or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 427

post #12781 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

I've been having exactly the same issue running the analog outs through my Parasound Halo C2. For me, there are no pops as long as the TV connected to the player via HDMI/DVI is turned on. In my case it's an older Toshiba rear projection HDTV that only has a DVI input. As soon as the TV is turned off, the pops come back, unless I unplug the HDMI/DVI cable. I agree that pure audio mode does not help. Very strange and irritating!

As long as HDMI audio is enabled in the player, it's not strange at all. If it does this with HDMI audio disabled, then it's a bug that should be worked out. Also be aware that many monitors have "hot" HDMI ports even when turned off.
post #12782 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

I will. This week just has been crazy (at work) and haven't had a chance yet.
I'm just trying to get an idea from people who have already done it. Basically, what's the optimal BDP-83 audio setting for DVD/BD playback AND audio setting for CD and SACD playback.
I have both connections to Onkyo 875 -- HDMI 1.3 and Analog stereo.

From what I read:
multichannel audio (SACD, DVD, BD) over HDMI should be:
  • HDMI Audio - Bitstream
  • SACD Output - DSD

CD audio over analog stereo should be:
  • HDMI Audio - Off
  • SACD Output - PCM

But is there a compromise setting? I mean I don't want to change these settings every time I go back and forth between CD/BD. I'm not aware of any button that does that switch. It's not a big deal to leave HDMI Audio in Bitstream setting, but is there any faster way to switch between DSD and PCM. If not, then I'll probably leave it in DSD at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

HDMI audio can be either bitstream or PCM according to your needs. Never any need to turn it off.

SACD should be set to PCM any time you wish to use analog outs, and can be left at PCM all the time with no loss of quality.

All this is covered in the FAQ and manual.

Last night I set up this configuration on BDP-83 (connected via HDMI and Analog stereo):
  • HDMI Audio - Bitstream
  • SACD Output - PCM
and used multiple MP3s to play around with settings on AVR. I tried 3 different settings on Onkyo 875 (via stereo connection):
  1. Direct
  2. Pure Audio
  3. Stereo
To me, Direct sounded the "dullsest". Pure Audio was a bit better. Stereo had the best depth - the musical instruments seemed a lot "closer" to me. I still haven't tested any CDs, so it may change.
post #12783 of 39278
Okay, I have read many of the posts here, but not all of them.

Here is my question: Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not? The wait has been very long and much anticipated. I'd like to make the jump but I already did that once with the Toshiba A-2 and I want to get a unit that I'm happy with for a few years.

Thanks.
post #12784 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

Last night I set up this configuration on BDP-83 (connected via HDMI and Analog stereo):
  • HDMI Audio - Bitstream
  • SACD Output - PCM
and used multiple MP3s to play around with settings on AVR. I tried 3 different settings on Onkyo 875 (via stereo connection):
  1. Direct
  2. Pure Audio
  3. Stereo
To me, Direct sounded the "dullsest". Pure Audio was a bit better. Stereo had the best depth - the musical instruments seemed a lot "closer" to me. I still haven't tested any CDs, so it may change.

I'm gonna suggest you use something other than MP3 for judging audio quality. The player is capable of so much more. I'd use a 2-ch SACD, or at least a VERY well mastered CD.
post #12785 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not?

All of us are no longer waiting.
post #12786 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Okay, I have read many of the posts here, but not all of them.

Here is my question: Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not? The wait has been very long and much anticipated. I'd like to make the jump but I already did that once with the Toshiba A-2 and I want to get a unit that I'm happy with for a few years.

Thanks.

The only question to ask yourself is if there is anything you want a player to do and do well that the Oppo doesn't do.
post #12787 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Here is my question: Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not? The wait has been very long and much anticipated.

There is no one answer to that. For some people, no Blu-ray player will be worth $500 - either because they can't afford it or because their needs can be satisfied with a basic entry-level Panasonic or Sony for somewhere around $250. What I will say is that I continue to believe that this thing could have been priced another $100 higher and still been a killer value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

I'd like to make the jump but I already did that once with the Toshiba A-2 and I want to get a unit that I'm happy with for a few years.

I also had (still have) an HD-A2. This is no HD-A2. I can see being happy with the BDP-83 for a long, long time.
post #12788 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

To me, Direct sounded the "dullsest". Pure Audio was a bit better. Stereo had the best depth - the musical instruments seemed a lot "closer" to me. I still haven't tested any CDs, so it may change.

Both Direct and Pure Audio would be bypassing your Audyssey room correction and bass management (assuming that the 875 receiver behaves like my 885 processor does), while Stereo does not. I wonder if that is contributing to your findings.
post #12789 of 39278
I've had my 83 now for 2 weeks and everything I've played has played flawlessly and I love every source (BD, AVCHD - music only, SACD and DVD-A). I appreciate AVS and especially this thread and I know my success has been because I have followed the excellent advice noted here.
However I have a problem that perhaps I have overlooked it's being addressed here and before I emailed OPPO I thought I would present it here: MY 83 is connected to an Anthem D2 via HDMI 1.1 and my HDMI audio is set to LPCM and SACD output is PCM. My overall setup is 7.1 with large Front and Center speakers and dual subwoofers.

The problem I have is that a Chesky (Audiophile vocal recording) SACD that is recorded as a "STEREO ONLY!!" SACD recording, is played back through all speakes (i.e. multi-channel) no matter what I change via the 83's setup. I've tried changing the SACD priority to stereo, the speaker config to downmix to stereo (which is not needed with a D2) and still all speakers play. I do not use analog outs at this time, so this has not been tried (I hate to go thru the pains of bass management problems or lose my room correction with my ARC application from my D2). My confusion lies in that with my PS3 this disc worked perfectly using the same HDMI connection to my D2.
Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!
post #12790 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Okay, I have read many of the posts here, but not all of them.

Here is my question: Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not?

Isn't "worth" always subjective? How can anyone answer that for you? I suppose you could put up a poll.

The other one that gives me metaphysical disorientation is "Will I see/hear any difference between..." How can anyone say what another person will see or hear?

-Bill
post #12791 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDSMD1 View Post

I've had my 83 now for 2 weeks and everything I've played has played flawlessly and I love every source (BD, AVCHD - music only, SACD and DVD-A). I appreciate AVS and especially this thread and I know my success has been because I have followed the excellent advice noted here.
However I have a problem that perhaps I have overlooked it's being addressed here and before I emailed OPPO I thought I would present it here: MY 83 is connected to an Anthem D2 via HDMI 1.1 and my HDMI audio is set to LPCM and SACD output is PCM. My overall setup is 7.1 with large Front and Center speakers and dual subwoofers.

The problem I have is that a Chesky (Audiophile vocal recording) SACD that is recorded as a "STEREO ONLY!!" SACD recording, is played back through all speakes (i.e. multi-channel) no matter what I change via the 83's setup. I've tried changing the SACD priority to stereo, the speaker config to downmix to stereo (which is not needed with a D2) and still all speakers play. I do not use analog outs at this time, so this has not been tried (I hate to go thru the pains of bass management problems or lose my room correction with my ARC application from my D2). My confusion lies in that with my PS3 this disc worked perfectly using the same HDMI connection to my D2.
Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

When you use the OSD in the player, what does it say the audio is? 2.0 or 4.0? Chesky is famous for weird surround modes.

On the surface it sounds like your D2 is set to apply some decoder to 2-ch audio. None of the downmix or speakers settings in the player will effect the digital outs.
post #12792 of 39278
Okay guys, I fully understand that A/V in general is very subjective. Maybe a rephrasing of my question would be better received:

For those that now own the BDP-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

I am more than willing to shell out $500 for a nice player. I can read about the features and decide which of them are important to me. But like many people, I don't want to take the time to personally test several units to compare. That's why I come to avs. I trust the information I gather from this forum and I enjoy reading many of the posts. I have used information from avs to purchase many items in the past and it's a nice little technical shortcut that people can take without relying on tainted reviews by some of the commercial web sites.

Again, thanks for keeping this forum lively. Those of us that enjoy A/V but don't allow ourselves time to become true experts really appreciate this type of information.

--Brian
post #12793 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

For those that now own the BD-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

The guy who just sold one on eBay for $650 prolly isn't regretting the purchase.
Quote:


I am more than willing to shell out $500 for a nice player. I can read about the features and decide which of them are important to me. But like many people, I don't want to take the time to personally test several units to compare. That's why I come to avs. I trust the information I gather from this forum and I enjoy reading many of the posts. I have used information from avs to purchase many items in the past and it's a nice little technical shortcut that people can take without relying on tainted reviews by some of the commercial web sites.

Again, thanks for keeping this forum lively. Those of us that enjoy A/V but don't allow ourselves time to become true experts really appreciate this type of information.

--Brian

There's aren't "several players" to try in this class. The Oppo stands completely alone. It's a matter of whether you want the features or not. But even if you only want the stellar DVD upscaling and BD playback, it's worth every penny. The discontinued Oppo 983 is still selling used at full retail prices, what does that tell you?
post #12794 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The guy who just sold one on eBay for $650 prolly isn't regretting the purchase.

How about the guys flipping it for $800?


My answer to boiler_maker is this:

I'm a notorious fence sitter. I get buyer's guilt pretty easily...even before I pull the trigger.

If I use the Oppo for nothing else except BD and DVD I will easily feel like I've gotten my money's worth.
post #12795 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Here is my question: Is this Oppo that we have all been waiting for worth the price or not?

I guess people cannot answer simple questions in 'technical talk' threads. From my perspective, the answer to you question is a resounding YES! I've paid far more for far less over the years. Take the plunge!
post #12796 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

When you use the OSD in the player, what does it say the audio is? 2.0 or 4.0? Chesky is famous for weird surround modes.

On the surface it sounds like your D2 is set to apply some decoder to 2-ch audio. None of the downmix or speakers settings in the player will effect the digital outs.

THANKS!!! I had forgotten to change my Bass Management in my D2 to Music which plays in stereo mode.
post #12797 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Okay guys, I fully understand that A/V in general is very subjective. Maybe a rephrasing of my question would be better received:

For those that now own the BDP-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

I am more than willing to shell out $500 for a nice player. I can read about the features and decide which of them are important to me. But like many people, I don't want to take the time to personally test several units to compare. That's why I come to avs. I trust the information I gather from this forum and I enjoy reading many of the posts. I have used information from avs to purchase many items in the past and it's a nice little technical shortcut that people can take without relying on tainted reviews by some of the commercial web sites.

Again, thanks for keeping this forum lively. Those of us that enjoy A/V but don't allow ourselves time to become true experts really appreciate this type of information.

--Brian

The magazine reviews will start trickling in over the next few weeks/months. They are all going to say "Killer product from a great company. Why can't the other guys do this? Here's hoping OPPO makes a cheaper stripped down version..."

The more technically oriented lab-bench people will be just as positive.

-Bill
post #12798 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

Okay guys, I fully understand that A/V in general is very subjective. Maybe a rephrasing of my question would be better received:

For those that now own the BDP-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

I am more than willing to shell out $500 for a nice player. I can read about the features and decide which of them are important to me. But like many people, I don't want to take the time to personally test several units to compare. That's why I come to avs. I trust the information I gather from this forum and I enjoy reading many of the posts. I have used information from avs to purchase many items in the past and it's a nice little technical shortcut that people can take without relying on tainted reviews by some of the commercial web sites.

Again, thanks for keeping this forum lively. Those of us that enjoy A/V but don't allow ourselves time to become true experts really appreciate this type of information.

--Brian

No regrets at all. The only thing I can't figure out is how they can sell a player that does all the things this one does and does well at the price they are asking. Everything else that seems to be at all close as far as feature sets and quality is at least 4 or 5 times the price.
post #12799 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

For those that now own the BDP-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

As a beta tester, I can't answer that one in a way that will be useful to you. I certainly don't regret the time I've spent working with the player as it has matured to be the consumer-ready product it is today. I have also recommended it to several friends already, based on the fact that I trust they won't regret taking my advise.
post #12800 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'm gonna suggest you use something other than MP3 for judging audio quality. The player is capable of so much more. I'd use a 2-ch SACD, or at least a VERY well mastered CD.

Yeah, I will definitely do more evaluation on a good CD and will report back. I think that MP3 files I've used aren't even of a good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Both Direct and Pure Audio would be bypassing your Audyssey room correction and bass management (assuming that the 875 receiver behaves like my 885 processor does), while Stereo does not. I wonder if that is contributing to your findings.

Correct, I'm also running SMS-1 for my sub. What are your settings on 885?
post #12801 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post


For those that now own the BDP-83, is anyone regretting the purchase?

I am more than willing to shell out $500 for a nice player. I can read about the features and decide which of them are important to me. But like many people, I don't want to take the time to personally test several units to compare. That's why I come to avs. I trust the information I gather from this forum and I enjoy reading many of the posts. I have used information from avs to purchase many items in the past and it's a nice little technical shortcut that people can take without relying on tainted reviews by some of the commercial web sites.

Brian,

I'd guess that about 99% of the folks here are going to tell you they are about 99% satisfied with the -83.

So, I'll net it out for you...

Buy it and don't look back. You will not find a better player at almost any price. I think it's as good or better than the Pio -09,which goes for almost 8X more.

It's pretty much "future proof" (if there is such a thing), has most all of the audio and video high end features, is built extremely well, has outstanding support and for the price - you are truly getting an audiophile (no flames please) and a videophile quality product.

End of discussion. I have spoken. Now, go buy the damn thing and report back how much you love it. That is all
post #12802 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirko View Post

Correct, I'm also running SMS-1 for my sub. What are your settings on 885?

I've also got an SMS-1 on my sub at the moment. The SMS-1 is always working for the subwoofer signal, but in Direct and Pure Audio modes there's no bass management to generate a subwoofer signal when you are playing a stereo source like an MP3 file, so the only time the SMS-1 and the sub had any chance of getting a signal was when you were in Stereo mode.

I've used so many different arrangements during beta testing that frankly I lose track of how I've got it set up at times. I've even used the multichannel analog connection pretty frequently, although that's the only time I generally use a mode similar to Direct (both Direct mode and the multichannel analog input operate without any of the DSP features like bass management and Audyssey).
post #12803 of 39278
I wonder how stringent they are on the invites... I had one that expired mid-May but had forgotten about it. I just broke it out and ordered. Wonder if I'll be rejected
post #12804 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

I've been having exactly the same issue running the analog outs through my Parasound Halo C2. For me, there are no pops as long as the TV connected to the player via HDMI/DVI is turned on. In my case it's an older Toshiba rear projection HDTV that only has a DVI input. As soon as the TV is turned off, the pops come back, unless I unplug the HDMI/DVI cable. I agree that pure audio mode does not help. Very strange and irritating!

One thing I didn't try was setting HDMI audio to 'off'. Perhaps this will solve the problem without having to fiddle around with unpluggung the HDMI cable.
post #12805 of 39278
I own DV 981 and BDP 83 When " on" the dvd player's power and navigation butons have blue light on,while the blu ray player has only the power buton lit up.I tried the dim control too.Is this how is supose to be?I looked at pictures on OPPO's website and the playback/navigation buton seem to have that blue light on'I was wondering if it's just my 83.
post #12806 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post


End of discussion. I have spoken. Now, go buy the damn thing and report back how much you love it. That is all

I like this attitude.
post #12807 of 39278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post

I own DV 981 and BDP 83 When " on" the dvd player's power and navigation butons have blue light on,while the blu ray player has only the power buton lit up.I tried the dim control too.Is this how is supose to be?I looked at pictures on OPPO's website and the playback/navigation buton seem to have that blue light on'I was wondering if it's just my 83.

There is no lighting on the navigation keys. Only the Power button and the VFD light up.
post #12808 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

I wonder how stringent they are on the invites... I had one that expired mid-May but had forgotten about it. I just broke it out and ordered. Wonder if I'll be rejected

I think you'll find that Oppo will send you one. (I was ten days past my expiration date when I ordered and they honored it.) Plus, it appears Oppo will soon be making this available to everyone, so they've got nothing to lose by allowing you to purchase one at this time.
post #12809 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It is of negligible benefit, but you can judge for yourself. See the FAQ for more: -Bill

Thanks Bill for the information. I will keep deep color off.

A few days earlier a member (name ?) posted about deep color, I don't exactly remember what was said. It was something like Deep Color wasn't within specifications or wasn't standard yet. Could affect the picture if the set is calibrated for deep color and one and not the other or vice versa.
post #12810 of 39278
Forum member bbar asked me to test a DTS HD-MA 5.1 disc for audio transmission. The test was if decoded by the player, and sent to my AVR as LPCM via HDMI, would there be sound in the rear channels. There was, although at a much lesser volume than the side surrounds. I didn't set downmix to 5.1 from my usual 7.1 setting, but my AVR indicated it was receiving a 5.1 signal and outputting a 5.1 signal. When set to bitstream the 5.1 and let the receiver do the decoding, the rear surrounds are quiet. Is this a bug, and is this known? I don't remember reading about this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]