or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Can an XBox (original XBox, not 360) ouput 720P video ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can an XBox (original XBox, not 360) ouput 720P video ?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hello. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first flat screen TV. Since my budget is pretty limited, I'll probably wait a few months before I get a PS3 as a Blu Ray and streaming media player. In the mean time, I have my original modded XBox which I currently use for streaming video from my file server. I know this console can output games at 720P and I was wondering if it would play videos at 720P also.

I am currently using XBMC as my dashboard and intend on using it to play videos on my new flat screen TV if it can output video in 720P.

Your help would be really helpful.

Thanks !
post #2 of 27
Yes it can , look in the XBMC options (it can do 720p and 1080i) .

- Jason
post #3 of 27
Yes and no.....

XBMC can do 720p, but the xbox is not powerful enough to do native 720p video. It can upscale 480p video to 720p great, though.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Yes and no.....

XBMC can do 720p, but the xbox is not powerful enough to do native 720p video. It can upscale 480p video to 720p great, though.

QFT. Anything over 480p native will cause massive stuttering, if it even plays at all.
post #5 of 27
Xbox can play 720p res vids
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Xbox can play 720p res vids

How about some proof? I've tired more than I can remember and not a single one has played....
post #7 of 27
Unfortunately, no. I never quite understood this either. I know the original Xbox had some games that could output a 720p signal, so I assumed you could stream 720p videos to it, but alas, that's not the case. If only it could do WMV-HD.
post #8 of 27
720p Xvids which are encoded from 720p h264 vids play fine on the Xbox if you use DVDPlayer and Low Quality Pixel Shader setting in XBMC. There can be some frames dropped in scenes containing rain or snow but overall its fine.
post #9 of 27
You can also playback low bit-rate 720p MPEG2 on XBMC for Xbox. Really though, transcoding for the Xbox is a pain, and most of the time you would be better off with good quality 480p/540p instead of mediocre 720p.

The most perfectly suited videos that I have ever seen for XBMC for Xbox were in vogue for about a year, right before MKVs became popular. They were TV show rips encoded at 960x540 XVID with AC3 audio at 700MB per 43 minute episode. Upscaled to 720p by the Xbox, they looked excellent.
post #10 of 27
there used to be a company that added ram and swapped out the 733mhz with a 1.4ghz.... but i'm not even sure if that would help.
post #11 of 27
Didnt soul calibur output at 720p on the original xbox.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

You can also playback low bit-rate 720p MPEG2 on XBMC for Xbox. Really though, transcoding for the Xbox is a pain, and most of the time you would be better off with good quality 480p/540p instead of mediocre 720p.

The most perfectly suited videos that I have ever seen for XBMC for Xbox were in vogue for about a year, right before MKVs became popular. They were TV show rips encoded at 960x540 XVID with AC3 audio at 700MB per 43 minute episode. Upscaled to 720p by the Xbox, they looked excellent.

Basically, I am thinking of streaming MKV's files to the XBox. Would this file format cause a problem with the XBox ? I have plenty of SD stuff that I can stream to the XBox but I wanted to sample a few 720P files I currently have on hand. What's your take on MKV's files ?
post #13 of 27
"Didnt soul calibur output at 720p on the original xbox."

Yes, there are a handful of original Xbox games that output at 720p/1080i. This fact has nothing to do with the topic at hand though. Please actually read the thread before replying.
post #14 of 27
"What's your take on MKV's files "

You'll get about 1 frame every 2 seconds... on a good day.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Didnt soul calibur output at 720p on the original xbox."

Yes, there are a handful of original Xbox games that output at 720p/1080i. This fact has nothing to do with the topic at hand though. Please actually read the thread before replying.

Was that necessary? So smug.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"What's your take on MKV's files "

You'll get about 1 frame every 2 seconds... on a good day.

I wish I'd had 1 frame every 2 seconds... Must have been a bad day !

Oh well, the according to many sources, the Sony is about to drop the price of the PS3 so I'm gonna wait a few weeks and get one when the new prices are announced. Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 a few days ago so it Sony should react soon... Fingers crossed !
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2jpt View Post

I wish I'd had 1 frame every 2 seconds... Must have been a bad day !

Oh well, the according to many sources, the Sony is about to drop the price of the PS3 so I'm gonna wait a few weeks and get one when the new prices are announced. Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 a few days ago so it Sony should react soon... Fingers crossed !

That was more than a few days ago You'd be hard pressed to find a better streaming unit at the $199 price point than the 360 Arcade.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

That was more than a few days ago You'd be hard pressed to find a better streaming unit at the $199 price point than the 360 Arcade.


The 360 does work well for streaming, but even when streaming, the 360 can be somewhat noisy. I would imagine that there must be some kind of cheapo set-top box that is specifically designed just to be something one can stream various video formats to. You'd think there would be some box for like $99.99 or something, that wouldn't consume as much power as a PS3 or Xbox 360 does. I kinda feel bad for running my PS3 or 360 while streaming videos. It seems like I'm wasting a ton of horsepower and wattage just to stream a movie to the living room.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The 360 does work well for streaming, but even when streaming, the 360 can be somewhat noisy. I would imagine that there must be some kind of cheapo set-top box that is specifically designed just to be something one can stream various video formats to. You'd think there would be some box for like $99.99 or something, that wouldn't consume as much power as a PS3 or Xbox 360 does. I kinda feel bad for running my PS3 or 360 while streaming videos. It seems like I'm wasting a ton of horsepower and wattage just to stream a movie to the living room.

Can't you just cut out the middle-man and stream straight from the pc??
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

That was more than a few days ago You'd be hard pressed to find a better streaming unit at the $199 price point than the 360 Arcade.

As odd as it may sound, I'm not into the XBox. I got this one free when a friend of mine had it replaced by his insurance company after the basement was flooded. The thing is, water never touched the darn thing but the insurance company bought a new one and left the "damaged" behind. He gave it to me for parts but I tested it and it worked so it has been a permanent fixture in my living room for the last 4 years. It made me discover video streaming and I just couldn't live without it now.

The PS3 will be used for both streaming and as a blu ray player which the 360 can't do. Now, if you can find me a device than can do both as well as the PS3 for under 399 $ Can, let me know and I might change my mind. In the mean time, my money is on the PS3.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2jpt View Post

As odd as it may sound, I'm not into the XBox. I got this one free when a friend of mine had it replaced by his insurance company after the basement was flooded. The thing is, water never touched the darn thing but the insurance company bought a new one and left the "damaged" behind. He gave it to me for parts but I tested it and it worked so it has been a permanent fixture in my living room for the last 4 years. It made me discover video streaming and I just couldn't live without it now.

The PS3 will be used for both streaming and as a blu ray player which the 360 can't do. Now, if you can find me a device than can do both as well as the PS3 for under 399 $ Can, let me know and I might change my mind. In the mean time, my money is on the PS3.

Not one device but two! A 360 Arcade for streaming and the best gaming experience around, and a stand alone BR player for your movies.
post #22 of 27
"Not one device but two! A 360 Arcade for streaming and the best gaming experience around, and a stand alone BR player for your movies."

Terrible advice. Why would anyone want two devices to do the job of one?

Regardless, both the 360 and PS3 are horrible crap compared to an Xbox running XBMC when it comes to streaming. The only advantage that they do have is the ability to decode HD video, but only if you are willing to conform your video to their very strict codec choices. In exchange, you give up a good interface, flexibility, and a very wide range of format support.

If you are going to have to transcode your 720p MKVs anyway to conform to the PS3/360's codec choices, then you may as well just transcode to the 540p xvid/AC3 format that I mentioned earlier. At least with that you get to keep the good interface of XBMC, with no quality loss. Really, there isn't more than 540p's worth of visual information in the common MKVs that you find in the wild.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Not one device but two! A 360 Arcade for streaming and the best gaming experience around, and a stand alone BR player for your movies."

Terrible advice. Why would anyone want two devices to do the job of one?

Because the 360 is the better gaming machine, and stand alone players use a normal remote! Just because its not what YOU would do, doesn't mean its terrible advice.
post #24 of 27
Have you looked into Popcorn Hour? I've heard good things about it.
post #25 of 27
I had a popcorn hour, but sold it. I found that it didn't really compare to xbmc and the features set, even though it did play 720/1080p material.. I'm currently looking for something to replace the xbox xbmc but will do HD material.

It's looking more and more like a HTPC with some sort of remote.. I can see some advantages to this as well, seeing that I could put it on standby all the time, as well as quickly change any settings I need to or upgrade any scripts... hmmm.. but now to find something cheap enough.
post #26 of 27
lencurrie - In the Digital Media Server section of this forum is an XBMC thread going. We have been experimenting with other devices to run XBMC on, such as the AppleTV, Mac Mini, and cheap dual-core PCs. You might want to join us over in that thread.

Personally, I just dropped $200 to build a cheap Athlon X2 system, which I am in the process of getting XBMC Live running on (basically XBMC+embedded Linux).
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Can't you just cut out the middle-man and stream straight from the pc??

My PC is located on the other side of the house, compared to where the living room is. I could run a super long VGA cable or something, but I just didn't think that would be practical.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Can an XBox (original XBox, not 360) ouput 720P video ?