite a bit more powerful than the Hafler so I would expect it wouldn't have a problem driving Maggies.

I'll contact Magnepan also and see what they say.
post #343 of 3340
Anybody have experience powering Vienna Acoustics w/ a Parasound? I blew most of my HT budget on speakers and looking for a reasonable used amp to power them. Got my eye on a used HCA-1205A (200w x 5 @ 4ohms) to power 2 Mozarts Grands, 2 Waltz Grands, and Maestro Grand.
post #344 of 3340
For JC1's with the Sanus Euro rack use the 12" rods - 4" more clearance than the 8" rods. For the JC2 i use 8" rods. Helps that you can put casters on this rack.
post #345 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell View Post

For JC1's with the Sanus Euro rack use the 12" rods - 4" more clearance than the 8" rods. For the JC2 i use 8" rods. Helps that you can put casters on this rack.

You, sir, have just opened a can of spaghetti. This means that, if I can score some of those, NONE of the amps on my list are off limits due to height limitations. The full list:

Parasound JC 1
McIntosh MC501
Emotiva XPA-1
Odyssey Stratos Extreme
Odyssey Stratos
Cambridge Audio 840W
B&K Reference 200.1

Those first three presented a challenge due to height (and for the Macs and Emos, weight also). Plus the JC 1s run hot. But I will explore those 12" rods. Perhaps the normal bias setting on the JC 1 plus the extra clearance will mitigate heat concerns; they'd also consume less power in low bias. Do they have a short break-in time? I'd think these amps break in and warm up quickly.
post #346 of 3340
Richard Schramm told me Parasound Amps have virtually zero warm-up time, due to circuit design, so you don't need to leave them on all the time. He did say the power company would thank me, though, if I chose to do so. (I have the A52).
post #347 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Richard Schramm told me Parasound Amps have virtually zero warm-up time, due to circuit design, so you don't need to leave them on all the time. He did say the power company would thank me, though, if I chose to do so. (I have the A52).

Yes, the JC 1s use 250W each at idle. I could imagine doing that during the summer along with the AC. I could also imagine having no money left due to the electric bill. However, I continue to read and investigate. An e-mail to Parasound may be in order.
post #348 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Yes, the JC 1s use 250W each at idle. I could imagine doing that during the summer along with the AC. I could also imagine having no money left due to the electric bill. However, I continue to read and investigate. An e-mail to Parasound may be in order.

FWIW, I don't leave any of my Parasound amps on all the time (2 JC-1 monoblocks, 1 A-51) and they sound great to these ears at start-up. The monoblocks turn on for 2-channel and the A-51 comes on when I switch to surround sources and turn-off when I switch back to 2-channel sources.
post #349 of 3340
I should correct myself, the 250W idle stat is for the high bias setting; according to Richard at Parasound this roughly halves if one uses regular bias.

Too bad these don't come in black. But more important, I'll have to proceed carefully, as there may be pay cuts at work and the JC 1 isn't cheap. Best to continue my research for now, as the plan was for any new amps to be a birthday (October) or Christmas present to myself. We'll see what happens.
post #350 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

I looked around and see no actual Parasound owners thread, lots of off shoots, like an a51 thread and the sort but no official PARASOUND thread, so this is it! We welcome all into here that are looking, have questions about, want to buy, or want to talk about Parasound Halo, New Classic and Z series! Benefits of coming in here is finding out about new things (we've been a Parasound Halo dealer for over 6 years and have a very good one on one relationship with them) getting questions answered and talking to others and getting real life experience... i may be able to coax the Parasound guys to pop in here every so often too :-) Remember keep in clean, keep it friendly and my mailbox is always open so shoot me a PM or email if you need to i answer usually within an hour or two!
Thanks for stopping in!

Hello,

I'm from Nashville(!) and go there for the Christmas holidays every other year. This year would be Nashville's turn. Perhaps, if I haven't decided on an amp by then, I could make it to your store to check out the JC 1 (assuming I can arrange transportation). I'd like to give myself a birthday or Christmas present of an amp upgrade later this year, and the JC 1 is on my short list even though at this point it's outside my budget, but stranger things have happened.
post #351 of 3340
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello,

I'm from Nashville(!) and go there for the Christmas holidays every other year. This year would be Nashville's turn. Perhaps, if I haven't decided on an amp by then, I could make it to your store to check out the JC 1 (assuming I can arrange transportation). I'd like to give myself a birthday or Christmas present of an amp upgrade later this year, and the JC 1 is on my short list even though at this point it's outside my budget, but stranger things have happened.

By all means let me know... we just did an amazing Parasound 5.1 system with Dynaudio in it in PA! Was great... you can't beat it! And welcome!
post #352 of 3340
I just ordered a P7 pre-amp from AA. Should be an improvement over running an AVR for MC music. Also to compare it for use with the TT that had been connected to a 30 year old HK Citation pre-amp, that just recently went down.
post #353 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I just ordered a P7 pre-amp from AA. Should be an improvement over running an AVR for MC music. Also to compare it for use with the TT that had been connected to a 30 year old HK Citation pre-amp, that just recently went down.

First time posting at this thread, but have been keeping up with the posts. I am contemplating ordering a P7 pre-amp, A21 and A51. I have a Oppo BDP-83SE modded by Oppo. Enjoying the dedicated 2ch analogue as well as Mch analogue DACs. I am very interested in what your experience of the P7 is as well as from others who are using any of Parasound's equipment. Richard Schram has been very generous with his time and comments. Still there's nothing like direct experience and second to that what others are finding. I am planning to also purchase from AA as well. Still in saving-up-for mode. Appreciate whatever you care to share about the P7 and everything else that relates to Parasound and AA experiences. Thank you in advance. Good fortune and listening with your new equipment. I am excited for you.
Best,
Richard
post #354 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by REShaman View Post

First time posting at this thread, but have been keeping up with the posts. I am contemplating ordering a P7 pre-amp, A21 and A51. I have a Oppo BDP-83SE modded by Oppo. Enjoying the dedicated 2ch analogue as well as Mch analogue DACs. I am very interested in what your experience of the P7 is as well as from others who are using any of Parasound's equipment. Richard Schram has been very generous with his time and comments. Still there's nothing like direct experience and second to that what others are finding. I am planning to also purchase from AA as well. Still in saving-up-for mode. Appreciate whatever you care to share about the P7 and everything else that relates to Parasound and AA experiences. Thank you in advance. Good fortune and listening with your new equipment. I am excited for you.
Best,
Richard

For what it's worth, I haven't ordered any Parasound from AA but I have ordered other products from them before and have never had a bad experience.
post #355 of 3340
You are going to love the sound of the Halo A51 and A21, they are outstanding amps.
post #356 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

For what it's worth, I haven't ordered any Parasound from AA but I have ordered other products from them before and have never had a bad experience.

Believe I've read many posts from you at the Oppo threads. Thank you for the feedback. I mentioned to Richard Schram via email that I was considering AA. He spoke glowingly of their reputation. And I have yet to read anything that was negative about AA.
Best,
Richard
post #357 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

You are going to love the sound of the Halo A51 and A21, they are outstanding amps.

Thank you double 07. Mouse, Jmouse. (Couldn't resist).
You're assessment is a pleasure to read. I know SQ is subjective, and greatly appreciate your experience and feedback. Overall, the feedback in reviews online/magazines and posts at Parasound threads are so favorable for A21/51. Read some negative experiences about hash sounding/sibilance etc. With electronics and different configurations, stuff happens. I continually read that Parasound's technical support is excellent. That has been my experience with Oppo. It all makes for a very inviting purchase down the line.
Best,
Richard
post #358 of 3340
became a parasound owner yesterday.. picked up a 2125 used for 275... thought that was a pretty good price. I'm going to use it for a 2ch system.. any recomendations for good speakers. monitor or floorstands for between $500-1200, i know wide range but if i can find the right pair. i'll be willing to go that high.. I'm thinking of getting some energy RC10s for the time being though while saving up some money.
post #359 of 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by REShaman View Post

Thank you double 07. Mouse, Jmouse. (Couldn't resist).
You're assessment is a pleasure to read. I know SQ is subjective, and greatly appreciate your experience and feedback. Overall, the feedback in reviews online/magazines and posts at Parasound threads are so favorable for A21/51. Read some negative experiences about hash sounding/sibilance etc. With electronics and different configurations, stuff happens. I continually read that Parasound's technical support is excellent. That has been my experience with Oppo. It all makes for a very inviting purchase down the line.
Best,
Richard

FWIW, I love the sound of my JC-1 monoblocks/A51 set up. Only downside is they throw off a lot of heat.
post #360 of 3340
I notice in a review on Enjoy the Music.com that the JC 1 offers a "Relay-Bypassed Soft Start Circuit." This is said to cut the surge at turn-on by 50%. This is a major plus, and I wonder how much current we're talking about. Is there a way I can find that out? Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread