or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 21

post #601 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Have you experienced this yourself? I have used two of the players (both BD390) and there has been zero lip sync issues with both optical and HDMI audio. This issue appears similar to the Onkyo 805 AV receiver... a few users experienced lip sync issues then tons of users who never even used the receiver did.

No, I haven't experienced these bugs myself, but I believe the other users who have. I'm pretty sure my Denon receiver would compensate for the lip sync problem, but having a player that has an angle icon popping up during playback of a movie is something I can live without.

I'll probably buy the BD360C at Costco this weekend and see if it has the same problems (and I'll return it next week).

I'll share my findings here !
post #602 of 6914
Well, here's my latest on the 390....went 15 miles away, to the nearest BB that still had one left, and grabbed another 390...this is my 3rd...

Has the same lip sync issue, this one seems to be the least affected of the bunch, and/or I'm just adapting to it...kinda scary!

BTW, mine has lip sync issues in all modes, be it Blu Ray disc, SD DVD, Netflix, or You Tube...

You Tube seems especially bad, that might have something to do with the amateur videos, or equipment used, as some are worse than others...but I have yet to see anything these players have put out that is in sync.

So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do next...was up at BB looking at the Panasonic and the Pioneer players...but I'll really miss the Netflix...

The Panasonic has You Tube, and something called Viera cast...need to research that a little more...

A quick question, are there any other Netflix stand alone streaming units besides the Roku?

My thinking there is, if the Panasonic was problem free, and I wanted to stream Netflix, I would have another option, since Roku isn't very highly rated on Netflix streaming quality..

Also, anyone have both the LG 390 and the Panasonic BD89K for comparison on PQ, and upconverting SD DVD's?

Thanks!!

Glenn
post #603 of 6914
I hooked up my 390 today and so far I see no evidence of Lip Synch issues. It found updated firmware as it was supposed to using a wired LAN using a Powerline Adapter.

It is a May build.
post #604 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

I hooked up my 390 today and so far I see no evidence of Lip Synch issues.

I'm up to about eight Blu-ray titles with the BD390 without any lip sync issues (both optical and HDMI). So far this player has been a killer. I'm getting another OPPO tomorrow and not really looking forward to it as the BD390 is fast and puts out a terrific image. Just about all I ever need... and the network streaming is there if I get bored.
post #605 of 6914
it seems as if this player doesn't want to play certain Youtube music videos for some reason(most of the official videos) A lot of the ones in my favorites list appear online but not on this player, and they don't show when I search for them either
copy right issues maybe
post #606 of 6914
I have a few of my personal youtubes not listing on the LG. No copyright issue, its my home made video. Not sure why one or two youtubes will not list under my acct. I may try messing with converting the original pre youtube video, then resending it, and see if it lists. I think it may be an issue with the original video format before youtube converts it to their format. I've ran into this before with youtube. You'd think once youtube converts it, all their video formats are the same. I don't think so. Maybe resolution, frame rate or audio format/encoding of the original pre-youtube video vs post youtube conversion...? Something? The two home made youtubes that the LG will not list were originally right from a DV camcorder, sent up to my youtube acct. That might be a clue.
post #607 of 6914
Hmmm. Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that
LG is only giving a 90 day labor warranty on this unit (390).
I'm not into buying contracts on these types of things, but 90 days
isn't very long!
post #608 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I'm up to about eight Blu-ray titles with the BD390 without any lip sync issues (both optical and HDMI). So far this player has been a killer. I'm getting another OPPO tomorrow and not really looking forward to it as the BD390 is fast and puts out a terrific image. Just about all I ever need... and the network streaming is there if I get bored.

What is the build date and batch number for your player?

I tried my friend's May 2009 unit last night with my amp ( HDMI, optical and multichannel) and also straight to my display. SD DVDs and BDs still show lip sync. This whole thing is wacky!
post #609 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneg View Post

Hmmm. Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that
LG is only giving a 90 day labor warranty on this unit (390).
I'm not into buying contracts on these types of things, but 90 days
isn't very long!

Did not know that - that is pitiful compared to a 1 year on pioneer, oppo, jvc, and onkyo. Samsung also has very limited warranties - think parts for a year; parts and labor for only 90 days.
post #610 of 6914
Just came back from Costco (Canada) and bought the BD360. I don't really know how it differs from the 370C (the manual is the same for both), and they look really similar. The major difference is the lack of "bling" around the center buttons. The 360 actually looks more "serious".

I paid 250$ Canadian before taxes: pretty good deal, and Costco's warranty is one year.

My setup is a Denon AVR-988 going to a Samsung 67' LED DLP using HDMI all the way. I use the bitstream option and let the Denon decode the audio.

The firmware version is V4.090.00.24.

There's an update available (V7.127.00.26), but let's have fun with the old one first !


First thing I tried were a few AVCHD discs that I made using the Hauppauge HD PVR. They all played fine, with superb 1080i picture and 5.1 sound. Very close to the broadcast original.

I then tried an HD mkv file of an episode of "Star Trek: TOS" that I downloaded. The original source was an HD DVD. The LG displayed a message that basically said it could have problems playing the file, but it played perfectly.

"Iron Man" on Blu-ray played as well or better than it did on my Samsung BD-UP5000 dual-format player. I think it was a notch better. Dolby TrueHD sounded great. Same thing with "Hellboy II" with the DTS HD-MA soundtrack. On my Samsung, "Hellboy II" displayed an annoying icon (for the "U-Control" interactive functions) that could only be turned off by selecting "no on-screen display" in the setup menu. Well, the LG displayed no icon.

While playing a special features segment from "The Cell" on DVD, an angle icon was displayed for a few seconds but vanished all by itself. Same thing with the animated "Clerks Uncensored": at the beginning of an episode, the angle icon appeared for a few seconds and then... gone. No big deal for me: that behaviour is pretty standard.

And the big question: "What about lip sync issues ?".

The answer: none. AVCHD, mkv, DVD and Blu-ray played precisely synchronized.

Is it because my AVR corrects it ? Maybe. But at this point, I don't care, because it's an incredible player, by my standards. And since my players all go through the Denon before going to the TV, I see (hear) no problem at all with this player.

By the way, Youtube plays just as badly as from a computer.

After the firmware update, everything was the same: no bugs introduced. Audio is still perfect and the angle icon still does it's quick appearance before going away.

So for me, it's a keeper: price is great, picture quality very high and no annoying bugs (so far...)
post #611 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydoc View Post

Well, here's my latest on the 390....went 15 miles away, to the nearest BB that still had one left, and grabbed another 390...this is my 3rd...

Has the same lip sync issue, this one seems to be the least affected of the bunch, and/or I'm just adapting to it...kinda scary!

BTW, mine has lip sync issues in all modes, be it Blu Ray disc, SD DVD, Netflix, or You Tube...

You Tube seems especially bad, that might have something to do with the amateur videos, or equipment used, as some are worse than others...but I have yet to see anything these players have put out that is in sync.

So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do next...was up at BB looking at the Panasonic and the Pioneer players...but I'll really miss the Netflix...

The Panasonic has You Tube, and something called Viera cast...need to research that a little more...

A quick question, are there any other Netflix stand alone streaming units besides the Roku?

My thinking there is, if the Panasonic was problem free, and I wanted to stream Netflix, I would have another option, since Roku isn't very highly rated on Netflix streaming quality..

Also, anyone have both the LG 390 and the Panasonic BD89K for comparison on PQ, and upconverting SD DVD's?

Thanks!!

Glenn

The last one I tested was May 2009 and it wasn't as bad. What is the build date for the last player you got? Maybe I have to wait for June 2009 for the lip sync to not be a problem at all?

Are you going to keep this last player you bought?
post #612 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post

So for me, it's a keeper: price is great, picture quality very high and no annoying bugs (so far...)

I'm glad you gave it a try. This is why I asked earlier if you had experienced any of the bugs you were complaining about. I could be mistaken but there has been something like three owners report lip sync issues. When they report them over and over it appears to be about 99% of owners. I'm sure it's a real issue for some but at this point in time I find it hard to dismiss the player because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post

I'll way until they fix these issues before buying it.
post #613 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I could be mistaken but there has been something like three owners report lip sync issues. When they report them over and over it appears to be about 99% of owners. I'm sure it's a real issue for some but at this point in time I find it hard to dismiss the player because of it.

You are absolutely correct. I now know of 2 friends at my local BB who also purchased the player. NO lipsync issues with either one. One guy did exchange his though because of Netflix randomly disconnecting, but even he thinks its probably not the player itself but had to exchange it anyway to verify. This is not to say that some have the issue though. If it is an issue, I'm sure a fw update will address it as Toshiba addressed it with their HD players at one time.
post #614 of 6914
Anyone know the difference between the BD360 and BD370C? Does the BD360 output 1080/24p, LPCM for the HD audio codecs? Does it stream Divx over the network? How is SD upscaling? If this player is good I may get one and move the PS3 to the bedroom.

Edit: I just noticed the BD370C is on sale at FS right now until 6/25 for the same price as the BD360.
post #615 of 6914
That's right. The same generic answer. Is it just me or they really seem not to know what they are talking about?

Anyway, I think I will give up this player. The angle icon is a real deal breaker for me, not to mention the lip sync problem. Although I really believe that LG will address these issues in the future, I simply can't afford the risk. From what information I've been gathering, the best for me is to go JVC. It not only plays MKV on DVD-Rs (which is how I keep my files anyway) but it also can be found for HALF the price of the BD390, not to mention that it plays NTSC and PAL DVDs in 24 fps. If you compare the forums, 99 % of the JVC player owners are more than happy with it. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the LG owners.

So I really hope that LG solves these problems for you guys. Thank you very much for your input and good luck to you all.
post #616 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Anyone know the difference between the BD360 and BD370C? Does the BD360 output 1080/24p, LPCM for the HD audio codecs? Does it stream Divx over the network? How is SD upscaling? If this player is good I may get one and move the PS3 to the bedroom.

Comparing the 360 with the 370 on LG.ca, I can see a cosmetic difference but not much else: but it is implied that the 370C could stream from a network. The 360 does output 1080/24p (superb picture !) and it also outputs up to 7.1 LPCM channels depending on the codec on the disc: for example, TrueHD 7.1 can be output as LPCM 7.1 using HDMI (no 7.1 analog output jacks).

The BD360 does not stream from a home network (maybe the 370 can do that): the only network related activity is BD-LIVE access or Youtube streaming. So it's either a case of USB key or DVD-R for Divx.

The HD upscaling looks better than my OPPO 971. Very very good, in fact.

I'm not into testing the load times with a stopwatch, but it's WAY faster than my old Sony 300 and my Samsung BD-UP5000.

I only bought this player to give it a try, not expecting much, but now, I'm keeping it !
post #617 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymythos View Post

That's right. The same generic answer. Is it just me or they really seem not to know what they are talking about?

Anyway, I think I will give up this player. The angle icon is a real deal breaker for me, not to mention the lip sync problem. Although I really believe that LG will address these issues in the future, I simply can't afford the risk. From what information I've been gathering, the best for me is to go JVC. It not only plays MKV on DVD-Rs (which is how I keep my files anyway) but it also can be found for HALF the price of the BD390, not to mention that it plays NTSC and PAL DVDs in 24 fps. If you compare the forums, 99 % of the JVC player owners are more than happy with it. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the LG owners.

So I really hope that LG solves these problems for you guys. Thank you very much for your input and good luck to you all.

As good as that player is supposed to be, make sure you buy sunglasses with it to help dim the bright display and function lights. Seriously though, good luck eith the Jvc. I am confident though that LG will have a fix comming for the angle icon. It has only been on the market for almost 1 month and has had only 1 update. My Panasonic has had no less than 6 or 7.
post #618 of 6914
My BD390 with 8' rockfish HDMI cable to a 55LH40 display and then feeding the optical audio out to my Yamaha receiver has lip syncing lag. I sent the Optical audio directly from the BD390 and it fixed the problem.

not sure which end it is on, I am guessing the display? Any ideas on testing before I call?
post #619 of 6914
Does anybody know if Logitech diNovo mini keyboard can be used with BD390?
Thank you.
post #620 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymythos View Post

That's right. The same generic answer. Is it just me or they really seem not to know what they are talking about?

Anyway, I think I will give up this player. The angle icon is a real deal breaker for me, not to mention the lip sync problem. Although I really believe that LG will address these issues in the future, I simply can't afford the risk. From what information I've been gathering, the best for me is to go JVC. It not only plays MKV on DVD-Rs (which is how I keep my files anyway) but it also can be found for HALF the price of the BD390, not to mention that it plays NTSC and PAL DVDs in 24 fps. If you compare the forums, 99 % of the JVC player owners are more than happy with it. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the LG owners.

So I really hope that LG solves these problems for you guys. Thank you very much for your input and good luck to you all.

JVC is the poor man's oppo and offers identical performance 90-95% of the time. The LG and JVC are closely related (same gui, maybe same case). I suspect LG will address some issues via firmware, but is it really worth crossing your fingers?

The JVC does not stream Netflix, lacks 7.1 analogues, and lacks tweaking menus, but its speed and video performance are top notch despite its $200 pricetag.
post #621 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I'm glad you gave it a try. This is why I asked earlier if you had experienced any of the bugs you were complaining about. I could be mistaken but there has been something like three owners report lip sync issues. When they report them over and over it appears to be about 99% of owners. I'm sure it's a real issue for some but at this point in time I find it hard to dismiss the player because of it.

No, actually it is 100% of the players for me, winston, rotarydoc and also my friend. Seriously, shall we continue to try some more of them and expect something to change?

Something is going on and it is a matter of finding out how to resolve it.
post #622 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

No, actually it is 100% of the players for me, winston, rotarydoc and also my friend. Seriously, shall we continue to try some more of them and expect something to change?

I wouldn't that's why they make more than one Blu-ray player. So you can find one that works for you! A little different but the same basic principal. I never use Panasonic Blu-ray players since you can't force 24fps... they simply don't work for me. Of course for others they work great.
post #623 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

The JVC does not stream Netflix, lacks 7.1 analogues, and lacks tweaking menus, but its speed and video performance are top notch despite its $200 pricetag.

For many users the ability to stream via UPNP servers makes the BD390 a clear winner over the lesser models. Not to mention it's the only player to include wireless-N.
post #624 of 6914
I have tried a Sam BD-P1600, BD-3600 and now just got a LG 390. I'm really happy with the LG. I loads faster than the Samsungs, streams Netflix faster and better quality and while one of the CNET complaints was the remote felt a little cheesy, I like it better than the Samsung because the buttons you never use are hidden so it's a cleaner interface IMHO. The onscreen UI is better than Samsung and of course you get YouTube and CinemaNow (when you do the upgrade). BUT.. if you're a Mac user, LG doesn't see access your Mac on the LAN, at least not yet. I "think" they are working on it. Also, Samsung offers Pandora, LG doesn't. Again, at least not yet. LG is open for service 24/7, Samsung closes at midnight. Plus if it becomes an industry wide standard, LG has dlna. I found the picture image warmer and more real. The Sammy was a tad fake / processed looking to me. The P3600 and LG 390 are both selling today at $350 at BestBuy, and for my money, go LG. And get the 390 over the 370 if you can afford the extra coin. Enjoy.
post #625 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I wouldn't that's why they make more than one Blu-ray player. So you can find one that works for you! A little different but the same basic principal. I never use Panasonic Blu-ray players since you can't force 24fps... they simply don't work for me. Of course for others they work great.

A Catch 22 I suppose. I have and used other BD players that don't have the lip sync issue BUT the PQ isn't as good or something else is an issue (I won't list examples, it isn't relevant to this thread)!

I'm determined to figure this out for this player one way or another for a resolution. If the fix is indeed a FW update then so be it. I hope not as some folks aren't having the issue but time will tell. It is what is giving some folks hope to try another BD390 but like I said, I don't thing it will help with their specific display or amp.

Thanks to all who have posted with their experiences so far.
post #626 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmerls View Post

BUT.. if you're a Mac user, LG doesn't see access your Mac on the LAN, at least not yet. I "think" they are working on it.

I couldn't get MediaLink (it showed up but couldn't be accessed) to work on my Mac which worked perfectly with the PS3. More for the heck of it versus expecting them to solve the issue I called their support and indeed they were helpless. They keep coming back to the Nero software they provide isn't supported on Macs which is irrelevant as I was trying to use a UPNP server of which they allegedly support.

If that's a deal breaker I wouldn't keep the player expecting it to change down the road. More often than not that approach has proven less than successful regardless of the manufacturer.
post #627 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I wouldn't that's why they make more than one Blu-ray player. So you can find one that works for you! A little different but the same basic principal. I never use Panasonic Blu-ray players since you can't force 24fps... they simply don't work for me. Of course for others they work great.

Panasonic 35, 55, 60 and 80 can all force 24fps. It's hidden in the picture adjustment menu, but they've been doing it for nearly a year.
post #628 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Panasonic 35, 55, 60 and 80 can all force 24fps. It's hidden in the picture adjustment menu, but they've been doing it for nearly a year.

You can select it but not force it... there is a difference. Do they not rely on EDID? Among endless posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16250779

Panasonics have never had a "force" option for 24hz. They will allow 24hz to be turned on IF the display and display chain while doing the hdmi handshake informs the blu-ray player that the display is 100% compliant with 24hz. And there is no wiggle room on the 100%.
post #629 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

You can select it but not force it... there is a difference. Do they not rely on EDID? Among endless posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16250779

Panasonics have never had a "force" option for 24hz. They will allow 24hz to be turned on IF the display and display chain while doing the hdmi handshake informs the blu-ray player that the display is 100% compliant with 24hz. And there is no wiggle room on the 100%.

don't want to debate semantics, but the panasonics can output dvds at 24hz - call it want you want - it has worked on both sony lcds and pioneer plasmas for me.
post #630 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

don't want to debate semantics, but the panasonics can output dvds at 24hz - call it want you want - it has worked on both sony lcds and pioneer plasmas for me.

I am not even addressing DVD... it won't do 24Hz at all unless the player likes what it receives via the EDID handshake. If you aren't familiar with EDID... the player asks the display which resolutions it supports and if it doesn't include 24Hz the Panasonic will not send anything via 24Hz. With most other players you can force 24Hz by simple selecting it... they don't rely on the EDID data.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread