or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › **Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 1926
anyone else having problems when using Pure Direct while listening to music. when i stream songs from a media player (TVIX S1 Slim) the pure direct clicks off and back on in between songs which makes an annoying clicking sound and also chops off the first second or two of the next song because it shuts off and turns back on. anyone else encounter this?
post #1682 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post

Thank you, HunterZ0, but sadly, just as noah2631 warned me, I waited too long and it went out of stock at Newegg. And, this being a discontinued model, I doubt they will restock.

Fortunately, its "older brother", the RX-V1065, is closely priced now, so I guess that will be the one for me.

This morning, Amazon had a "2 hour special" on the Yamaha RX-V1065 for... $279.99.

I get emails from them almost daily with "specials" this time of year.
You should create a "wish list" on their site, (if you haven't already) and check it daily, as the prices change quite often.

I would definitely check on Amazon on Black Friday. Last year I got some fantastic deals on HT gear.
post #1683 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah2631 View Post

This morning, Amazon had a "2 hour special" on the Yamaha RX-V1065 for... $279.99.

I get emails from them almost daily with "specials" this time of year.
You should create a "wish list" on their site, (if you haven't already) and check it daily, as the prices change quite often.

I would definitely check on Amazon on Black Friday. Last year I got some fantastic deals on HT gear.

Yeah, I found about that sweet deal from Amazon... maybe not even an hour after it expired. I could not believe it myself.

Anyway, I had already ordered mine from 6th Ave just the day before, reduced to $371 + taxes as some kind of pre-Black Friday special deal. The Amazon lightning deal was way better, of course, but I comfort myself thinking that $400 for a receiver that was going for more than $1,000 when it was first released it's not half bad a deal, either.

(actually, the Amazon deal was from them, too)

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be B Stock or whatever.
post #1684 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be B Stock or whatever.

There are no "authorized" sellers of B-stock Yamaha, except Yamaha themselves. No authorized Yamaha sellers should be selling b-stock. At least that's the way it's always been in the past.
post #1685 of 1926
I have the 665 for 2 months i dont know if it is running blu ray tru ps3 would decodes Tru Hd or Dts and would say it infront of the reciever? im set up with 5.1 and options more im using is the DSP mode. i dont know if im losing function that i dont know? please help!
post #1686 of 1926
If you have a slim PS3, set HDMI AUDIO OUT to BITSTREAM, then you will see lossless in your AVR, either by light on the front or via the OPTION > SIGNAL INFO
post #1687 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
I hate local service technicians...

My RX-V765 has a very noticible buzz/distortion coming from the front L tweeter and a slightly quiter buzz/distortion coming from the front R tweeter as well.

I tried three different sets of speakers, re-cutting the speaker cable, and changed the speaker wire altogether - nothing. It also does it in all modes (HDMI, AV, AUDIO) and doesn't matter if the TV, cable box, or any input source is on. Just the speakers and receiver will reveal the noise.

So I called Yamaha and got the service tech to give me the local shop that fixes it (only one in my city). I dropped it off and was told that things usually take about 2 weeks at the most. Two weeks later I still hadn't gotten a call, so I phoned them and they told me that they were really busy and that my receiver hadn't been looked at yet. I was ticked.

They said they'd get the tech to look at it that day and get back to me. Sure enough I got a call that afternoon saying that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I take the receiver home, hook it up with a new set of PSB towers I purchased the previous week and sure enough...the buzz is still there. How could anyone miss it???

So I called Yamaha back and they suggested I sent it to them. The thing that sucks is that now I go without the receiver for another two weeks AND I have to pay for shipping there.

Just a real piss off. Anyone have any suggestions?
I've been travelling alot over the past while and haven't been able to address this issue.

But just an update, I recently finished my basement and moved my entire system downstairs.

Unfortunately the buzz is still there and since getting new PSB towers the distortion has become more apparent. I've gone through the motions of connecting and disconnecting various inputs and outputs from the receiver to see if something is causing the noise, but no luck.

3 different sizes of speakers all have the same problem. Speaker cable has been changed.

It has to be the receiver. But as I mentioned before, I parted with it last year for a full two weeks only to have them say "nothing is wrong".

What should I do?
post #1688 of 1926
Any chance there may be some electrical interference causing the noise? Without re-reading your post I assume everything you've tried has been in the same residence. Can you possibly take it to a friend's house? I know it's a hassle. I also know how frustrating it is to have the only person with the power to fix your problem be totally unaware of it. There's a difference between hooking your receiver up on a test bench and checking output as opposed to sitting down for ten minutes and actually listening to it. Chances are, even if you carefully explain the problem to the tech you'll still get the once-over-lightly treatment. They need to move on to the next assignment. Good luck on this one!
post #1689 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
Unfortunately the buzz is still there and since getting new PSB towers the distortion has become more apparent. I've gone through the motions of connecting and disconnecting various inputs and outputs from the receiver to see if something is causing the noise, but no luck.


It has to be the receiver. But as I mentioned before, I parted with it last year for a full two weeks only to have them say "nothing is wrong".

What should I do?
Take it back to the local shop and ask them to hook it up to a set of speakers while you're there. See if the noise is still there. You might also consider taking along the SOURCE component that's connected when you hear the noise, since that's where such a noise is potentially coming from.

And on the same subject, is the noise still there if you completely disconnect ALL source components?
post #1690 of 1926
I have had a similar problem with my 765 where I have a popcorn hour hooked up via hdmi and it created a buzzing sound in any input whether the popcorn hour was turned on or not! I simply had to remove the popcorn hour from that receiver to get rid of the buzz.

I currently have my receiver into Yamaha for repairs because I intermittantly lose the right channel when playing back any source. The only way to correct it was to run the YPAO process and get the channel going again. At 1st this happened once a month but last week it happened 4 times in a day where I would lose the channel completely. When a run YPAO the static that moves to all speakers would be faint when it moved to the right channel and then become louder as it pulsed away. I'm hoping the repair tech will be able to see this as its very annoying and intermittant. I've had Yamaha receivers for the last 20 years and this one is the 1st to give me trouble. Will advise on the outcome.
post #1691 of 1926
any device that is connected to the receiver can make a weird noise, whether it is on or not, and cable boxes can make visual or audio noise even if it is unplugged due to the signal in the coax.
Advice: Disconnect everything from the 765, then connect one thing at a time, and test it for the buzz as you do so...
post #1692 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

Unfortunately the buzz is still there and since getting new PSB towers the distortion has become more apparent. I've gone through the motions of connecting and disconnecting various inputs and outputs from the receiver to see if something is causing the noise, but no luck.

I had buzzing from two different problems - one was from a dimmer switch used for overhead lights where I had two many lights on one switch. I finally realized that the buzzing was less when the light wasn't on. I got rid of the dimmer.

2nd - I live in a house built in 1964. Most of the outlets have been upgraded to grounded outlets except of course the one that sits beside my home theater. I fixed the outlet and the buzzing went away completely.

Your issue may be different but these are a couple more ideas to consider.
post #1693 of 1926
and on a different note, does the rx-v665 process dsd over hdmi?
post #1694 of 1926
For some reason I just realized that my xbox 360 is shown as having PCM and it only highlights the front left, right, and subwoofer on the speakers section of the display. Any ideas? I have hdmi and have 360 set to dolby digital. It displays DD and all 5.1 speakers when watching tv and blu rays. Thanks guys.
post #1695 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtv View Post

and on a different note, does the rx-v665 process dsd over hdmi?

Yes.
post #1696 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtv View Post

and on a different note, does the rx-v665 process dsd over hdmi?

It accepts DSD and converts it to LPCM for processing. This is also true when you use "direct" mode.
post #1697 of 1926
I've been ripping my hair out over this issue for months, and I still can't figure out what is wrong.

I have a PC connected to the HDMI input of the V665 and for some reason, the receiver seems to shrink the output so that there are black bars around all four sides of the picture. I checked the signal info and it shows that the input and output signal is 1080p. It only happens to my PC input. All other inputs (WDTV live, PS3) all output fine.

I thought this was an issue with my projector until I recently tried plugging the HDMI output of the receiver to a 1080p LCD HDTV. It seems that the problem is definitely isolated at the receiver.

I have enclosed pics to show what I mean.




Can anyone help me with this?
LL
LL
post #1698 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Take it back to the local shop and ask them to hook it up to a set of speakers while you're there. See if the noise is still there. You might also consider taking along the SOURCE component that's connected when you hear the noise, since that's where such a noise is potentially coming from.

And on the same subject, is the noise still there if you completely disconnect ALL source components?

Yes. Just two nights ago I completely disconnected everything except for the speakers. The distortion was still as evident as ever.

Sadly the local shop is out of town. I got it when I was in another city visiting my brother.

The above post is a good idea though, taking it to another persons place to see if it's an electrical issue with my home (potential). It's an older home, but the basement was newly renovated with entirely new electrical and the problem was the same.
post #1699 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

It's an older home, but the basement was newly renovated with entirely new electrical and the problem was the same.

Problems being caused by lamp dimmers, wireless routers, cordless phones and such are not uncommon.
post #1700 of 1926
I'm going to take it over to my brothers place and see if we spot the problem.

Thanks guys.
post #1701 of 1926
And for the record, I do have all of my basement pot lights on dimmers, but the receiver did make the same noise upstairs when there were only side table lights.
post #1702 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by csice View Post

For some reason I just realized that my xbox 360 is shown as having PCM and it only highlights the front left, right, and subwoofer on the speakers section of the display. Any ideas? I have hdmi and have 360 set to dolby digital. It displays DD and all 5.1 speakers when watching tv and blu rays. Thanks guys.

This happens to me on occasion with my Xbox as well.
Does it happen all the time?
I believe it may be more an issue with the Xbox rather than this receiver.
post #1703 of 1926
Put your xbox in stereo mode, and then put it back in Dolby Digital mode in the settings in the Xbox.

That should fix it. Happens to me all of the time, and when I switch it in the xbox setting, and switch it back, DD 5.1 kicks back on.
post #1704 of 1926
Hi guys, lots of great info in this thread, and I hate to have my first post be a question but I picked up a 665 yesterday and I'm rather happy with it except for one minor detail, I have a PS3 slim plugged in via HDMI1 then outputting to the TV.

I was hoping to be able to listen to the radio while playing the ps3 but as soon as i select FM the screen goes black and doesn't return until I select HDMI 1 again. But then i lose the radio.

Any ideas how to get around this or will I just have to suck it up?
post #1705 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenCam View Post

Hi guys, lots of great info in this thread, and I hate to have my first post be a question but I picked up a 665 yesterday and I'm rather happy with it except for one minor detail, I have a PS3 slim plugged in via HDMI1 then outputting to the TV.

I was hoping to be able to listen to the radio while playing the ps3 but as soon as i select FM the screen goes black and doesn't return until I select HDMI 1 again. But then i lose the radio.

Any ideas how to get around this or will I just have to suck it up?

The only way to do this would be to bypass the receiver all together and connect your PS3 directly to the TV.
post #1706 of 1926
The buzzing sound and intermittant sound loss from my right speaker was finally traced back to a faulty Monster Cable connecting the receiver to the amplifier. This was a bear to diagnose because it would work sometimes and not other times. Just really glad I finally got it diagnosed. It was really odd that the YPAO signal would temporarily correct the issue for a short period of time. In Monster Cable's defense, my rca cables were about 20 years old, so I got rid of all five channels to be safe.
post #1707 of 1926
good news!
post #1708 of 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

I've been travelling alot over the past while and haven't been able to address this issue.

But just an update, I recently finished my basement and moved my entire system downstairs.

Unfortunately the buzz is still there and since getting new PSB towers the distortion has become more apparent. I've gone through the motions of connecting and disconnecting various inputs and outputs from the receiver to see if something is causing the noise, but no luck.

3 different sizes of speakers all have the same problem. Speaker cable has been changed.

It has to be the receiver. But as I mentioned before, I parted with it last year for a full two weeks only to have them say "nothing is wrong".

What should I do?

UPDATE!

I finally snapped and sent the receiver into Yamaha's main servicing centre near Toronto. The gentleman who helped me out was awesome and promised to put my unit to the front of the line because of the previous issue at the independant service centre.

After about 5 days they found the problem - there was an issue with the transistors - and have now replaced all of them in the unit. I hope/expect this is the last of my distortion issue, and the last issue I have with my receiver in general.

My understanding is that the problem ratio for these units is wildly low, just bad luck that I got one that has a problem. Oh well.
post #1709 of 1926
Final update...

All of the transistors in my 765 were replaced and the unit made it back to me yesterday. It came back in perfect shape, not a scratch or even a finger print to be found. If anyone has any reservations about sending their unit directly to Yamaha, don't be.

They also took the opportunity to update my firmware while it was in the shop. A nice touch.

I had to re-run YPAO and adjust my settings all over again but the sound is absolutely perfect. No distortion, no crackling. Nothing.

Right in time for the holidays.
post #1710 of 1926
Congrats! Glad you got your issue corrected. And nice to know about the quality of the repair job too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › **Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread