or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 226

post #6751 of 6914
Recently I have problem with my LG BD-390 because it won't play DVD's (mostly DL DVD's) with mkv movies. Not all of them but only some of them but quite enough even if it's only few...

Problem is that it will open that movies (well most of them) from the external hard-disk but not from DVD which mean it is not problem with movie format.

Also that DVD's with movies I can open with my notebook or desktop and watch them but can't open them only with my BD-390.

I've tried several burners, several softwares (Nero, Ashampoo, Burnaware even the W7 software...) and several different DVD's (Verbatim, Maxell, Sony etc.) and it's the same problem - open from external HD but not from DVD.

It says it is the latest firmware installed.

What coul be problem and how can I solve it?
Thanks in advance.
post #6752 of 6914
I was thinking to upgrade to firmware version #557 from #554. When I read back the previous posts, there were some complaints about #557. Does anyone have #557 working properly? What fixes are there in #557?
post #6753 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post

I was thinking to upgrade to firmware version #557 from #554. When I read back the previous posts, there were some complaints about #557. Does anyone have #557 working properly? What fixes are there in #557?

I've had 557 working for quite a while, probably close to as long as it's been available. Some other people did report some problems with it though.

I don't know what specifically was fixed, but probably included playback issues with some specific BD's.

With the LG you can at least back rev the firmware if you have problems. There is a download site setup with most of the past versions available.
post #6754 of 6914
Thanks davelr. I upgraded to 557 and so far did not find issues with playing bluray discs. One thing I noticed in #554 and now on #557 is that the Youtube app is not showing the search assist dropdown anymore while typing in your search criteria. Anyone knows what's causing this?
post #6755 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post

Thanks davelr. I upgraded to 557 and so far did not find issues with playing bluray discs. One thing I noticed in #554 and now on #557 is that the Youtube app is not showing the search assist dropdown anymore while typing in your search criteria. Anyone knows what's causing this?

You're right, don't use it much so I hadn't noticed it before. You can always revert back if it's a big problem.
post #6756 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post

Thanks davelr. I upgraded to 557 and so far did not find issues with playing bluray discs. One thing I noticed in #554 and now on #557 is that the Youtube app is not showing the search assist dropdown anymore while typing in your search criteria. Anyone knows what's causing this?

I noticed this awhile back, was wondering what happened now i'm going back!!
why would they remove a great feature, saves time trying to letter by letter search
post #6757 of 6914
So new issue just popped up this morning. I'm on the .557 firmware and have been since it was released. Here's the issue. I can no longer connect to the My Media section. The player starts to go to the Server and then the player freezes and turns off. Netflix works fine. I've cycled my router to no avail. Worked fine at 1am this morning, now at 9am Central, it's doing this. Any thoughts?

If I'm indeed down and out, are there newer models that are suggested. I don't need 3D but still want to retain online features, wifi, and network playback of my media files.

Apparently, a factory reset fixed the issue. Strange, almost like the winsock fix on an xp machine. :-)
post #6758 of 6914
Went back to 544, still no search assist, maybe it's permanently gone?, really liked that feature
post #6759 of 6914
I went back all the way to 532 and there is no search assist. Perhaps it's going away wasn't a firmware issue?
post #6760 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

I went back all the way to 532 and there is no search assist. Perhaps it's going away wasn't a firmware issue?

Yes i went back too dave, kinda sucks, maybe youtube software change, I even tried clearing out all the app's, restore, still no search.
post #6761 of 6914
I signed up for the Netflix streaming service and opted out of receiving Blu-ray discs and tried it last night. We're watching Lost and have really enjoyed the HD audio--however when streaming through Netflix it's only 2 channel audio?! I have streamed HD movies through Vudu before with the BD390 and it had hd 5.1 audio...what's the problem?
post #6762 of 6914
Netflix does not offer 5:1 sound
post #6763 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

Netflix does not offer 5:1 sound

That is not true. I watched a movie on Netflix last night in Dolby Digital 5.1 on my Sony BDP-390
post #6764 of 6914
So...I'm confused. Is this a problem with the LG blu-ray player?
post #6765 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay7 View Post

So...I'm confused. Is this a problem with the LG blu-ray player?

The Netflix app on the 390 is old and DD 5.1 will never be supported.
post #6766 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

The Netflix app on the 390 is old and DD 5.1 will never be supported.

Why is that exactly...isn't that why there are software updates?
post #6767 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay7 View Post

Why is that exactly...isn't that why there are software updates?

They will not upgrade features on older models. Bug fixes only.

And

According to this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377649

Netflix DD on LG blurays won't be supported until the 2012 models.

I'm still reading that thread.
post #6768 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay7 View Post

Why is that exactly...isn't that why there are software updates?

I was not knocking the LG. My two year old Sony blu-ray will not support 5.1 sound from Netflix either. The Sony BDP-s390 that supports 5.1 sound from Netflix is a 2012 model.
post #6769 of 6914
I call bs on that. I don't consider it an upgrade when it's a feature that is supported through other apps (e.g. Vudu) on the same unit. For the price that was paid for the unit, LG needs to make it right if they want my repeat business.
post #6770 of 6914
First of all, let me say that I can't believe how helpful this forum has been. Waaay better than LG tech support!

I've got a BD390 that has several problems since the latest firmware (Ver. BD.8.08.557.B) was distributed.

First, ever since applying this upgrade, my player refuses to recognize AVCHDs recorded using DVD+R DL media - and these are discs that played fine using 544.B! It now recognizes them as "Blu Ray" and then ejects them. However, my daughter's BD390 works just fine with these discs using 557.B.

After some investigation, I see that my player's "Driver" firmware version is H42301 - and I know from Google that the current version is, at least, H42400 for my player's "older" disc drive. This player was manufactured in May, 2009. My daughter's player (mfg. September 2009) uses H51203 - so it apparently has the new drive... and driver.

When I reinstall the older firmware (544.B), the unit recognizes AVCHD DL media and plays these perfectly - though it does, on occasion, hang briefly and then skip when changing layers.

My second problem is that the player cannot recognize LTH media, while my daughter's player has no trouble whatsoever with the very same discs. In fact, my daughter's player (presumably by virtue of either it's newer drive or "driver" has virtually none of these problems). And this problem does not seem to be related to the player's firmware version. I can only conclude that my problems are due to my having the old "driver" for the player's disc drive.

I spent a few hours trying to locate these driver files (HL04P-ROM) and it appears that all of the megafileupload links are no longer valid.

I'm wondering if there is anyone still reading these forums who might be able to provide, or point me to, the latest H42400 Driver or newer? I love this player's capabilities and if I could just fix this one issue...
post #6771 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post

...

I'm wondering if there is anyone still reading these forums who might be able to provide, or point me to, the latest H42400 Driver or newer? I love this player's capabilities and if I could just fix this one issue...

Never been entirely clear how the drivers got updated. My BD390 was purchased in fall of 2009 and has the same driver as your daughter's.

I did find references that seemed to imply that the driver was updated to this level back around firmware 528 to 532, but these weren't very clear.

I put all the firmware I could get my hands on in this location:

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/C...a/_online.html

You could try going back to some of the earlier ones to see if they install a newer driver. In addition, the 542 version was sent to me and contains a .bin file that the sender claimed was a driver file. Its number doesn't match any of those you were asking about though, and I've never seen any guidance on how to update the drivers.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
post #6772 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

Never been entirely clear how the drivers got updated. My BD390 was purchased in fall of 2009 and has the same driver as your daughter's.

I did find references that seemed to imply that the driver was updated to this level back around firmware 528 to 532, but these weren't very clear.

I put all the firmware I could get my hands on in this location:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/C-BAh4Ja/_online.html

You could try going back to some of the earlier ones to see if they install a newer driver. In addition, the 542 version was sent to me and contains a .bin file that the sender claimed was a driver file. Its number doesn't match any of those you were asking about though, and I've never seen any guidance on how to update the drivers.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Davelr, thank you very much for that reply. I had seen the above link - posted by you earlier in this thread - but when I tried to follow it (as well as this posting's link), I get the following message from 4shared: "The file link that you requested is not valid.". I'm not sure why I'm unable to access these files, have you been able to successfully access those files in the past week or so?

I even opened an account there, but still wasn't able to get anywhere... and I'm usually pretty good at cutting through the barriers, lol. I also tried to follow those megaupload links from back in early 2010.

Funny thing about my player is that I actually got mine in January 2010 - and still got an "oldie".

Thanks again for the reply!
post #6773 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post

Davelr, thank you very much for that reply. I had seen the above link - posted by you earlier in this thread - but when I tried to follow it (as well as this posting's link), I get the following message from 4shared: "The file link that you requested is not valid.". I'm not sure why I'm unable to access these files, have you been able to successfully access those files in the past week or so?

I even opened an account there, but still wasn't able to get anywhere... and I'm usually pretty good at cutting through the barriers, lol. I also tried to follow those megaupload links from back in early 2010.

Funny thing about my player is that I actually got mine in January 2010 - and still got an "oldie".

Thanks again for the reply!

Ok, ignore all the following, just PM me your email address and I'll start sending you the firmware files. 4share seems to be having problems or something.





Try again, I just tried it twice and it was ok. The link did malfunction earlier (never figured out why) so I reset it this morning and it seems to be working. If you're not successful PM me and we can try something else.



Well, this morning it was messed up again. Not sure if 4share is having problems or what. You can try this link

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/C...a/_online.html

which drops into the directory, but if that doesn't work, PM me your email address and I'll start sending you the files one at a time. They are around 50M so probably should be ok in your email system size-wize.

Sorry for problem. I may look for a different sharing site and move the files.
post #6774 of 6914
Algae - please read Private Message I sent you. (See upper right of forum screen)

Dave
post #6775 of 6914
To all,

I did some work at the 4share site with the firmware files and it "seems" to be working now. The link below should be working. If they don't work for you please send me a PM. Thanks



http://www.4shared.com/folder/C-BAh4Ja/_online.html
post #6776 of 6914

Would anyone here happen to still have these files? When I follow the links I - eventually - get a "file not found" and I'm unable to locate these anywhere on the 'net. I'm pretty desperate! I do have most of the firmware versions for this machine if anyone needs them - of course just not the one *I* need. :-(
post #6777 of 6914
Is it still possible to hack a US version of this player to make it region free?
post #6778 of 6914
I have the BD390 and seem to have the same issue with the latest revision. Will not read or play Blu Rays or DVD's. It says no disc on DVD's and Disc Error on Blu Rays. I'll try getting a previous version but I'm hoping a new revision will come out to correct this issue.
post #6779 of 6914
I am trying to write to a USB drive using a MAC. Does anyone know if there are issues with using a MAC?
post #6780 of 6914
Quote:
Originally Posted by awalker53 View Post

I am trying to write to a USB drive using a MAC. Does anyone know if there are issues with using a MAC?

A Mac will read/write files to a USB drive if it is formatted as FAT32.

It won't (without extra software) if the drive is formatted as NTFS.

It will also read/write a USB drive that is formatted as Mac OS Extended; but the LG, or anything else for that matter, won't read it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread