or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 10

post #271 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

Just curious - is there any difference between the player doing the decoding and the receiver... or do you just want your receiver's DTS MA sign to light up?

If you have a Blu-ray that has the DTS extensions, then the player will only decode and send a 5.1 audio track. So movies like Wall-E, Bolt, and X-Men 3 that have 6.1 audio tracks will only be processed as 5.1. I don't know if there is any noticeable difference, but I like to have the full audio capacity off the disc.
post #272 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

Just curious - is there any difference between the player doing the decoding and the receiver... or do you just want your receiver's DTS MA sign to light up?

For me, with 5.1 receiver, there is no difference. But, it's more than just having the receiver display the DTS-HD light--it's about having things work the way they are supposed to work.

And, now there's an issue with the work around. Last night, as I posted about, I set the player to Multi-Ch PCM. Today when I got to work my wife called me and said my son's Pokemon movie was missing some of the audio channels. It's a DVD and I'm assuming it's 5.1 Dolby Digital. She said the dialog was missing, so it seems that the 5.1 was being decoded to PCM but it was only sending L & R and dropping C.

I instructed her to change it back to Primary Pass-thru and the audio was fine. BTW, we had similar lost audio channels on Curious Case of Benjamin Button Blu-ray when the player was set to Multi-Ch PCM.

I'm going to try DTS Re-encode as a work around for now. I really hope a firmware update fixes these issues.
post #273 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

For me, with 5.1 receiver, there is no difference. But, it's more than just having the receiver display the DTS-HD light--it's about having things work the way they are supposed to work.

And, now there's an issue with the work around. Last night, as I posted about, I set the player to Multi-Ch PCM. Today when I got to work my wife called me and said my son's Pokemon movie was missing some of the audio channels. It's a DVD and I'm assuming it's 5.1 Dolby Digital. She said the dialog was missing, so it seems that the 5.1 was being decoded to PCM but it was only sending L & R and dropping C.

I instructed her to change it back to Primary Pass-thru and the audio was fine. BTW, we had similar lost audio channels on Curious Case of Benjamin Button Blu-ray when the player was set to Multi-Ch PCM.

I'm going to try DTS Re-encode as a work around for now. I really hope a firmware update fixes these issues.

That's a bummer that you're having so much trouble with your player. Maybe you got two bad players or maybe it's time to try a different model. Hope it all works out for you.
post #274 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

That's a bummer that you're having so much trouble with your player. Maybe you got two bad players or maybe it's time to try a different model. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. It's frustrating when the people at the Big Box stores don't know this stuff any more than I do. I've had recommendations from multiple employees on how to work around the issue. The worst so far was to use HDMI to the TV then optical from the TV to the receiver. I've learned to realize that when I'm talking to someone who just doesn't know this newer stuff to nod and move on.


To recap--2 weeks ago my wife gave me the go ahead to get Blu-ray and a new receiver. The receiver was to make use of HD Audio, but if I need to down-convert audio to DTS or Dolby Digital then I may as well save that $300 and go back to using my Pioneer VSX-1014tx-k and optical connections.

I feel like I'm Chicken Little here with the sky falling--and I don't want to be.
post #275 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

Thanks. It's frustrating when the people at the Big Box stores don't know this stuff any more than I do.


I am willing to bet you know much, much more than them... but that's another story.

I've been following your troubles and I have no idea what the problem is, but I did notice something once with the BD370 that I thought was strange, but didn't think much of it. It was on a DTS-HD MA movie, I don't even remember which one. I didn't have any audio at all. I thought, and was probably right, it was because my receiver is old and only has Dolby Digital, not even DTS. Now I never had that problem with the PS3, in the same situation it would sent PCM to my receiver and I still always had audio. I had to switch to PCM 2.0 channel to get sound and that worked.

Anyway, this is probably totally unrelated, I just thought I'd share.
post #276 of 6914
Maybe it's time to take a look at this being a receiver issue too. Have you considered exchanging your receiver to see if that is the issue? Just a suggestion.

I just picked up an Onkyo 607 and am not having these issues at all with either my 370, when I had it or the 390. I also had the BD370 running thru my Onkyo 705, before I received my 607, for the other room and didn't have an issue either.
post #277 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Maybe it's time to take a look at this being a receiver issue too. Have you considered exchanging your receiver to see if that is the issue? Just a suggestion.

I just picked up an Onkyo 607 and am not having these issues at all with either my 370, when I had it or the 390. I also had the BD370 running thru my Onkyo 705, before I received my 607, for the other room and didn't have an issue either.

The day I bought the BD370 I also bought a Yamaha RX-V465--the new 2009 model that does DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding. That receiver had the issue. I read a couple other reports of some audio issues with Yamaha so I took it back and bought the Pioneer VSX-819H. Same issue with the Pioneer.

Aside: Both the Yamaha and Pioneer have nice features and each have their pros and cons. I know it's off topic, but I'll outline those here for those interested.

Yamaha Pros:
4x1 HDMI
Initial Volume Setting
Speaker volume is measured in dB and on the negative scale (which I'm used to)
Yamaha Cons:
Center & surround speaker terminals are spring clips

Pioneer Pros:
All 5 speaker terminals are banana jacks/binding posts
Cheaper than the Yamaha (but not by much)
Pioneer Cons:
3x1 HDMI
No initial volume setting
Speaker volume are numbers on the positive scale
post #278 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Maybe it's time to take a look at this being a receiver issue too. Have you considered exchanging your receiver to see if that is the issue? Just a suggestion.

I just picked up an Onkyo 607 and am not having these issues at all with either my 370, when I had it or the 390. I also had the BD370 running thru my Onkyo 705, before I received my 607, for the other room and didn't have an issue either.

Oh, and just to confirm, do you have Bolt on Blu? Or Bedtime Stories? I'd love to confirm that you don't have this issue with the Onkyo--as the 507 was on my list of receivers to look at.

If you have either movie, please test with the following settings on the BD370 (some may not be relevant, but these are my non-factory settings):

HDMI Audio: Primary Pass-thru
Video: 16x9 Original
Resolution: 1080p/60


From BD370 powered off: Power on, open try, put in movie. From the movie's menu select Play--don't select any specific audio track, let the default play.

On both Bolt and Bedtime Stories the menu and all trailers played just fine. When Disney/Cinderella's castle splash screen starts, I'd lose audio. After this splash segment the movie starts, also without audio.
post #279 of 6914
according to LG manual

there seems to be a bug when setting your resolution and the FPS

it does go on and off or give a sparkly effect

Wy it can't automatically adjust to your particular disk I do not know
it keeps sending the HDMI signal lost to my projector Panny ae3000
but note that LG clearly finds this acceptable as this is in their manual" Notes:
Depending on your display, some of the resolution settings may result in
the picture disappearing or an abnormal picture appearing. In this case,
press HOME then RESOLUTION repeatedly until the picture re-appear.
post #280 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

Oh, and just to confirm, do you have Bolt on Blu? Or Bedtime Stories? I'd love to confirm that you don't have this issue with the Onkyo--as the 507 was on my list of receivers to look at.

If you have either movie, please test with the following settings on the BD370 (some may not be relevant, but these are my non-factory settings):

HDMI Audio: Primary Pass-thru
Video: 16x9 Original
Resolution: 1080p/60


From BD370 powered off: Power on, open try, put in movie. From the movie's menu select Play--don't select any specific audio track, let the default play.

On both Bolt and Bedtime Stories the menu and all trailers played just fine. When Disney/Cinderella's castle splash screen starts, I'd lose audio. After this splash segment the movie starts, also without audio.

I can confirm that I experienced the exact same issue with my 370 with the same settings as yours. My 370 was connected to my Denon 4308. I have since replaced my 370 with a 51FD and it bitstreams the same movies perfectly. So I suspect it might be a player issue. Three different receiver models all experiencing the same issue.
post #281 of 6914
The BD390 definately has problems sending audio to Denon receivers. Two separate BD 390's from Best Buy could not correctly send Dolby True HD audio to a Denon 3808. Every several minutes the audio drops out. I tried both internal decoding and bitstreaming. Oddly enough this unit does everything else well, but can not do its primary purpose (play blu-ray discs). I think I'm done with LG. I convinced myself to buy one of these units because of the added features. This is despite the fact I am one of the abandoned BH200 owners. LG has sold me one unit they refuse to update and another that can't play discs out of the box.
post #282 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

Does anyone else find the Netflix streaming of the BD370 less than ideal? I am comparing it to my XBOX 360 and it is much, much worse. The most annoying thing is that it freezes and buffers a lot more frequently, I'd say at least 3-4 times per hour and each time it takes about 2 minutes before it resumes playback. I have a relatively fast 7mb connection and the 360 hardly ever needs to buffer, and when it does it only takes about 10 seconds to resume playback.

On top of that the picture with the LG has a lot more digital artifacts. The other thing that I don't like is the speed with which it scrolls through the queue - it scrolls very slowly from one title to another.

I just upgraded to a 7.1Mbps DSL connection, so can finally watch content in HD, but before I had a 3Mbps connection (3 bars from the max), and I never once had a movie pause to buffer on me (and I streamed about 10 movies). Everything has been smooth as silk.

Are you using 1080p or 1080i while you're streaming? I've read that some people have issues when streaming in 1080p. I've been using 1080i for Netflix.

Pandora would be pretty sweet. I'd rather that over CinemaNow any day. O_o
post #283 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

Oh, and just to confirm, do you have Bolt on Blu? Or Bedtime Stories? I'd love to confirm that you don't have this issue with the Onkyo--as the 507 was on my list of receivers to look at.

If you have either movie, please test with the following settings on the BD370 (some may not be relevant, but these are my non-factory settings):

HDMI Audio: Primary Pass-thru
Video: 16x9 Original
Resolution: 1080p/60


From BD370 powered off: Power on, open try, put in movie. From the movie's menu select Play--don't select any specific audio track, let the default play.

On both Bolt and Bedtime Stories the menu and all trailers played just fine. When Disney/Cinderella's castle splash screen starts, I'd lose audio. After this splash segment the movie starts, also without audio.


I believe I might have Bolt but not sure, I'll check tonight(my wife may have purchased it). The only part I cannot test is the 1080p/60, as the TV I now have the 390 on is only 1080i(DVI connection).
post #284 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I just upgraded to a 7.1Mbps DSL connection, so can finally watch content in HD, but before I had a 3Mbps connection (3 bars from the max), and I never once had a movie pause to buffer on me (and I streamed about 10 movies). Everything has been smooth as silk.

Are you using 1080p or 1080i while you're streaming? I've read that some people have issues when streaming in 1080p. I've been using 1080i for Netflix.

Pandora would be pretty sweet. I'd rather that over CinemaNow any day. O_o


I am using 1080i, and I've tried 720. It still buffers and freezes at least 3-4 times every hour. I also have a 7MB connection, and my XBOX 360 streams really well without any problems. And I definitely see a big quality difference in the picture between the BD370 and the XBOX 360. The LG's picture is decidedly worse. The other thing that drives me nuts is that there is no display function for the Netflix streaming. You can see the elapsed time on the display on the unit itself, but pressing the display button doesn't show anything on the screen and there is no way to see the remaining time.

This seems to be also true for disc playback - the display info panel only shows the elapsed time, not the remaining time.
post #285 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

This seems to be also true for disc playback - the display info panel only shows the elapsed time, not the remaining time.

Yeah, that's probably my biggest complaint with the 390. I like occasionally checking how much time is remaining, especially with movies I get from Netflix - the run times on the envelopes aren't always accurate.
post #286 of 6914
I bought the LG BD-390 at Best Buy.
I used this coupon http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printab...s/best-buy.pdf


Total with tax was $389.24
post #287 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

The other thing that drives me nuts is that there is no display function for the Netflix streaming. You can see the elapsed time on the display on the unit itself, but pressing the display button doesn't show anything on the screen and there is no way to see the remaining time.

This seems to be also true for disc playback - the display info panel only shows the elapsed time, not the remaining time.

The no display thing is a tad annoying, and while this isn't exactly intuitive, I just hit pause to see how much time is left.
post #288 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

The no display thing is a tad annoying, and while this isn't exactly intuitive, I just hit pause to see how much time is left.


yeah, that does work for Netflix, but I don't thing it does for discs.
post #289 of 6914
Hi,

I got my BD390 today and I can confirm that it can play MKV files through USB; not from the network. I'll try to burn a DVD (with a MKV > 4Go) tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

Pass
post #290 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passgad View Post

Hi,

I got my BD390 today and I can confirm that it can play MKV files through USB; not from the network. I'll try to burn a DVD (with a MKV > 4Go) tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

Pass

Thanks for the report... Are you using a FAT32 or NTFS formatted drive connected to the USB? Also, are you familiar with AVCHD? Still looking to have someone confirm AVCHD can be played via USB.

jidelite
post #291 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

I can confirm that I experienced the exact same issue with my 370 with the same settings as yours. My 370 was connected to my Denon 4308. I have since replaced my 370 with a 51FD and it bitstreams the same movies perfectly. So I suspect it might be a player issue. Three different receiver models all experiencing the same issue.

For those following along, I decided to give up for now on the BD 370--it went back to the store. I hope LG fixes the audio bugs in firmware--as the player really was nice and it was hard to give up on it.
post #292 of 6914
Just picked up one of these last night - My first dedicated Bluray player (I have two BH-200's)

The Netflix support made it a no-brainer for me (as I am a member) and the promise of Cinema Now has me interested in joining that service also.

I saw some users says they couldn't find CinemaNow support on the unit, but in browsing the CinemaNow site is says something about registering the unit first before it becomes active.

Is this correct, or is it not yet supported?
post #293 of 6914
Just updated the BD390 software which added CinemaNow. I'm in the process of creating an account. What a great day! First I got my Red2Blu movies in the mail and now CinemaNow!
post #294 of 6914
Yea, I see they just updated the firmware to include CinemaNow. When I saw there was an update, I was expecting Pandora, with the way LG was now touting it on their webpage. BUT, this is a good start

I'm curious if there is any update notes to see if any issues have been addressed.
post #295 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Yea, I see they just updated the firmware to include CinemaNow. When I saw there was an update, I was expecting Pandora, with the way LG was now touting it on their webpage. BUT, this is a good start

I'm curious if there is any update notes to see if any issues have been addressed.



Three things I have noticed with the current update:

1. CinemaNow is available.

2. If you look at the "Network Status", there is a SETTING button next to the RETRY and OK button. I believe that this is new. Please verify.

3. The update also fixed a MKV problem that I noticed. I have three MKV sample files of a couple movies. The resolutions of each are 1920x800, 1280x720, and 1920x1040; all formatted in AVC1.

Before the update:
The 1280x720 file works fine.
The 1920x800 file had pixilation and artifact issues.
The 1920x1040 file, when played, locked up the player and eventually it automatically shutdown.

After the update:
The 1280x720 file still works fine.
The 1920x800 file works now.
The 1920x1040 file, when played, still locked up the player and eventually it automatically shutdown.

Before and after the updates, I still cannot see/turn off subtitles on the player even though I know it is available because I have watched these files on my laptop. I know how turn on the subtitle option on the player so that is not the problem, but probably a limitation of the current player firmware with MKV files.
post #296 of 6914
With everything else they added with this firmware update they also
fixed the audio dropout on Denon receivers. Don't know about the
other receivers out there that had the same problem.
post #297 of 6914
Anyone else having issues with AVCHD playback on the 370? I've tried several discs mine and one from a buddy burned straight from his Sony cam and before I updated the firmware it would not play at all. Now that I have updated the firmware with that listed on their support page it recognizes it and plays it for anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds and then gets jerrky like its stuttering maybe playing 2 or 3 frames per second and very choppy audio and it will do this for 2 or 3 minutes and then stop.

Trying to find a way around this I went and re-rendered video from my canon hf200 and watered it down to a 720p file and used tsmuxer to get the AVCHD format and burn it and still have the same problem. I gave up and went into the dealer I purchased from and tried several of the discs I made on their 370 and same no go. We then tried on several display models including a Samsung and a Sony and they played just fine.

Everything else works perfectly except the AVCHD... Firmware quirk or defect? Workarounds? Fix in the works??
post #298 of 6914
With the update. Almost all of my MKV dvd recordables work including the 1080P DL ones that didn't work before. However I can't get the AVCHD's to work when recorded to a DL disc. The ones that I have tested do work on a single layer DVD-r and on a BD-r. If they can fix the AVCHD's on DL Disc's, I would be very happy with this player. Before the update, I was ready to take it back.
post #299 of 6914
Just updated my 370 and got CinemaNow access, but haven't set-up an account yet. Turned off the player to do something else. Came back an hour later and there was a driver update as well.

Does anyone know what these updates do/did (besides adding CinemaNow)?

Also, I just went to the LG website, and it no longer mentions Pandora for the 370 (or 390 for that matter). It does mention watching videos from a USB drive, although we can't...at least not in the US anyway.
post #300 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by coar3 View Post

I bought the LG BD-390 at Best Buy.
I used this coupon http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printab...s/best-buy.pdf


Total with tax was $389.24

Thanks for the tip! I used this coupon as well!!

So far so good. I replaced the PS3 in my setup with the 390. I like it much better - the Harmony remote controls it just fine - though I could not find the "Home" button on the Harmony and had to learn it. No fan noise! this was a deal breaker for me with the PS3.

It did not seem to stream some of the videos I have on my server over DLNA - but did fine with some others and with pictures - have to figure out what it can and cannot do. The DVD upscaling does not seem to be as good as the PS3 but I can live with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread