or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 53

post #1561 of 6914
Vancwa,

well, it seems you can't blame it on the new update then! In fact, if the problem is on the 390 side, maybe the update could fix it. You say that it stays on once you unplug and then plug it back in, so maybe you could do that and then try to get the update. If going through that process somehow knocks you off of the router, then that helps narrow down the possible issues, I suppose. If the update goes through, maybe that solves the problem.

If you really get frustrated, you could also see whether your security settings are the issue. Try turning off the password requirements and run it just open for testing purposes. If it connects fine, then you have definitely narrowed it down.

Lastly, another way to narrow it down would be to go down to your local Best Buy, etc, and get one of those powerline adapters to try it out. It takes just a few minutes to set up and if the hard wiring solves the problem then, again, you can see where the problem lies. You can then take the powerline adapter and get your money back.
post #1562 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

Sweet. Hopefully it will get forwarded on and an update can be written to correct it.

The issue has been forwarded.
post #1563 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

Hi Vance,

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions!

When I say it "sees" my router I mean my router shows up when the player scans for "all available access point or wireless routers", however, when I try the next step - connection setting (page 21 of the manual) I get the message it failed. Hopefully, that makes sense!

I haven't been able to do the new update yet, as a matter of fact the problems started when I tried to download it - everytime I try I lose my connection- gave up after 3 attempts.

After I unplug the player I can access everything, YouTube, My Media (Nero), Netflix and CinemaNow, however, if I turn the player off and back on then I no longer have a connection until I unplug it.

Try resetting the router and make sure you are running the latest s/w for the router.

How many bars are you getting for the signal strength on the 390?
post #1564 of 6914
Spotted the new BD270 at Fry's today. $199, NO Ethernet and NO analog. That means its Profile 1.1 for life. Odd how the BD370 was selling for the same price though with far more features. I imagine the BD270 should be $50 lower. Cute little machine though.
post #1565 of 6914
Anyone ever try jamcast media server. I read you can stream pandora with it to any upnp device. I downloaded it and the LG does not appear to pick it up. It shows my computer but thats it. Maybe someone else can give it a shot.
post #1566 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

Vancwa,

well, it seems you can't blame it on the new update then! In fact, if the problem is on the 390 side, maybe the update could fix it. You say that it stays on once you unplug and then plug it back in, so maybe you could do that and then try to get the update. If going through that process somehow knocks you off of the router, then that helps narrow down the possible issues, I suppose. If the update goes through, maybe that solves the problem.

If you really get frustrated, you could also see whether your security settings are the issue. Try turning off the password requirements and run it just open for testing purposes. If it connects fine, then you have definitely narrowed it down.

Lastly, another way to narrow it down would be to go down to your local Best Buy, etc, and get one of those powerline adapters to try it out. It takes just a few minutes to set up and if the hard wiring solves the problem then, again, you can see where the problem lies. You can then take the powerline adapter and get your money back.

Unfortunately, it seems to be getting worse, now after I unplug the player it still comes back up connected, however, as soon as I try anything (including the update) I loose my connection.

Last night I hooked it up wired with an ethernet cable, still no luck.

I also have tried turning the firewall off, however, have not tried turning off hte password requirements.

I have a colleague that has the same player and he brought it to me today, I'm gonna whip home at lunch and see if I have the same issue with his player. At least then I'll know if it's the player or my router.

Sure do appreciate your help!!

Will keep everyone posted!!
post #1567 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

Try resetting the router and make sure you are running the latest s/w for the router.

How many bars are you getting for the signal strength on the 390?

Hi samsugmaster,

Thanks for the suggestion!! I did try resetting the router, however, have not checked for the latest s/w, will do so at lunch.

The signal strength is great, all bars are filled. The router is on the other side of an inside wall with no insulation (1960 2x2 inside construction), probably about three feet away. I also tried wired with an ethernet cable last night, however, still no luck.

Trying a colleagues player at lunch to narrow it down to either the player or my router.

Thanks for everyone's input - it's greatly appreciated!!
post #1568 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

Unfortunately, it seems to be getting worse, now after I unplug the player it still comes back up connected, however, as soon as I try anything (including the update) I loose my connection.

Last night I hooked it up wired with an ethernet cable, still no luck.

I also have tried turning the firewall off, however, have not tried turning off hte password requirements.

I have a colleague that has the same player and he brought it to me today, I'm gonna whip home at lunch and see if I have the same issue with his player. At least then I'll know if it's the player or my router.

Sure do appreciate your help!!

Will keep everyone posted!!

I hooked my colleagues player up at home and it connected and stayed connected. Left it there and will continue testing tonight.

He's taking my player home tonight to see if it will connect to his router.
post #1569 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

I hooked my colleagues player up at home and it connected and stayed connected. Left it there and will continue testing tonight.

He's taking my player home tonight to see if it will connect to his router.

Ah, that is good news since it should be enough evidence to get you a replacement from LG.
post #1570 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

I hooked my colleagues player up at home and it connected and stayed connected. Left it there and will continue testing tonight.

LG scares me a little regarding their quality. I have use about a half dozen BG390s so far and one wouldn't power up at all and on another the disc's flip down door would rub up against the player so at times it wouldn't open or close. At only ninety days labor and one year parts one has to give it some though. However the image itself (along with the audio) is killer.
post #1571 of 6914
I have a practically new Adventureland DVD (not Blu-ray) that plays on all my other standard def DVD players and PCs, but causes the BD-390 to choke. It almost seems to hang the BD-390 and the eject button is unresponsive for several minutes. The disk is from Netflix and looks brand new (no scratches or marks of any kind). I cleaned the disk, but it still won't work only on the BD-390. I have tried numerous other disks without any problems. FYI - I just loaded the latest firmware a few days ago.

Has anyone else tried the standard def version of Adventureland?

Also... has anyone else had problems displaying jpg files greater than 4M in size? They only display a question mark icon through MediaHome or direct load from my PC folder. However, TVersity displays them just fine. The down side of using TVersity is that it doesn't display preview thumbnails.
post #1572 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

I hooked my colleagues player up at home and it connected and stayed connected. Left it there and will continue testing tonight.

He's taking my player home tonight to see if it will connect to his router.

My buddies player worked flawlessly with my router and he encountered the same issues with my player and his router.

Did a three way call with LG and LG now claims it's both our routers faults , he just could not understand mine failed with two routers and his worked with the same two routers!! So frustrating!!

I'm trying to decide whether I get a replacement or just return and try a different manufacturer. My concern is if I ever have need for technical assistance with LG their help is clueless. This seems to be the only player with all the features and mostly good reviews.
post #1573 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

My buddies player worked flawlessly with my router and he encountered the same issues with my player and his router.

Did a three way call with LG and LG now claims it's both our routers faults , he just could not understand mine failed with two routers and his worked with the same two routers!! So frustrating!!

I'm trying to decide whether I get a replacement or just return and try a different manufacturer. My concern is if I ever have need for technical assistance with LG their help is clueless. This seems to be the only player with all the features and mostly good reviews.

Well, obviously the problem is with the player and my experience with LG tech support has been equally awful. After failing to figure out a problem I had, they simply sent me a label to send it in for repair. I found out the problem was with the Nero software they packaged with it, so sending it in would have been worthless.

I would stick with the player, just insist on a new unit. If your friend's works fine with your system, then a new one should as well.
post #1574 of 6914
I have a BD370 connected HDMI through a Onkyo TX-SR507 to an HP ep7120 projector and when I change my resolution from Auto to 720p the projector still states its still a 1080i input?

My Time Warner digital cable box is hooked up through HDMI as well through the Onkyo receiver but the projector states it is in 720p for this as that's what I have set the options for that box for.

Has anyone else observed that your BD370 is unable to actually be in 720p mode and only 1080i mode even when 720p is selected?

I would assume a 720p input to this 1024 x 768 DLP projector would look better than 1080i as its closer to its native resolution and is progressive instead of interlaced but I can't seem to get my BD370 in 720p mode.

I have also did all the firmware updates and driver updates for this player and it still wont go into 720p.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a way to fix it?
post #1575 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerovb View Post


2. I see two shares in my media, my computer name and the nero share. I can access the nero share fine, but my computer name in the servers doesn't show with a globe icon next to it. How do I access my computer's shared folders? Using Windows 7 x64 rtm

Thanks for the help!

Did you get Windows7-shares to work?
I am seeing several reports on the net of different kinds of streaming devices not being able to access Windows7 shares.

I am having this problem with an Ellion HMR-500.

Anyone here in this forum using the 390 and Windows7-shares (no Nero !!) ?
post #1576 of 6914
I have a new, fully updated 390 (which we love!). Has anyone tried the Acoustic Reality Experience audio disks? I've searched AVS and the Blu-Ray fora and understand that some players have problems with these disks, but no one every specifically mentioned the 390.
Has anyone tried them, or better still, gotten them to work? Thanks.
post #1577 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by dil727 View Post

I would assume a 720p input to this 1024 x 768 DLP projector would look better than 1080i as its closer to its native resolution and is progressive instead of interlaced but I can't seem to get my BD370 in 720p mode.

It all depends which one has a better video processor, your PJ or the BD390.
post #1578 of 6914
Hello

Well I got my BD370c today(Canada). There are some things i like and dislike about the player.

Likes:
1. Features like utube (Although quality is about 6 out of 10)
2. Plays Divx through usb (haven't tried mvk files yet)
3.Internet upgradeable (I really dont care about wifi)
4. DVD play back not to bad ( I would give it an 8/10 compared to my Pioneer DV-400v)
5. Nice looking player
6. Nice Menu's


Dislikes:
1.Divx playback picture quality(at least through usb) I would rate it as 6.5/10 compared to my pioneer
2. Can't share video files from my pc on my home network.

I am using an hdmi cable connect to my sharp aquos 42" tv.

All in all Not a bad player. The decoding quality of video files is not as good as I am accustomed to and hopefully LG will resolve this in a firmware upgrade. I am not sure if I will keep the player if the quality of the MKV files do not prove to be impressive.

This player has alot of potential. LG please improve picture quality in firmware update!

Regards
post #1579 of 6914
Hey,

I recently got myself a BD370 player and i'm very happy with it! I love the
fact that its really fast and plays Matroska .mkv files without any problems!

Still i miss some things..My current firmware is BD370-P 7.141.01.26 (European)

-NTFS support (now i have to split .mkv files in <4GB parts.)
-Warning screen: (This file may not play correctly). Can this warning turned off?
-Stream from network (play .mkv files from network source)
-Youtube HD support? (the fact is that we all bought this blu-ray device because we wanted HD quality, right )

I know the NTFS and Network options are solved in the BD390 player. Will these options also be added in the BD370 version in a future firmware release or is this just marketing that people who want more, need to buy the BD390 device.

Kind regards,

Thijs
post #1580 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijsnl View Post


I know the NTFS and Network options are solved in the BD390 player. Will these options also be added in the BD370 version in a future firmware release or is this just marketing that people who want more, need to buy the BD390 device.

Kind regards,

Thijs

Doubt it's marketing - it probably cannot be made to read NTFS (due to either technical or MS legal issues)...I would also like for it to be made to read NTFS but somehow I doubt it...
post #1581 of 6914
So the Canadian 370 can handle Divx stuff (files played through USB) but the American can not? Seems odd.
post #1582 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

So the Canadian 370 can handle Divx stuff (files played through USB) but the American can not? Seems odd.

Probably something to do with legal issues. We can do more up here in canada
post #1583 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by satafterh View Post

Probably something to do with legal issues. We can do more up here in canada

I wish we had netflix un here in canada ah lol
post #1584 of 6914
Wonder if a Canadian firmware in a US 370 would work?
post #1585 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Wonder if a Canadian firmware in a US 370 would work?


Probably would work. try it.
post #1586 of 6914
I guess it will work...

i tried putting LG_BD_370M.ROM on my USB flashdrive and when i put it in my BD370 it got detected with the right version.

Then i tried putting the LG_BD_400M.ROM file on my USB flash drive, but nothing happened.

Then i renamed the LG_BD_400M.ROM to LG_BD_370M.ROM, and guess what.. it got detected and with the right version..The filesize of these ROM files are identical.

Another intresting thing..( i dont know if iam allowed to post this here?? else mods can remove the next part)



As you can see there is written 'BD-400 4Layer' near the MT8520 core.
Would this suggest that the 370,390 and 400 are using the same motherboard? Iam not sure of that because the ROM files of the 390 are bigger (about twice the size). Besides, the 390 got wireless LAN and 1GB flash/hdd

If someone know what chip is used in the BD-390 player, it may worth a try
to find out, go to the 'setup' of the BD-390 with no disc inserted, go to Setup Aspect Ratio, press 1397139 on your remote and then press the enter key. This will show you all kind of information about your player! (i must warn that this resets your player, so settings like video/audio/network needs to configured again)

Regards,

Thijs
post #1587 of 6914
I have been doing a lot of research on which BD player to buy and decided on the LG BD390. However, I noticed that most people using this BD player wirelessly are using an "N" speed wireless router. I have a "G" wireless router. I think it should be fine because it transmits at 54 mbps which is considerably faster than my internet connection but thought I would ask.

Any one using the BD390 with a "G" network? Does it work ok?
post #1588 of 6914
Has anyone figured out how to make the BD390 region-free for DVDs? I've searched a ton for a hack, but I haven't found anything.
post #1589 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit View Post

I have been doing a lot of research on which BD player to buy and decided on the LG BD390. However, I noticed that most people using this BD player wirelessly are using an "N" speed wireless router. I have a "G" wireless router. I think it should be fine because it transmits at 54 mbps which is considerably faster than my internet connection but thought I would ask.

Any one using the BD390 with a "G" network? Does it work ok?

This may be apples and oranges so someone may feel free to correct me.

First, my 390 is connected via a Powerline adapter, so it isn't running wirelessly. However I had a similar question about being able to use my Directv DVR's to transmit and/or receive HD streams over my home network. I was advised that using a "G" network and associated speeds could cause lag and some people reported that same thing. So I went with the Powerline adapters and essentially made the DVR, as well as the 390, wired ethernet network connections at up to 200 MBps.

YMMV.
post #1590 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

This may be apples and oranges so someone may feel free to correct me.

First, my 390 is connected via a Powerline adapter, so it isn't running wirelessly. However I had a similar question about being able to use my Directv DVR's to transmit and/or receive HD streams over my home network. I was advised that using a "G" network and associated speeds could cause lag and some people reported that same thing. So I went with the Powerline adapters and essentially made the DVR, as well as the 390, wired ethernet network connections at up to 200 MBps.

YMMV.

Thanks for replying. Does the Powerline adapter pick up any static through the electrical line?

This looks like a good option and will be much easier to running network cables through my walls.

Edit: I just ordered the BD390 from Amazon. Having Netflix on demand is one of my deciding factors. Would be nice if LG add Amazon on demand. I hear that Amazon on demand has better quality but cost more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread