or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parasound Owners Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 3344
It's probably been covered somewhere in this thread but I have a question about the Halo A-51. Does this amp require a 20A line to be installed or can I power it safely off a typical 120V outlet?
post #962 of 3344
A51 manual states a power consumption of 3000 watts into 4 ohms-that would be comfortably over 20 amps, amp being driven at max. rated output
post #963 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

It's probably been covered somewhere in this thread but I have a question about the Halo A-51. Does this amp require a 20A line to be installed or can I power it safely off a typical 120V outlet?

Its only a matter of looking to see if that circuit has a 15 amp breaker or a 20 amp breaker. If its only a 15, then replace it with a 20.
All circuits should be 12 ga wire. The exception is if a circuit is an all light fixtures only circuit, then it might be only 14 ga wire.
post #964 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Its only a matter of looking to see if that circuit has a 15 amp breaker or a 20 amp breaker. If its only a 15, then replace it with a 20.
All circuits should be 12 ga wire. The exception is if a circuit is an all light fixtures only circuit, then it might be only 14 ga wire.

I have no idea how to differentiate between a 15a and 20a breaker, is it explicitly denoted text? I'll have to check the circuit box myself. The local electrician I had over today told me that in the living room where my HT gear is, all of the wire will be 14 gauge and that he'll have to run a new line of wires all the way to the circuit box (from the outside of the house,) which is about 100 feet away. He said that all of the outlets in the kitchen (adjacent to the HT) are 20A but in the living room, it's 15A. He didn't look at the circuit box though and pretty much just provided that info by surveying the living room, and mentioned that all of the outlets in this area are probably on the same circuit.
post #965 of 3344
All breakers are marked as to what they are. As for the wire used in the LR, I don't know why it would be only 14ga. Unless its a really old house.
All the houses I ever worked on all had 12ga for the outlets. 14ga was only used on circuits that were ceiling lights only.
My last house I changed out one or two breakers that were15 amps with 20 amps. Never had a problem.
post #966 of 3344
Hmm i'll see if I can check for myself if it's 12 gauge or 14, that would certainly make it much easier and cheaper if it is 12. The house is actually not that old (built within the last 10 years.)

I'm going to make another appointment with a non-independent electrician today, I'll make sure to ask him to verify what gauge the wire is. In case it's 14 and we need to re-wire...for 2 separate circuits, i'd need 2 runs of this wire, each run going into it's own pole on this 20A Circuit Breaker, is that correct?

Thanks for all the info!
post #967 of 3344
Two separate circuits requires two breakers. There are double breakers, that have two breakers, but take up the same physical space of one regular breaker. I used those when I built an addition and was running new circuits to the addition. But each half of those new breakers were 20 amp.
post #968 of 3344
Understood, so a "double pole" is not the same as a double breaker. Nice that these devices are cheap, i'll just buy 2 single pole breakers if I have space.
post #969 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

Understood, so a "double pole" is not the same as a double breaker. Nice that these devices are cheap, i'll just buy 2 single pole breakers if I have space.

A double pole is for 220V line, as for a dryer or kitchen stove, which the wire has 4 leads; one being the ground, with a neutral (white) and two hot (black, red).
post #970 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

Touché! I had an old Integra 890 stereo receiver and a Denon 2900 player, both of which I picked up on eBay. First I upgraded the player to the Oppo 95, then added the Parasound P7 pre, then the A51. At every point along the way I heard a big improvement but the A51 is what made my setup really shine. And, yes, it does seem to get even better with time. Honestly, I never thought it could sound this good.
I hear ya man adding the Parasound amp was the frosting on the cake for me and my 80.3 and 95 love it !!
post #971 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

All breakers are marked as to what they are. As for the wire used in the LR, I don't know why it would be only 14ga. Unless its a really old house.
All the houses I ever worked on all had 12ga for the outlets. 14ga was only used on circuits that were ceiling lights only.
My last house I changed out one or two breakers that were15 amps with 20 amps. Never had a problem.

I guess it depends on where you live and what code required at the time the house was built. I'm not sure what you consider a "really old house", but my house was built in 1991 and has 14g wire for most circuits/outlets in the house. So in my case I would have to have new wire run if I wanted to upgrade to 20 amp breakers.

However, I've never had a problem with the existing 15 amp breakers, so I'm not inclined to pursue such an upgrade. BTW, I actually tested the peak current draw of my setup which includes 60" plasma, Parasound 5250 amp driving 5 channels, and a 500 watt powered sub along with a pre/pro and various source gear. Turning everything on including all lights on that circuit (which I never do) and playing a battle scene from Lord of the Rings cranked up to reference level (again, which I don't normally do), the peak amp draw was less than 5 amps.

That said, I want to stress how important it is to use the proper gauge wire if changing breakers to a higher amp rating. Put a 20 amp breaker on wire of insufficient gauge and you risk burning your house down!
post #972 of 3344
I run everything off a 15 amp circuit. My power conditioner (APC H15), which powers everything in my home audio rig, is rated 15 amp. I don't know what the wire gauge is for sure but I did take off the cover of the outlet I use to power my rig and peered inside with a flashlight. From what I could see, my guess is the wires are 14 gauge. My understanding is that is current code for most home outlets, except kitchen, laundry, etc.

One thing to be aware of is that one should never use a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp circuit. Furthermore, a 20 amp circuit must use a 20 amp outlet, which is distinguished by the "cross" on the outlet for the large prong.

I have an A51 and have never had a problem tripping the breaker. Sometimes the H15 detects a momentary drop in voltage as the amp first powers up. I think this is normal and not unexpected.
Edited by davee70 - 7/16/12 at 10:36am
post #973 of 3344
I have a c2 for sale with all accesores in excellent condition, if anyone is intetrested, drop me a pm, thanks
post #974 of 3344
I have an A51 and spoke with Richard several times. He recommends using 15amps and enjoy the music. 20 is not needed.
post #975 of 3344
Hello,
While a 20 Amp Circuit could not hurt, I have been using my HCA-2205AT for over a decade on a 15 Amp Circuit. The 2205AT forms the basis of the A51 and the differences in Power Supply are quite small. The 2205 uses a 2.0 kVA Toroidal Transformer and 150,000uf Capacitance compared to the A51 using a 2.2 kVA TT and 164,000uf of Filter Capacitance. In addition, I have been using Martin Logan Electrostatic Speakers that dip to 0.8 Ohm for both Mains (Vantage) and Surrounds (Vista) and the Stage Center Channel.
For 6 months, I had all 5 connected to my 2205AT and it did wonderfully. That being said, I usually use either my Aragon 8008bb or Parasound HCA-3500 to drive my Vantages.
Cheers,
AD
post #976 of 3344
I gotta say that I love the sound the A23 puts out. It was a huge upgrade in terms of sound quality over the Crown pro amp I used prior.

post #977 of 3344
I had an improved sound with my A21, and now that I've put about a 100 hours or so on it, I wonder if Parasound owners could suggest a pre-amp for 2 channel. I've read some luke warm comments about the P3, but can't remember what amp it was paired with. The 2100 seems like pretty good bang for buck, but I want the best SQ I can get. Would the P7 be the same as the P3 just with more channels? The JC series is over my budget at this point.
post #978 of 3344
Hello runnin-I have had a P3/A23 for 8 years now and personally found them outstanding-why not give the P3 a personal try? You can get one from Audio Advisor, the only internet factory authorized reseller, with free shipping, and 30 day satisfaction trial-don't like it-get your pruchase price back, or exchange it on something else?
post #979 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I had an improved sound with my A21, and now that I've put about a 100 hours or so on it, I wonder if Parasound owners could suggest a pre-amp for 2 channel. I've read some luke warm comments about the P3, but can't remember what amp it was paired with. The 2100 seems like pretty good bang for buck, but I want the best SQ I can get. Would the P7 be the same as the P3 just with more channels? The JC series is over my budget at this point.

Did you notice an improvement to the sound due to the 100 hours of play time? Not sure if that's what you meant. My dealer told me to expect it to break in but I am a bit skeptical...
post #980 of 3344
I couldn't for sure detect an improvement with the break in period, but there was a significant improvement over my old amp.

As far as the P3 goes, I wonder if anyone has compared it to the 2100 or the P7. I'd just like to get an idea of what the differences might be. Of course, from what I understand I could just phone Parasound, apparently Richard is very helpful.
post #981 of 3344
One basic difference between the P3/P7(Halo line) and the 2100(Classic line) is frequency response measurement data is +/-1db for Halo, and +/-3db for Classic line-you can compare specs. at the Parasound website. The Halo, P7 is a 7 channel preamp.
post #982 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Did you notice an improvement to the sound due to the 100 hours of play time? Not sure if that's what you meant. My dealer told me to expect it to break in but I am a bit skeptical...

I definitely heard an improvement on the A21 with a bunch of burn in. It was edgy to start and settled down considerably. Very pleased with my P7 and A21 combination. I made sure to thank John Curl personally for his design work at the CAS last week.
post #983 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf250 View Post

One basic difference between the P3/P7(Halo line) and the 2100(Classic line) is frequency response measurement data is +/-1db for Halo, and +/-3db for Classic line-you can compare specs. at the Parasound website. The Halo, P7 is a 7 channel preamp.

It sounds like the P3 is a step up from the 2100 then. What I'm curious about is whether the P7 is a step up on the P3. Even if it's a 7 channel, I'd run it in my 2 channel system.

Jive, is your P7 in a 7 or 2 chanel system? What are your thoughts on the SQ?
post #984 of 3344
I believe both the 2100 and P7 have HT bypass, P3 does not. If the P3 sounds as good as the P7 and had HT bypass, that would be killer.
post #985 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

It sounds like the P3 is a step up from the 2100 then. What I'm curious about is whether the P7 is a step up on the P3. Even if it's a 7 channel, I'd run it in my 2 channel system.
Jive, is your P7 in a 7 or 2 chanel system? What are your thoughts on the SQ?

My P7 is used in seperate two channel (music) and 7.1 channel (movies) systems. The only thing they share are the dual subwoofers. I love everything about it, except that you have to make sure to turn it on and set it to Bypass to get the subs incorporated with the movie system. The 2100, you do not have to turn it on. The P7 is more transparent sounding than the 2100. I also had an issue with the 2100 that it would create a loud thump through my subs when I'd turn the preamp off. Not the case with the P7.

The main thing to me is that the P7 is better with music than the 2100 was. To some, that's not big enough to spend the difference, but to me it was.
post #986 of 3344
Runnin',

Glad you're enjoying your A21.
As for Preamp, if you like the Halo sound and style, I'd seriously consider the Parasound C2. Panzer on this thread is selling one. Alternately, ebay/audiogon. The C2 is a magnificent preamp with fantastic sound. In addition to standard 2 channel stereo, it offers sophisticated bass management if you choose to include a sub. Also includes Burr Brown DAC supporting 24/96 decoding (though not 192 I'm afraid) with 4 optical and coax outs. The C2 is no longer available new from Parasound as the European company Parasound partnered with for 7.1 circuitry has folded. I could not be happier with sound, build quality, connections, interface, styling, and customer support. Please note, C2 does not have an integrated phono or USB connection. If you need one, consider adding the V series from Musical Fidelity.

Arlo
post #987 of 3344
The P7 has a great sounding phono preamp and has analog bass management capability for its 8 stereo inputs. Every two channel system needs a sub (or two) to sound its best and the P7 allows you to high pass to your speakers and low pass to your sub at either 50 or 80 Hz. And you never know, one day those two sets of multichannel inputs might come in handy. The P7 is a unique piece of gear and may not be available forever. However, unlike a pre/pro it will never be obsolete.
post #988 of 3344
It sounds like for options and SQ the P7 gets the nod, kind of what I'd suspected.
post #989 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post

The P7 has a great sounding phono preamp and has analog bass management capability for its 8 stereo inputs. Every two channel system needs a sub (or two) to sound its best and the P7 allows you to high pass to your speakers and low pass to your sub at either 50 or 80 Hz. And you never know, one day those two sets of multichannel inputs might come in handy. The P7 is a unique piece of gear and may not be available forever. However, unlike a pre/pro it will never be obsolete.

I agree, and in particular want to second the motion on the phono stage. I sold off a Moon LP2 outboard phono stage once I bought the P7, which gives me a very natural sound to my vinyl that I listen to almost daily.
Edited by Jive Turkey - 8/12/12 at 8:06am
post #990 of 3344
Hey all, looking at a refurbished 5250v2 with 5 channel output. Have found it for $2200. Am wondering how it would compare, sound wise, to the A51. There is about a $2300 delta between the two. I am not really an audiophile per se, but do enjoy good music. Will mostly be tv, movies with some Pandora/itunes thrown in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Parasound Owners Thread