or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › **Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 51

post #1501 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenni View Post

Lg bd370

Hi blenni, maybe check if the LG BD370 has the lastest firmware update.
post #1502 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camz View Post

Ok i solved my problem...evidently all HDMI cables aren't made equal. I bought some $4 cables off the web a while back. Now, when using the cheap cables to run from the bluray player to receiver, that suited its purpose...however that cable wouldn't suffice as the cable to run from the AVR to the TV...perhaps not the most up to date cable? My dad had a rocketfish cable from best buy that did the job.

Generally, speaking, the basic spec for HDMI cables should work for almost any situation. High speed cables are needed for some non common situations (xvYCC at 1080p maybe, or 1080p 3D.)

Some cables may not meet even the basic spec for some reason.
post #1503 of 1926
Newegg has the RX-V665 and RX-V467 each for $330.

I would like the 7.1 in the 665, but is there any compelling reason to pick the 467 over the 665?

This would be used with a Polk Audio RM 510 set with Monitor 60 fronts.
Connect to a DVD player and Apple TV. Not needing a whole lot, trying to keep it simple and best bang for the buck.

Was also looking at the RX-V567 Newegg has for $430, but between the choices I would go cheaper.

Is there a regular day of the week Newegg has any of these receivers cheaper?
Saw the 565 was pretty cheap yesterday and it's not available today so I missed out on that.
post #1504 of 1926
RX-V467 has 105 watts per channel. The 665 has 90.

However. the 665 has pre-outs that will allow you to hook up external power amps. Yamaha's internal amps are not industrial strength
post #1505 of 1926
Yes. I called LG and read them the firmware version ID.
post #1506 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenni View Post

RX-V467 has 105 watts per channel. The 665 has 90.

However. the 665 has pre-outs that will allow you to hook up external power amps. Yamaha's internal amps are not industrial strength

Sounds like your are generalizing. Each model should be assesed on it's own merits.

The 667 power supply, for example, is considerably better than the 665 to name one example.

It's not easy to compare receivers heads up. There are better and worse power supplies in any price tier, and maybe in one Yamaha is better than Onkyo or whatever, and in another it's worse.
post #1507 of 1926
I'm not claiming it was a "White" paper. I agree. But for my requirements, I would pick the 665 of the 2 because of its pre-out capability. I have fired a lot of Yamaha receivers internal amps.
post #1508 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenni View Post

RX-V467 has 105 watts per channel. The 665 has 90.

However. the 665 has pre-outs that will allow you to hook up external power amps. Yamaha's internal amps are not industrial strength

Both those receivers have a 270 watt power supply. The 467 is rated 105 x 5 whereas the 665 is 90 x 7. If you measure the 665 with only 5 channels it'll probably be 105 x 5 also. Of course both those power ratings are at 1khz and not 20hz - 20khz so the actual power is probably quite a bit less.

The only reason to get the 467 would be if you need 1.4 HDMI inputs for 3D. Otherwise I'd get the 665 since it does have preouts plus multichannel inputs and is 7.2 instead of only 5 channel.
post #1509 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Crosswy View Post

Newegg has the RX-V665 and RX-V467 each for $330.

I would like the 7.1 in the 665, but is there any compelling reason to pick the 467 over the 665?

This would be used with a Polk Audio RM 510 set with Monitor 60 fronts.
Connect to a DVD player and Apple TV. Not needing a whole lot, trying to keep it simple and best bang for the buck.

Was also looking at the RX-V567 Newegg has for $430, but between the choices I would go cheaper.

Is there a regular day of the week Newegg has any of these receivers cheaper?
Saw the 565 was pretty cheap yesterday and it's not available today so I missed out on that.

Dell has the V665 for $169 w/ FS (+ Tax in some states)

Can be combined with 10% Bing Cash back with keyword "laptop" to make it even better

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...216f9fp0c0s441

Don't know how long this will last but hopefully that helps you make up your mind?
post #1510 of 1926
Dell deal is gone.
post #1511 of 1926
Dang, can't believe I missed that.

Guess I'll wait around for another deal on the 665 or something similar.
I keep missing these by a few hours.
post #1512 of 1926
I have the 565 running in a 5.1 configuration in our bedroom and currently am not using the rear channels. One of the differences between the 565 and 665 is that the 565 does not have zone 2 outputs. Is there any reason that I could not hook up a set of remote speakers in the guest room and run them off the rear speaker connections and set the rears to bi-amp? Would they not be treated just as the main front speakers? Could they be set to large? I realize that there would not be separate volume control but that is not a problem. Thanks for any input.
post #1513 of 1926
Zone 2 Whole House Setup
I currently have an old NAD receiver- hooked up to ITunes. I use it to send music to three sets of speakers. I am using a Monster speaker selector and have volume controls at each speaker location. There are some benefits to switching to zone two on the Yamaha but also some questions.

Can the receiver handle this additional load?

Will I be happy with the sound quality?

PS. the reason I am asking about the sound quality is it will be some work to make the change.
P.S.S. I also thought about using the NAD as an external amp-- the problem is the Yamaha does not have a switched outlet.

Thoughts Anyone?
post #1514 of 1926
I'd use the NAD. I would minimize the use of the amp in the 665.
post #1515 of 1926
Just wanted to say thanks for the help regarding the Yamaha RX-V665 and also the info on the forums. I was able to pickup the RX-V765 on newegg this morning for $380, figured the 765 was worth the $50 premium over the 665.

Info on these forums and the responses helping me decide between different receivers helped to make the decision to get the 765 at a discount.

Thank you!
post #1516 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Crosswy View Post

I was able to pickup the RX-V765 on newegg this morning for $380, figured the 765 was worth the $50 premium over the 665.

Yeah, I got that email from NewEgg as well, and if I hadn't just bought an open box 565 at Best Buy a couple months ago, I would have jumped on that 765 in a heartbeat. Congrats on landing a great deal!
post #1517 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Crosswy View Post

Just wanted to say thanks for the help regarding the Yamaha RX-V665 and also the info on the forums. I was able to pickup the RX-V765 on newegg this morning for $380, figured the 765 was worth the $50 premium over the 665.

Info on these forums and the responses helping me decide between different receivers helped to make the decision to get the 765 at a discount.

Thank you!

Agreed. The much better and beefier amp on the 765 is more than worth the premium. 95 WPC 20hz - 20khz, 2 channels driven, vs the 665 90 WPC @ 1khz.
post #1518 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Agreed. The much better and beefier amp on the 765 is more than worth the premium. 95 WPC 20hz - 20khz, 2 channels driven, vs the 665 90 WPC @ 1khz.

Yeah I was checking the specs this morning, as earlier I hadn't considered the 765, and noticed that difference in the wattage. After I saw that I decided waiting any longer would be unwise and went on to buy it. I don't need the 3D capability yet and at that price I felt like I was getting some great sound and power.

Speakers came in today (Polk Audio RM510 set and Monitor 60s for fronts) and can't wait for this receiver to get in so I can hook it all up.

Been without surround sound or a decent sound system for movies for a couple years now. It's gonna be a Christmas in July.
post #1519 of 1926
Hello all! I found out about this receiver on dealnews.com from Dell for $169 shipped. I read some reviews, and JUMPED on it. Two days later Dell canceled the order due to wrong pricing!. I had read all 50 pages hear and was bummed. I ended up buying one from Amazon for $300 shipped anyway! My previous unit was a Marantz SR-19, prologic only, using bi-amped adcom 555's driving Vandersteen 4's, Vandersteen center channel, driven by a Marantz Ma-7, in ceiling surronds, A kilowatt of old school watts may seem like overkill, but the Vandersteens are power hungry! Anyway, this amps sounds great! I have only had it for a day, but the best thing I can say about it is I don't hear it, ie it just sounds right. I was skeptical that it this price point it would be this good, but I love it!

Now for my first question to you folks. I have read the manual, and I think that feeding it a dolby digital signal via dvd, using straight mode will decode DD, but on my old SR-19 an indicator would tell me that for sure. On the RX-665 the speaker indicator shows the same lights on in either DD, or prologic correct? So to confirm DD I press the info button and check decoder mode, is that right? I take it that in straight mode, if there was no DD signal it would use prologic II?
post #1520 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterich View Post

Now for my first question to you folks. I have read the manual, and I think that feeding it a dolby digital signal via dvd, using straight mode will decode DD, but on my old SR-19 an indicator would tell me that for sure. On the RX-665 the speaker indicator shows the same lights on in either DD, or prologic correct? So to confirm DD I press the info button and check decoder mode, is that right? I take it that in straight mode, if there was no DD signal it would use prologic II?

The little speaker icons are displaying the output, not the input. PLII is for 2-ch sources, PLIIx is for making 7.1 from 5.1. Whatever decoder you use for a given input will be remembered for THAT input. Since PLII has no effect on 5.1 sources, you can just leave it on for that input and it will function when a 2-ch source is on. The info button should display both the source codec and the decoder in use.
post #1521 of 1926
In doing some listening to two channel analog, pure direct sounds much better to me, anyone else notice that?
post #1522 of 1926
Please let me know if you can play Blu-rays with DTS MA. I have a 665 and a LG BD370 and I have to hit the options button on the 665 to get sound.
post #1523 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterich View Post

In doing some listening to two channel analog, pure direct sounds much better to me, anyone else notice that?

The actual effects of the "direct" mode can vary depending on the source. But in essence it bypasses ALL YPAO setup, EQ, bass management, etc. If it sounds "better" it can be due to different levels or just due to faulty YPAO setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenni View Post

Please let me know if you can play Blu-rays with DTS MA. I have a 665 and a LG BD370 and I have to hit the options button on the 665 to get sound.

Sounds like a setup issue in the player. You should be bitstreaming DTS-MA to the 665 over HDMI.
post #1524 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterich View Post

In doing some listening to two channel analog, pure direct sounds much better to me, anyone else notice that?

Not in my case. Pure Direct circumvents the YPAO room correction. The two channel Stereo in Straight mode sounds better in my case.
post #1525 of 1926
I have the BD set to Primary Pass Through. I don't know of any settings on the 665 related to bitstreaming.
post #1526 of 1926
Help me under stand, I thought that YPAO set levels of speakers/crossover to sub, size of speakers, not tonal characteristics. It changes the frequency curves being sent to the speakers? I am not sure on high end speakers that would be good. I know this may sound insane, but i'm driving 5k speakers with this!
post #1527 of 1926
After I did some research I redid YPAO with it set to front, it now sounds much better, I don't have blue ray (yet), so I can't comment on those issue.
post #1528 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterich View Post

After I did some research I redid YPAO with it set to front, it now sounds much better, I don't have blue ray (yet), so I can't comment on those issue.

I'd recommend using "flat" for most cases. The best application of "front" is when your L-R speakers are by far the best and have a naturally flat response. Flat will attempt to EQ all speakers, individually, to a flat response. Where front attempts to EQ all speakers to match the L-R speakers. Any room issues, reflections, etc, will skew the "front" curve out of whack. Suggest trying each curve for a couple weeks and see how you react to them. The one thing you generally don't want to use is "natural", which rolls off the highs significantly.
post #1529 of 1926
OK, i need some help with getting a harmony remote to turn on zone 2. I have added a new device rx-665 zone 2. No matter what I do, the rx-665 wont turn on zone 2! I have added an activity listen to fm zone 2. turn on zone 2, leave other devices alone. selecting that activity turns on main zone, and selects fm. pressing the help button never turns on zone 2! Everything else works great on the remote. I have spent hours trying to resole this. Upon googling this, on post suggested deleting the RX-655 and readding with both zones. I wonder if anyone else has solved this. I am not lazy, but since all else is dailed in, I thought I might ask the gurus here!
Thanks for the help in advance
post #1530 of 1926
Never mind, I deleted device zone 2, added it back, added activities, seems to work now, will double check tomorrow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › **Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread