or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official KDL...XBR9 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official KDL...XBR9 Thread - Page 94

post #2791 of 2886
I would say the HX729 or the HX820 would be "equivalent" because they are 240Hz and have the Pro engine.
post #2792 of 2886
I just moved my XBR9 to my bedroom and am now without an AVR, Is there any way to hook up external speakers without going through an AVR. I have a pair of Klipsch media speakers that worked well when hooked up to the headphone jack on a Samsung that I'm retiring.
post #2793 of 2886
The Audio Out outputs on the back and side are 500 mVrms according to the manual. That's not enough to drive your speakers without passing the signals through an amplifier. If you have an old stereo amp laying around that would do it, or you could check the want ads for one. You could probably find a new one online for a couple hundred bucks.
post #2794 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

The Audio Out outputs on the back and side are 500 mVrms according to the manual. That's not enough to drive your speakers without passing the signals through an amplifier. If you have an old stereo amp laying around that would do it, or you could check the want ads for one. You could probably find a new one online for a couple hundred bucks.

Yeah - you're right. But your comment made me remember that I do have an old mini-multi purpose tuner/cd (no longer working) lying around that has an RCA "Aux" input that I'll hook up this weekend and see how it sounds.
post #2795 of 2886
I've had this problem a while with my kdl-40xbr9. it won't retain the new channels that it scanned and would revert back to previous channels after the tv powers off for a little while. This happened when all the HD channels from TWC was changed to a different frequency/setting and I had to do a new channel scan to get them back on all my TVs. However, my sony wouldn't retain the setting even though it can get the channels while the tv is on. When I change to antenna, then the tv would scan just fine, but once it's off and is turned on again, the tv would not be able to display any channels. Same thing with the tv guide, no retention of the downloaded programming. it errors with update through internet and usb. I've tried multiple times. Also tried multiple resets by holding the up and pressing power on the tv and repeated settings with no luck. No problem on actual picture quality. Can still play fine from my PS3 or computer, but very annoying because it takes 1/2 hour to scan all the channels over each time just to watch my HD stations. Any idea any one? Please help.
post #2796 of 2886
Another victim of the dreaded "tab bonding" problem with the Sony line of XBR9 TVs. When I purchased this TV new, it cost me roughly $2,500. It was also the best TV that Sony made at the time and (I believe) the largest.

At Sony's behest, I took it to a local Sony-authorized technician. The tech inspected the TV over a week and came to the conclusion (at the cost of $100 to me) that the LCD panel has failed. They called me and told me that they see this all the time and to get Sony to sell me a deeply discounted new TV. They gave me the part # (which is no longer made) and the event number to provide to Sony.

I contacted SonyListens. SonyListens forwarded me to Sony customer service who offered me a refurbished TV of "equal or greater" quality to the one I lost for $679 + tax. I wanted to know what model they were sending me. They couldn't tell me, repeating over and over again from their script that it would "have all the same features or better features" as my TV. I asked why I would want to spend $679 on the same problematic TV or, perhaps worse, on a mystery model that I would not know until I was unboxing it in my house.

I demanded a customer service manager. The manager came on and proceeded to set me up for an offer for a new TV. I thought we were getting somewhere. Then, Sony offers me the KDL-55EX500, basically one of the most bare bones TVs Sony makes... for $900. If pressed to, I bet I could find a comparable deal online.

The 55EX500 is not the 1st tier or 2nd tier or 3rd tier, but the 4th tier of Sony televisions. Yes, it's larger, but again, I purchased the very best they made just 2 years ago. Why would I replace it with a clearly inferior model for an, I think, exorbitant fee?

I keep telling them how I have 2 Sony TVs (well... 1 now) and 2 Sony Blu-Ray players. I recommend Sonys to my friends and family whenever asked. This will be the very last transaction I ever make with them if I am not offered a truly comparable TV.

I've seen others on this thread who have been down this path, including one user who was offered the 55HX729 (at least it looked like that was the case). Can someone offer me some advice on how to proceed? Just keep pressing them until I get something better?

Thanks for any advice.
post #2797 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post

Another victim of the dreaded "tab bonding" problem with the Sony line of XBR9 TVs. When I purchased this TV new, it cost me roughly $2,500. It was also the best TV that Sony made at the time and (I believe) the largest.

At Sony's behest, I took it to a local Sony-authorized technician. The tech inspected the TV over a week and came to the conclusion (at the cost of $100 to me) that the LCD panel has failed. They called me and told me that they see this all the time and to get Sony to sell me a deeply discounted new TV. They gave me the part # (which is no longer made) and the event number to provide to Sony.

I contacted SonyListens. SonyListens forwarded me to Sony customer service who offered me a refurbished TV of "equal or greater" quality to the one I lost for $679 + tax. I wanted to know what model they were sending me. They couldn't tell me, repeating over and over again from their script that it would "have all the same features or better features" as my TV. I asked why I would want to spend $679 on the same problematic TV or, perhaps worse, on a mystery model that I would not know until I was unboxing it in my house.

I demanded a customer service manager. The manager came on and proceeded to set me up for an offer for a new TV. I thought we were getting somewhere. Then, Sony offers me the KDL-55EX500, basically one of the most bare bones TVs Sony makes... for $900. If pressed to, I bet I could find a comparable deal online.

The 55EX500 is not the 1st tier or 2nd tier or 3rd tier, but the 4th tier of Sony televisions. Yes, it's larger, but again, I purchased the very best they made just 2 years ago. Why would I replace it with a clearly inferior model for an, I think, exorbitant fee?

I keep telling them how I have 2 Sony TVs (well... 1 now) and 2 Sony Blu-Ray players. I recommend Sonys to my friends and family whenever asked. This will be the very last transaction I ever make with them if I am not offered a truly comparable TV.

I've seen others on this thread who have been down this path, including one user who was offered the 55HX729 (at least it looked like that was the case). Can someone offer me some advice on how to proceed? Just keep pressing them until I get something better?

Thanks for any advice.

My XBR9 just started doing the samething with the blury lines after just turning it on. It goes away after 5-10 minutes which I presume is after the tv warms up. Is there a resolution and what is the best course of action in dealing with Sony on this?

As I said, right now the issue goes away after 5-10 minutes. Does the issue eventually become worse as in it never goes away?
post #2798 of 2886
Bought my KDL-52XBR9 back in November 2009 and has worked perfectly fine. Just a few days ago, the audio stopped working from my HDMI inputs. Video passes through just fine. Went through the online chat help and tried a bunch of things but ended up with her telling me to contact a sony repair center to look at it. I know the tv speakers work because Netflix movies work and have audio since Netflix is streamed through the tv and not an external unit. Anyone have similar issues or suggestions on how to fix the hdmi audio sound issue?
post #2799 of 2886
If you have a cable set-top-box an audio setting may have been changed. Give your cable company tech support a call. May or may not have helped, but good luck!
post #2800 of 2886
FYI - this may be old news to some here, but I just got this today via email - I haven't yet had any problems with my set, but I know others have - this might help... smile.gif


Notice Regarding Sony Bravia LCD TV Models KDL52Z5100 and KDL52XBR9

Dear Valued Customer:

Sony has identified a limited number of 52” BRAVIA LCD televisions (Affected Models listed above) which may develop picture anomalies on the screen related to the LCD panel.

As part of our commitment to quality, under the terms of the limited warranty included with the product, Sony will replace or exchange the panel or television for any Affected Model experiencing picture anomalies due to LCD panel failure through March 31, 2014. Please note that except as set forth in this announcement the terms of the Sony limited warranty for these products continue to apply.

In addition, customers who paid out of pocket to repair the LCD panel due to picture anomalies on one of the Affected Models prior to the date of this announcement may be eligible to be reimbursed by mail for parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please complete and submit the reimbursement claim form that can be found at http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1141 ; all claims must be postmarked by November 30, 2012. See claim form for complete terms and conditions.

Please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669 if you own one of the Affected Models, and believe that your television is experiencing the symptoms as specified above. If a panel failure is confirmed, the appropriate arrangements will be made to address the issue.



Sincerely,


Tim Brison, Senior Vice President
Post-Sales Support and Promotions
Sony Electronics, Inc.
post #2801 of 2886
I've received this same email today as well.
post #2802 of 2886
i didnt receive any emails.
the only issue i have is the cloudiness on the all black screen. it definitely has gotten worse since i bought it, but it's only really noticeable when the screen goes mostly black.
getting almost as bad as my 40" xbr3 that we still have....(on a side note, somehow it must have reset itself and has been in vivid mode for who knows how long..only noticed it when i realized it wasnt in full pixel mode anymore).

i cant justify buying a new one until one of them totally dies though. no 3d tvs in my house yet.
post #2803 of 2886
bkushin, thanks for sharing. I have a 52KDLXBR9 that I bought refurbished in 2011, no problems yet, but as I read these posts I dread to think of what lies in store for me down the road.
post #2804 of 2886
Registered to post this...

Many many thatnks to user bkushin who posted the email from Sony. I have a KDL-52XBR9 that I purchased in Dec of 2009 that developed the tab bond problem about 2 months ago. Since I did not purchase an extended warrantee, I thought I was stuck with a bum TV.

I contacted Sony at the number in bkushin's post and the CS rep took my details and asked several qusetions about the symptoms. She said she would send them on to the technical folks and they would contact me if my TV qualified. Another CS rep called me back in about 5 hours and said my set did qualify for a replacement. She offered me a KDL-55HX750 which she said would be delivered in 5-7 days and they would pick up the XBR9 at that time.

Seems to be a pretty fair deal as current prices for the HX750 are the same as what I paid for the XBR9 and the HX750 is a 55-in set while the XBR is 52-in.

They did require a credit card number, so I gave them a temporary from my bank that I use in these situations.

All in all, I am very happy with how Sony has dealt with this.
post #2805 of 2886
My TV automatically downloaded "critical" update aa0206pf just now. Curious what that's all about.

There should be a law that a changelog must be posted prior to any software update to anything.
Edited by ckeegan - 7/19/12 at 4:52am
post #2806 of 2886
just turned on my 52xbr9 and received the "Software update is complete" message. aa0206pf is the update. Hope its something good! wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #2807 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoarBoy View Post

just turned on my 52xbr9 and received the "Software update is complete" message. aa0206pf is the update. Hope its something good! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I just got it too on 46" XBR9. What can be so "critical" that they push it without user confirmation?
post #2808 of 2886
Good question... According to Sony, the only benefit is the inclusion of Hulu Plus.
post #2809 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Good question... According to Sony, the only benefit is the inclusion of Hulu Plus.
The link you provided tells about FW aa0195fn. This one is aa0206pf
post #2810 of 2886
This new update probably won't be available at the Sony website for a couple of weeks, that's not unusual. Then we'll be able to see what it includes.
post #2811 of 2886
I actually contacted Sony on this one after it happened and they couldn't find anyone internal that knew it happened or what it was about. It was rather disappointing. They couldn't even confirm for me that the file had come from Sony but the file name 'looked like something [they] would use'. Sigh....

Rj
post #2812 of 2886
Thanks to users, bkushin and thePiranhaBro and all members contributing to this thread. I also have same timeline of tab bonding problem for my 52XBR9 that thePiranhaBro had. I contacted Sony and was offered KDL-55HX750 as a free replacement. I am very happy that Sony offered a replacement. I thought that I would be stuck with a broken TV since I did not purchase extended warranty. Kudos to Sony for doing what is right. However, I wonder if I should have asked for what other options besides KDL-55HX750. Spec wise the set sounds ok, but black levels might not be that good? I have not received the new set yet so I can not comment on how it compared to 52XBR9. I will follow-up on my impression of 55HX750. If you received your 55HX750 replacement or other model, please share so others know what replacement that they should have opted for.
post #2813 of 2886
We are having same tab bonding problem as many others but have gave up about a fix. Had an update come thru and wanted to find out what it was so I hit Google and found this page with the notice that bkushin posted so we called Sony, the next day someone from Sony’s tech support called back to let us know that we will be getting a KDL-55HX750 said it should take 5 to 7 business days. Thanks everyone.smile.gif
post #2814 of 2886
I received my new KDL-55HX750. The picture quality is noticeably better than XBR9. It has a semi soap opera effect making the picture stand out with more detail. The black level is bad as compared to the XBR9, but it does not have any flash light effect at the corners. I'm not sure if I can change settings to get deeper black. It is very minor problem and is only noticeable if you watch the TV in the dark. If you view the TV with any ambient light, you will not notice the black level. The Tv has only one component input. Out of the box, S-Force Surround sound is off so that the audio is not as loud. Just turn it on if you need louder audio. It is a worth while upgrade as it has built-in wifi, better DLNA support, Internet Apps, Internet Browser (slow), uses less energy (LED backlit), and 3 more inches. Now, I accepted this replacement since it was free. However, you might still want to ask, are there any other models that is offered. What if Sony offered you the KDL-55HX850 (local dimming and gorilla glass) for a price?

I wish to thank Sony for the offer in replacing a defective KDL-52XBR9. Otherwise, I would have had a top of the line Sony TV that only lasted under 3 years.

Bye all, I'll have to join the KDL-55HX750 owner's forum now.
Edited by wabbit - 8/13/12 at 8:37am
post #2815 of 2886
I haven't turned on my KDL40XBR9 for a couple of weeks, and I just turned it on and received the automatic aa0206pf firmware update. However after the update, now I am having trouble getting any of the internet video/music services to work.

For example, if I clicked on the Netflix, the blue screen showed up with the while dots turning at the up-right corner for a while. And then the turning dots went away and I got only a blank blue screen. I tried to "refresh internet content" several times, turned the TV off and on, etc. but nothing worked.

Before the update, I was on aa0195fn and everything worked fine. Any one have similar problems or know what is going on?
post #2816 of 2886
Same problem with a KDL46z5100 wired with cat6. Talk to two sony tecs no help. Works fine with wireless bridge
post #2817 of 2886
i got the aa0206pf a month ago also and just got back around to thinking about what it updated. im disappointed that it hasnt posted to sonystyle site yet. this tv will turn off and on automatically when i use my dvr to record. from my brief research last year, it was thought to be a hdmi handshaking problem common on sony tvs. i love this tv soo much, i just stopped recording and just watch live tv on dvr instead. other brand tv never has this issue. after the local store had come out a few times..sony replaced it w/ same model yet issue was still there. i was just happy to see my model no info in the system menus again..lol.
post #2818 of 2886
My Sony kdl46xbr9 isn't connected to my network, so the new firmware update aa0206pf wasn't forced to my set. I'm still using aa0195fn. I've been checking the Sony website for the new update, but it hasn't been available. In reading the Sony site forums pertaining to the new update, I've discovered a number of people are having problems like the ones described on this thread. I have been updating my firmware via usb until now. According to a Sony moderator on the forum the new update contains only a minor performance and stability update. I think I'll pass on this one as it seems to cause more problems than it's worth. I have a dedicated media laptop connected to my tv via hdmi, so I can use it with the web. I had been thinking about running some cat6 from my router to the tv, but I definitely won't now, so it won't automatically push firmware updates to my tv. Sony engineers had better get this new update fixed. I think a lot of people are going to be upset with the problems it's creating.
post #2819 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

My Sony kdl46xbr9 isn't connected to my network, so the new firmware update aa0206pf wasn't forced to my set. I'm still using aa0195fn. I've been checking the Sony website for the new update, but it hasn't been available. In reading the Sony site forums pertaining to the new update, I've discovered a number of people are having problems like the ones described on this thread. I have been updating my firmware via usb until now. According to a Sony moderator on the forum the new update contains only a minor performance and stability update. I think I'll pass on this one as it seems to cause more problems than it's worth. I have a dedicated media laptop connected to my tv via hdmi, so I can use it with the web. I had been thinking about running some cat6 from my router to the tv, but I definitely won't now, so it won't automatically push firmware updates to my tv. Sony engineers had better get this new update fixed. I think a lot of people are going to be upset with the problems it's creating.

I've being running the new firmware since it came out and have not noticed any new issues or problems ....

The Issues I have existed prior to the new firmware and they are only to do with TVGOS.
post #2820 of 2886
the issues i reported were also occuring with original f/w. i then decided to update. the problem occurs once every 2 months and isnt a big deal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › The Official KDL...XBR9 Thread